ImageImageImageImageImage

Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0

Moderators: Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, 7 Footer, Rhettmatic, niQ, Patman, pbj, Alfred

User avatar
Son Goku 25
RealGM
Posts: 21,597
And1: 36,192
Joined: Jan 18, 2010
 

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#981 » by Son Goku 25 » Tue May 4, 2021 4:41 am

tecumseh18 wrote:Lakers seem to be turning it around against Denver on the B2B without Lebron. Let's see: Drummond plays 18 minutes and is -5. Gasol plays 15 minutes and is a team leading +15. :dontknow:


Frustrates me when ppl don't understand how impactful Gasol is.. even at that age and being washed up and all. I will seriously forever cherish how our team had 2 dpoy guys on our team plus a bunch of excellent all around players that just fit in 2019.. even that 2020 Raptors team just needed Siakam to play slightly better and we'd be in finals.

Anyways, Gasol can't ever be disrespected as a Basketball player.
User avatar
PT416
Veteran
Posts: 2,720
And1: 4,228
Joined: Feb 01, 2012

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#982 » by PT416 » Tue May 4, 2021 4:59 am

Son Goku 25 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:Lakers seem to be turning it around against Denver on the B2B without Lebron. Let's see: Drummond plays 18 minutes and is -5. Gasol plays 15 minutes and is a team leading +15. :dontknow:


Frustrates me when ppl don't understand how impactful Gasol is.. even at that age and being washed up and all. I will seriously forever cherish how our team had 2 dpoy guys on our team plus a bunch of excellent all around players that just fit in 2019.. even that 2020 Raptors team just needed Siakam to play slightly better and we'd be in finals.

Anyways, Gasol can't ever be disrespected as a Basketball player.

Anyone who couldn't see that Gasol was the best defensive player we've ever had in franchise history was a fool. Casuals don't understand that defence is a thing. We lost our Embiid stopper. He's a Jokic stopper now. It's crazy, Jokic was carving them up vs Drummond and couldn't hit anything vs Gasol. It's so obvious that it's crazy. He's like 36 3rd string C still shutting down MVP candidates like it's nothing.
Image
I literally eat poo
User avatar
Son Goku 25
RealGM
Posts: 21,597
And1: 36,192
Joined: Jan 18, 2010
 

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#983 » by Son Goku 25 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:36 pm

PT416 wrote:
Son Goku 25 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:Lakers seem to be turning it around against Denver on the B2B without Lebron. Let's see: Drummond plays 18 minutes and is -5. Gasol plays 15 minutes and is a team leading +15. :dontknow:


Frustrates me when ppl don't understand how impactful Gasol is.. even at that age and being washed up and all. I will seriously forever cherish how our team had 2 dpoy guys on our team plus a bunch of excellent all around players that just fit in 2019.. even that 2020 Raptors team just needed Siakam to play slightly better and we'd be in finals.

Anyways, Gasol can't ever be disrespected as a Basketball player.

Anyone who couldn't see that Gasol was the best defensive player we've ever had in franchise history was a fool. Casuals don't understand that defence is a thing. We lost our Embiid stopper. He's a Jokic stopper now. It's crazy, Jokic was carving them up vs Drummond and couldn't hit anything vs Gasol. It's so obvious that it's crazy. He's like 36 3rd string C still shutting down MVP candidates like it's nothing.


Yeah I remember when we had him as well, it was like watching a father going up against his son lol Gasol is truly one of the smartest and most underappreciated players.
User avatar
PT416
Veteran
Posts: 2,720
And1: 4,228
Joined: Feb 01, 2012

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#984 » by PT416 » Wed May 5, 2021 1:34 am

Son Goku 25 wrote:
PT416 wrote:
Son Goku 25 wrote:
Frustrates me when ppl don't understand how impactful Gasol is.. even at that age and being washed up and all. I will seriously forever cherish how our team had 2 dpoy guys on our team plus a bunch of excellent all around players that just fit in 2019.. even that 2020 Raptors team just needed Siakam to play slightly better and we'd be in finals.

Anyways, Gasol can't ever be disrespected as a Basketball player.

Anyone who couldn't see that Gasol was the best defensive player we've ever had in franchise history was a fool. Casuals don't understand that defence is a thing. We lost our Embiid stopper. He's a Jokic stopper now. It's crazy, Jokic was carving them up vs Drummond and couldn't hit anything vs Gasol. It's so obvious that it's crazy. He's like 36 3rd string C still shutting down MVP candidates like it's nothing.


