ImageImageImageImageImage

Vince wants to return for to the Raps for his final year. Bring him home.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,911

Re: Vince wants to return for to the Raps for his final year. Bring him home. 

Post#221 » by bape_lovers » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:53 am

Would love VC back

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#222 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:22 am

T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS wrote:905? sure.

All kidding aside, I can see us adding him at the trade/buyout deadline for the playoffs. Wouldn't want him to be a distraction for the whole season, but would be a nice vet voice in the locker room and a good story line. Just dont want him taking minutes away from the young guys and their development.

Who says he's a good vet voice? All these years of continuing to play well past his prime, he has always chosen to go to non-contending teams. He just want to play for the sake of having a long career, and to be fair his longevity is amazing. But he is not the kind of vet who speaks from experience about winning. He has nothing to add, leadership-wise, to a team that has already won a title.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#223 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:34 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS wrote:905? sure.

All kidding aside, I can see us adding him at the trade/buyout deadline for the playoffs. Wouldn't want him to be a distraction for the whole season, but would be a nice vet voice in the locker room and a good story line. Just dont want him taking minutes away from the young guys and their development.

Who says he's a good vet voice? All these years of continuing to play well past his prime, he has always chosen to go to non-contending teams. He just want to play for the sake of having a long career, and to be fair his longevity is amazing. But he is not the kind of vet who speaks from experience about winning. He has nothing to add, leadership-wise, to a team that has already won a title.

this. there is no intrinsic value added to the team other than to please fans. don't talk to me about veteran leadership - he's never been a winner nor could he be a true leader.

Masai doesn't want the team to be distracted by the side show of which is Vince Carter. distraction for young players and because the fans will be yelling "we want Vince" the entire time.

**** that.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,367

Post#224 » by TorontoRapsFan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:55 am

Mikistan wrote:
TorontoRapsFan wrote:
Mikistan wrote:Teach them how to dog it in practice, and in game? Teach them how to be primadonnas?

Teach how to get to their spot on the court, when to hook the player so you get past them without the refs calling a foul, how to handle fans like you, how to handle the media, how to take care of your body in 20 year career. There is more sides to a person than just one. But hey what do I know.

Any multi allstar vet should be appreciated on our bench, especially if they're ok with not being major part of rotation.

Witty retort:
Sorry man, I didn't know we were teaching them to NOT win.
(championships or otherwise..)

Acknowledgement of your post:
You make great points, and all those things are valuable to all benches.

But this is sport, where the very first, simplest rule in every game is to win the game, right? Sure, also have fun, as we teach the kids... But.. To win.

Main tenet of my argument:
Vince Carter unceremoniously dessecrated the alter of competitive spirit on the world stage.
And some things need to be remembered as examples of human folly rather than be forgiven.

Secondary points:
He has had opportunities to come back and chose to be a journeyman in his past. Sure the raptors may not have made offers in prior offseasons. One news report, I think after the first clev sweep summertime claimrd Demar and KLowry voted and decided not to say yes to Masai to try to sign Vince - citing that the team didn't need the distraction.

Even IF Vince's heart is pure and open to reconciliation for the right reasons - he can teach all those nice things you mentioned in an assistant coach role!
At this point in his career, and after the Raptors franchise has won its first championship, the Raptors have more to lose and Vince has more to gain from this reunion.

Vince Carter's spot on the pantheon of Basketball Legends will be as a phenom dunker and a journeyman. Fin.

Frankly, younger players have more to gain from getting any VC regular season rotation minutes, and likely playoff minutes too!

Final thoughts:
On second thought, I'd be okay to sign him at the vet buyout market as a hired gun for this playoffs when we are behind in series as a Nurse trump card. He can earn it with his play then, unless he's graduating MBA school that weekend...

