ImageImageImageImageImage

Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0

Moderators: Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, 7 Footer, Rhettmatic, niQ, Patman, pbj, Alfred

TorontoRapsFan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,352
And1: 888
Joined: May 11, 2017
       

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#841 » by TorontoRapsFan » Fri Feb 5, 2021 5:22 am

Rust_Cohle wrote:
TorontoRapsFan wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:

He’s not tenth in defensive rating:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/def_rtg_top_10.html

He’s been brutal this season and outside top 150 on PER. He’s having the worst stretch of his career which is understandable as he’s been brutal after being one of the worst playoff performers last season onward.

Even on the RAPTOR rating he only places a below average 122 in the league:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

He’s washed up at this point and that’s fine, he’s old now. But it was a good move for the Raps to let him go despite their frontline issues.


The ratings I talked about are between Cs. Kind of doesn't make sense to compare defensive rating of Cs and guards/forwards. Pretty big difference in their role. PER is box score number dependent. Gasol is valued for his contributions that don't show up so much on the box score. He's playing the C position 20mpg on the number 1 defensive team in the league. Believe it or not, he is contributing to that.


Amongst C's he fares very poorly:

https://www.lineups.com/nba/player-stats/marc-gasol

If you actually watch the Lakers, you'll see he's insanely slow, terrible at guarding the pick and roll and a terrible rebounder at this stage of his career.

Even Laker blogs are turning on him:

https://lakeshowlife.com/2021/01/30/los-angeles-lakers-rumors-marc-gasol-starter/


Why are you using a fantasy points website to show me player stats. Don't just say among C's he fares poorly in x ranking. The stats I'm talking about is a basic DefRTG stat off NBA.com. The few comments I've made on Gasol in this thread were about his defensive contributions. You want to argue against that, then please provide some relevant stats. You can look at his stats in depth if you want off NBA.com.

FYI his pick and roll defense stats is he has defended the roll man 0.7 times per game. And he hasn't defended the ball handler. I don't see how that stat matters at all.
Image
Rust_Cohle
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,699
And1: 1,887
Joined: Mar 03, 2014
   

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#842 » by Rust_Cohle » Fri Feb 5, 2021 8:27 am

TorontoRapsFan wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
TorontoRapsFan wrote:
The ratings I talked about are between Cs. Kind of doesn't make sense to compare defensive rating of Cs and guards/forwards. Pretty big difference in their role. PER is box score number dependent. Gasol is valued for his contributions that don't show up so much on the box score. He's playing the C position 20mpg on the number 1 defensive team in the league. Believe it or not, he is contributing to that.


Amongst C's he fares very poorly:

https://www.lineups.com/nba/player-stats/marc-gasol

If you actually watch the Lakers, you'll see he's insanely slow, terrible at guarding the pick and roll and a terrible rebounder at this stage of his career.

Even Laker blogs are turning on him:

https://lakeshowlife.com/2021/01/30/los-angeles-lakers-rumors-marc-gasol-starter/


Why are you using a fantasy points website to show me player stats. Don't just say among C's he fares poorly in x ranking. The stats I'm talking about is a basic DefRTG stat off NBA.com. The few comments I've made on Gasol in this thread were about his defensive contributions. You want to argue against that, then please provide some relevant stats. You can look at his stats in depth if you want off NBA.com.

FYI his pick and roll defense stats is he has defended the roll man 0.7 times per game. And he hasn't defended the ball handler. I don't see how that stat matters at all.


You had a baseless assumption that Gasol was a solid part of the Lakers being #1 defense in the league. The fantasy stats are still based on actual stats. Not fantasy points.

I already provided you plenty of stats but here’s some more:

https://www.nba.com/stats/team/1610612747/lineups-advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&GroupQuantity=5&CF=MIN*G*25&dir=-1

In the top 9 five man defensive laker combinations Gasol only shows up...3 times, with two of those lineups including lebron, AD, and Caldwell Pope who are fantastic defenders (and better at their position) in their own right. A much bigger part as to why Lakers have an elite defense as oppose to Gasol.



He’s washed up at this point, was painfully mediocre in the Denver game. You are just assuming he’s a big part of the Lakers having great defense when they were elite the year before Gasol joined as well. If anything I expect them to find another Center before the trade deadline to help them out or have Harrell take his spot who has been MUCH better than Gasol.