Yeah I remember when we had him as well, it was like watching a father going up against his son lol Gasol is truly one of the smartest and most underappreciated players.

He's a Lowry level C.
Image
I literally eat poo
User avatar
WaltFrazier
Head Coach
Posts: 6,584
And1: 5,287
Joined: Jan 21, 2006
Location: Ontario
       

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#985 » by WaltFrazier » Wed May 5, 2021 6:46 pm

Zach Lowe on Derozan:

DeRozan is wrapping maybe the best season of his career. Do people realize he's averaging 7.2 assists -- with an assist-to-turnover ratio approaching 4.0? Wild.

DeRozan has been a good passer for a while, but he has made another late-career step forward. He's making reads a beat earlier, and getting off the ball while the defense is still rotating toward him -- not only after they've swarmed. Those early-release passes kick-start swing-swing-swing sequences.

Only Damian Lillard has more points than DeRozan in the last three minutes of games when the score is within three points.


But no one here thinks it'd be good to bring him back.
mdenny
Starter
Posts: 2,092
And1: 2,071
Joined: Jul 05, 2019
         

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#986 » by mdenny » Fri May 7, 2021 12:32 am

Guess we just have to hope that bulls and Pacers win.
gbball
Junior
Posts: 412
And1: 549
Joined: Oct 23, 2009

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#987 » by gbball » Sat May 8, 2021 9:23 pm

This is a couple of weeks old, but this is Bruno's statlines in France

17.3 pts / 6.5 reb / 57% FG / 50% 3P / 81% FT

https://www.reddit.com/r/Euroleague/comments/mxo88v/csp_limoges_is_in_talks_to_sign_a_contract/

From the highlights I've seen he's really able to do a good job slashing and using his size to finish. Seems to be shooting well too.

As much as I've been pushing for the Raptors to give him another chance, I've noticed that he lacks the sharpness/alertness of a similar project in a guy like Freddie Gillespie who has similar measurables. Gillespies seems to make quicker reads and reacts more quickly. Also his personality isn't as reserved which comes through in his play.

You can see here some offensive flashes as well as gaffes on defense due to lack of awareness/focus.



Still going to keep an eye on Bruno. He's still only 25.
tecumseh18
RealGM
Posts: 14,208
And1: 6,570
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Location: Big green house
 

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#988 » by tecumseh18 » Sat May 8, 2021 10:03 pm

Read on Twitter


Thank God we traded this guy. If only for the tank's sake.

Spoiler:
The comments on this tweet point out how the statistics are misleading, especially given that Nurkic came back into the lineup around the time of the trade.
"Say asterisk one more time, m_____rf_____r!"
Gntts
Junior
Posts: 467
And1: 568
Joined: Nov 01, 2012

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#989 » by Gntts » Sun May 9, 2021 10:37 am

Chandan wrote:
DonDoolie wrote:
Chandan wrote:
What logic? It's an observation. Sounds like you have an agenda when you get triggered by a stats like that.
Besides, one 3 point attempt a game for a center of Jonas's calibre isn't bad at all. His eFG% is also 2nd highest in his career, which is also higher than anything siakam has ever put up :lol:


What agenda. You're literally the only one showing an agenda with your cherry picked garbage stats. Last year alone siakam shot 36% on 6 threes a game but I guess Jonas shooting 36.5% on 1 attempt is miles better right? Lmao yikes


what cherry picked? 2 post above is about Jonas shooting 3. I didn't start it.
Siakam is shooting under 30% on 4.5 attempts this year. YIKES.


I still remember season 2017-18 when Siakam was shooting 22% (136 attempts).
Kingsway_fan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,500
And1: 4,374
Joined: May 25, 2016
 

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#990 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun May 9, 2021 6:33 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:Zach Lowe on Derozan:

DeRozan is wrapping maybe the best season of his career. Do people realize he's averaging 7.2 assists -- with an assist-to-turnover ratio approaching 4.0? Wild.

DeRozan has been a good passer for a while, but he has made another late-career step forward. He's making reads a beat earlier, and getting off the ball while the defense is still rotating toward him -- not only after they've swarmed. Those early-release passes kick-start swing-swing-swing sequences.

Only Damian Lillard has more points than DeRozan in the last three minutes of games when the score is within three points.


But no one here thinks it'd be good to bring him back.


