ImageImageImageImageImage

Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#181 » by XxIronChainzxX » Mon May 27, 2019 5:33 pm

GQStylin wrote:
kalel123 wrote:While my post was recognition that Kawhi was the difference maker that DeRozan never was, I don't think any Raptors fans should be putting him down either. He led this team to the best of his abilities to heights that his predecessors, namely Carter and Bosh, with much better talent never could. He worked tirelessly on his craft and probably met, if not exceeded, his potential. The fact that he was never that guy.... it is what it is. Not his fault.

I'd say it is his fault for not recognizing his limitations and not trying to do everything himself thinking he can be like Lebron or Durant when clearly he isn't capable of it. And I'd say its also the fault of the media and especially Casey for almost neverendingly pumping his tires and making him believe he was a superstar player and giving him unlimited chances to fail even at the cost of the team losing playoff games when it would've made more sense to put in different players and try different things rather than 'ride or die' with Demar because he's 'our star'.

And if he worked tirelessly on his game, it sure didn't show all these years with his horrid defense and hot and cold offense. As I said even as Kawhi's offense cooled off in the Bucks series, he was still making a major impact on the floor with his defense, rebounding etc. while Demar was just a pylon that got burned again and again by opposing players.

I think this team would've had more success in previous years if we didn't try and push Demar to become something he clearly isn't capable of.

If you think he could've done more given his natural talent level and the team he had, that's really on you. Not him. He did what he could with what he was given and never complained about being in another country, taxes, weather, and all that BS like many of others, who had much less to give, did before him. You gotta at least respect that. Respect and move on.

I do respect him as being a good person and wanting to stay with the Raps, but that's unrelated to his on court play which sucked alot of the time and forcing him to be our number one option and 'star' player when he clearly wasn't hurt this franchaise alot and held us back from greater success. Demar and Lowry ball hogging and taking boatload of shots that they kept missing hurt this team so damn much in so many playoff games. So yeah Demar seems to be a good person and its great that he loved the Raps and Canada, but that doesn't mean I still didn't dislike the way he played on the team and am super glad that he's gone.

Who exactly was Lowry supposed to pass the ball to on those squads? DeMar? You’ve already taken your shots. Are we asking Vasquez or Patterson to close out games? Carrol? Bismack? You think going inside to JV every game is the move?

We didn’t have a go to scorer. The best one as streaky as he was on those teams was probably Kyle.

And let’s not forget how much of that was coaching and Casey using DD/Lowry like they were LeBron/Kyrie in the last two minutes.
FreshyFlames
Rookie
And1: 1,044

Post#182 » by FreshyFlames » Tue May 28, 2019 2:57 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:Losing Jv and delon for fat bargs... #failure

Finals bitch. **** the fake fans
Raps in 6ix
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,489

Post#183 » by OakleyDokely » Tue May 28, 2019 8:11 pm

Casey speaks

“It’s been interesting to watch but they are a totally different team with Leonard, Gasol and Danny Green,” Casey told Talk Basket in an exclusive interview this week.“They are three experienced players who I would have given anything to have on my team. With their experience and championship pedigree, they have the experience to win.”

Casey, the 2017-18 Coach of the Year who was dismissed by the Raptors a couple days after winning the award, sees obvious parallels between the Raptors’ rise to prominence and the Milwaukee Bucks’ ascent.

“Milwaukee is going through the same thing Toronto went through the last three years. Growing pains,” Casey said.

“Winning a championship and playing for a championship is very hard to do. It takes multiple times of being there to get over that hump. Just look at the history of the league and you will see teams struggle before they win big in the playoffs.”

https://www.talkbasket.net/43708-exclusive-former-raptors-coach-dwane-casey-weighs-in-on-teams-first-nba-finals-appearance
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#184 » by kalel123 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:28 pm

GQStylin wrote:
kalel123 wrote:While my post was recognition that Kawhi was the difference maker that DeRozan never was, I don't think any Raptors fans should be putting him down either. He led this team to the best of his abilities to heights that his predecessors, namely Carter and Bosh, with much better talent never could. He worked tirelessly on his craft and probably met, if not exceeded, his potential. The fact that he was never that guy.... it is what it is. Not his fault.

I'd say it is his fault for not recognizing his limitations and not trying to do everything himself thinking he can be like Lebron or Durant when clearly he isn't capable of it. And I'd say its also the fault of the media and especially Casey for almost neverendingly pumping his tires and making him believe he was a superstar player and giving him unlimited chances to fail even at the cost of the team losing playoff games when it would've made more sense to put in different players and try different things rather than 'ride or die' with Demar because he's 'our star'.

