ImageImageImageImageImage

Why did we get rid of Lou Williams again?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,272

Re: Why did we get rid of Lou Williams again? 

Post#21 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:00 am

Kawhi could go to LAC and beat up on the Warriors with Sweet Lou or stay here and lose in the first round with fatso. I think he just made his decision.
EJaggit
Starter
And1: 2,328

Post#22 » by EJaggit » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:47 am

Casey didn't know how to use Lou.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#23 » by Yosemite Dan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:06 am

bon wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:Cause he played no defense and chucked the ball every chance he got. How do people forget so easily then go on and complain?

They don't forget, they just enjoy complaining

Apparently you forgot that he won 6th man of the year with us. As far as chucking and no defense, Demar was much better at being worse at it.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#24 » by Yosemite Dan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:14 am

Raps in 4 wrote:Kawhi could go to LAC and beat up on the Warriors with Sweet Lou or stay here and lose in the first round with fatso. I think he just made his decision.

If we lose game 2 then I couldnt care less where he goes. If he can’t beat up on the Magic with Pascal then he’s sure not beating up on the Warriors. Lowry always **** the bed but we still manage to get to the 2nd round and Kawhi didn’t win any defensive awards in game 1. Still waiting on that.
BBallG
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,749

Post#25 » by BBallG » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:33 am

we let the Lou walk after he won 6th man with us and we signed Ross instead. I didn't agree signing Ross over him cause Lou was better than Ross then, and he still is today....
firekil
Rookie
And1: 1,209

Post#26 » by firekil » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:08 am

Because this organization does not care about winning. The reason they let him walk was because management was worried about a "cabal" that was forming amongst the players. Yes the players were becoming friends and enjoying each others' company, we couldn't have that could we. The hilarious thing is Lou wanted to stay here and would've accepted any reasonable offer we gave him.
SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,817

Post#27 » by SaveTheHens » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:21 am

ImaBeatDatAzz wrote:Is anyone bitter at the fact that we got rid of Lou Williams? Like... not only because he is the best bench player in the league and just practically beat gsw by himself in game 2, but he was the 6th man of the year with us and he was doing pretty well. Can someone explain why we let him go because he is clutch asf
I’m just curious cuz idk if it was a money problem or because he wanted lots of money, and if that’s the case then wow... I wish the 33m Lowry is getting went to Lou

Man I get you like Lou but being this attached to the past does one nothing in life. There's been a lot of decisions made in that time and overall they've put us in a great position, so why the nitpick? Lastly it's easy to quantify lowry as some terrible player off one game and his history of poor game 1s but he's the reason we've even been past the second round... Don't disrespect the man if you have any appreciation for the successes we've had as a franchise.
With Lou he was good but he wasn't part of the team plan. He was a great iso scorer, but not great enough to build around instead of Demar, which was the plan at the time. I liked Lou's ability to get hot but he was poor defensively and didn't really match our team philosophy. I'd much prefer our ball movement and running game we've developed as a team than just one great scorer.
SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,817

Post#28 » by SaveTheHens » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:25 am

Yosemite Dan wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:Kawhi could go to LAC and beat up on the Warriors with Sweet Lou or stay here and lose in the first round with fatso. I think he just made his decision.

If we lose game 2 then I couldnt care less where he goes. If he can’t beat up on the Magic with Pascal then he’s sure not beating up on the Warriors. Lowry always **** the bed but we still manage to get to the 2nd round and Kawhi didn’t win any defensive awards in game 1. Still waiting on that.

Lol all these expectations as a fan, isn't it stressful? Relax and enjoy the show, 90% likely that we will win this series and that Lowry will get out of his head and play like the player that's gotten us out of the second round. Your stressing, labeling, expecting is just getting you angry with no benefit for you or the team, chill out its healthy for you.
soloxylo
General Manager
And1: 12,204

Post#29 » by soloxylo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:26 am

Didn't fit Casey's character mould for his roster. Reason why guys like him and JJ were shown the door when the time came. Talent wins in this league, if you have a coach that can't handle a couple eccentric personalities on the team; then you need to find a coach that can. Appeasing Casey at the time didn't do the team any good, we were always patching a hole and exposing another every time we did. Now the roster is without a legitimate scorer off the bench.
Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Post#30 » by Raps1103 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:39 am

RaptorsLife wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Masai needed someone to blame for 20165 wizards sweep

He wasn’t gonna gonna move the golden boys Lowry or derozan.

Lou was chosen.

I mean Masai turned DeMar into Kawhi. What your saying is to sell low. Not very smart.

Today could be kawhi last home game. This dude 100% gone

Is that what you want to happen? You’re so flippant n ignorant bro.. do You want the raps to lose and Kawhi to leave so you can feel like you were right about something ? Or would you rather we win n keep him, and go on to be a force for years to come.. serious question... I genuinely want to know your answer ?

I’m under the assumption you’re a troll from another team, I truly believe that ... but.. I’d be happy to be proven wrong ! Please answer the questions above
Thank you
Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Post#31 » by Raps1103 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:43 am

firekil wrote:Because this organization does not care about winning. The reason they let him walk was because management was worried about a "cabal" that was forming amongst the players. Yes the players were becoming friends and enjoying each others' company, we couldn't have that could we. The hilarious thing is Lou wanted to stay here and would've accepted any reasonable offer we gave him.

Baaaahahahahahaha!!! There’s absolutely zero chance you believe any of that !! Zero chance !!

That should win first prize for the craziest conspiracy theory ever on realgm... do you have any spare tinfoil hats I can buy brother?
Wargreymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,406

Post#32 » by Wargreymon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:29 pm

Like someone posted earlier, there's some revisionist history going on here. The vast majority of people wanted Lou Will gone after that Wizards series flameout. Just give credit to him and Doc for improving into a near All-Star calibre player. Goes to show how bad of a coach Casey was playing favorites. James Johnson and Lou Will off the bench would be real nice right now :banghead:
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,336

Post#33 » by alpngso » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:38 pm

I mean he dates two women at the same time openly.. Casey won’t allow that
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,460

Post#34 » by Brinbe » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:51 pm

Blame Casey. He's a blockhead who also didn't play JJ against Pierce when he was CLEARLY the best man for the job.
right between the eyes
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,513

Post#35 » by right between the eyes » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:58 pm

If i remember correctly Lou loved the city and really wanted to come back ..he coulda been our six man for years but I don't think Masai was a fan of his ball hogging ways or his two girlfriends for that matter lol didn't really fit in the family environment
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#36 » by dacrusha » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Lou Williams shot 31% and 19% from 3 point range in the playoffs that year we got swept by the Wiz, so he was a complete failure in that respect.

Not re-signing him was part of the roster transformation that brought in Demarre Carroll, Cory Joseph, Bismack Biyombo, Delon Wright and Norm Powell.

I mean, nice hot take after the Clips win last night, but let's be realistic: he's playing on his 6th team in 7 years, so he's clearly a dime-a-dozen luxury player that shows up every third or fourth game.

Same with James Johnson: dime-a-dozen player who shows up every third or fourth game to make an impact.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#37 » by pbj » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:00 pm

I wanted him gone because our transition from the fun, hard-nosed, team-oriented squad to some ugly ISO crap and no defense seemed to correlated directly with his arrival.

Can't definitively say it was his fault, but it seems probable that he impacted the culture in that way.
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,258

Post#38 » by mrdressup » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:02 pm

That's when we were a character team and he was perceived to be a degenerate. Lou was a bad influence. He probably listened to Jazz and liked to tango too much. Casey was a one girl per man type of guy. Cost us another decent player too.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,100

Post#39 » by C Court » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:05 pm

The was and is no D in LOU.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,104

Post#40 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:07 pm

This board **** sucks
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023

Return to Toronto Raptors