ImageImageImageImageImage

Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#581 » by Jstock12 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:21 pm

SFour wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:Something has to be said about Val just winning wherever he goes. For all the faults ppl lay on him, he makes teams better. He plays hard and gives it his all

Thinking we would still be better with him as c....I like marc but jv beasts on both ends...

JV a beast on defense? I'm pretty sure a big reason he got traded because he was a liability on defense, mainly PnR defense....now Ibaka is becoming a liability on defense the same way that JV was. I haven't watched many Grizzlies games so I don't know if JV got better on defense or if he's still the same. JV was always a beast on offense though.

I agree that JV was a liability on defense, like most big men are, except for a few exceptions, and Marc was one of those exceptions. I think it was a good trade for the Raptors. And I think it was a good trade for the Grizzlies as well.

I'm not sure how much stock I want to put into these TPA charts, but they usually match the eye test somewhat decently (although not in Morant's case perhaps), but JV seems to be a big reason why they're battling for the eight seed:

Read on Twitter
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#582 » by lobosloboslobos » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:46 pm

yeah i think he has evolved quite a bit in Memphis with more space to prove himself. Still has weaknesses obviously, but quite apart from his scoring last night's line of 18 boards, 4 assists and 4 blocks (+16) is definitely a winning line. yes it was the Cavs but the Grizzlies have now win 7 in a row.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#583 » by Hero » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:16 pm

Chandan wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:
Chandan wrote:for **** sakes. Only demar can have a 12/14 night going for 30 points and still have his team lose by 6.

I mean, this implies he was at fault for the loss. You'd have a point if he was a negative but he was a plus 3. Another former Raptor in Rudy Gay was 1-8.

Its not as much his fault as much that his play style just doesn't elevate others.

Doesn't he gave Greg Popovich, easily a top 3 coach ever? What about him shouldering some blame?
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,497

Post#584 » by bballsparkin » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:07 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:yeah i think he has evolved quite a bit in Memphis with more space to prove himself. Still has weaknesses obviously, but quite apart from his scoring last night's line of 18 boards, 4 assists and 4 blocks (+16) is definitely a winning line. yes it was the Cavs but the Grizzlies have now win 7 in a row.

He's finally looking to move the ball. Maybe he learned watching Gasol on the Raps but it's nice to see. Hope the big guy stays healthy and makes the playoffs.
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#585 » by Red_Claw » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:18 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:yeah i think he has evolved quite a bit in Memphis with more space to prove himself. Still has weaknesses obviously, but quite apart from his scoring last night's line of 18 boards, 4 assists and 4 blocks (+16) is definitely a winning line. yes it was the Cavs but the Grizzlies have now win 7 in a row.

He's finally looking to move the ball. Maybe he learned watching Gasol on the Raps but it's nice to see. Hope the big guy stays healthy and makes the playoffs.

He was always an above average passer but when you get the ball 7 times a game in 18 min/game and 3 of those attempts are offensive tip in attempts, getting the ball was a rarity so JV always looked to score.

Now that he's more of a focus offensively, he's doesn't feel the need to look for his shot everytime he gets the ball which leads to more assists.
raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,288

Post#586 » by raptorstime » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:14 pm

Thank you demar
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#587 » by Kabookalu » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:17 pm

Congrats to Jonas Valanciunas for making the Superbowl.
Read on Twitter
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#588 » by Vlade Divac » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:58 pm

Kabookalu wrote:Congrats to Jonas Valanciunas for making the Superbowl.

He is incredible! Two major sports competing in the same season

Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,142

Post#589 » by Chandan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:25 am

Jstock12 wrote:
SFour wrote:
JV a beast on defense? I'm pretty sure a big reason he got traded because he was a liability on defense, mainly PnR defense....now Ibaka is becoming a liability on defense the same way that JV was. I haven't watched many Grizzlies games so I don't know if JV got better on defense or if he's still the same. JV was always a beast on offense though.

I agree that JV was a liability on defense, like most big men are, except for a few exceptions, and Marc was one of those exceptions. I think it was a good trade for the Raptors. And I think it was a good trade for the Grizzlies as well.

Read on Twitter

even Gobert is a complete non factor when it comes to defending the mid range or the three. Marc is pretty much the only one that no problem venturing out of the paint to stall the likes of Curry and Lilard from getting their shots off after a pick.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#590 » by fbalmeida » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:02 pm

I wan't Clarke in a Raptors jersey.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#591 » by will » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:46 pm

fbalmeida wrote:I wan't Clarke in a Raptors jersey.

Real talk...BClarke may just be THE guy for the Grizz. A do-it-all versatile forward who is so goddamn efficient.

That Ja (not Rule), BClarke and JJJ trio is looking real nice.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#592 » by will » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:49 pm

Yo...I am praying some NBA players have reach out to talk to and help Delonte West, if they have not already.

Goddamn - this latest with DWest is super sad. Mans is clearly in need of help.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#593 » by Kevin Willis » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:06 pm

Ska needs to make a comeback.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#594 » by bballsparkin » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:09 pm

Red_Claw wrote:He was always an above average passer but when you get the ball 7 times a game in 18 min/game and 3 of those attempts are offensive tip in attempts, getting the ball was a rarity so JV always looked to score.

Now that he's more of a focus offensively, he's doesn't feel the need to look for his shot everytime he gets the ball which leads to more assists.

True, he's always shown the ability to make nice passes. And perhaps had the team shared the ball more back then he would have been a more willing passer. Then again, had he passed the ball more often especially while in the post he might have got it back more often. Unlikely but who knows.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#595 » by bballsparkin » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:11 pm

EliteSmarts wrote:Those Vancouver Grizzlies jerseys are CLEAN. Too bad they were a terrible franchise but damn those jerseys are CLEAAAAAAAAAN

You know, I never liked the jersey when it came out. Maybe it was because of the SJ Sharks. But now when I look at them I think how could I not love that jersey!
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#596 » by Courtside » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:42 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
Red_Claw wrote:He was always an above average passer but when you get the ball 7 times a game in 18 min/game and 3 of those attempts are offensive tip in attempts, getting the ball was a rarity so JV always looked to score.

True, he's always shown the ability to make nice passes. And perhaps had the team shared the ball more back then he would have been a more willing passer. Then again, had he passed the ball more often especially while in the post he might have got it back more often. Unlikely but who knows.

Yes and no. Think back to his years here, and when he got the ball in the post as you mention. He would always pause a moment with the ball up, and look to see if there was a cutter or someone to pass to - even when he should have made a quick move he would pause instead - and then try to remember how many times he would actually have someone open to pass to, vs how many times they cleared and out gave him no choice but to ISO on his defender. The latter is what happened at least 80% of time, maybe more, when he got the ball in the post. He was able to create his own shot fairly well and was a good post/ISO scorer, but that was Demar's job in the offense more than it was his.

The simple fact is that he wasn't used as a playmaker and wasn't asked to be a passer. That wasn't his job. One can argue that if he showed better passing skills in games (occasionally did) or in practice (this we don't know) that it would have given the team more confidence to work to ball to him more with the goal of making him a passer, but the team chose to make Lowry and Derozan the playmakers and everyone else into shooters/scorers. We should have run more roll plays or hit cutters more, but these we're the primary skills of our ball handlers and for most of his years here, we could barely make a decent post entry pass, let along time a play to follow that pass with another one from JV. In the Casey+Demar era, Jonas' job was rebounder and garbageman first, anything else was gravy.

So it wasn't that he always looked for his own shot first and foremost, it's that it was his job to do so and the offense seldom gave him any other choice.

His passing in MEM has been better and more frequent, and that's because the Grizzlies were much more used to using their C in that fashion. Now they have Morant who is starting to realize that they can score well when he hits the roll guy more. As a PnR ballhandler he still isn't very efficient, much like Demar wasn't, but Ja's ceiling there is vastly higher so it makes sense to let things develop there between the two, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if JV ends up being the main guy to get Ja his assisted shots.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#597 » by bballsparkin » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:47 pm

^^True, good points.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,739

Post#598 » by VanWest82 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:51 am

Demar is so underrated at this point. Yes, he was bad over the first month of the season -- he seemed to take the failed extension negotiations with Spurs personally and wasn't putting his best foot forward. Since then he's been on an absolute tear.

DD destroyed the Jazz tonight: 38/5/5 on 67% TS. He's above 60% on the season, a career best. He keeps getting better and better every year, just like he did in Toronto. Big ups to an ATG Raptor on his continued success.
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,920

DeRozan is Shooting over 60 TS% 

Post#599 » by Senbonzakura » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:34 pm

I know the fun thing to do is slate him here. But he's become insanely efficient without even being able to shoot the 3 effectively. He's shooting 54.6% on 2PT shots and still getting to the line a ton for a TS% of 60.8%. Averaging 23ppg on just 15.9 field goal attempts. For reference, Siakam averages slightly more points at 23.8, but takes 19.4 shots to get there and has a roughly league average TS% of 55.3%.
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Re: DeRozan is Shooting over 60 TS% 

Post#600 » by alienchild » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:41 pm

Post this ish on the SAS board, the team he plays for.
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.

Return to Toronto Raptors