ImageImageImageImageImage

Kawhi: "We have a good chance at going to the Finals"

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,766

Kawhi: "We have a good chance at going to the Finals" 

Post#1 » by TrustFundBaby » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:48 pm

TOR's greatest player in history commented on his team's chances this postseason

https://ca.nba.com/news/kawhi-leonard-toronto-raptors-nba-finals-2019-all-star-game/ezs8kme3nyd216eu0bnrcbz6w
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Re: Kawhi: "We have a good chance at going to the Finals" 

Post#2 » by Steelo Green » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:52 pm

I read on Reddit that part of the interview he said said something like "it's just my first year in Toronto", insinuating this is just the first year and they may go to the finals, so it's the beginning of building a long term contender.

Again, this is just paraphrasing and insinuating. Don't want to get anyone excited.
JackedFinancier
Starter
And1: 3,902

Post#3 » by JackedFinancier » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Steelo Green wrote:I read on Reddit that part of the interview he said said something like "it's just my first year in Toronto", insinuating this is just the first year and they may go to the finals, so it's the beginning of building a long term contender.

Again, this is just paraphrasing and insinuating. Don't want to get anyone excited.

If he did in fact say that in terms of "It's just my first year...." - that is very telling - no question.

Whether he let that slip or not - that shows intent on his behalf and an awareness that he's only in year 1 out of x number of years. It may not mean much - but it means something.
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,766

Post#4 » by TrustFundBaby » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:58 pm

HOOO MAN the confidence. So much better than saying we have a chance now that LBJ is gone smh.

He acknowledges the teams shortcomings as well.

"I think the organization did a good job of trying to make us better down this last stretch," Leonard said at media day for the 2019 NBA All-Star Game. "Like I said before, time will tell where our journey is going to end, but I think we have a good chance of getting to the Finals and winning it. But we still got a lot of work to do."

"I still think that we can get better," Leonard said later in his press conference. "We still have some potential to get better. There's a lot of games that we are up and we lose the lead or we're building back from a lead that a team already built up on us. I think we can work on things like that."

Also he compliments Gasol

Leonard spoke about Gasol specifically at media day, saying he thinks the one-time Defensive Player of the Year helps the Raptors out "a lot."

"Just his veteran knowledge, IQ, him being a tough guy, playing defence," Leonard responded when asked about what Gasol brings. "He can also score the ball, cause a lot of tension on that low block and get us open shots."

LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,875

Post#5 » by LoveMyRaps » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Steelo Green wrote:I read on Reddit that part of the interview he said said something like "it's just my first year in Toronto", insinuating this is just the first year and they may go to the finals, so it's the beginning of building a long term contender.

Yeah he said that in his post game interview where he addressed Nurse’s comments about him having to be more assertive.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
FrozenLeafz
Analyst
And1: 4,094

Post#6 » by FrozenLeafz » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:09 pm

JackedFinancier wrote:

If he did in fact say that in terms of "It's just my first year...." - that is very telling - no question.

Whether he let that slip or not - that shows intent on his behalf and an awareness that he's only in year 1 out of x number of years. It may not mean much - but it means something.

HE STAY
Passing the torch VC15--> CB4--> DD10+KL7--> PS43+FVV23 --> SB4
ImageImage
Steelo Green
RealGM

Post#7 » by Steelo Green » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:11 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:

Yeah he said that in his post game interview where he addressed Nurse’s comments about him having to be more assertive.

Thanks man.

I personally think it's not a small comment at all but I don't wanna get giddy yet.
DUBmental
Sophomore
And1: 234

Post#8 » by DUBmental » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Regardless if "he stay" or "he go" it is just his first year. You're really grasping on this one.

That being said....he stay.
redeye514
Analyst
And1: 4,791

Post#9 » by redeye514 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:11 pm

Kawhi’s staying.

Masai going to build a long term championship contending team around Kawhi / Siakam / OG.

