ImageImageImageImageImage

Let’s find a trade partner for Norman S. Powell (ESQ)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

JD143726
Senior
And1: 1,163

Let’s find a trade partner for Norman S. Powell (ESQ) 

Post#1 » by JD143726 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:29 pm

I like the guy but he sucks. Let’s face facts. He’s too
short, doesn’t shoot it well, isn’t long enough on defence. Drifts in and out of games. And I’m really tired of looking at his salary on our books for another 3 years.

Trade ideas please to get him out of here!

It’s too bad GSW is hard capped, his salary would fit into their trade exception. Charlotte?
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Re: Let’s find a trade partner for Norman S. Powell (ESQ) 

Post#2 » by Boogie! » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:31 pm

Lock and ban.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
BBallInSight
Sixth Man
And1: 1,337

Post#3 » by BBallInSight » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:31 pm

I agree.
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,851

Post#4 » by VancouverRaps » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:33 pm

Philly should pick him up

He’s a Buck killer
We the Champs
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,586

Post#5 » by Bruin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:34 pm

“Isn’t long enough on defence”

6’11” wingspan isn’t long enough for you?
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,106

Post#6 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:42 pm

Really bad analysis. His length is fine, height is essentially irrelevant, and you ignore his true flaws which is playmaking and basic feel for the game.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,946

Post#7 » by refshateRaps » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:43 pm

How dare you dis General Powell? Our tank commander in charge
witnessraps
RealGM
And1: 4,656

Post#8 » by witnessraps » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:46 pm

Norm has a chance to do what I thought he might do after we traded ross. Hopefully the steady guaranteed minutes get him there. He did outplay green for a good chunk of the playoffs. He needs to learn to make better decisions when putting his head down and driving. Defensively we know he's good. My concern is we don't have guys that can shoot a tough contested shot over a bigger defender like kawhi and demar have done. I definitely expect a much more 3s and layups Houston style this year
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,674

Post#9 » by VanWest82 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:49 pm

Norm is going to have to win our starting SG spot and play well to get his value up to a point where teams want to trade for him without us having to attach draft picks. Until that happens you keep him. If/when that happens you might also decide you'd rather keep him. Let's not be so quick to jettison our players who are under contract for anything less than the right deal.
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#10 » by Matty » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:55 pm

48% overall and 40% from the 3 point line is considered bad shooting now?

Lock it up Mods
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,561

Post#11 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:00 am

Matty wrote:48% overall and 40% from the 3 point line is considered bad shooting now?

Lock it up Mods

Is that the % he out up last year

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Adopt_Me_Masai
Sophomore
And1: 306

Post#12 » by Adopt_Me_Masai » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:07 am

I like including him in a potential Gasol trade to Boston.

Something like: Gasol (1 yr/25.6) + Powell (3 yr/10.1) FOR Hayward (2 yr/32.7) + Kanter (2yr/4.8) + 2020 FRP (BOS or MIL more favourable) + 2020 ATL SRP

I think considering Boston seems like they don't want to rebuild and with Giannis/Lopez and Embiid/Horford in the East, Enes Kanter as their best Center will not cut it. Gasol on an expiring deal to me should be worth a First Round Pick. Hayward at 2 years and like $67 million is a negative value asset, so we should at least be able to dump Powell who has 3 years left. Although Powell is a much smaller number, he does count against our 2021-2022 Cap while Hayward would be expiring, so that's better if we are chasing Giannis and/or Beal. Plus we'd get Atlanta's SRP.

I don't think the Memphis FRP is reasonable/realistic unfortunately, but taking the more favourable of Boston/Mil and Atlanta's second rounder (maybe 40th overall) isn't a bad asset haul.

I guess the question is if one of Hayward or OG can play the 2?

Start line-up: Lowry/Hayward/OG/Siakam/Ibaka
Bench: FVV/McCaw/Stanley J/RHJ/Kanter
Scrubs/905: Payne/Davis/Thomas/Boucher/Hernandez/Konate/Robinson

Idk first-time poster here, be nice.
Rational
Freshman
And1: 111

Post#13 » by Rational » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:10 am

Code: Select all

Net Rating ECF + Finals
-----------------------------
Powell, Norman    16.2
VanVleet, Fred       8.6
Ibaka, Serge       5.3
Siakam, Pascal       0.6
Leonard, Kawhi    -2.2
Lowry, Kyle       -3.4
Green, Danny       -3.7
Gasol, Marc       -7.0
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,803

Post#14 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:27 am

Norm is our best wing right now. He is the last guy we should be trading unless it leads to an upgrade at that position lol.
RyderMike
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,799

Post#15 » by RyderMike » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:34 am

Paul George stopper
[img][/img]
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#16 » by Metallikid » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:47 am

Adopt_Me_Masai wrote:I like including him in a potential Gasol trade to Boston.

