ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors have followed Matt Thomas for years

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Raptors have followed Matt Thomas for years 

Post#1 » by Double Helix » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:29 pm

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/basketball-mens/2019/07/23/matt-thomas-iowa-state-cyclones-toronto-raptors-los-angles-lakers/1799167001/

He was 44.5% from beyond the 3-point arc.

That success rate caught the Raptors' eyes, too, and they hadplanned on bringing Thomas in to play on their Summer League team. That was the plan, at least, until (Magic) Johnson came calling..

Thomas helped the Lakers to the Summer League title by shooting 8-for-9 from the field and finishing with 23 points in the championship game.

“I was happy with the way I played,” Thomas said. “What I was looking for never really came (though).”

Thomas continued to shine and impress NBA personnel in Spain. During the 2017-18 season, Thomas averaged 15.4 points, 2.4 assists and 2.4 rebounds in 30 games with Rio Natura Monbus Obradoiro.

While he was having all that success, the NBA was never far from his mind.

“I just thought it would be better for me to develop my game, not only on the court but off the court, in Spain,” Thomas said. “Also, just to have the opportunity to live in Spain and embrace the culture and be able to travel and see the world (was great).”

... I tried my best to live in the moment and enjoy the experience. “Obviously, my goal was to come back and play in the NBA.”

While he was playing overseas, Thomas said he kept hearing from his agent, who said NBA teams were noticing. But Thomas never did get an offer to come back until this summer. When the defending NBA champions lost shooting star Danny Green, they had an opening and offered Thomas a chance.

“I guess they just thought it was the right time with their roster, and they thought I was ready to make the jump,” Thomas said. “They felt like I was able to come and help their team for next season.”
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,747

Re: Raptors have followed Matt Thomas for years 

Post#2 » by And1Skip » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:31 pm

Posted this in the Matt Thomas thread last week but I guess it could deserve its own thread as it was forgotten.
First Step
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,929

Post#3 » by First Step » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:32 pm

And1Skip wrote:Posted this in the Matt Thomas thread last week but I guess it could deserve its own thread as it was forgotten.

Anything to bump one of the Kawhi Leonard threads off the main page is worth starting a new thread for.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#4 » by Scott Hall » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:47 pm

Hopefully he becomes the next Joe Harris
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#5 » by sule » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:51 pm

If he can have the kind of impact Anthony Parker did when he came over, ho man.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,220

Post#6 » by niQ » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:52 pm

May he never miss.
tradejosehesux
Starter
And1: 3,858

Post#7 » by tradejosehesux » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:58 pm

sule wrote:If he can have the kind of impact Anthony Parker did when he came over, ho man.

One of my favourite Raptors in his relatively short stint here. Got his jersey buried somewhere
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,101

Post#8 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:12 pm

tradejosehesux wrote:
sule wrote:If he can have the kind of impact Anthony Parker did when he came over, ho man.

One of my favourite Raptors in his relatively short stint here. Got his jersey buried somewhere

Trivia: Anthony Parker was actually called "Tony" by his family, friends and teammates. But to avoid confusion in the league, he publicly went by the name "Anthony". He always seems way more like an "Anthony" than a "Tony" - i.e. classier. But whatever.
dozo
Senior
And1: 299

Post#9 » by dozo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:20 pm

Scott Hall wrote:Hopefully he becomes the next Joe Harris

My first thought when they signed him.
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,489

Post#10 » by YelloC » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:24 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
tradejosehesux wrote:

Trivia: Anthony Parker was actually called "Tony" by his family, friends and teammates. But to avoid confusion in the league, he publicly went by the name "Anthony". He always seems way more like an "Anthony" than a "Tony" - i.e. classier. But whatever.

He always seemed like he’d make a good coach. Last time I checked he was a scout with Philly. I wouldn’t mind if the Raps brought him in to be an assistant, maybe development coach.
PT416
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,243

Post#11 » by PT416 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:36 pm

Double Helix wrote:https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/basketball-mens/2019/07/23/matt-thomas-iowa-state-cyclones-toronto-raptors-los-angles-lakers/1799167001/

He was 44.5% from beyond the 3-point arc.