He plays in a lineup with LeBron, Davis and Caldwell Pope who are all much better defenders than he is for their position. If anything, him being so poor across the board despite having some of the best teammates he’s ever had in LeBron and AD says it all. You just saw a Gasol stat and had an assumption he was doing great, but if you actually watch the Laker games you’ll see that couldn’t be further from the truth.
TorontoRapsFan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,352
And1: 888
Joined: May 11, 2017
       

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#843 » by TorontoRapsFan » Fri Feb 5, 2021 9:27 am

Rust_Cohle wrote:
TorontoRapsFan wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
Amongst C's he fares very poorly:

https://www.lineups.com/nba/player-stats/marc-gasol

If you actually watch the Lakers, you'll see he's insanely slow, terrible at guarding the pick and roll and a terrible rebounder at this stage of his career.

Even Laker blogs are turning on him:

https://lakeshowlife.com/2021/01/30/los-angeles-lakers-rumors-marc-gasol-starter/


Why are you using a fantasy points website to show me player stats. Don't just say among C's he fares poorly in x ranking. The stats I'm talking about is a basic DefRTG stat off NBA.com. The few comments I've made on Gasol in this thread were about his defensive contributions. You want to argue against that, then please provide some relevant stats. You can look at his stats in depth if you want off NBA.com.

FYI his pick and roll defense stats is he has defended the roll man 0.7 times per game. And he hasn't defended the ball handler. I don't see how that stat matters at all.


You had a baseless assumption that Gasol was a solid part of the Lakers being #1 defense in the league. The fantasy stats are still based on actual stats. Not fantasy points.

I already provided you plenty of stats but here’s some more:

https://www.nba.com/stats/team/1610612747/lineups-advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&GroupQuantity=5&CF=MIN*G*25&dir=-1

In the top 9 five man defensive laker combinations Gasol only shows up...3 times, with two of those lineups including lebron, AD, and Caldwell Pope who are fantastic defenders (and better at their position) in their own right. A much bigger part as to why Lakers have an elite defense as oppose to Gasol.



He’s washed up at this point, was painfully mediocre in the Denver game. You are just assuming he’s a big part of the Lakers having great defense when they were elite the year before Gasol joined as well. If anything I expect them to find another Center before the trade deadline to help them out or have Harrell take his spot who has been MUCH better than Gasol.

He plays in a lineup with LeBron, Davis and Caldwell Pope who are all much better defenders than he is for their position. If anything, him being so poor across the board despite having some of the best teammates he’s ever had in LeBron and AD says it all. You just saw a Gasol stat and had an assumption he was doing great, but if you actually watch the Laker games you’ll see that couldn’t be further from the truth.


Wtf is wrong with you. Don't accuse someone of "saw a Gasol stat and had an assumption" when you can't even bother to see past your own eyelids. The stats you yourself have cited with the lineups, is a bunch of lineups that average about 40minutes while the one that stands at close to 5X of each of those lineups is 246 minutes. And that 246 minutes lineup has the second highest netrtg with a defensive rating of 102. All you're doing is pulling some menu and then look at the rank and that's it. Don't accuse someone of inability to actually read statistics when you yourself so clearly have blinders on. I never argued how great Gasol is or whether Raptors made a mistake or anything along those lines. But I'm not stupid enough to look at a major piece to the number 1 defensive team in the league and say oh well that guy is obviously garbage cause he doesn't get points and rebounds.
Image
Rust_Cohle
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,699
And1: 1,887
Joined: Mar 03, 2014
   

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#844 » by Rust_Cohle » Fri Feb 5, 2021 3:23 pm

TorontoRapsFan wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
TorontoRapsFan wrote:
Why are you using a fantasy points website to show me player stats. Don't just say among C's he fares poorly in x ranking. The stats I'm talking about is a basic DefRTG stat off NBA.com. The few comments I've made on Gasol in this thread were about his defensive contributions. You want to argue against that, then please provide some relevant stats. You can look at his stats in depth if you want off NBA.com.

FYI his pick and roll defense stats is he has defended the roll man 0.7 times per game. And he hasn't defended the ball handler. I don't see how that stat matters at all.


You had a baseless assumption that Gasol was a solid part of the Lakers being #1 defense in the league. The fantasy stats are still based on actual stats. Not fantasy points.

I already provided you plenty of stats but here’s some more:

https://www.nba.com/stats/team/1610612747/lineups-advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&GroupQuantity=5&CF=MIN*G*25&dir=-1

In the top 9 five man defensive laker combinations Gasol only shows up...3 times, with two of those lineups including lebron, AD, and Caldwell Pope who are fantastic defenders (and better at their position) in their own right. A much bigger part as to why Lakers have an elite defense as oppose to Gasol.