We have 22 year old who will start at sg next year .. and og at 3...i would rather have jv back or norm, than dd....
Ell Curry
Veteran
Posts: 2,636
And1: 519
Joined: Oct 27, 2001
Location: Newfoundland

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#991 » by Ell Curry » Mon May 10, 2021 8:21 pm

Derozan makes perfect sense for us if say Trent agrees to sign and we trust him and Lowry and Demar agree to split the 25M or so in cap room we'd have at that point, and say something like Jaxson Hayes and the #10 for Boucher and the #7 to give us a proper 5. Let's say we draft Franz Wagner.

Birch and Hayes splitting the center minutes, Siakam, OG, Demar, Trent and the #7 pick on the wings and Lowry, Van Vleet and Flynn at the guard spots.

But I imagine he'll end up on the Knicks or some team with cap space who can offer more money, or taking the discount he'd take here to be on one of the LA teams or Golden State or ****.
Where's the D?
blackcosmos
Sophomore
Posts: 204
And1: 192
Joined: Nov 20, 2019
     

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#992 » by blackcosmos » Tue May 11, 2021 9:38 am

looking at JV performance this season, did we really played the likes of Hansbrough, Hayes, Gray over JV? Casey with the massive fail.
User avatar
fbalmeida
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,308
And1: 5,878
Joined: Jul 03, 2019
Location: Braga, Portugal
         

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#993 » by fbalmeida » Tue May 11, 2021 10:09 am

If this FO can pull off signing Lowry and DeRozan splitting our cap space that would be incredible.

Don't see it happening at all, but entertaining the thought alone brings me immense joy.
Image
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
User avatar
Jstock12
General Manager
Posts: 9,769
And1: 16,455
Joined: Jun 24, 2012

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#994 » by Jstock12 » Tue May 11, 2021 11:31 am

blackcosmos wrote:looking at JV performance this season, did we really played the likes of Hansbrough, Hayes, Gray over JV? Casey with the massive fail.


Ah Gray. The memories.

GreatWhiteStiff
General Manager
Posts: 9,390
And1: 7,436
Joined: Oct 17, 2011
Location: #EmbraceTheTreadmill
 

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#995 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed May 12, 2021 1:25 am

fbalmeida wrote:If this FO can pull off signing Lowry and DeRozan splitting our cap space that would be incredible.

Don't see it happening at all, but entertaining the thought alone brings me immense joy.

Bball Jones would definitely not troll so brazenly
So you can't be him.
"Yes because he completely turned around a disastrous 5-12 team and helped them in every facet of the game. If Melo keeps it up, he is legit MVP candidate."

-EricMillegan
User avatar
Vietbrah
Pro Prospect
Posts: 779
And1: 912
Joined: Nov 13, 2007
     

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#996 » by Vietbrah » Wed May 12, 2021 6:11 am

Read on Twitter
sbsat
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,905
And1: 2,865
Joined: Jan 03, 2014

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#997 » by sbsat » Wed May 12, 2021 12:15 pm

We will regret dumping davis for a srp when its all said and done
User avatar
Jstock12
General Manager
Posts: 9,769
And1: 16,455
Joined: Jun 24, 2012

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#998 » by Jstock12 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:12 pm

Vietbrah wrote:
Read on Twitter


Damn this kid's really good, and only 23. Wish there was a way to acquire him. Perhaps with a first rounder :D
User avatar
lobosloboslobos
General Manager
Posts: 9,988
And1: 12,867
Joined: Jan 08, 2009
Location: space is the place
 

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#999 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri May 14, 2021 3:55 am

Jonas last 4 games:

24/13/3/1 blk on 8-10 shooting
20/11/2/5 on 9-12
18/21/1/4 on 9-15
19/16/2/2 on 9-12

average: 20/15/2/3 on 70% shooting

plus he is defending like a mofo these days. not perfect but way improved.

anyone think JV wants to make the playoffs?
Kingsway_fan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,500
And1: 4,374
Joined: May 25, 2016
 

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#1000 » by Kingsway_fan » Fri May 14, 2021 3:59 am

lobosloboslobos wrote:Jonas last 4 games:

24/13/3/1 blk on 8-10 shooting
20/11/2/5 on 9-12
18/21/1/4 on 9-15
19/16/2/2 on 9-12

average: 20/15/2/3 on 70% shooting

plus he is defending like a mofo these days. not perfect but way improved.

anyone think JV wants to make the playoffs?


What they are paying him is a steal.... raps top 3 with jc as c..

Return to Toronto Raptors