ImageImageImageImageImage

why did the bucks and 76ers go ALL in this season?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,367

Re: why did the bucks and 76ers go ALL in this season? 

Post#21 » by TorontoRapsFan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:48 am

sixers all in should have been AD
RaptorHooter
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,184

Post#22 » by RaptorHooter » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:55 am

Cause they know we're waiting for them.
HomieOmey
Head Coach
And1: 563

Post#23 » by HomieOmey » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:57 am

Zeno wrote:Bucks gave up a bunch of 2nds. Raptors still own all their 1sts except next year's which will be like the 29th pick. Only team that went all in were the 76ers.

Haha seriously. There's no real move the Bucks could make that would have them going "all in." That being said, I'm sure they see this as an unexpected chance to make the finals and convince a lot of players that it would be smart to join the run. Curious if teams like the Lakers and Clippers go after Middleton.
TurboZ
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Post#24 » by alienchild » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:17 am

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:I don't think it makes sense. Nothing makes sense, anymore.

That's OP's specialty.
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,320

Post#25 » by Bank Shot » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:26 am

Philly is still setup well for the long-run with these moves. They haven't really given up any significant long-term pieces.
The Bucks would be crazy not to go for it this year. They've been the best team in the league by a fair amount. Ya, the Warriors would be favorites, but with how the Bucks play, they would have a legit shot. They would just have to get hot from deep in four of seven games (see Spurs v. Heat in 2014).
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#26 » by Volcano » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:31 am

Going all in would mean selling out their future to get better now. Neither have done that.
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,402

Post#27 » by ratul » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:36 am

Philly is the strange one if they don’t resign all those guys
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#28 » by johanliebert » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:45 am

They did what the raptors won’t..add talent at the wing position
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Post#29 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:06 am

1.) uncertainty on the availability of star players after this wave. I dont see a set of star wings after the traded ones this season. I also dont see bucks or sixers winning the kd or kawhi fa lottery
2.) gsw looks like the tower of babel with the dmc move then rumors of Kd leaving with the sharp decline of draymond and a struggling klay
3.) bucks built a very special team and are just moving according to the momentum while sixers has a limited window until ben’s max extension while they’re just capitalizing on clips and wolves direction of wanting to dispose tobias and butler
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
rapsdontlie
Pro Prospect
And1: 985

Post#30 » by rapsdontlie » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:31 pm

casey_glory7 wrote:PS I also this what clippers did was intentional because they gave a lot more than the actual value of the trade. "after 6ers and raptors game LA probably encouraged 6ers to go all in and traded their best raptors killers as a free bonus, and said, "heres extra 2 players you can keep along with Tobias. in return we just want you to eliminate raptors so that we could sign kawhi"

I never heard this theory before but you could be on to something here. Assuming it's true, it might backfire though. Kawhi may catch on to what they did and not want to be a part of a sneaky organization like that. Similar to what happened with the Nash free agency when the Raps signed Laundry Fields just to screw over the Knicks so they couldn't sign him. IMO, that likely played a huge part in Nash signing with the Lakers instead of us. It's hard to trust sneaky organizations like that.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,843

Post#31 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:42 pm

Bucks and Sixers haven't gone all in the same way we have. If Kawhi leaves the ride is all but over for us - The old core is gone.

I like what both of those teams have done to bulk up for the playoffs.
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,695

Post#32 » by binjumper » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:05 pm

Cap space. Both teams are going to have issue next year with it. I think the bucks alone are going to have 5 guys needing contracts.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#33 » by Rapsalot » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:14 pm

With no LeBron and Boston not looking smooth these too 5 teams say hey let’s get to finals. Only Indy not there with Victor going down. But they even added.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#34 » by hankscorpioLA » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:11 pm

The Sixers aren't necessarily all in this year. They weren't in a position to have enough cap space to be a big player in free agency next year so they acquired a player they can exceed the cap for.
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,507

Post#35 » by SFour » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:14 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:Bucks and Sixers haven't gone all in the same way we have. If Kawhi leaves the ride is all but over for us - The old core is gone.

Butler and Tobias can leave just like Kawhi can. These guys want to get paid the max.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,741

Post#36 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:14 pm

Elton Brand stated that he realized that the championship window for the Philadelphia 76ers was open after seeing how much Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons improved over the summer.

“So the window is now. The opportunity is now. So once I saw that [Embiid and Simmons improved over the summer], we discussed taking a shot at it now, because who knows how long that window is going to be open?”

Elton Brand really said this.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,741

Post#37 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:27 pm

SFour wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:Bucks and Sixers haven't gone all in the same way we have. If Kawhi leaves the ride is all but over for us - The old core is gone.

Butler and Tobias can leave just like Kawhi can. These guys want to get paid the max.

bucks entire starting lineup minus giannis are free agents.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,756

Post#38 » by Basketball_Jones » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Demar left the conference so everyone in the East thinks they can make the finals now.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,232

Post#39 » by sidsid » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:32 am

76ciology wrote:1.) uncertainty on the availability of star players after this wave. I dont see a set of star wings after the traded ones this season. I also dont see bucks or sixers winning the kd or kawhi fa lottery
2.) gsw looks like the tower of babel with the dmc move then rumors of Kd leaving with the sharp decline of draymond and a struggling klay
3.) bucks built a very special team and are just moving according to the momentum while sixers has a limited window until ben’s max extension while they’re just capitalizing on clips and wolves direction of wanting to dispose tobias and butler

The first point is accurate I think. The Sixers struck out on LeBron et al last year, and now all the speculation is going towards the LA and NY teams. They're taking a calculated risk on bringing these guys together and selling them on the team now instead of just hoping an FA decides to join them.

I think it was the right risk to take considering they were on the outside looking in on expected rumours/destinations and running out of runway after this year.

The Bucks don't have a ton to work with, since their entire team is expiring. It was just a relatively low cost move to add to what they're already doing this year. The whole team might be different next year.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#40 » by Yosemite Dan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:16 am

blastttOFF wrote:Bucks don’t want to lose Giannis, 76ers don’t want to lose butler

They’ll pay Tobias before they pay Butler whose not a max player anymore. Butler’s going to the Lakers, only team dumb enough to give him the max.

Besides the Knicks

Return to Toronto Raptors