ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers Hire Phil Handy

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,649

Re: Lakers Hire Phil Handy 

Post#181 » by hype_2004 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:41 am

Mckechine is under contract unless Ballmer is gonna pay a billion dollars in exchange for a right to terminate his contract, he will stay as a Raptors.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,287

Post#182 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:47 am

akiman911 wrote:I called this one a while ago. This guy only coaches championship teams

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Handy endeared himself to the fanbase when he called out the unbelievable unfair treatment the Raps get from the refs, early on in the Green Room podcast. He said he'd never seen anything like it.

As an aside to that, sadly Kawhi is going to be even better next year when he is getting the superstar calls that he played without this season.

Anyway, losing Handy makes it feel like we are going back to second class, also ran status.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
TheRealDeal
RealGM
And1: 11,813

Post#183 » by TheRealDeal » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:00 am

Seems like he had a great time in TO, obviously. Hope he can share that with some of the star players he trains
maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,728

Post#184 » by maternal85 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:55 am

So he's going from a player develolment to an official assistant coach? It sucks we've lost players and coaches we've always dreamed of having.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,690

Post#185 » by Basketball_Jones » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:58 am

We’re in the dark ages now
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Sidthekid87
Sixth Man
And1: 2,973

Post#186 » by Sidthekid87 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:51 am

Adam Silver is a bitch.
raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,280

Post#187 » by raptorstime » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:29 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:We’re in the dark ages now

Hello darkness we meet again
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,485

Post#188 » by YelloC » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:36 am

raptorstime wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:We’re in the dark ages now

Hello darkness we meet again

A little bit of Dankness will help you see through the Darkness. :meditate:
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,254

Post#189 » by SurgeIblocka » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:39 am

Phil is a great guy but he is not that big a loss and here is why:

- Fred had already shown he was a great backup before Phil arrived. Phil never brought great improvement to Fred’s game

- OG had a less productive year than the year before. So Phil didn’t really develop his game

- Norm has been the same and has had better playoff series before Phil arrived

- Lowry, Gasol, Ibaka vets who didn’t add anything to their game by having Phil coach them

- the only player who showed massive improvement was Pascal. He showed this at Rico Hines Camp before Phil arrived so you can’t really credit Phil for his improvement.

Our organization has been great at developing our lower drafted players for the past 6 years.

We will absolutely be fine going forward without Phil Handy.

Wish him all the best in LA.
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,485

Post#190 » by YelloC » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:56 am

Is Handy officially the first branch of the Nick Nurse coaching tree?
Would Handy have to assume Head Coaching duties before the end of the year?
ChimRichalds
Junior
And1: 679

Post#191 » by ChimRichalds » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:22 am

Lol everyone thinking the sky is falling because one assistant coach leaves. He was only here for a year, and the Raptors had already developed Lowry from a journeyman backup to a perennial all star, Siakam into the MIP, VanVleet into one of the best backup PGs in the league, Powell into a contributor, etc...

Plus any time I ever heard the guy talk it was just bull cookie cutter wisdom like “let it rip”. If you think NBA players need to be reminded to shoot with confidence and that had any impact whatsoever you’re a loon.

And after game 6 against the Bucks he was celebrating and yelling about how he himself was going to his fifth straight finals, instead of celebrating the team making it to their first.
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#192 » by NPZ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:36 pm

Sidthekid87 wrote:Adam Silver is a bitch.

Yep. A lot of people are under the delusion that he's something different than Stern, but he was Stern's stooge for years. He knows everything he knows from David Stern. Silver got a good bump for getting rid of Sterling, but that was an absolute no-brainer and he and Stern let Sterling act like Trump for years, watching dudes shower and commenting on their genetics, etc. Silver also looks like Nosferatu. He needs to eat Italian for a year. He's gaunt as a muh fugga.

But anyway, interesting pickup by the Lakers. They're pushing all the chips in. We gotta win the title and retain AD. Cmon!, LET'S GO! We got this! We got a coach named Phil again. Team of destiny. F Kawhi.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
NPZ
Analyst

Post#193 » by NPZ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Westside Gunn wrote:can we somehow bring in messina

Not without signing Loggins. They're represented by Rich Paul.

NPZ
Analyst

Post#194 » by NPZ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Metallikid wrote:
Actually, crap posters like you who love **** on the Raps are exactly what brings this place down.

Regardless, I'm sure I won't be the last person to put you on ignore.

Your posts are metal, Metallikid. I'm not sure what genre, maybe thrash.

Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#195 » by Metallikid » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:48 pm

NPZ wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Actually, crap posters like you who love **** on the Raps are exactly what brings this place down.

Regardless, I'm sure I won't be the last person to put you on ignore.

Your posts are metal, Metallikid. I'm not sure what genre, maybe thrash.

Yes
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,490

Post#196 » by Bruin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:50 pm

Any chance we can replace him with Rico Hines? He’d help our development so much
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,655

Post#197 » by XxIronChainzxX » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:00 pm

ChimRichalds wrote:Lol everyone thinking the sky is falling because one assistant coach leaves. He was only here for a year, and the Raptors had already developed Lowry from a journeyman backup to a perennial all star, Siakam into the MIP, VanVleet into one of the best backup PGs in the league, Powell into a contributor, etc...

Plus any time I ever heard the guy talk it was just bull cookie cutter wisdom like “let it rip”. If you think NBA players need to be reminded to shoot with confidence and that had any impact whatsoever you’re a loon.

And after game 6 against the Bucks he was celebrating and yelling about how he himself was going to his fifth straight finals, instead of celebrating the team making it to their first.

What's hilarious to me is that people absolutely trashed him when we hired him in the first place. People weren't exactly big fans. It wasn't IIRC like with Nurse vs. Bud where people argued about it - it was full stop a case of people being perplexed and talking smack about how bad the Cavs were at developing talent.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 20,996

Post#198 » by Chandan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:18 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
ChimRichalds wrote:Lol everyone thinking the sky is falling because one assistant coach leaves. He was only here for a year, and the Raptors had already developed Lowry from a journeyman backup to a perennial all star, Siakam into the MIP, VanVleet into one of the best backup PGs in the league, Powell into a contributor, etc...

What's hilarious to me is that people absolutely trashed him when we hired him in the first place. People weren't exactly big fans. It wasn't IIRC like with Nurse vs. Bud where people argued about it - it was full stop a case of people being perplexed and talking smack about how bad the Cavs were at developing talent.

the funny part in this is that no one here knows what the hell these coaches does or what makes them special/good/better than the other. it's exactly the same as the way many here for bringing up Rico Hines like he's some sort of miracle worker or has some secret development knowledge, but in reality, pascal could have totally made the jump and clicked without him. The only thing I can give him credit for is gathering a special class of players in the summer for scrimmage and giving pascal exposure to how the truly elite operates. other than that, we dont know what he teaches, what are his workouts, what are his methods... etc.

Return to Toronto Raptors