ImageImageImageImageImage

A lot of the NBA thinks Kawhi Leonard is gone no matter what Raptors do

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Re: A lot of the NBA thinks Kawhi Leonard is gone no matter what Raptors do 

Post#141 » by MavCarter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:35 pm

The lengths people are going to discredit anything that suggests he's leaving is a bit concerning lol. This board will have a huge meltdown if/when he leaves and they shouldnt because we all knew this was a 1 year thing from the start
#Enjoytheride
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#142 » by MavCarter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:40 pm

Ackshun wrote:
kj4108 wrote:Not sure if anyone read this.. intake it with a grain of salt but it's interesting how now the media is now saying his teammates don't think he will stay..

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/nba-rumors-kawhi-leonards-teammates-think-lakers-or-clippers-will-land-star

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

"One former player said Leonard's teammates expect him to leave for Los Angeles after the season, although he didn't specify which franchise," Pincus writes

One former raptors player or one former nba player? Because this is a bay area reporter and the grizzlies last game of the season was vs the warriors :lol:
#Enjoytheride
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#143 » by bluerap23 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:08 pm

Ackshun wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:
Ackshun wrote:
"One former player said Leonard's teammates expect him to leave for Los Angeles after the season, although he didn't specify which franchise," Pincus writes

Probably Delon. Still salty

Or Jonas because he seems like a prankster.

Or Paul Pierce since he's a diva

Still it may be true. It seems clear that everyone on the team has been instructed not to talk about it. Woj hinted at this on his podcast with Pascal. Pascal was very evasive.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#144 » by Steelo Green » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:55 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:Kawhi cares about winning over everything.

Toronto without Kawhi > LAC.

He has 7-8 solid years left with 5-6 superstar years, he can live in LA after he retires, 42 games of travel, half the time on the road, this LA narrative is completely overblown. He is from San Diego and the whole weather narrative he himself debunked saying he doesn't play basketball outside.

The only two players who went to a mediocre team in the last 20 years are Shaq and Lebron, and that was to the Lakers, the Clippers have never signed a big ticket FA.

There was a segment with Woj and Lowe that touched on how this class of star FAs is so different: they've all won championships already. Kyrie, KD, Kawhi all have a ring. So the "team up for a championship" trend that fueled so many FA decision in the last decade has not really manifested itself this year.

Kawhi is a FMVP, DPOY, NBA Champion. He wants to win, but I doubt it's his primary decision driver.

Everything that everyone has said is he eats, sleeps, breathes basketball, and wants to go down as one of the best. One title is not going to do that, and currently Kawhi is not even in the top 30-40?

No one has said West coast except the American media, and then whenever it was brought up to Kawhi, he seemed to shrug it off. This could easily mean nothing, but it's not like he said it's so cold here. The same people who were once saying he wouldn't report, then switched the narrative to maybe it's not 100%, which tells me they know nothing.

Woj has been wrong with predictions many times, he is good at reporting news, but sporadic in predicting it.

I can't remember any foregone conclusion prediction that came true in the last few years. As of now I will bet that Kawhi is focused on the PO, and that will be a huge swaying point this offseson. Half a season in LA for a few years of your life because you want the Cali lifestyle is overblown, and that too not the city that is a couple hours away from your home.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#146 » by Steelo Green » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:01 pm

MavCarter wrote:The lengths people are going to discredit anything that suggests he's leaving is a bit concerning lol. This board will have a huge meltdown if/when he leaves and they shouldnt because we all knew this was a 1 year thing from the start

I don't think anyone will be shocked if he leaves, but the prophecies of the media are inconsistent.

One day it is a certainty he won't report, then it is he won't suit up, then it is he is warming up to the idea of staying, then it is it was always LA, and this is all from the same person.

All we are saying is right now, no one knows, and even my story, was just a story, I don't think it really indicated anything.
Jenga_tDot
Analyst
And1: 4,737

Post#147 » by Jenga_tDot » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:38 pm

The US media doesnt know **** and is just trying to push their narratives.
Nothing to see here
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#148 » by Young_Buc » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:46 pm

When has ANY player ever been favoured to stay in Toronto according to the American media? Vince (this was never ending) Bosh, Lowry and DeRozan (especially him) were always gone until they weren't. Just ONCE why wouldn't a popular opinion be so and so is staying? It's truly ridiculous when Kahwi has the LEAST reason to leave out of him KD and Kyrie yet his departure is the most reported on.