He’s washed up at this point, was painfully mediocre in the Denver game. You are just assuming he’s a big part of the Lakers having great defense when they were elite the year before Gasol joined as well. If anything I expect them to find another Center before the trade deadline to help them out or have Harrell take his spot who has been MUCH better than Gasol.

He plays in a lineup with LeBron, Davis and Caldwell Pope who are all much better defenders than he is for their position. If anything, him being so poor across the board despite having some of the best teammates he’s ever had in LeBron and AD says it all. You just saw a Gasol stat and had an assumption he was doing great, but if you actually watch the Laker games you’ll see that couldn’t be further from the truth.


Wtf is wrong with you. Don't accuse someone of "saw a Gasol stat and had an assumption" when you can't even bother to see past your own eyelids. The stats you yourself have cited with the lineups, is a bunch of lineups that average about 40minutes while the one that stands at close to 5X of each of those lineups is 246 minutes. And that 246 minutes lineup has the second highest netrtg with a defensive rating of 102. All you're doing is pulling some menu and then look at the rank and that's it. Don't accuse someone of inability to actually read statistics when you yourself so clearly have blinders on. I never argued how great Gasol is or whether Raptors made a mistake or anything along those lines. But I'm not stupid enough to look at a major piece to the number 1 defensive team in the league and say oh well that guy is obviously garbage cause he doesn't get points and rebounds.


Sorry but you literally said:

TorontoRapsFan wrote:
everdiso wrote:update:

Ibaka 25.6mpg, -1.6bpm
Gasol 19.7mpg, +0.7bpm


Gasol's got to have something to do with Lakers being #1 defensive team in the league so far.


So you weren’t even sure, you made it sound like an assumption. And literally made that comment after seeing a single stat in a vacuum. He’s “got to have” absolutely screams “I assume this could be the reason” without being completely sure. So yeah, your sentence is absolutely worded like an assumption. Yet when looking closer at the stats we can see that no, his impact is not nearly as much as his teammates. And now you’ve gone on and called him a “major piece” which is absolutely laughable. He is by no means a major piece, has mediocre numbers, and is protected by being surrounded by genuinely elite defenders. He is washed up at this point. You are in a very small minority (I imagine there are dozens of you out there) that think Gasol is a big reason for them being #1 defensively but again, we literally looked closer into it and no, he’s a part of the team with minor defensive contributions on a team stacked with plenty of good defenders. Using weird filters like “oh, no point in comparing him to defenders at other positions” and comparing with other centres (the weakest least depth position in the entire league right now) doesn’t really say much. He’s surrounded by elite defenders who are helping him far more than he helps them.

So yeah, on top of all of this, when you actually watch the Laker games, it is clear as day he’s having his worst season ever. The only thing he has done well is his passing, but he’s a terrible rebounder, slow on rotations and can barely get 20 minutes a game. He’s not even significant enough for their best defensive lineups. I mentioned his other stats as being down across the board to show his overall decline, you were silly enough to take one stat a user posted and try to make a narrative out of it with “Gasol has GOT to have something to do with it” and now backpedaling on your assumption based on a single stat.

I have nothing against Gasol, an amazing player in his day but there’s a reason Lakers will be looking for additional big man help, and don’t be surprised that he may eventually lose his starting spot. His defensive numbers are absolutely bumped up by being surrounded by far better defenders than he is at this stage of his career. He’s old, no one defeats Father Time. He’s been on a bad downward slope since being literally one of the worst players in the entire playoffs last season. It is what it is.
TorontoRapsFan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,352
And1: 888
Joined: May 11, 2017
       

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#845 » by TorontoRapsFan » Fri Feb 5, 2021 9:48 pm

Rust_Cohle wrote:
TorontoRapsFan wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
You had a baseless assumption that Gasol was a solid part of the Lakers being #1 defense in the league. The fantasy stats are still based on actual stats. Not fantasy points.

I already provided you plenty of stats but here’s some more:

https://www.nba.com/stats/team/1610612747/lineups-advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&GroupQuantity=5&CF=MIN*G*25&dir=-1

In the top 9 five man defensive laker combinations Gasol only shows up...3 times, with two of those lineups including lebron, AD, and Caldwell Pope who are fantastic defenders (and better at their position) in their own right. A much bigger part as to why Lakers have an elite defense as oppose to Gasol.



