ImageImageImageImageImage

Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#21 » by Kabookalu » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:05 am

Matty wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:Also, I have to say that Lou Williams and Rudy Gay were my two most hated Raptors of all time. But I was actually cheering for them this postseason. I love the improvements they've made to become more winning players. I thought Lou was a hopeless case, but he became a damn good floor general, and Rudy Gay changed up his game where he's bullying his way closer to the basket so he can use his length to get good positioning. These kinds of stories win me over.

Carroll on the other hand :nonono:

LOL Why do you hate Lou?

He's the most selfish player I've ever watched live besides Jamal Crawford. He kills all offensive flow in order to get his ISOs. I happened to be in New Orleans when the Raptors played them and saw them live. The offense completely changes every single time he steps onto the floor. No chemistry. He waves his teammates off to ISO. It was so disgusting to watch.

Now you're probably thinking this describes DeMar too. The game I saw the starting lineup had great chemistry with each other, and this included James Johnson who I always thought was a chemistry killer. They moved in unison with each other and everyone knew their role, and that was to get DeMar the ball. That game really opened my eyes to Casey as a coach since he's the one forcing the offense around a player that doesn't have the pedigree and skills to be the first option. There was a beautiful flow with how the starting lineup played, but the goal of all that ball and player movement was misguided.

The second unit was the complete opposite that was just as misguided. I remember Ross was going to do an Iverson cut, but then once the ball got to Lou's hands, he stopped in place, had this omfg face, and sat in the corners with his hands on his hips as if he already knew what kind of bs was going to happen. Whenever Lou's 4 other teammates were trying to move off the ball and run the offense, Lou waved them off so that he can ISO at the top. It was so blatant too. Vasquez would order something out, and Ross, Hansbrough, and Johnson would immediately get into place to run the play, but Lou would run up to Vasquez demanding the ball and hijack the offense.

I've watched a lot of Clippers games live the past 2 years, and Lou has cleaned up his act. He's fun to watch because he's so talented and skilled as a player. With the Raptors I couldn't stand him though.
Read on Twitter
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#22 » by whoknows » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:34 pm

GooniesNeverDie wrote:
everdiso wrote:
Natural11 wrote:Poor performance from DD in game 7. I like the guy, but he needs to be a third option like KL is now.

The problem is he's paid too much for a team to have two guys better than him and still afford a decent supporting cast. He's kind of in that prime Melo territory of bring too good to make a medium salary and too expensive to fit on a championship caliber team. The Spurs need to get lucky with a cheap emerging star (ala Pascal). Not sure if Murray is that guy, but some are predicting him to have a MIP type of year when he's healthy.

Problem is he's no good as 3rd option because a) he's a bad off-the-ball offensive player b) terrible defensively.

The role Demar is best suited for is 6th man a la Lou Williams.

the nuggets were leaving him open way too often when he didn't have the ball in his hands. if siakam can develop a spot up shot, i dont understand why demar cant.

DD is a limited player which crumbles under pressure. I'm glad he's out of Toronto!
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Post#23 » by lebron stopper » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:22 pm

Kabookalu wrote:DeRozan finished a series with his best showing with .557TS%, by far his best. His defense was decent for the most part too. His closeouts always suck, but his help positioning at times was spot on.

He was dreadful in game 7, and he's getting rightly hammered for it as he should, but I came out of that game thinking it was more Aldridge's fault than his. He's so useless if he's not hitting those contested fadeaways, and he clogged up the paint because he's always looking to post up. I know I'm a Derrick White stan so I'll be biased, and he himself has to blame for being so bad, but White had so little room to carve up the lanes because of Aldridge. Even when he'd successfully beat Harris off the dribble, Jokic or Plumlee were always in good position to challenge him because of Aldridge. I got so frustrated watching that game because White had a lot of good opportunities to attack the paint, but Aldridge would get in his way demanding the ball, only to settle for some awful late clock fadeaway.

