ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#2001 » by Roddy B for 3 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:16 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:Would the Raptors do Allen Crabbe (expiring 18M) + Brooklyn's 1st they traded to Atlanta (lottory protected) for Serge Ibaka?

I don't think thats a bad deal, In a vacuum matching expiring and a non-lottery first, is probably Ibakas value.

I do think they are far more likely to keep Gasol and keep Ibaka as a long term starter. I don't think it makes sense to trade both of them and given Gasols age plus greater trade value, it makes more sense to keep Ibaka.

What about the same offer for Gasol?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#2003 » by HeadtopChunes » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:27 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:Would the Raptors do Allen Crabbe (expiring 18M) + Brooklyn's 1st they traded to Atlanta (lottory protected) for Serge Ibaka?

I don't think thats a bad deal, In a vacuum matching expiring and a non-lottery first, is probably Ibakas value.

I do think they are far more likely to keep Gasol and keep Ibaka as a long term starter. I don't think it makes sense to trade both of them and given Gasols age plus greater trade value, it makes more sense to keep Ibaka.

What about the same offer for Gasol?

i think id want an additional asset for Gasol
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,163

Post#2004 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:36 pm

Want want want want want
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#2005 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:44 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:

Want want want want want

OG + Boucher + Ibaka + 2 picks

Oladipo + Sabonis
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,715

Post#2006 » by Ell Curry » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:25 pm

I'm generally wary of scoring 5s who aren't great rim protectors or switchers but OG played at Indiana and would give them a wing/forward who can defend which they need with Lamb and Warren not being that type of player at all. If Indy struggle to cohere with all their new players and we blow it up a deal around those 2 could make sense. Maybe we send Indy what we get back for a Gasol or Ibaka trade or part of the Lowry return?

From a roster building point of view though, I don't think it's a coincidence that we fixed the center position last before winning a title. It's so hard to find good perimeter players, but guys like Kyle O'Quinn, Harry Giles, Khem Birch, Gorgui Dieng and Robert Williams are all 3rd string centers at the moment and I'd feel fine about any of them playing 15 minutes a night as a backup.

If you assume we're building up the next team and not just going for it this year, the question is if a frontcourt of:

Center who is our 20201st Rounder or a FreeAgent
Siakam
OG

is better than a frontcourt of:

Sabonis
Siakam
SmallForward X who is our 20201st Rounder or a FreeAgent

and it's not inconceivable that Masai prefers the former.
Where's the D?
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#2007 » by Red_Claw » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:24 am

Need to pick up Alfonzo Mckinnie ASAP! His game didn't appeal to me when he was with the Raptors but that guy can play and he proved it in Golden State.

Im more confident in him then Stanley Johnson at this point.
TDotAllStar
Sophomore
And1: 256

Post#2008 » by TDotAllStar » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:53 am

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

Want want want want want

OG + Boucher + Ibaka + 2 picks

Oladipo + Sabonis

I think this trade is only doable if Pacers are concerned that Oladipo doesn’t return to form. Even still I don’t think Masai wants to give up 2 FRP at this point. I do love this idea, just don’t see it working realistically.
bootsythornton
Sixth Man
And1: 1,727

Post#2009 » by bootsythornton » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:15 am

depth move.

Malcolm Miller for Shabazz Napier

Lowry - Napier
FVV - Powell
OG - SJ
Siakam - RHJ
Gasol - Ibaka

Boucher, Payne, Thomas, Davis round out the roster
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,029

Post#2010 » by NotMyKawhi » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:31 am

we don't need him and could have had him

if the pacers are trading him that means he's asking for way too much money.
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,029

Post#2011 » by NotMyKawhi » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:34 am

Red_Claw wrote:

If im New Orleans, i see what this team can do this year. The entire young core will be there next year minus Ingram who im sure they will re-sign.

Though id love to get a FRP from them, there's no reason to pick up an expiring contract unless they end up in the top 3 in the west with a real chance at a championship which is unlikely this year.

not true. small markets will trade for guys looking to re-sign them bc it's hard for them to attract free agents. They could pay ibaka more than anyone in the off-season and it won't hurt their long term financial situation
Sakkreth
Starter
And1: 3,404

Post#2012 » by Sakkreth » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:54 pm

He's the ultimate fit with Siakam.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#2013 » by Jstock12 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:47 pm

Sakkreth wrote:He's the ultimate fit with Siakam.

Who are you talking about? Sabonis? If that's the case, I do not really agree. They might be a pretty good fit, but 'ultimate' is really pushing it, since neither one of them is a shot-blocker. And a front-court like that would suffer defensively against quite a few teams with elite guards. Offensively however, they might be pretty dominant.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2014 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
Sakkreth wrote:He's the ultimate fit with Siakam.

Who are you talking about? Sabonis? If that's the case, I do not really agree. They might be a pretty good fit, but 'ultimate' is really pushing it, since neither one of them is a shot-blocker. And a front-court like that would suffer defensively against quite a few teams with elite guards. Offensively however, they might be pretty dominant.

Ultimate fit with Pascal is probably Marc. Unfortunately he is getting up there in age.
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,367

Post#2015 » by Saul Goodman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:56 pm

Would be perfect to fit with Pascal. Would we trade them OG?
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
twoheadedboy
Junior
And1: 635

Post#2016 » by twoheadedboy » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:04 pm

I think Sabonis is a nice piece, but from what I remember he's not a great defender so I'm not crazy about his fit with the team. Also not sure what kind of payday he's looking for, but for me there are other players I'd rather the Raptors risk overpaying.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2017 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:08 pm

twoheadedboy wrote:I think Sabonis is a nice piece, but from what I remember he's not a great defender so I'm not crazy about his fit with the team. Also not sure what kind of payday he's looking for, but for me there are other players I'd rather the Raptors risk overpaying.

Apparently he’s asking for around 5 years/120M

Is it me or does Domas remind y’all of a smaller JV?
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#2018 » by Jstock12 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:21 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
twoheadedboy wrote:I think Sabonis is a nice piece, but from what I remember he's not a great defender so I'm not crazy about his fit with the team. Also not sure what kind of payday he's looking for, but for me there are other players I'd rather the Raptors risk overpaying.

I don't think so. Sabonis is much more athletic than JV and is a much superior passer (probably in the 90th percentile of big men in that aspect). However, JV is a far superior rim-protector. Even last season JV had one of the best DFG% at rim in the whole league, while Sabonis struggles in that aspect. The only areas where they are really similar is rebounding and scoring around the rim.
Sakkreth
Starter
And1: 3,404

Post#2019 » by Sakkreth » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:26 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:

Sabonis playmaking is at the level that you can run your offense through him, that's his main advantage over JV, he's also quicker and while not great he can hold his own defensively on the perimeter. Main disadvantage is that he has small wingspan, he does contest shots, but is not a shot blocker. Positionally he's good, but versus some opponents that's just not enough. But some similarities are there for sure, like rebounding or that both are capable to hit an outside shot, but would rather feast on the inside.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#2020 » by Dalek » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:30 pm

Sakkreth wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

Sabonis playmaking is at the level that you can run your offense through him, that's his main advantage over JV, he's also quicker and while not great he can hold his own defensively on the perimeter. Main disadvantage is that he has small wingspan, he does contest shots, but is not a shot blocker. Positionally he's good, but versus some opponents that's just not enough. But some similarities are there for sure, like rebounding or that both are capable to hit an outside shot, but would rather feast on the inside.

I am sorry but the only big that Toronto should be pursuing is Jakob Poeltl. Bring back Jak and Skillz...

Return to Toronto Raptors