Fair enough. I personally don't care about the reunion, reconciliation narrative. Maybe good business, maybe good distraction. I just can't say no to a player that has a place in NBA all time records. The man did score a ton. Regardless of what he may be known as, he has a spot in all time scoring and shooting. Pretty sure shooting wise it's 3ps. I'll take him as an assistant as well. As for the whole will he/wont he/will they/wont they sign that's happened, I don't know any details but I bet Raptors didn't want to sign him except for that one year, mid season, where DD and KLow said no. I can't see how the Raptors have anything to lose. Hell just selling current jerseys with his name on it is probably on some exec's mind. I'd rather it just be looked at as a bball decision than all the yay and nay that's been going on in this thread, and you got there too :)
SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,817

Post#225 » by SaveTheHens » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:09 am

I wouldn't mind him joining this team at all. His biggest value is his previous superstar experience allowing him to be present in big moments, and secondly his humility as a previous superstar. He's no Melo or AI who were still playing out their ego's when their talent didn't commend the same attention. He's ready for any role, and I do think he's still got what it takes to take a big late game shot and bury it, ala Gary Payton for the Heats first title.

His efg% last year was the highest of his career, the two years before it's been pretty high too. He's a good low volume guy who will only help teach guys how to take care of themselves and seems to have a very professional vibe. Whatever Masai thinks is best I'll trust, if there's someone else he'd like I get it. But overall Vince is a nice pickup for any team, but especially here since he'd probably take his role very seriously and almost be in make up mode all year lol but I think it'd be a good situation.
Berserk_Raptor
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,744

Post#226 » by Berserk_Raptor » Thu Aug 1, 2019 12:02 am

i really laugh at people saying NO, hey boys, we are no competing for anything this season, Vince Carter return would be the only reason to watch this waste season.
@raptor21_85
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,527

Post#227 » by Jcity08 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 11:29 am

Vince will be 43 next season. The only thing he provides is being a sideshow. We are not the circus of a team like in the past where we add old, washed up vets on their name alone. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

He needs to be on a team that will give him consistent PT & minutes so he can pursue his quest of playing in the NBA across 4 eras(90s, 00s, 10s, 20s). **** the youth.

He is not worth a roster spot and consistent PT. He is washed as washed could be. He is a net negative defensively.

He should finish his career in Charlotte where they truly have nothing going for them this season.

Also, he is a career loser, I don't think he could provide any advice or mentoring to our champions.

Spoiler:
ImageImageImage

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
tosi
Assistant Coach
And1: 504

Post#228 » by tosi » Thu Aug 1, 2019 1:45 pm

Berserk_Raptor wrote:i really laugh at people saying NO, hey boys, we are no competing for anything this season, Vince Carter return would be the only reason to watch this waste season.

Nah I rather give more time to the young guys and figure out what we have
fart wrote:I agree. get over it people. MJ is ridicoulsly overrated that people have developed this perception that no one can challenge him for GOAT.
vincecarter55
Rookie
And1: 1,844

Post#229 » by vincecarter55 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:01 pm

Hell ya!
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#230 » by Yeezus_ » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:13 pm

Berserk_Raptor wrote:i really laugh at people saying NO, hey boys, we are no competing for anything this season, Vince Carter return would be the only reason to watch this waste season.

Raptors arent tanking. No one wants to watch old man Carter struggle out there. I rather watch the development of our young guys. You seem like a bandwagon fan.
Yeezy SZN approaching
Berserk_Raptor
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,744

Post#231 » by Berserk_Raptor » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:46 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:

Raptors arent tanking. No one wants to watch old man Carter struggle out there. I rather watch the development of our young guys. You seem like a bandwagon fan.

what young guys sir? dont fool yourself, the only potential talent wing we have is OG, the rest is trash and you know it. Moreover, VC would only play 10 to 15 min a game. Are you going to tell me Patrick McCaw, Jodie Meeks or effing Malcolm Miller will turn into decent players?

This season is only for fun, got it?
@raptor21_85
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,833

Post#232 » by Duffman100 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:50 pm

Jcity08 wrote:Vince will be 43 next season. The only thing he provides is being a sideshow. We are not the circus of a team like in the past where we add old, washed up vets on their name alone. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

He would actually immediately become one of our best shooters.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#233 » by ruckus » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:08 pm

Berserk_Raptor wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:

what young guys sir? dont fool yourself, the only potential talent wing we have is OG, the rest is trash and you know it. Moreover, VC would only play 10 to 15 min a game. Are you going to tell me Patrick McCaw, Jodie Meeks or effing Malcolm Miller will turn into decent players?

This season is only for fun, got it?