He’s washed up at this point, was painfully mediocre in the Denver game. You are just assuming he’s a big part of the Lakers having great defense when they were elite the year before Gasol joined as well. If anything I expect them to find another Center before the trade deadline to help them out or have Harrell take his spot who has been MUCH better than Gasol.

He plays in a lineup with LeBron, Davis and Caldwell Pope who are all much better defenders than he is for their position. If anything, him being so poor across the board despite having some of the best teammates he’s ever had in LeBron and AD says it all. You just saw a Gasol stat and had an assumption he was doing great, but if you actually watch the Laker games you’ll see that couldn’t be further from the truth.


Wtf is wrong with you. Don't accuse someone of "saw a Gasol stat and had an assumption" when you can't even bother to see past your own eyelids. The stats you yourself have cited with the lineups, is a bunch of lineups that average about 40minutes while the one that stands at close to 5X of each of those lineups is 246 minutes. And that 246 minutes lineup has the second highest netrtg with a defensive rating of 102. All you're doing is pulling some menu and then look at the rank and that's it. Don't accuse someone of inability to actually read statistics when you yourself so clearly have blinders on. I never argued how great Gasol is or whether Raptors made a mistake or anything along those lines. But I'm not stupid enough to look at a major piece to the number 1 defensive team in the league and say oh well that guy is obviously garbage cause he doesn't get points and rebounds.


Sorry but you literally said:

TorontoRapsFan wrote:
everdiso wrote:update:

Ibaka 25.6mpg, -1.6bpm
Gasol 19.7mpg, +0.7bpm


Gasol's got to have something to do with Lakers being #1 defensive team in the league so far.


So you weren’t even sure, you made it sound like an assumption. And literally made that comment after seeing a single stat in a vacuum. He’s “got to have” absolutely screams “I assume this could be the reason” without being completely sure. So yeah, your sentence is absolutely worded like an assumption. Yet when looking closer at the stats we can see that no, his impact is not nearly as much as his teammates. And now you’ve gone on and called him a “major piece” which is absolutely laughable. He is by no means a major piece, has mediocre numbers, and is protected by being surrounded by genuinely elite defenders. He is washed up at this point. You are in a very small minority (I imagine there are dozens of you out there) that think Gasol is a big reason for them being #1 defensively but again, we literally looked closer into it and no, he’s a part of the team with minor defensive contributions on a team stacked with plenty of good defenders. Using weird filters like “oh, no point in comparing him to defenders at other positions” and comparing with other centres (the weakest least depth position in the entire league right now) doesn’t really say much. He’s surrounded by elite defenders who are helping him far more than he helps them.

So yeah, on top of all of this, when you actually watch the Laker games, it is clear as day he’s having his worst season ever. The only thing he has done well is his passing, but he’s a terrible rebounder, slow on rotations and can barely get 20 minutes a game. He’s not even significant enough for their best defensive lineups. I mentioned his other stats as being down across the board to show his overall decline, you were silly enough to take one stat a user posted and try to make a narrative out of it with “Gasol has GOT to have something to do with it” and now backpedaling on your assumption based on a single stat.

I have nothing against Gasol, an amazing player in his day but there’s a reason Lakers will be looking for additional big man help, and don’t be surprised that he may eventually lose his starting spot. His defensive numbers are absolutely bumped up by being surrounded by far better defenders than he is at this stage of his career. He’s old, no one defeats Father Time. He’s been on a bad downward slope since being literally one of the worst players in the entire playoffs last season. It is what it is.


I didn't think he was a major piece either until you pulled out the lineups stat and I saw lineup 246 total minutes has Gasol in it. The lineup after that with the most minutes is 66. Excuse me for seeing those numbers and saying 'major'. Call it part of the regular rotation of a team with the number 1 defense in the league. Whatever. You say he's not significant enough for their best defensive lineup but he is one of 5 of a lineup that has by far the most minutes. It's obvious we are going to have to agree to disagree here.
Image
Rust_Cohle
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,699
And1: 1,887
Joined: Mar 03, 2014
   

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#846 » by Rust_Cohle » Fri Feb 5, 2021 9:58 pm

TorontoRapsFan wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
TorontoRapsFan wrote:
Wtf is wrong with you. Don't accuse someone of "saw a Gasol stat and had an assumption" when you can't even bother to see past your own eyelids. The stats you yourself have cited with the lineups, is a bunch of lineups that average about 40minutes while the one that stands at close to 5X of each of those lineups is 246 minutes. And that 246 minutes lineup has the second highest netrtg with a defensive rating of 102. All you're doing is pulling some menu and then look at the rank and that's it. Don't accuse someone of inability to actually read statistics when you yourself so clearly have blinders on. I never argued how great Gasol is or whether Raptors made a mistake or anything along those lines. But I'm not stupid enough to look at a major piece to the number 1 defensive team in the league and say oh well that guy is obviously garbage cause he doesn't get points and rebounds.