However DeRozan really does need to not suck as a spot up shooter to be more conducive on a winning team. The fact that he can't even spot up from mid range hurts the Spurs a lot, which is on top of Aldridge being a blackhole in the post. I remember in his second year we ran a lot of off ball pindowns for him to get open for mid range. It kills me every time he gets open off of curls, and instead of pulling up he dribbles into the post to settle for fadeaway jumpers. Watching Kawhi and DeMar back to back really opens your eyes to the discrepancy in their skills as a mid range threat. Contrary to what all the commentators say, DeMar isn't the mid range master.

If I'm the Spurs I move on from both LMA and DD this offseason.
HiMyNameIsTrey
General Manager
And1: 12,646

Post#24 » by HiMyNameIsTrey » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:44 pm

I never got the hate Lou got in 2015. Lowry was hurt and the whole team crumbled which was no surprise. Give me a Lou off the bench over Derozan as a starter any day of the week. In some hypothetical scenario where we re-signed Lou and got rid of Derozan would we really miss much. Instead we were playoff frauds. Can’t believe we had a low IQ SG that wasn’t a shooting threat for the longest time.

Lowry/Cory
Ross/Lou/Norm
Carroll/JJ
Patterson/Scola
JV/BB
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#25 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:47 pm

SAS had like half of the former Raptors haha
Credits to Jstock12
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#26 » by Kabookalu » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:26 pm

HiMyNameIsTrey wrote:I never got the hate Lou got in 2015. Lowry was hurt and the whole team crumbled which was no surprise. Give me a Lou off the bench over Derozan as a starter any day of the week. In some hypothetical scenario where we re-signed Lou and got rid of Derozan would we really miss much. Instead we were playoff frauds. Can’t believe we had a low IQ SG that wasn’t a shooting threat for the longest time.

Lowry/Cory
Ross/Lou/Norm
Carroll/JJ
Patterson/Scola
JV/BB

What's not to get? Guy was a massive ballhog, almost as bad as Rudy Gay. He played zero defense. And he was a distraction in the lockerroom forming cabals with players. There's a reason why we got better essentially replacing him with Cory Joseph.

As much as I hate Casey, I'll never question his teams' ability to fight. 2014-15 is the most pathetic Casey led Raptors team when it came to effort.

Read on Twitter
Useyourhead
Senior
And1: 486

Post#27 » by Useyourhead » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:43 am

Sigh i wish we still had Delon and JV, whoever convinced Masai to do the Gasol trade should be fired...
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#28 » by Kingsway_fan » Wed May 1, 2019 1:33 am

Useyourhead wrote:Sigh i wish we still had Delon and JV, whoever convinced Masai to do the Gasol trade should be fired...

I agree.

Team gets abused by Monroe, ffs
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,748

Post#29 » by Badonkadonk » Wed May 1, 2019 5:39 am

Useyourhead wrote:Sigh i wish we still had Delon and JV, whoever convinced Masai to do the Gasol trade should be fired...

Even 80% of a former DPOY made this trade a no brainer. Add in the impact he's had to the offense and I really have no idea what games you've been watching.

Uncle Dennis
General Manager
And1: 12,096

Post#30 » by Uncle Dennis » Thu May 2, 2019 12:33 am

Read on Twitter

JV fans will be happy with this news.
spicy4MVP
Sixth Man
And1: 1,963

Would we have won game 2 if we had JV instead of Gasol 

Post#31 » by spicy4MVP » Thu May 2, 2019 2:21 pm

I know for a fact if I asked JV instead of Ibaka, we would have annihilated 76ers. but if we subbed him for gasol due to matchup Nurse would have started him instead of Ibaka anyway. With ibaka bricking his shots and not grabbing any rebounds, would Jv have made the difference with 76ers adjustments or would he be blocked out too. What do you think?
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,729

Re: Would we have won game 2 if we had JV instead of Gasol 

Post#32 » by Duffman100 » Thu May 2, 2019 2:23 pm

casey_glory7 wrote:I know for a fact if I asked JV instead of Ibaka, we would have annihilated 76ers. but if we subbed him for gasol due to matchup Nurse would have started him instead of Ibaka anyway. With ibaka bricking his shots and not grabbing any rebounds, would Jv have made the difference with 76ers adjustments or would he be blocked out too. What do you think?

