ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Jeremy Lin to be bought out and sign with Toronto

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Re: Woj: Jeremy Lin to be bought out and sign with Toronto 

Post#941 » by Bankai » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:54 am

Random thought. Is Jeremy Lin the biggest FA signing since Hedo? And I don't mean guys who re signed. I mean guys looking from the outside and go "yup I want to play for the Raptors." Lin obviously had other teams interested but he chose Toronto.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#942 » by Anatomize » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Bankai wrote:Random thought. Is Jeremy Lin the biggest FA signing since Kapono? And I don't mean guys who re signed. I mean guys looking from the outside and go "yup I want to play for the Raptors." Lin obviously had other teams interested but he chose Toronto.

Fixed
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,232

Post#943 » by sidsid » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:54 pm

SFour wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
sidsid wrote:I may have misheard the in game interview of Nurse, but first red flag on his role came up.

Nurse said something like "he's gonna play that Delon role, going to be the backup PG while Fred is out".

If Fred remains the lead playmaking guard when he gets back we're in trouble.

This is the same as your take with Ibaka. Take Ibaka's role away without any time and take FVVs job away after he returns from injury. You really would not be a very good leader with these kinds of decisions, nor would anyone else that would do this.

I'm pretty sure Raptors coaches have a rule, that if you get injured you don't lose your spot in the rotation or your minutes.

Something tells me that if JV was our starting center and we got Gasol and Gasol was relegated to the bench with less minutes before or after a JV injury these opinions would be reversed.

This isn't a kid's rec league tournament with participation trophies. Lin was and is a better lead guard to do the things Nurse wants his bench lead guard to do than FVV. FVV can still get his bench minutes, in the Delon or Miles role right next to Lin, which is a better fit for him: off-ball guard.

We have a window to win a championship now. Misusing your rotation by putting guys in the wrong roles is not some savvy coaching maneuver, it's just bad coaching.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,784

Post#944 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:56 pm

SFour wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
sidsid wrote:I may have misheard the in game interview of Nurse, but first red flag on his role came up.

Nurse said something like "he's gonna play that Delon role, going to be the backup PG while Fred is out".

If Fred remains the lead playmaking guard when he gets back we're in trouble.

This is the same as your take with Ibaka. Take Ibaka's role away without any time and take FVVs job away after he returns from injury. You really would not be a very good leader with these kinds of decisions, nor would anyone else that would do this.

I'm pretty sure Raptors coaches have a rule, that if you get injured you don't lose your spot in the rotation or your minutes.

They used to I thought. Ether way, they did not follow it for Powell last year, and look how that turned out.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,747

Post#945 » by And1Skip » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:03 pm

sidsid wrote:
SFour wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Something tells me that if JV was our starting center and we got Gasol and Gasol was relegated to the bench with less minutes before or after a JV injury these opinions would be reversed.

This isn't a kid's rec league tournament with participation trophies. Lin was and is a better lead guard to do the things Nurse wants his bench lead guard to do than FVV. FVV can still get his bench minutes, in the Delon or Miles role right next to Lin, which is a better fit for him: off-ball guard.

We have a window to win a championship now. Misusing your rotation by putting guys in the wrong roles is not some savvy coaching maneuver, it's just bad coaching.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. We won't even see FVV back until mid March at the earliest. There's a lot of games during that time and things could evolve that it'll make sense for Lin to be ahead of FVV. Nurse said he wanted Lin to be that "3rd" guard which isn't necessary 3rd PG so it means the opportunity to play with KLow more. In addition, his 25 mins last night was the 3rd most minutes in a game he's played all season. He has missed most of the last 2 years due to injury, last year recovering from one of the most gruesome knee injuries you'll every see - I wouldn't want to ramp up his minutes either. The amount of time he played last night was perfect - hopefully McCaw will be healthy and can be that Delon role while FVV is out.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,784

Post#946 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:04 pm

sidsid wrote:
SFour wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Yeah it’s adults and that’s why you treat them like adults. With respect. All you would do is lose the entire locker room with these kinds of decisions. Treating guys like you suggest would paint the goddamn window shut and is beyond bad coaching, and that us the part you don’t understand.
Ke-y
Sophomore
And1: 241

Post#947 » by Ke-y » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:10 pm

Grape wrote:
Ke-y wrote:Defenisve effort was solid so he'll play. Offensively he was a little lost (to be expected) but I don't think he's a great PNR player he missed so many easy rolls for gasol.. Maybe that comes with chemistry but don't think he's a natural playmaker.. He drives to create his own shot (much like norm) not necesarily for others.

Still solid 3rd string PG.

PNR is literally his game. It was during Linsanity and it still is now. He's one of the most efficient guys in the league on PNR this season. If he's not a good PNR player not sure what he's good at.

Also, while he's more of a scorer, he is definitely a pass first guy and so while I wouldn't think he's a natural playmaker, he is nothing like Norm who is a straight up dawg driving to the hoop. I mean he did have 5 assists today. He loves passing the lob inside when he's on the perimeter just like Lowry. But unlike Lowry, who either shoots or makes a quick bounce pass immediately after the PNR (usually to Serge), Lin likes to take his time and ride the defender on his back and let things develop before either taking it himself or handing it off to the rolling big man.

