ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors, beadwork, Sixties Scoop

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

shapo
Ballboy
And1: 66

Raptors, beadwork, Sixties Scoop 

Post#1 » by shapo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:53 pm

Crystal Semaganis, from the Little Pine First Nation and Poundmaker Cree Nation in Saskatchewan, has been creating intricate beadwork for 28 years.

Semaganis and her siblings were separated from their parents during the Sixties Scoop, a story documented in the CBC podcast Finding Cleo, which focused on the case of Semaganis's sister.

"I think it's really important that we mix traditions with current culture," she said. "We want to stay relevant, we want to stay current, we want to stay visual and still be reminded of where we came from."

And shortly after the Toronto Raptors won their first-even NBA championship, she began beading the team's logo onto medallions, almost all of them customized in some way.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/indigenous-beading-popular-culture-custom-beadwork-1.5226311

Speaking of which, any Indigenous people among the Raptors realgm members? What First Nation are you from?
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,333

Re: Raptors, beadwork, Sixties Scoop 

Post#2 » by Mikistan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:57 pm

So is she paying royalties for her work, MLSE and NBA about to come down hard
SwiftyV
Sixth Man
And1: 1,682

Post#3 » by SwiftyV » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:59 pm

I listened to that podcast awhile back. Absolutely crushing story. The Sixties Scoop stuff is so insane to think about.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,384

Post#4 » by YogiStewart » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:59 pm

in Manitoba, the First Nations did a re-work of the Jets' logo for a first nations' night.

it's pretty great
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,790

Post#5 » by lobosloboslobos » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:52 pm

shapo wrote:
Crystal Semaganis, from the Little Pine First Nation and Poundmaker Cree Nation in Saskatchewan, has been creating intricate beadwork for 28 years.

Semaganis and her siblings were separated from their parents during the Sixties Scoop, a story documented in the CBC podcast Finding Cleo, which focused on the case of Semaganis's sister.

"I think it's really important that we mix traditions with current culture," she said. "We want to stay relevant, we want to stay current, we want to stay visual and still be reminded of where we came from."

And shortly after the Toronto Raptors won their first-even NBA championship, she began beading the team's logo onto medallions, almost all of them customized in some way.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/indigenous-beading-popular-culture-custom-beadwork-1.5226311

Speaking of which, any Indigenous people among the Raptors realgm members? What First Nation are you from?

Very cool. Good for her. I'd definitely buy one. The medicine wheel colours Raptors logo is great and if the Raptors were smart (and interested in reconciliation) they'd order a whole bunch and give them away. Hope they do...

not First Nations myself.
shapo
Ballboy
And1: 66

Post#6 » by shapo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:22 pm

Very cool. Good for her. I'd definitely buy one. The medicine wheel colours Raptors logo is great and if the Raptors were smart (and interested in reconciliation) they'd order a whole bunch and give them away. Hope they do...

That would actually be a neat idea -- to order and give away/sell the medallions. Along with this lady's family's personal story that includes the Sixties Scoop. It might help in bringing a bit broader awareness about the Sixties Scoop and, thus, in reconciliation.
Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,217

Post#7 » by Def Leppard » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:12 am

My friend first Nations, he don't pay no taxes, thats cool

Sent from my BBE100-5 using RealGM mobile app
"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"

Return to Toronto Raptors