That success rate caught the Raptors' eyes, too, and they hadplanned on bringing Thomas in to play on their Summer League team. That was the plan, at least, until (Magic) Johnson came calling..

Thomas helped the Lakers to the Summer League title by shooting 8-for-9 from the field and finishing with 23 points in the championship game.

“I was happy with the way I played,” Thomas said. “What I was looking for never really came (though).”

Thomas continued to shine and impress NBA personnel in Spain. During the 2017-18 season, Thomas averaged 15.4 points, 2.4 assists and 2.4 rebounds in 30 games with Rio Natura Monbus Obradoiro.

While he was having all that success, the NBA was never far from his mind.

“I just thought it would be better for me to develop my game, not only on the court but off the court, in Spain,” Thomas said. “Also, just to have the opportunity to live in Spain and embrace the culture and be able to travel and see the world (was great).”

... I tried my best to live in the moment and enjoy the experience. “Obviously, my goal was to come back and play in the NBA.”

While he was playing overseas, Thomas said he kept hearing from his agent, who said NBA teams were noticing. But Thomas never did get an offer to come back until this summer. When the defending NBA champions lost shooting star Danny Green, they had an opening and offered Thomas a chance.

“I guess they just thought it was the right time with their roster, and they thought I was ready to make the jump,” Thomas said. “They felt like I was able to come and help their team for next season.”

Sounds familiar..
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#12 » by sule » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:40 pm

YelloC wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
tradejosehesux wrote:One of my favourite Raptors in his relatively short stint here. Got his jersey buried somewhere

He always seemed like he’d make a good coach. Last time I checked he was a scout with Philly. I wouldn’t mind if the Raps brought him in to be an assistant, maybe development coach.

He'd probably be a great assistant for players coming over from Europe. Help them transition their games to the NBA.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#13 » by RaptorsNorth » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:48 pm

I said it before and I'll say it again!!!! He'll be starting ahead of norm before the season is over!! His game is not hard to translate into the new NBA.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#14 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:11 pm

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#15 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:19 am

RaptorsNorth wrote:I said it before and I'll say it again!!!! He'll be starting ahead of norm before the season is over!! His game is not hard to translate into the new NBA.

Well if that happens might as well ship Norm and or Freddy because we need to be thinking legit run and/or long term. Would love to make a play for Favors and Alexander-Walker. In reality I hope Norm runs away with it and doesn't get poached. They both look like sitting ducks for a deal though.
kahula_joe
Sophomore
And1: 208

Post#16 » by kahula_joe » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:21 am

Agreed!
First Step wrote:
And1Skip wrote:Posted this in the Matt Thomas thread last week but I guess it could deserve its own thread as it was forgotten.

Anything to bump one of the Kawhi Leonard threads off the main page is worth starting a new thread for.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#17 » by HiJiNX » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:30 am

RaptorsNorth wrote:I said it before and I'll say it again!!!! He'll be starting ahead of norm before the season is over!! His game is not hard to translate into the new NBA.

I doubt this. He won’t be able to defend starting guards in the NBA based on his athletic profile. I wish we could start him based on his shooting but I doubt he will be able to.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Post#18 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:55 am

I hope they following my boy Marius Grigonis now.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Post#19 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:58 am

ANthony parker was euroleagues final MVP, hold your horses pal.
dozo
Senior
And1: 299

Post#20 » by dozo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:19 am

HiJiNX wrote:

I doubt this. He won’t be able to defend starting guards in the NBA based on his athletic profile. I wish we could start him based on his shooting but I doubt he will be able to.

Starting games is a little overrated. Minutes is where it's at.

Haven't watched enough game to talk about his defense. (Basketball IQ can help)

Mad respect for going overseas to develop his game.

Im leaning towards the latter.

Anything is possible and it's likley the raptors opening day roster will be different after the trade deadline.

Return to Toronto Raptors