We have this thread for a reason.
Useyourhead
Senior
And1: 486

Post#33 » by Useyourhead » Fri May 3, 2019 3:26 am

Badonkadonk wrote:

Even 80% of a former DPOY made this trade a no brainer. Add in the impact he's had to the offense and I really have no idea what games you've been watching.

What games have you been watching?!?!?!?! Once they exposed Gasol to the fact they don't need to defend him, Philly has been lights out and just so you know, JV posted better overall defensive numbers than gasol this year.

Gasol is a terrible rim defender, has poor weak side defense because he's slow and cannot rebound either. The real no brainer move would have been not to do the trade to begin with.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,874

Post#34 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri May 3, 2019 10:03 am

Keep this former player thing open. Might be adding Danny and Kawhi to it.
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,905

Post#35 » by bape_lovers » Fri May 3, 2019 3:18 pm

even if they leave, I will definitely cheer for them wherever they decide to leave too. These 8 games from the playoffs shows how they embrace the raptor jersey

OAKLEY_2 wrote:Keep this former player thing open. Might be adding Danny and Kawhi to it.

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,159

Post#36 » by djsunyc » Fri May 3, 2019 3:54 pm

no way - this was ok b/c it was in season. once the season's done, no need for this thread.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,629

Post#37 » by Johnny Bball » Sat May 4, 2019 3:14 pm

Kabookalu wrote:DeRozan finished a series with his best showing with .557TS%, by far his best. His defense was decent for the most part too. His closeouts always suck, but his help positioning at times was spot on.

He was dreadful in game 7, and he's getting rightly hammered for it as he should, but I came out of that game thinking it was more Aldridge's fault than his. He's so useless if he's not hitting those contested fadeaways, and he clogged up the paint because he's always looking to post up. I know I'm a Derrick White stan so I'll be biased, and he himself has to blame for being so bad, but White had so little room to carve up the lanes because of Aldridge. Even when he'd successfully beat Harris off the dribble, Jokic or Plumlee were always in good position to challenge him because of Aldridge. I got so frustrated watching that game because White had a lot of good opportunities to attack the paint, but Aldridge would get in his way demanding the ball, only to settle for some awful late clock fadeaway.

However DeRozan really does need to not suck as a spot up shooter to be more conducive on a winning team. The fact that he can't even spot up from mid range hurts the Spurs a lot, which is on top of Aldridge being a blackhole in the post. I remember in his second year we ran a lot of off ball pindowns for him to get open for mid range. It kills me every time he gets open off of curls, and instead of pulling up he dribbles into the post to settle for fadeaway jumpers. Watching Kawhi and DeMar back to back really opens your eyes to the discrepancy in their skills as a mid range threat. Contrary to what all the commentators say, DeMar isn't the mid range master.

Second option in San Antonio behind Aldridge. All of a sudden TS% is different. Also matters who he's surrounded by, shooters or gaping holes at 2 or 3 positions. People never understood it here. And won't ever. Loses game 7 on the road to the Denver and people expected a different result... lol.

There, now people have something else to go off about.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#38 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue May 7, 2019 5:41 am

Unexpected thing

Demar has had a better postseason than Kyrie so far

DD: 22/7/5 2Tos on 56TS

Kyrie

22/5/7 3Tos on 52TS

of course, Kyrie actually won a series but the Nuggets are way better than the Pacers
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#39 » by howlin mad axer » Tue May 7, 2019 11:29 pm

Andre Iguodala... oh wait.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#40 » by Patman » Wed May 8, 2019 3:01 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:Unexpected thing

Demar has had a better postseason than Kyrie so far

DD: 22/7/5 2Tos on 56TS

Kyrie

22/5/7 3Tos on 52TS

of course, Kyrie actually won a series but the Nuggets are way better than the Pacers

Pop has gotten the best out of DeMar.

Return to Toronto Raptors