Not to mention if you give Lin and FVV the same playing time he's averaging more points, assists, rebounds, steals, and blocks than FVV playing on a worse Hawks team. He's averaging 11 points in 19 minutes (20 per 36) on efficient FG shooting whereas Fred is averaging less points in 27 minutes and is shooting inconsistently this year. I'm not sure why he's being penciled in as the third PG, because objectively he's done better than Fred this year. It's not like FVV outplayed him in the past, he's been in the league for 3 years and has never outperformed Lin. Same with OG and Norm if you look at Lin as a 2-guard (though obviously you gotta consider their defense), he's averaging 2-3 more points and assists than both of them in about the same amount of time.

I've followed Lin throughout his career as a Raps fan but I'm quite objective on him and often more negative about his abilities especially compared to his crazy over the top fans who GENUINELY think he should be playing every minute and that he'd be an all star if not for racism. However, it's quite baffling that a proven guy in the league who has averaged easily over 10 points in every season and has shown no statistical decline below the level of our current bench players is just penciled in by some as the third point guard.

And by the way, I am not targeting you with this whole post! Just my thoughts and observations.

Maybe you're more qualified to speak on his merits but I trust fvv.. he's a proven commodity who's built trust with the bench and starters and he's steady in the clutch. I don't see lin displacing him.. This is not a case of gasol vs ibaka where one is much better then the other.

If lin gets hot then your ride linsanity but i doubt he's able to fit like fvv due to lack of chemistry and talent (?).. Fvv has his weaknesses but he's gotten much better as the season has progressed and he's still young so he gets the benefit of doubt.
Grape
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,247

Post#948 » by Grape » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:27 pm

Ke-y wrote:
Grape wrote:
Ke-y wrote:Defenisve effort was solid so he'll play. Offensively he was a little lost (to be expected) but I don't think he's a great PNR player he missed so many easy rolls for gasol.. Maybe that comes with chemistry but don't think he's a natural playmaker.. He drives to create his own shot (much like norm) not necesarily for others.

Still solid 3rd string PG.

PNR is literally his game. It was during Linsanity and it still is now. He's one of the most efficient guys in the league on PNR this season. If he's not a good PNR player not sure what he's good at.

Also, while he's more of a scorer, he is definitely a pass first guy and so while I wouldn't think he's a natural playmaker, he is nothing like Norm who is a straight up dawg driving to the hoop. I mean he did have 5 assists today. He loves passing the lob inside when he's on the perimeter just like Lowry. But unlike Lowry, who either shoots or makes a quick bounce pass immediately after the PNR (usually to Serge), Lin likes to take his time and ride the defender on his back and let things develop before either taking it himself or handing it off to the rolling big man.

Not to mention if you give Lin and FVV the same playing time he's averaging more points, assists, rebounds, steals, and blocks than FVV playing on a worse Hawks team. He's averaging 11 points in 19 minutes (20 per 36) on efficient FG shooting whereas Fred is averaging less points in 27 minutes and is shooting inconsistently this year. I'm not sure why he's being penciled in as the third PG, because objectively he's done better than Fred this year. It's not like FVV outplayed him in the past, he's been in the league for 3 years and has never outperformed Lin. Same with OG and Norm if you look at Lin as a 2-guard (though obviously you gotta consider their defense), he's averaging 2-3 more points and assists than both of them in about the same amount of time.

I've followed Lin throughout his career as a Raps fan but I'm quite objective on him and often more negative about his abilities especially compared to his crazy over the top fans who GENUINELY think he should be playing every minute and that he'd be an all star if not for racism. However, it's quite baffling that a proven guy in the league who has averaged easily over 10 points in every season and has shown no statistical decline below the level of our current bench players is just penciled in by some as the third point guard.

And by the way, I am not targeting you with this whole post! Just my thoughts and observations.

Maybe you're more qualified to speak on his merits but I trust fvv.. he's a proven commodity who's built trust with the bench and starters and he's steady in the clutch. I don't see lin displacing him.. This is not a case of gasol vs ibaka where one is much better then the other.

If lin gets hot then your ride linsanity but i doubt he's able to fit like fvv due to lack of chemistry and talent (?).. Fvv has his weaknesses but he's gotten much better as the season has progressed and he's still young so he gets the benefit of doubt.

Yeah I mean I don't endorse FVV as a third guy for sure. We need his shooting especially since we haven't been the best 3 pt shooting team. I just also don't see how Lin is the third guy since I'd say he's performing much better this season than FVV (which is unexpected for me at least).

I think he's more than capable of being the first or second guy off the bench whether that's him or FVV, and that doesn't necessarily make one or the other a third PG. I just think he's a substantial upgrade over Norm and OG for the next 30 games and those are my two of my favourite players outside of Kyle and Lin. I think both could play at the same time and I don't think the defensive dropoff will be as bad as some think as both are underrated defenders. Both could play the 2 although I've seen Lin struggle as a off the ball guy and also FVV struggles as the primary ballhandler at times so I'd try him at the 2 instead.