And if he worked tirelessly on his game, it sure didn't show all these years with his horrid defense and hot and cold offense. As I said even as Kawhi's offense cooled off in the Bucks series, he was still making a major impact on the floor with his defense, rebounding etc. while Demar was just a pylon that got burned again and again by opposing players.

I think this team would've had more success in previous years if we didn't try and push Demar to become something he clearly isn't capable of.

If you think he could've done more given his natural talent level and the team he had, that's really on you. Not him. He did what he could with what he was given and never complained about being in another country, taxes, weather, and all that BS like many of others, who had much less to give, did before him. You gotta at least respect that. Respect and move on.

I do respect him as being a good person and wanting to stay with the Raps, but that's unrelated to his on court play which sucked alot of the time and forcing him to be our number one option and 'star' player when he clearly wasn't hurt this franchaise alot and held us back from greater success. Demar and Lowry ball hogging and taking boatload of shots that they kept missing hurt this team so damn much in so many playoff games. So yeah Demar seems to be a good person and its great that he loved the Raps and Canada, but that doesn't mean I still didn't dislike the way he played on the team and am super glad that he's gone.

Well, you've got serious delusions about how talented DeMar DeRozan really was or how talented the team surrounding him was or you just hate DeMar too much to see reason.

If you've watched him from the beginning, you'd realize how far he's come and how much work he put in year-to-year unless you are being blinded by hate. And given the team surrounding him, if you believe there were better options... well again hate.

There's no greater success this team could've had no matter how differently DeRozan or Lowry play. This team went as far as it could've possibly gone given the players (including DeRozan) and the coach. If you realize the level of talent DeRozan actually had and the team and the coach... there's really no reason to hate or whatever it is you are feeling. Ujiri said as much himself about the team going as far as they could go and luckily, Kawhi happened to be available at the right time and under the right circumstances.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#185 » by kalel123 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:33 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Casey speaks

“It’s been interesting to watch but they are a totally different team with Leonard, Gasol and Danny Green,” Casey told Talk Basket in an exclusive interview this week.“They are three experienced players who I would have given anything to have on my team. With their experience and championship pedigree, they have the experience to win.”

Casey, the 2017-18 Coach of the Year who was dismissed by the Raptors a couple days after winning the award, sees obvious parallels between the Raptors’ rise to prominence and the Milwaukee Bucks’ ascent.

“Milwaukee is going through the same thing Toronto went through the last three years. Growing pains,” Casey said.

“Winning a championship and playing for a championship is very hard to do. It takes multiple times of being there to get over that hump. Just look at the history of the league and you will see teams struggle before they win big in the playoffs.”

https://www.talkbasket.net/43708-exclusive-former-raptors-coach-dwane-casey-weighs-in-on-teams-first-nba-finals-appearance

This a-hole needs to STFU already. It's never his fault. We wouldn't have won with this clown still coaching this team.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM

Post#186 » by XxIronChainzxX » Wed May 29, 2019 1:30 am

The way he took a shot at Kyle is pretty shocking. He knows Ibaka also went to the Finals, right?
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#187 » by Red_Claw » Wed May 29, 2019 3:15 pm

Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#188 » by Vlade Divac » Wed May 29, 2019 3:25 pm

Dwane when we sealed game 6.

On a serious note I would bet my house that he was trully pissed when we secured finals. How could he not be?
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#189 » by Vlade Divac » Wed May 29, 2019 3:29 pm

DeRozan Is Happy for Raptors

Lowry: 'He has texted everyone he has a relationship with and let them know how happy he is for us'
ZemGOAT
Veteran
And1: 5,729

Post#190 » by ZemGOAT » Thu May 30, 2019 5:21 pm

DeMar should come at a game
maybe game 2
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM

Post#191 » by XxIronChainzxX » Thu May 30, 2019 8:01 pm

Vlade Divac wrote:DeRozan Is Happy for Raptors

Lowry: 'He has texted everyone he has a relationship with and let them know how happy he is for us'

That's not the same as being happy for the Raptors. And IMO, it's unfair for people to ask Demar to be happy for the franchise as a whole when the whole run is just proof of his limits as a player.
dgr81
General Manager
And1: 10,889

Post#192 » by dgr81 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:03 pm

CBC was live with JYD who is here.

