ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors have followed Matt Thomas for years

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Re: Raptors have followed Matt Thomas for years 

Post#61 » by mrsocko » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:52 pm

RaptorsNorth wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:I took a moment to go down the Matt Thomas rabbit hole and I come out of it convinced he will be our starting SG this season.

No surprise by now to state that he has some serious shooting ability.

His 3pt% over these two years in Spain, would prop him up as the most accurate 3pt shooter in the NBA, above Joe Harris and Danny Green. Given Green's departure I can see him running around Gasol's hammer screens or putting up threes on passes from Lowry or Siakam, as a reliable perimeter scoring option. And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him averaging 12-15 ppg.
This would also help take some of the steam off of Siakam and OG's development.

Anyway you slice it, we still have a pretty serious team to contend with.
Gasol and Ibaka erasing Embid and Giannis once again. Scoring depth and defence. Etc. I couldn't imagine a greater riot than watching this squad, as is, repeat. Minds would explode.
they won't give him the starting spot ahead of norm from the jump unless he just blows nurse away. They'll still give norm the chance and might even play the lowry/fred line up at times, but by the allstar game he'll be starting infront of norm. 3 point shooting in that line up will be important to space the floor like green did in the regular season. Norm powell is not consistent enough to keep him out of the line up. Thomas don't even have to be that great defensively. All he has to be in a capably defender and do what joe harris does and he'll keep norm out of starting line up.

When he takes the starting spot away from
Norm remember who called it first on here.

Can’t see him taking Norms spot unless he is a lot better at defence than his reputation says he is.
Dick expectation level 0/5
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,152

Post#62 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:58 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:This board values shooting too much over the ability to get a bucket

well why don't we sign Melo. all he does is get buckets.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#63 » by Red_Claw » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:20 pm

Matt Thomas is a great signing and i look forward to seeing what he can provide to a team that really needs shooting BUT:

Bearing injuries, Matt Thomas WILL NOT start a game this season. You can take that to the bank.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,212

Post#64 » by niQ » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:28 pm

Red_Claw wrote:Matt Thomas is a great signing and i look forward to seeing what he can provide to a team that really needs shooting BUT:

Bearing injuries, Matt Thomas WILL NOT start a game this season. You can take that to the bank.

I just got back from the bank. They told me they don't accept threes.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,867

Post#65 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:57 pm

Red_Claw wrote:Matt Thomas is a great signing and i look forward to seeing what he can provide to a team that really needs shooting BUT:

These guys delivered the trophy so no way he gets more than 16 minutes a game best case scenario.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#66 » by fbalmeida » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:07 pm

The only way he gets a serious slice of game time, starter or not, is if he shoots out the lights in practices while proving himself an able defensive body.
There's a question mark there for sure, but it's fascinating to learn this guy won everything there was to win with Valencia, after having won a summer league with the Lakers. If he was a significant defensive liability, Valencia probably wouldn't have won their titles.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
Imenutz
Junior
And1: 192

Post#67 » by Imenutz » Thu Aug 1, 2019 1:43 pm

I thought Knick fans were bad.

If Thomas ends up starting for us this year, it is more telling of our roster than it is of him being talented (aka not a good thing). Plodding out Norm or Fred seems to be something made of necessity rather than luxury, I never did like how we just let Danny Green go without a fight.

Return to Toronto Raptors