ImageImageImageImageImage

Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#421 » by Kevin Willis » Sun Nov 3, 2019 8:01 pm

Rust_Cohle wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:
DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:You could tell something was off. Kawhi was super awkward here. He is a great player but his personality while here was weird. Seems way more comfortable in LA and our team seems more happy as well which is good for both parties. Let's be real Kawhi wanted to go to LA and let everyone know it. We traded for him knowing that as well.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

Agree but by the end of the season Kawhi bought in and liked it here. A part of me wants Kawhi to fail to illustrate he was wrong to think this team wasn't good enough. Kawhi has a lot of hidden storylines to disprove.

- This Clippers team is better than the Raptors team. That justifies his decision to leave for more talent
- The Raptors needed him to win. If the Raptors get a better record without Kawhi than with - which is possible - it shows that Kyle is the true leader of this team. It would be a knock against Kawhi
- Kyle's \ Pascal's \ Gasol's \ FVV's numbers greatly improve. Shows that Kawhi's presence actually made other players sacrifice their game.
- Our Defensive Rating stays really good. Shows that Kawhi was an important part of our defense but not the only part. Also Clippers improving their defensive rating shows that Kawhi can make a teams defense improve on his own.
- Style of offense. Clippers offense right now is a lot like ours with Kawhi but even more Kawhi dominant. Our offense is like ours without Kawhi (last year) and the Clippers last year

Raps without Kawhi don’t get out of the second round. Also the east is much worse than the west this season. Clippers are missing PG which is massive. Kawhi still looks like the best player in the league.

Kawhi was even calling the Raptors “them” and “they” during the championship celebration. He’s definitely much more comfortable in LA. Raptors did everything they could but he really had to drag them through those first two rounds last year. I think Raps are still a good team but clippers look really scary this early. Tons of potential and all without Paul George. Kawhi will probably get
MVP.

Last year Raps don't get out of the second round without Kawhi - that's correct. This year who knows, the playoff brackets aren't set yet. Yep the East is weaker than last year where there was Milwaukee, Philly, Boston and Toronto who were all called championship caliber by Klay at some point.

Kawhi wanted to go home since he was in San Antonio. However if he had to he would stay here another year for another run until either Lakers or Clippers got their stuff together. He was leaving regardless, it just mattered when. Clippers are scary but they're flawed. They have some elite role players but the Raptors had a team of interchangeable 3+D guys who were good but not superstar level. Their starting line-up had guys who all were, are or could be All-Defensive team players. That doesn't include Ibaka off the bench. That's a ridiculously good team. Paul G. is a superstar level all-around level. Lou is elite bench scorer. Montrezl is an elite hustle guy. Beverley is an elite defender. But there are weaknesses there. Make Bev a scorer or shooter. Make Lou defend. Make Montrezl a shooter. Sag off Zubac.

Raptors first round needed Kawhi to slap some sense into them at the beginning of the series. After that they demolished Magic and didn't need Kawhi. They needed Kawhi for Philly. Team effort for Milwaukee and GSW. Raptors were one of the better 3+D teams to win a championship. They weren't the most talented - by far. They didn't have the best defense. They didn't have the best shooters or offense or coaching. But the whole rotation could 3+D, were long and disruptive with Kawhi leading it.

Anyways metrics will show the impact of Kawhi this year. That was my point, get rid of the subjective and look at the data. For instance Kawhi's usage rate is 40% this year. Last year it was 30%. That's No. 2 in the league. That's why Clippers are flawed, they rely too much on him. For comparison Lebron, Pascal and Doncic are around 30%. Right now he's hands down MVP but they rely too much on him.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,226

Post#422 » by Rust_Cohle » Mon Nov 4, 2019 5:15 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:
Agree but by the end of the season Kawhi bought in and liked it here. A part of me wants Kawhi to fail to illustrate he was wrong to think this team wasn't good enough. Kawhi has a lot of hidden storylines to disprove.

- This Clippers team is better than the Raptors team. That justifies his decision to leave for more talent
- The Raptors needed him to win. If the Raptors get a better record without Kawhi than with - which is possible - it shows that Kyle is the true leader of this team. It would be a knock against Kawhi
- Kyle's \ Pascal's \ Gasol's \ FVV's numbers greatly improve. Shows that Kawhi's presence actually made other players sacrifice their game.
- Our Defensive Rating stays really good. Shows that Kawhi was an important part of our defense but not the only part. Also Clippers improving their defensive rating shows that Kawhi can make a teams defense improve on his own.
- Style of offense. Clippers offense right now is a lot like ours with Kawhi but even more Kawhi dominant. Our offense is like ours without Kawhi (last year) and the Clippers last year

Raps without Kawhi don’t get out of the second round. Also the east is much worse than the west this season. Clippers are missing PG which is massive. Kawhi still looks like the best player in the league.

Kawhi was even calling the Raptors “them” and “they” during the championship celebration. He’s definitely much more comfortable in LA. Raptors did everything they could but he really had to drag them through those first two rounds last year. I think Raps are still a good team but clippers look really scary this early. Tons of potential and all without Paul George. Kawhi will probably get
MVP.

Last year Raps don't get out of the second round without Kawhi - that's correct. This year who knows, the playoff brackets aren't set yet. Yep the East is weaker than last year where there was Milwaukee, Philly, Boston and Toronto who were all called championship caliber by Klay at some point.

Kawhi wanted to go home since he was in San Antonio. However if he had to he would stay here another year for another run until either Lakers or Clippers got their stuff together. He was leaving regardless, it just mattered when. Clippers are scary but they're flawed. They have some elite role players but the Raptors had a team of interchangeable 3+D guys who were good but not superstar level. Their starting line-up had guys who all were, are or could be All-Defensive team players. That doesn't include Ibaka off the bench. That's a ridiculously good team. Paul G. is a superstar level all-around level. Lou is elite bench scorer. Montrezl is an elite hustle guy. Beverley is an elite defender. But there are weaknesses there. Make Bev a scorer or shooter. Make Lou defend. Make Montrezl a shooter. Sag off Zubac.

Raptors first round needed Kawhi to slap some sense into them at the beginning of the series. After that they demolished Magic and didn't need Kawhi. They needed Kawhi for Philly. Team effort for Milwaukee and GSW. Raptors were one of the better 3+D teams to win a championship. They weren't the most talented - by far. They didn't have the best defense. They didn't have the best shooters or offense or coaching. But the whole rotation could 3+D, were long and disruptive with Kawhi leading it.

Anyways metrics will show the impact of Kawhi this year. That was my point, get rid of the subjective and look at the data. For instance Kawhi's usage rate is 40% this year. Last year it was 30%. That's No. 2 in the league. That's why Clippers are flawed, they rely too much on him. For comparison Lebron, Pascal and Doncic are around 30%. Right now he's hands down MVP but they rely too much on him.

His usage rate will go down once Paul George returns. I think it will go back down to the 30% rate.

It is a shame Kawhi didn't stay, I think Philly improved but Raptors with Kawhi would be an amazing ECF/rematch.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#423 » by Kabookalu » Tue Nov 5, 2019 3:10 am

Read on Twitter
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#424 » by Bankai » Tue Nov 5, 2019 2:27 pm

Kabookalu wrote:

Never thought id see the day where Bruno is consistently getting serious Highlight Reels now. He truly has made it.

Good for him, maybe the trade actually lit a fire under his butt, or maybe the Raptors were impatient with him, who knows.

Bruno was considered Masai's failed Pick, but Bruno is doing well in Memphis, so I guess Masai's eye for Players is still great.
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#425 » by gerrit4 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 3:08 pm

Bankai wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:

Never thought id see the day where Bruno is consistently getting serious Highlight Reels now. He truly has made it.

Good for him, maybe the trade actually lit a fire under his butt, or maybe the Raptors were impatient with him, who knows.

Bruno was considered Masai's failed Pick, but Bruno is doing well in Memphis, so I guess Masai's eye for Players is still great.

Yeah, you can clearly see why he wanted Bruno based on how he has developed, and how the league has changed.

The one thing that the Bruno pick really exposed was how terrible our development system was back then. We had no D-League team (we shared one with like 5 other teams) and couldn't find a way to get Bruno minutes, or really develop him at all. That became totally apparent with the pick, and probably helped us get one of the best development systems in basketball.
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,648

Post#426 » by sbsat » Tue Nov 5, 2019 3:58 pm

Bankai wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:

Has he made it? He has found getting minutes on a terrible memphis team hard to come by. He'll always be intriguing and he still may carve a role for himself long-term, but he hasn't made it.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#427 » by Kabookalu » Tue Nov 5, 2019 4:06 pm

sbsat wrote:
Bankai wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:

Has he made it? He has found getting minutes on a terrible memphis team hard to come by. He'll always be intriguing and he still may carve a role for himself long-term, but he hasn't made it.