I felt kind of bad for him. He walked up to the fence beside the lineup for Jurrasic Park and it seemed like no one knew who he was.
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Post#193 » by Drygon » Sat Jun 1, 2019 7:34 am

kalel123 wrote:While my post was recognition that Kawhi was the difference maker that DeRozan never was, I don't think any Raptors fans should be putting him down either. He led this team to the best of his abilities to heights that his predecessors, namely Carter and Bosh, with much better talent never could.

What a terrible comparison.

DeRozan had a significantly much better supporting cast than Vince & Bosh ever had.

Never mind that Raptors' front office during 90s/00s was a joke compared to how it's now with Masai Uriji as GM.
itsme23
Rookie
And1: 1,064

Post#194 » by itsme23 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 3:05 pm

Where fans need to show love for Demar even if you didn’t like him is if he didn’t give his all year in and year out he would have never gotten his trade value to the level that we would have got a disgruntled Kawhi in return.

Think about it the spurs probably would have hung up the phone if anyone else was offered in the package.

So if Derozan stays as a mediocre star and if he was not on the all nba team a few times then the spurs would never make that deal.

Majority of the fans love Demar but even if you don’t you have to appreciate that.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#195 » by RaptorsLife » Sat Jun 1, 2019 5:43 pm

itsme23 wrote:Where fans need to show love for Demar even if you didn’t like him is if he didn’t give his all year in and year out he would have never gotten his trade value to the level that we would have got a disgruntled Kawhi in return.

Think about it the spurs probably would have hung up the phone if anyone else was offered in the package.

So if Derozan stays as a mediocre star and if he was not on the all nba team a few times then the spurs would never make that deal.

Majority of the fans love Demar but even if you don’t you have to appreciate that.

**** Derozan. He’s not a raptor anymore and acted like a dummy when he got traded

I hope to god I don’t see him in a Toronto raptors uniform anymore
Raptors til death
itsme23
Rookie
And1: 1,064

Post#196 » by itsme23 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 7:00 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:
itsme23 wrote:Where fans need to show love for Demar even if you didn’t like him is if he didn’t give his all year in and year out he would have never gotten his trade value to the level that we would have got a disgruntled Kawhi in return.

**** Derozan. He’s not a raptor anymore and acted like a dummy when he got traded

I hope to god I don’t see him in a Toronto raptors uniform anymore

He didn’t show disrespect and your an idiot.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#197 » by Kabookalu » Sat Jun 1, 2019 8:55 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:**** Casey. He’s not a raptor anymore and acted like a dummy when he got fired.
Read on Twitter
Gold Dragon
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,582

Post#198 » by Gold Dragon » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:23 am

Double Helix wrote:The work of the previous playoff teams, including DeMar, helped the supporting cast improve and be better prepared to get here and the flaws those teams had helped Masai realize the coaching and personal changes that would increase our chances further.

We laugh a lot about the 76ers usage of the #theprocess but team-building often is that. Rare is the team that doesn’t taste stinging defeat prior to a Finals appearance.

I’ll always have some respect for Casey & DeRozan and JV & Delon and even *gulp* (dare I admit it?) Colangelo for being the one to actually get us the GOAT long-term Raptor in Kyle Lowry. Even though it was Masai who helped Lowry mature.

It really is a journey. One without convenient narratives. One where one of the most hated personalities (BC) really did play some small part in what is here today and one where a divisive player (DeRozan) helped us get the least flawed player we’ve ever had for this run. The journey was long with many highs and lows but they all lead to now.

Yes. All these guys played a part in getting the team to where it is. They had their flaws but should be appreciated for what they provided.

I don't consider myself a BC apologist but his contributions are often overlooked because of his later blunders. Look at what the team was like before he came on. It was a train wreck. He was ahead of his time on European players, drafted Demar, JV, Ross and took the raps organization out of bush league territory. He traded for Lowry and Gay to make a pretty good lineup on paper that was horrendous on the court.

He gave Masai a lot of the player capital that was needed to create this team we now enjoy but lacked the vision that Masai had for putting together a coherent team capable of championship level play.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#199 » by will » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:44 am

Did TSN let go of Mo Pete or Mo Pete chose to leave his tv duties on TSN?
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#200 » by Kingsway_fan » Thu Jun 6, 2019 12:49 pm

Jalen has been outstanding as a comentator and rap fan......

Return to Toronto Raptors