Every year we will have different vets and pieces to compliment them, but those 3 players will be the core of a dominant trio that plays 2way basketball for the next 5 years.
NBJ13
Head Coach
And1: 7,196

Post#10 » by NBJ13 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:20 pm

The goofballs on the team rubbing off on him:

Leonard, a two-time NBA defensive player of the year, was asked if he has someone he enjoys defending the most.
“I don’t really have a favourite player to guard. I guess somebody on the bench who doesn’t play. It’s easier to guard them,” Leonard said.
https://torontosun.com/sports/basketball/nba/toronto-raptors/raptors-all-star-lowry-and-leonard-bring-some-humour-to-nba-all-star-media-day
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#11 » by Kevin Willis » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:39 pm

NBJ13 wrote:The goofballs on the team rubbing off on him:

Leonard, a two-time NBA defensive player of the year, was asked if he has someone he enjoys defending the most.
“I don’t really have a favourite player to guard. I guess somebody on the bench who doesn’t play. It’s easier to guard them,” Leonard said.
https://torontosun.com/sports/basketball/nba/toronto-raptors/raptors-all-star-lowry-and-leonard-bring-some-humour-to-nba-all-star-media-day

:) Quiet, introspective guys tend to have good sense of humours. Often quirky. I imagine OG is the same and yeah this is a team of guys that have fun around each other. Very different from a Boston or a Philly. Similar to GSW and old San Antonio though.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Steelo Green
RealGM

Post#12 » by Steelo Green » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:41 pm

redeye514 wrote:Kawhi’s staying.

Masai going to build a long term championship contending team around Kawhi / Siakam / OG.

Every year we will have different vets and pieces to compliment them, but those 3 players will be the core of a dominant core that plays 2way basketball for the next 5 years.

Even the media who were hell bent he was leaving have changed tune. There must be rumblings of a big chance he stays.
NBJ13
Head Coach
And1: 7,196

Post#13 » by NBJ13 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:47 pm

Steelo Green wrote:

Every year we will have different vets and pieces to compliment them, but those 3 players will be the core of a dominant core that plays 2way basketball for the next 5 years.

Even the media who were hell bent he was leaving have changed tune. There must be rumblings of a big chance he stays.

I 100% believe kawhi when he says he's leaving the decision for the off season. There are many factors other than playing near his home and i think the city and the org are making an attractive pitch so far
Duckrice
Junior
And1: 872

Post#14 » by Duckrice » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:49 pm

NBJ13 wrote:The goofballs on the team rubbing off on him:

This is possibly the most Kahwi quote that could ever exist.
GooniesNeverDie
RealGM
And1: 11,171

Post#15 » by GooniesNeverDie » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:58 pm

if Kawhi does leave, i think the city and organization can be confident its because of no fault of their own - he just had his heart in LA
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#16 » by Psubs » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:10 pm

He knows with Siakam, they can win not just 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, but maybe 6 Championships in Toronto and surpass MJ. Kawhi is 1-0 in the finals with 1 Finals MVP (more than Curry).
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#17 » by Psubs » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:22 pm

Kawhi will most likely sign a 1+1 until Siakam signs an extension and he see's what they can do once Lowry, Ibaka and Gasol are FA's in 2020.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,541

Post#18 » by Jcity08 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:44 pm

Bringing in Gasol and Siakams growth into an allstar(hasn't been selected for the allstar game yet but you know he will) might be the reason Kawhi resigns.

It shows how well this organization player development program runs and their ability to acquire the right players on the open market or through trades.

Its impressive as a fan to watch a competently run team, I can imagine how much more that would be as a player who has to consider their own personal success playing for an organization that works in tandem with them to help them reach their goals.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
yodamaster
Veteran
And1: 2,629

Post#19 » by yodamaster » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:46 pm

man, we are spoiled.
i still remember the days of putting all of our hopes at small forward position on Linas Kleiza
Uncle Dennis
General Manager
And1: 12,096

Post#20 » by Uncle Dennis » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:48 pm

Yup, I noticed that too. He didn't have to use those choice of words, but it's a positive sign.

Return to Toronto Raptors