I won't get into Gasol vs Ibaka because I agree with most, but I'd think there's more similarity than people think there compared to the argument between Lin vs FVV, just two lower level guys.
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,232

Post#949 » by sidsid » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:35 pm

And1Skip wrote:
sidsid wrote:
SFour wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. We won't even see FVV back until mid March at the earliest. There's a lot of games during that time and things could evolve that it'll make sense for Lin to be ahead of FVV. Nurse said he wanted Lin to be that "3rd" guard which isn't necessary 3rd PG so it means the opportunity to play with KLow more. In addition, his 25 mins last night was the 3rd most minutes in a game he's played all season. He has missed most of the last 2 years due to injury, last year recovering from one of the most gruesome knee injuries you'll every see - I wouldn't want to ramp up his minutes either. The amount of time he played last night was perfect - hopefully McCaw will be healthy and can be that Delon role while FVV is out.

Yeah, to clarify: this isn't a minutes issue at all. My concern right now based on my initial post is purely the bench playmaking role. Just looking out for signs of Nurse's thinking based on his comments. FVV could play the exact same minutes right next to Lin.

And it's not like it's a new role for Fred. It's the exact role he plays when he's with Lowry on the floor where he isn't pounding the rock.

This shouldn't be seen as some sort of demotion.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant

Post#950 » by And1Skip » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:41 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
dgr81 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nice they have an Asian gal to rebound for him

LOL the Raps have 2 asian girls that do that job (and the towels and mop). I saw JLin's instagram story of him warming up and those 2 girls rebounding for him looked so happy LOL
UnRealGM
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,157

Post#951 » by UnRealGM » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:42 pm

for a guy who was just dropped into the role last night, he played fairly well. as the shots start falling he'll look even better. defensive effort was better than i expected.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant

Post#952 » by And1Skip » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:57 pm

Yeah for the most part his man-to-man defense was decent but his help defence was great. He did have a couple of defensive miscues but that was because he wasn't familiar with the Raptors schemes. They tried the zone a few times while he was on and he had no idea what to do - instead of guarding his part of the zone, he went to chase his man and resulted in an easy score for the Wiz. But the fact he's 6'3" at the 1 spot really helps.
alan_156
Senior
And1: 755

Post#953 » by alan_156 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:05 pm

His basketball IQ both defensively and offensively was very apparent last night. He just needs to get comfortable with his new teams and schemes and I trust he'll be more valuable than fvv. Just be patient.
lin is ok
Bench Warmer
And1: 160

Post#954 » by lin is ok » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Grape wrote:
Ke-y wrote:
Grape wrote:

Yeah I mean I don't endorse FVV as a third guy for sure. We need his shooting especially since we haven't been the best 3 pt shooting team. I just also don't see how Lin is the third guy since I'd say he's performing much better this season than FVV (which is unexpected for me at least).

I think he's more than capable of being the first or second guy off the bench whether that's him or FVV, and that doesn't necessarily make one or the other a third PG. I just think he's a substantial upgrade over Norm and OG for the next 30 games and those are my two of my favourite players outside of Kyle and Lin. I think both could play at the same time and I don't think the defensive dropoff will be as bad as some think as both are underrated defenders. Both could play the 2 although I've seen Lin struggle as a off the ball guy and also FVV struggles as the primary ballhandler at times so I'd try him at the 2 instead.

I won't get into Gasol vs Ibaka because I agree with most, but I'd think there's more similarity than people think there compared to the argument between Lin vs FVV, just two lower level guys.

Lin might be still not be 100% yet. He's definitely less explosive and more cautious about his drive to hoop after that injury.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#955 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:50 pm

6ixSideSniper wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
dgr81 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Raptors management brought in a translator only to find out he speaks English so they turned her to a ball girl. True story.

That can't be true can it? It was well-publicized in Linsanity days, he is Chinese-American, went to Harvard. I don't even think he speaks Chinese.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,978

Post#956 » by MEDIC » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:58 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
6ixSideSniper wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Raptors management brought in a translator only to find out he speaks English so they turned her to a ball girl. True story.

That can't be true can it? It was well-publicized in Linsanity days, he is Chinese-American, went to Harvard. I don't even think he speaks Chinese.

:lol:
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Duckrice
Junior
And1: 872

Post#957 » by Duckrice » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:58 pm

Whoever said earlier that Lin isn't a good PnR player is disqualified from having basketball opinions now.
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#958 » by Bankai » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:06 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
6ixSideSniper wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

That was a joke... also he does speak his native language, not excellent but good enough.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#959 » by nabbs » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:10 pm

Bankai wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
6ixSideSniper wrote:

That was a joke... also he does speak his native language, not excellent but good enough.

The asian girl is our S&C coach Jonny Lee's daughter

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#960 » by Boogie! » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:27 pm

sidsid wrote:
SFour wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

This deserves 100 and1s. It's continually perplexing how this fanbase fails to recognize how severely limited fvv is. Again the giy literally had almost exactly t he same numb ers as Delon last year and yet they were calling him the 6th man of t he year. I guess because he hit one game winner on naiionsl TV all of a sudden he's amazing. But that's fans for you.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.

Return to Toronto Raptors