Sorry but you literally said:

TorontoRapsFan wrote:
Gasol's got to have something to do with Lakers being #1 defensive team in the league so far.


So you weren’t even sure, you made it sound like an assumption. And literally made that comment after seeing a single stat in a vacuum. He’s “got to have” absolutely screams “I assume this could be the reason” without being completely sure. So yeah, your sentence is absolutely worded like an assumption. Yet when looking closer at the stats we can see that no, his impact is not nearly as much as his teammates. And now you’ve gone on and called him a “major piece” which is absolutely laughable. He is by no means a major piece, has mediocre numbers, and is protected by being surrounded by genuinely elite defenders. He is washed up at this point. You are in a very small minority (I imagine there are dozens of you out there) that think Gasol is a big reason for them being #1 defensively but again, we literally looked closer into it and no, he’s a part of the team with minor defensive contributions on a team stacked with plenty of good defenders. Using weird filters like “oh, no point in comparing him to defenders at other positions” and comparing with other centres (the weakest least depth position in the entire league right now) doesn’t really say much. He’s surrounded by elite defenders who are helping him far more than he helps them.

So yeah, on top of all of this, when you actually watch the Laker games, it is clear as day he’s having his worst season ever. The only thing he has done well is his passing, but he’s a terrible rebounder, slow on rotations and can barely get 20 minutes a game. He’s not even significant enough for their best defensive lineups. I mentioned his other stats as being down across the board to show his overall decline, you were silly enough to take one stat a user posted and try to make a narrative out of it with “Gasol has GOT to have something to do with it” and now backpedaling on your assumption based on a single stat.

I have nothing against Gasol, an amazing player in his day but there’s a reason Lakers will be looking for additional big man help, and don’t be surprised that he may eventually lose his starting spot. His defensive numbers are absolutely bumped up by being surrounded by far better defenders than he is at this stage of his career. He’s old, no one defeats Father Time. He’s been on a bad downward slope since being literally one of the worst players in the entire playoffs last season. It is what it is.


I didn't think he was a major piece either until you pulled out the lineups stat and I saw lineup 246 total minutes has Gasol in it. The lineup after that with the most minutes is 66. Excuse me for seeing those numbers and saying 'major'. Call it part of the regular rotation of a team with the number 1 defense in the league. Whatever. You say he's not significant enough for their best defensive lineup but he is one of 5 of a lineup that has by far the most minutes. It's obvious we are going to have to agree to disagree here.


Fair enough, I appreciate a good debate. Good luck against the Nets tonight
User avatar
Kevin Willis
RealGM
Posts: 10,524
And1: 6,486
Joined: Apr 17, 2009
       

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#847 » by Kevin Willis » Sun Feb 7, 2021 10:38 pm

Kawhii looks hurt again. At the end of the Sacramento game he was limping off the court and looked exhausted.
Free Jalen Harris.
Peja Stojakovic
Starter
Posts: 2,099
And1: 2,837
Joined: Nov 17, 2014
 

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#848 » by Peja Stojakovic » Mon Feb 8, 2021 10:41 am

masai should seriously give amir johnson a call. he's a year younger than baynes
User avatar
kwajo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,236
And1: 11,136
Joined: Apr 29, 2015
Location: Floating on the Bay of Fundy
     

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#849 » by kwajo » Mon Feb 8, 2021 1:53 pm

Peja Stojakovic wrote:masai should seriously give amir johnson a call. he's a year younger than baynes


That’s crazy, I know he came to the league straight out of high school but he was drafted like 16 years ago and he’s only 33 :o Seems like forever ago that he came to the Raps.
”I’m just a man, standing in front of a Raptor, asking them to love me.”
Kingsway_fan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,367
And1: 4,259
Joined: May 25, 2016
 

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#850 » by Kingsway_fan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:35 pm

Jv beasting... 57 percent shooting... like 16 pts and 12 rebs, in 27 minutes per game ..Grizzlies have him under awesome contract also...