Something like: Gasol (1 yr/25.6) + Powell (3 yr/10.1) FOR Hayward (2 yr/32.7) + Kanter (2yr/4.8) + 2020 FRP (BOS or MIL more favourable) + 2020 ATL SRP

I think considering Boston seems like they don't want to rebuild and with Giannis/Lopez and Embiid/Horford in the East, Enes Kanter as their best Center will not cut it. Gasol on an expiring deal to me should be worth a First Round Pick. Hayward at 2 years and like $67 million is a negative value asset, so we should at least be able to dump Powell who has 3 years left. Although Powell is a much smaller number, he does count against our 2021-2022 Cap while Hayward would be expiring, so that's better if we are chasing Giannis and/or Beal. Plus we'd get Atlanta's SRP.

I don't think the Memphis FRP is reasonable/realistic unfortunately, but taking the more favourable of Boston/Mil and Atlanta's second rounder (maybe 40th overall) isn't a bad asset haul.

I guess the question is if one of Hayward or OG can play the 2?

Start line-up: Lowry/Hayward/OG/Siakam/Ibaka
Bench: FVV/McCaw/Stanley J/RHJ/Kanter
Scrubs/905: Payne/Davis/Thomas/Boucher/Hernandez/Konate/Robinson

Idk first-time poster here, be nice.

Hayward isn't worth tying up our money in. Also, it's very rare that we would trade good players within our division without an incredible return. That's part of why I think the Bucks were insane to give Brogdan to the Pacers like they did.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,692

Post#17 » by Zeno » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:49 am

I was thinking maybe Norm for Dennis Schoder. The difference in their salaries is still within the trade rules but also gets OKC out of the tax. Schoder has only two years left on his deal. We could go two point guard all day, every day. More capspace 2021.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#18 » by Boogie! » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:52 am

Zeno wrote:I was thinking maybe Norm for Dennis Schoder. The difference in their salaries is still within the trade rules but also gets OKC out of the tax. Schoder has only two years left on his deal. We could go two point guard all day, every day. More capspace 2021.

Lmao Powell is better than Schroeder.

This board thinks og is a future star and Powell is a scrub. Disappointing.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Post#19 » by lebron stopper » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:54 am

Rational wrote:

Net Rating ECF + Finals
-----------------------------
Powell, Norman    16.2
VanVleet, Fred       8.6
Ibaka, Serge       5.3
Siakam, Pascal       0.6
Leonard, Kawhi    -2.2
Lowry, Kyle       -3.4
Green, Danny       -3.7
Gasol, Marc       -7.0

I'd love to know where you got these numbers from. However, I used pbpstats to find the net ratings on and off (per 100 possessions) for those players during that time frame (ECF + Finals) and I got numbers that are quite similar. Small sample size and all, but really interesting stuff.

PLAYER      NETRTG ON   NETRTG OFF   ON-OFF
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Powell      13.01      -2.32      15.33
VanVleet   6.85      -2.89      9.74
Ibaka      5.75      0.97      4.78
Leonard      3.06      2.55      0.51
Siakam      2.64      4.01      -1.37
Green      1.03      5.14      -4.11
Lowry      1.77      6.82      -5.05
Gasol      0.69      6.48      -5.79

Boogie! wrote:
Zeno wrote:I was thinking maybe Norm for Dennis Schoder. The difference in their salaries is still within the trade rules but also gets OKC out of the tax. Schoder has only two years left on his deal. We could go two point guard all day, every day. More capspace 2021.

Lmao Powell is better than Schroeder.

This board thinks og is a future star and Powell is a scrub. Disappointing.

Dennis Schroder is an awful, awful player. I wouldn't touch him with a thousand-foot pole, the fact that OKC gave up a first round pick for him is hilarious (and another black mark on Presti's overall mediocre GMing record).

I don't think this board realizes what the Raptors have in Powell. Hell, I'm not even sure that the Raptors organization themselves know what they have in Powell, with they way they've used him for the last few years.
Adopt_Me_Masai
Sophomore
And1: 306

Post#20 » by Adopt_Me_Masai » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:11 am

Metallikid wrote:Hayward isn't worth tying up our money in. Also, it's very rare that we would trade good players within our division without an incredible return. That's part of why I think the Bucks were insane to give Brogdan to the Pacers like they did.

I don't think the division thing is relevant at all in this case, one of the most overrated sports trade tropes in general. Smart GMs get the best return, period. (You could very well argue we could get a better return than the proposed, but nothing to do with division). I think that concern is more relevant in baseball where you play a division rival 19 times/year.

In fairness, I somewhat agree with you re: the Brogdon trade, but that's more because A) Milwaukee is in a title window now and B) Indiana is somewhat a threat and Brogdon is good enough to hurt them. In the Raptors-Celtics case, I don't think Powell is very good and by the time this team is back in actual title contention (min. 3 years probably), Gasol will be fossilized.

I do agree that I don't like our money tied up in Hayward, I would be much more inclined to do it if he was expiring, but he's not. Still, though if you get two picks, #20ish and #40ish and the 2020 FA class sucks anyways, plus you actually have LESS MONEY tied up for 2021-the Free Agent year that matters-because Powell is now gone, I think it's worth considering.

Return to Toronto Raptors