I am a big time Homer for Canadian players for this reason to the point it blinds better judgement. It would be the absolute sweetest day if the Canadian team beat the Americans for a gold medal. For 4 years we'd rub that in their faces.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#149 » by Courtside » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:52 pm

Young_Buc wrote:When has ANY player ever been favoured to stay in Toronto according to the American media? Vince (this was never ending) Bosh, Lowry and DeRozan (especially him) were always gone until they weren't. Just ONCE why wouldn't a popular opinion be so and so is staying? It's truly ridiculous when Kahwi has the LEAST reason to leave out of him KD and Kyrie yet his departure is the most reported on.

The Durant thing is probably reported on more.

Thing is, you have to ask who and why these stories continue to be pushed when there is nothing anyone can do about the situation, right now in the middle of the playoffs. The reason these reports come up, now, is that people want to sew discontent against possible playoff rivals, or to fuel the departure of these players. It's the NY and LA media that wants these teams to have problems and wants these players to leave where they are and go to their markets.

It's utterly stupid for our own fans to be on here doing the job of the NY and LA media for them, doing their best in repeatedly aggravating others and attempting to further sew discontent. You have to question if they're fans at all, or dupe accounts that exist simply to further an agenda.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,885

Post#150 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:10 pm

Courtside wrote:
Young_Buc wrote:When has ANY player ever been favoured to stay in Toronto according to the American media? Vince (this was never ending) Bosh, Lowry and DeRozan (especially him) were always gone until they weren't. Just ONCE why wouldn't a popular opinion be so and so is staying? It's truly ridiculous when Kahwi has the LEAST reason to leave out of him KD and Kyrie yet his departure is the most reported on.

The Durant thing is probably reported on more.

Thing is, you have to ask who and why these stories continue to be pushed when there is nothing anyone can do about the situation, right now in the middle of the playoffs. The reason these reports come up, now, is that people want to sew discontent against possible playoff rivals, or to fuel the departure of these players. It's the NY and LA media that wants these teams to have problems and wants these players to leave where they are and go to their markets.

It's utterly stupid for our own fans to be on here doing the job of the NY and LA media for them, doing their best in repeatedly aggravating others and attempting to further sew discontent. You have to question if they're fans at all, or dupe accounts that exist simply to further an agenda.

Actually basketball analysis stateside is so rumour-star driven that speculating how the foreigners could ever keep any of the top six players is something consistent with how could the Raptors ever be contenders as seen as playoffs wimps bowing to LBJs Stephen A-ness.At this point I would prefer we retain him but I think we could have a very competitive plan B. If we could land Conley, sign Danny and let OG try and break out like Paskal I like our reg season chances. We could troll the season searching for a playoffs small forward Kawhi replacement. OKC kind of went this route when they lost Durant which was a killer but not team defining.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,137

Post#151 » by xAIRNESSx » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:25 pm

The majority of this board was fine with this scenario at the beginning of the season, so no big deal I guess.
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,762

Post#152 » by TrustFundBaby » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:41 pm

xAIRNESSx wrote:The majority of this board was fine with this scenario at the beginning of the season, so no big deal I guess.

At the time, we were just glad to be rid of DD. Kawhi was injured, we didn't know he'd return to this level

Plus a year of cheering creates attachment

We have the best player in the league, I would be in shambles if he left
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#153 » by So_Fresh » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:57 pm

Who cares. Let's talk about this when the playoffs are over. Nobody knows what Kawhi will do. Only Kawhi knows.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using RealGM mobile app
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#154 » by BramptonYute » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:48 pm

Who cares, Masai will do a good job rebuilding.
right between the eyes
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,513

Post#155 » by right between the eyes » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:19 pm

Lol the American media won't stop with this eh? When we lose they rip us..when we win they put out stories of kawhi wanting to leave...smh
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#156 » by Hero » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:21 pm

It matters though since it frames our expectation.

If we know this is the one year rental then we need to have sky high expectations and not act like there will be another chance next year.
So_Fresh wrote:Who cares. Let's talk about this when the playoffs are over. Nobody knows what Kawhi will do. Only Kawhi knows.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using RealGM mobile app
Garrett
Sixth Man
And1: 764

Post#157 » by Garrett » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:48 am

The title of this thread scared me, but the comments in here are giving me an erection. Here's to Kauai remaining a Raptor.
jbrown_87
Senior
And1: 1,001

Post#158 » by jbrown_87 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:24 am

Not even mad. He's having an off night, heck damn near everyone is and we are still going to win the game. It's the win that counts.

Return to Toronto Raptors