One of the best team deals in the NBA...

Imagine our team with this stud...
User avatar
hsb
RealGM
Posts: 17,975
And1: 15,143
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
       

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#851 » by hsb » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:28 am

JV is on fire lately. Some really nice games from former Raptors centers tonight, and some not so good ones from Bismack and Gasol.

JV: 25 points (11/14 shooting), 12 rebounds, 2 assists.
Ibaka: 21 points (9/14 shooting), 9 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 blocks.
Poeltl: 8 points (3/7 shooting), 12 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steals, 4 blocks.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
Kingsway_fan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,367
And1: 4,259
Joined: May 25, 2016
 

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#852 » by Kingsway_fan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:11 am

Letting ibaka go when there was no backup plan was insane.... we are now paying the price
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 56,607
And1: 21,024
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#853 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:Jv beasting... 57 percent shooting... like 16 pts and 12 rebs, in 27 minutes per game ..Grizzlies have him under awesome contract also...

One of the best team deals in the NBA...

Imagine our team with this stud...


I can imagine not winning a title because his defence is significantly worse than Gasol’s was that year.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
User avatar
Courtside
RealGM
Posts: 16,712
And1: 9,375
Joined: Jul 25, 2002

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#854 » by Courtside » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:44 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:Jv beasting... 57 percent shooting... like 16 pts and 12 rebs, in 27 minutes per game ..Grizzlies have him under awesome contract also...

One of the best team deals in the NBA...

Imagine our team with this stud...


I can imagine not winning a title because his defence is significantly worse than Gasol’s was that year.


For that season, absolutely. I think filling the hole going forward is a little different - and while some of JV's defensive issues still exist - he's probably a better choice than many of the proposed players. Drummond especially.
RonaldArtest
General Manager
Posts: 9,778
And1: 12,130
Joined: Jul 25, 2008

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#855 » by RonaldArtest » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:38 am

Kingsway_fan wrote:Letting ibaka go when there was no backup plan was insane.... we are now paying the price

Pretty sure the plan was always Giannis. Fans here crucify Masai for not bringing back Serge, but if the Greek doesn’t sign the supermax and becomes a FA, the same fans would be losing their minds that Ibaka is cutting into our cap space and possibly preventing us from signing him. There’s always the argument that you could trade and adjust the roster as needed to make room, but at that point you’re dealing at a disadvantage. I trust Masai felt he had a decent enough chance with Giannis that he “sacrificed” this season in order to preserve as much cap room as possible. In hindsight it obviously didn’t work out. And while Serge would’ve certainly helped this current roster, I like a GM making big swing moves when the time is right. It didn’t work out this time for Masai, but to add Giannis to the core of OG-Pascal-FVV was worth the chance.
Chandan
General Manager
Posts: 9,270
And1: 12,644
Joined: Nov 23, 2017
 

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#856 » by Chandan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:11 am

How great would JV look right now with this team? 17/16 in a win against Clippers.
Image
TRex520
Senior
Posts: 594
And1: 345
Joined: Feb 20, 2013

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#857 » by TRex520 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:32 am

DeMar, first game back since his dad's death, scored 32 with 11 assists. He led Spurs back to winning column again. He is the perfect piece for our team right now.
Kingsway_fan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,367
And1: 4,259
Joined: May 25, 2016
 

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#858 » by Kingsway_fan » Tue Mar 2, 2021 6:48 am

TRex520 wrote:DeMar, first game back since his dad's death, scored 32 with 11 assists. He led Spurs back to winning column again. He is the perfect piece for our team right now.


Lol.. not unless he can play centre
...
TRex520
Senior
Posts: 594
And1: 345
Joined: Feb 20, 2013

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#859 » by TRex520 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 12:50 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:
TRex520 wrote:DeMar, first game back since his dad's death, scored 32 with 11 assists. He led Spurs back to winning column again. He is the perfect piece for our team right now.


Lol.. not unless he can play centre
...

Modern NBA only needs a small ball 5, stretch the floor and play in the perimeter. Demar can push OG to 4 and Pascal to 5. We also have Boucher.

We don't need a 5 like Lens or JV.
patricbrown1912
Ballboy
Posts: 1
And1: 0
Joined: Feb 11, 2021

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#860 » by patricbrown1912 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 6:35 pm

Jakob with a nice game

Return to Toronto Raptors