Is watching wayyyyy past his due date 'Ol Man Vince fun though? It'll be fun for exactly 1 home game for nostalgia purposes then, it becomes a sideshow/distraction like everyone else is saying.

At this point, I'd rather watch Powell, Davis, Thomas, OG, Stan, RHJ, play the lions' share of the wing minutes over having Vince fill up a roster spot to sit on the bench and look pretty in a suit.
Jcity08
RealGM

Post#234 » by Jcity08 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:15 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:Vince will be 43 next season. The only thing he provides is being a sideshow. We are not the circus of a team like in the past where we add old, washed up vets on their name alone. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

While also being one of our worst on ball defenders, playmakers & barely has any hop left.

Its easy to shoot well on a crappy team & coming off the bench when you're not fighting for playing time or minutes.

He literally has nothing left outside of "longevity" in this league.

He is a sideshow at this point in his career.

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#235 » by Duffman100 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:16 pm

Jcity08 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

While also being one of our worst defenders, playmakers, barely has any hop left.

Its easy to shoot well on a crappy team & coming off the bench when you're not fighting for playing time or minutes.

He'd be one of our worse play makers? Have you seen this team?

We currently lack a) veterans wings b) people who can hit shots.

Outside of the obvious money making ability of it, Vince clearly fits a role on this team and, probably, would add more value than someone like Malcolm Miller or Jordan Loyd for one year.
Jcity08
RealGM

Post#236 » by Jcity08 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:28 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

While also being one of our worst defenders, playmakers, barely has any hop left.

Outside of the obvious money making ability of it, Vince clearly fits a role on this team and, probably, would add more value than someone like Malcolm Miller or Jordan Loyd for one year.

He has no positive impact on a team when he's a net negative BPM off the bench.

Jordan Loyd(55 mins) & Malcom Miller(67) played a fraction of the amount of minutes Vince(1330) played and yet with all that opprotunity on a crappy team to bump up his stats in garbage time or when teams literally go out of their way to let him dunk just so he can hit a milestone in his life, he isn't a signficant enough improvement on two guys who barely get any floor time as it is.

If we're really comparing Malcom Miller & Jordan Loyds impact to make an argument for having Vince on this squad, a Vince who'd demand a lot more minutes/PT, I think we've long since lost the plot.

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#237 » by Duffman100 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 4:18 pm

Jcity08 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:

Jordan Loyd(55 mins) & Malcom Miller(67) played a fraction of the amount of minutes Vince(1330) played and yet with all that opprotunity on a crappy team to bump up his stats in garbage time or when teams literally go out of their way to let him dunk just so he can hit a milestone in his life, he isn't a signficant enough improvement on two guys who barely get any floor time as it is.

If we're really comparing Malcom Miller & Jordan Loyds impact to make an argument for having Vince on this squad, a Vince who'd demand a lot more minutes/PT, I think we've long since lost the plot.

He wouldn't demand minutes. He'd share them with Matt Thomas, Stanley Johnson, McCaw, etc.

Considering Thomas and Johnson could easily flop and becoming almost unplayable, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a veteran guy who can soak up some minutes and give us some passable time.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#238 » by Duffman100 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 4:28 pm

Either way, at this point, doesn't look like it's going to happen. I think he would have been signed by now.
Jcity08
RealGM

Post#239 » by Jcity08 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 4:54 pm

Duffman100 wrote:He wouldn't demand minutes. He'd share them with Matt Thomas, Stanley Johnson, McCaw, etc.

Considering Thomas and Johnson could easily flop and becoming almost unplayable, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a veteran guy who can soak up some minutes and give us some passable time.

Fair enough. I just can't see the Raptors signing Vince as a basketball related move, it can be for nostalgia, PR reasons...ect. But I've said my peace about this subject.

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#240 » by Duffman100 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 4:55 pm

Jcity08 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:

He wouldn't demand minutes. He'd share them with Matt Thomas, Stanley Johnson, McCaw, etc.

Fair enough. I just can't see the Raptors signing Vince as a basketball related move, it can be for nostalgia, PR reasons...ect. But I've said my peace about this subject.

Yeah doubt it's even going to happen. So what are we debating? The fictitious thing that wont' happen? :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors