ImageImageImageImageImage

Why did we get rid of Lou Williams again?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

hksazn
Sixth Man
And1: 36

Re: Why did we get rid of Lou Williams again? 

Post#41 » by hksazn » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:16 pm

He didn't want to be the captain.
Ramed Nazored
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,450

Post#42 » by Ramed Nazored » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:18 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:Masai needed someone to blame for 20165 wizards sweep

He wasn’t gonna gonna move the golden boys Lowry or derozan.

Lou was chosen.

Wrong again.

Derozan and Lowry were both on long-term contracts and part of the organizations future. Lou Will was brought in on a one year contract, and his performance didn't warrant an extension. He was one of the worst defenders in franchise history.

Not sure if you noticed, but we made the ECF the next year, so we fared just fine without him.

But keep spinning your false narratives and manufactured hysteria. I really enjoy debunking it.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#43 » by hsb » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:24 pm

Casey gave players stupid roles for years. Lou Will improved as a player and I don't think that would happen with the role Casey gave him.

Masai took way too long to see the problems with Casey, DD and Lowry, so he kept changing of the assistant coaching staff and role players despite the root of the problem being those three (and Masai for not realising this and kept running the same thing again and again).
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
BoBBo!
Starter
And1: 875

Post#44 » by BoBBo! » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:24 pm

As Kyle put it "Cuz we was trash"

... there's still one bag of garbage lying around.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#45 » by StopitLeo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:27 pm

He was on a "prove your worth" 1 year MLE deal. He showed he could score off the bench but wasn't particularly efficient (not terrible either) and played poor defense. This was more pronounced in the playoffs if I recall. He didn't really start playing at the level you are currently seeing until the last maybe 2.5 years so there is definitely some recency bias. I mean, he signed a 3 year $21M deal with the Lakers and then they traded him.

Back in 2014-15 we continued to be a underwhelming 3pt shooting team severely lacked a 3D guy, which was being recognized as more and more important. That's why we signed Carroll in the offseason. Obviously he didn't work out but at the time he had come off a great playoff run and was the best 3D available (and a good one). His projected contributions would have been much better than Lou's especially if you were thinking the team could take another step in the playoffs.
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#46 » by bon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:31 pm

Yosemite Dan wrote:
bon wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:Cause he played no defense and chucked the ball every chance he got. How do people forget so easily then go on and complain?

They don't forget, they just enjoy complaining

Apparently you forgot that he won 6th man of the year with us. As far as chucking and no defense, Demar was much better at being worse at it.

You claim to have watched the Raptors for years and here you are typing this bull :lol:
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#47 » by johanliebert » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:15 pm

hsb wrote:Casey gave players stupid roles for years. Lou Will improved as a player and I don't think that would happen with the role Casey gave him.

Masai took way too long to see the problems with Casey, DD and Lowry, so he kept changing of the assistant coaching staff and role players despite the root of the problem being those three (and Masai for not realising this and kept running the same thing again and again).

The root of the problem was always the role player the team always lacked a shot creator..so yea it’s funny they let Lou walk for nothing just to hand out a big contract to demarre carrol.

Lou improved as a player? Spoken like a true casual his game never changed.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,569

Post#48 » by Mak » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:17 pm

A lot of people with terrible memories here.
johanliebert
General Manager

Post#49 » by johanliebert » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:20 pm

Wargreymon wrote:Like someone posted earlier, there's some revisionist history going on here. The vast majority of people wanted Lou Will gone after that Wizards series flameout. Just give credit to him and Doc for improving into a near All-Star calibre player. Goes to show how bad of a coach Casey was playing favorites. James Johnson and Lou Will off the bench would be real nice right now :banghead:

You realize Masai was the guy who didn’t offer him a contract right?

Lou won 6th man of the year under Casey he we given an opportunity to succeed here. All this Casey talk is humourous he wasn’t the GM.

This team the past 4 years needed a shot creator off the bench to alleviate pressure from demar/Lowry but you let a guy like Lou walk.
johanliebert
General Manager

Post#50 » by johanliebert » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:23 pm

RaptorPride wrote:
ImaBeatDatAzz wrote:Is anyone bitter at the fact that we got rid of Lou Williams? Like... not only because he is the best bench player in the league and just practically beat gsw by himself in game 2, but he was the 6th man of the year with us and he was doing pretty well. Can someone explain why we let him go because he is clutch asf
I’m just curious cuz idk if it was a money problem or because he wanted lots of money, and if that’s the case then wow... I wish the 33m Lowry is getting went to Lou

He was not clutch at all with us. We gave him the ball at the end of every quarter and he missed every shot for the whole year. Yet we would go to him to beat the clock for the same results over and over. The only clutch shot he made at the buzzer was a preseason game against Boston I believe. But we did help him rebuild his career here for which he had thanked us.
2013 I had a coach tell me I was never gonna be the same player again and I’m washed up. @demar_derozan , @chuckhayes44, @kyle_lowry7 and @iamamirjohnson said he was full of **** and embraced me as a brother and gave me the confidence to go win my first 6ix man. @champagnepapi was a part of that too. I’m forever grateful for the love toronto gave me to continue my career. Giving my ppl flowers while they can still smell em

Happy to see him killing it.

Lol why assume that quote was about Casey and not an assistant?

How does a guy call you washed up but play you 25 mpg off the bench and puts the ball in your hand?
jeffya2
Veteran
And1: 2,982

Post#51 » by jeffya2 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:24 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:

Lou was chosen.

I mean Masai turned DeMar into Kawhi. What your saying is to sell low. Not very smart.

Today could be kawhi last home game. This dude 100% gone

BUT, BUT, BUT. It's "time to lace them up" now
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,762

Post#52 » by TrustFundBaby » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:25 pm

Loool Lou can do whatever he wants in LAC I'm good

Everyone forget how the worst 3 active players in the playoffs for TS% were DD, Lowry and....Lou
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#53 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:29 pm

People on these boards always live in the moment.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,730

Post#54 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:31 pm

**** Wow! It is truly amazing how many different individual narratives there are in here and the creativity to tie them back to Lou Williams is next level.
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#55 » by bon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:40 pm

johanliebert wrote:
Wargreymon wrote:Like someone posted earlier, there's some revisionist history going on here. The vast majority of people wanted Lou Will gone after that Wizards series flameout. Just give credit to him and Doc for improving into a near All-Star calibre player. Goes to show how bad of a coach Casey was playing favorites. James Johnson and Lou Will off the bench would be real nice right now :banghead:

You realize Masai was the guy who didn’t offer him a contract right?

Lou won 6th man of the year under Casey he we given an opportunity to succeed here. All this Casey talk is humourous he wasn’t the GM.

This team the past 4 years needed a shot creator off the bench to alleviate pressure from demar/Lowry but you let a guy like Lou walk.

Casey was crying about not having enough defenders after the sweep so Masai had to let guys like Lou and Gravy go.
jeffya2
Veteran
And1: 2,982

Post#56 » by jeffya2 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:40 pm

soloxylo wrote:Didn't fit Casey's character mould for his roster. Reason why guys like him and JJ were shown the door when the time came. Talent wins in this league, if you have a coach that can't handle a couple eccentric personalities on the team; then you need to find a coach that can. Appeasing Casey at the time didn't do the team any good, we were always patching a hole and exposing another every time we did. Now the roster is without a legitimate scorer off the bench.

So true!
Michael Jordan once said
We couldn't win those championships without Rodman
Now that was a nightmare teammate
GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Post#57 » by GordanFreeman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:49 pm

Lou was chosen.

You're like the sri Lankan Trump. You can't help yourself and type **** that isn't true every damn time.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#58 » by Courtside » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:50 pm

johanliebert wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:
ImaBeatDatAzz wrote:Is anyone bitter at the fact that we got rid of Lou Williams? Like... not only because he is the best bench player in the league and just practically beat gsw by himself in game 2, but he was the 6th man of the year with us and he was doing pretty well. Can someone explain why we let him go because he is clutch asf
I’m just curious cuz idk if it was a money problem or because he wanted lots of money, and if that’s the case then wow... I wish the 33m Lowry is getting went to Lou

He was not clutch at all with us. We gave him the ball at the end of every quarter and he missed every shot for the whole year. Yet we would go to him to beat the clock for the same results over and over. The only clutch shot he made at the buzzer was a preseason game against Boston I believe. But we did help him rebuild his career here for which he had thanked us.
2013 I had a coach tell me I was never gonna be the same player again and I’m washed up. @demar_derozan , @chuckhayes44, @kyle_lowry7 and @iamamirjohnson said he was full of **** and embraced me as a brother and gave me the confidence to go win my first 6ix man. @champagnepapi was a part of that too. I’m forever grateful for the love toronto gave me to continue my career. Giving my ppl flowers while they can still smell em

Happy to see him killing it.

Lol why assume that quote was about Casey and not an assistant?

How does a guy call you washed up but play you 25 mpg off the bench and puts the ball in your hand?

Who assumed it was Casey? The coach who said that was the one he had before he came to Toronto.

Man, your takes are so off sometimes and expose you for the casual that you are.
durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#59 » by durka » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:50 pm

We had just gotten swept by the Wizards and needed to change the makeup of our team. Noone was crying about it at the time, hindsight is 20/20.
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#60 » by TheBoi10 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:52 pm

He's a no defense chucker. No team is serious if Lou is one of your main guys.

Return to Toronto Raptors