Even if Memphis isn't good, they're loaded with big men, so it's been tough trying to find minutes. Last season when they were scant of quality bigs Bruno had a consistent role and was a solid two way rotation player. Last night was the first time this season he wasn't just there for insurance when one of their bigs was in foul trouble, and he delivered.

Read on Twitter
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,648

Post#428 » by sbsat » Tue Nov 5, 2019 4:15 pm

Kabookalu wrote:
sbsat wrote:
Bankai wrote:Never thought id see the day where Bruno is consistently getting serious Highlight Reels now. He truly has made it.

Even if Memphis isn't good, they're loaded with big men, so it's been tough trying to find minutes. Last season when they were scant of quality bigs Bruno had a consistent role and was a solid two way rotation player. Last night was the first time this season he wasn't just there for insurance when one of their bigs was in foul trouble, and he delivered.

my point is he hasn't made it. Jury is still out on him. He may very well carve out a nice role for himself in this league, but who knows
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#429 » by Kingsway_fan » Tue Nov 5, 2019 6:38 pm

How they dont play Bruno much and we can pluck him for raps next season... he would be perfect backup for siakim...
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#430 » by Kevin Willis » Wed Nov 6, 2019 2:43 am

Kawhi is out for load management against Milwaukee. Giannis is going to feast.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM

Post#431 » by Kingsway_fan » Wed Nov 6, 2019 3:39 am

Kingsway_fan wrote:Hope they dont play Bruno much and we can pluck him for raps next season... he would be perfect backup for siakim...
TheRealDeal
RealGM
And1: 11,821

Post#432 » by TheRealDeal » Wed Nov 6, 2019 5:15 am

I totally forgot that Vince Carter was drafted by the Golden State Warriors. It all comes full circle
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#433 » by Alfred » Wed Nov 6, 2019 8:29 am

Biyombo had a good game!
Mart1546
Junior
And1: 137

Post#434 » by Mart1546 » Wed Nov 6, 2019 3:34 pm

I was looking forward to Kawhi vs. Giannis tonight, doubt I’ll even watch it now. Clippers preached he’s healthy, wonder if it’s him requesting these nights off?
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#435 » by The_Hater » Wed Nov 6, 2019 6:21 pm

Bankai wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:

Let’s actually look at some facts here first. Memphis is odds on favourite for the worst team in their conference and Bruno isn’t even in their regular rotation. He’s played 42 minutes in 4 games, got DNP-CD in 2 others and currently has a TS% of 38.2%.

Yes he’s finally made an NBA roster after years in the g league but he’s still not a useful NBA player in what is now season #6. Nothing has changed, this is still Masai’s worst move and a failed pick.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Tval6ixball
Ballboy
And1: 35

Post#436 » by Tval6ixball » Fri Nov 8, 2019 10:56 am

Lou will on raptor teammates stopping him from retiring and also briefly talks about why the Raptors let him go

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B4kQv_7pn4D/?igshid=12g7m7hveoins
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#437 » by fbalmeida » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:01 am

Tval6ixball wrote:Lou will on raptor teammates stopping him from retiring and also briefly talks about why the Raptors let him go

Lifestyle ****? Complaints with the wives?

I admit I'm out of the loop here, but I imagine the details are fascinating. :eek1:
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
Tval6ixball
Ballboy
And1: 35

Post#438 » by Tval6ixball » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:51 am

fbalmeida wrote:
Tval6ixball wrote:Lou will on raptor teammates stopping him from retiring and also briefly talks about why the Raptors let him go

Lifestyle ****? Complaints with the wives?

I admit I'm out of the loop here, but I imagine the details are fascinating. :eek1:

During his time in Toronto (probably still now) he is/was dating two twins, the wives of other teammates probably felt uncomfortable with exposing his polygamist lifestyle to the other teammates, their main concerns is his lifestyle would probably entice other players to want to live this lifestyle as well
Kingsway_fan
RealGM

Post#439 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:36 pm

What's going on with griz???

Jv?? Numbers look bad... Bruno barely getting minutes..
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#440 » by Kabookalu » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:56 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:What's going on with griz???

Jv?? Numbers look bad... Bruno barely getting minutes..

They've been using Jonas as just a floor spacer, and the same things that was happening here and repeating there. He'll ask for the ball in the post and get ignored. His defense also hasn't improved. Unfortunate, thought he'd break out.

Bruno they're using as a backup C, which I think is a mistake. He's been bad at catching passes and lobs.

Read on Twitter

Return to Toronto Raptors