ImageImageImageImageImage

Since Masai took control

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Re: Since Masai took control 

Post#41 » by Metallikid » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:16 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:I wanted him fired before this season. Sticking with Derozan + Casey for 5 years was infuriating. But then this year happened and all is forgiven.

I just took him for a good scouting GM before, but now I see that he has the balls to make short-term winning moves as well. I wasn't a fan of the Kawhi trade at the time since I didn't think we'd have a chance against GSW (granted, nobody knew Pascal was going to have all all-star season back then, except probably Masai), and I wanted us to rebuild. But the fact that he made that trade, and then the Gasol follow-up trade, really surprised me. His career up to that point (in Denver and Toronto) had been defined by passivity.

His scouting ability is elite. He's the best scouting GM in the league, along with Buford and Connelly. And now we know he isn't afraid to cash his chips in either.

I was always afraid MLSE was limiting Masai but when Casey finally got canned I knew we had the right guy who could take a stand.
dozo
Senior
And1: 299

Post#42 » by dozo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:21 pm

team edward wrote:Small market team
Can't perform in the playoffs
Only won because of Kawhi and lucky shots

You must only watch the last 2 minutes and highlights if NBA games.

Small market is a myth.

The Raptors Broke the record for most Championship Merchandise sold. (1 billion dollars)

The Raptors are relatively a young franchise. (25 years This season)

The Raptors 1st championship is very similar to the Heats 1st ( 2006 )Championship.

The Heat were not always a popular place to play.

Fun how winning changes that.

Give it time The Raptors will follow suit.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#43 » by XxIronChainzxX » Thu Aug 1, 2019 12:15 am

Raps in 4 wrote:I wanted him fired before this season. Sticking with Derozan + Casey for 5 years was infuriating. But then this year happened and all is forgiven.

I just took him for a good scouting GM before, but now I see that he has the balls to make short-term winning moves as well. I wasn't a fan of the Kawhi trade at the time since I didn't think we'd have a chance against GSW (granted, nobody knew Pascal was going to have all all-star season back then, except probably Masai), and I wanted us to rebuild. But the fact that he made that trade, and then the Gasol follow-up trade, really surprised me. His career up to that point (in Denver and Toronto) had been defined by passivity.

His scouting ability is elite. He's the best scouting GM in the league, along with Buford and Connelly. And now we know he isn't afraid to cash his chips in either.

I just think the view that Masai took too long to change the team is short-sighted. The team was winning on the whole. It consistently improved in the regular season. There was a lot of talent on the table. We were missing a #1 - a superstar - but that didn't mean we needed to tear it down. More to the point, we had way too much talent to just tear it down. You can't turn a 50+ win team into a 17 win team overnight. Also, who wants to watch a lottery dumpster fire for multiple seasons?

Masai always has a smart plan: win slowly and improve over time. He has always added good pieces to this team. We very likely make 3x ECFs if the seeding plays out a little differently. The East was a dumpster fire for many years.
Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Post#44 » by Raps1103 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 12:50 am

Loyal_Canuck wrote:
Raps1103 wrote:
Loyal_Canuck wrote:Best executive in the league. Wasn’t a believer until the Derozan trade and the emergence of Pascal.

no problem ... we accept bandwagon-ers and casuals in this fanbase :)

Lol fan since day 1

Then ur b-ball knowledge is subpar!! If you didn’t know until the Dero trade that Masai is an incredible GM/Prez!

Most of us already knew... and don’t watch with blinders on
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#45 » by Kabookalu » Thu Aug 1, 2019 1:07 am

I still don't understand people who thought he was an awful GM before the Kawhi trade. They judged his entire tenure on not trading DeMar/firing Casey.
Read on Twitter
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,558

Post#46 » by 2019nbachamps » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:30 am

Masai is the #1 asset on the Raptors and easily one of the most important figures in the team's history. My biggest worry about our future is Masai is tempted by a new challenge down the line. I'll be happy if he is still with us beyond 2021 but I doubt it.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,485

Post#47 » by Brinbe » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:57 am

astonishing record. it's really f'n hard to win championships in this league and masai pulled off the near-impossible. it's absolutely crazy.

my only criticism after losing to cleveland was that maybe he was too loyal to his guys. and then he upended all that and did the right thing. we need to make sure he never leaves. just like a jerry west, he will bring success wherever he goes.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,342

Post#48 » by TOStateofMind » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:01 am

Deserves to be the first statue
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,938

Post#49 » by Anticon » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:11 am

6 years...

Never missed the playoffs...

Never less than 48 wins...

Never worse than 4th in the East..

From first 7 game playoff series win to first championship in three seasons...

Set a standard for other Toronto sports as mediocrity is no longer acceptable...

One of the only Canadian business executives for whom success in Canada means more than success in the U.S...

And showed that real leadership is about doing what's necessary for greatness and not pandering to what people want...

None of this happens without him.
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#50 » by Neutral 123 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:29 am

I'll add. He did all of this after taking over a team that missed the playoffs 5 years straight without any real assets and a team paying through the nose to win 30 games.

I'll define his tenure as one of accepting the current situation and building from there instead of trying to force his own agenda through. It's a life lesson. Follow the signs, accept what is and you'll be alright.
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#51 » by Neutral 123 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:32 am

Kabookalu wrote:I still don't understand people who thought he was an awful GM before the Kawhi trade. They judged his entire tenure on not trading DeMar/firing Casey.

They must be too young to remember what this franchise was before he got here, or they are just one of many BC burner accounts.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,978

Post#52 » by MEDIC » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:54 am

Also gotta give props to Lieweke & Dolan.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,543

Post#53 » by SFour » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:25 am

Masai deserves a 10 year contract
Hackett
Senior
And1: 672

Post#54 » by Hackett » Thu Aug 1, 2019 8:36 am

C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,649

Post#55 » by C_Money » Thu Aug 1, 2019 9:36 am

At least we’re not the Toronto Blue Jays LOOOL!
Chevy Chase
Sixth Man
And1: 820

Post#56 » by Chevy Chase » Thu Aug 1, 2019 11:45 am

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:If Masai leaves, we are doomed

we are doomed until another executive with Masai's scouting and balls to make such a move like Derozan comes along.

we will be **** if Masai leaves - probably until the next generation comes through

In my mind, if Masai does leave, its to do more international/charity work and not for another organization.

And I trust him to eventually find a protege to mentor and eventually replace himself before he ultimately leaves.

Oh, and if I were MLSE, I'd have already shown him a timeline where he is eventually promoted to President of MLSE in Tim's old job. I can't see Shanny having any issues reporting to him.
mcgrady_1
Veteran
And1: 3,159

Post#57 » by mcgrady_1 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 11:49 am

C_Money wrote:At least we’re not the Toronto Blue Jays LOOOL!

Seriously. What the hell are these guys doing?
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,577

Post#58 » by bluerap23 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:17 pm

dozo wrote:
team edward wrote:Small market team
Can't perform in the playoffs
Only won because of Kawhi and lucky shots

You must only watch the last 2 minutes and highlights if NBA games.

Small market is a myth.

The Raptors Broke the record for most Championship Merchandise sold. (1 billion dollars)

The Raptors are relatively a young franchise. (25 years This season)

The Raptors 1st championship is very similar to the Heats 1st ( 2006 )Championship.

The Heat were not always a popular place to play.

Fun how winning changes that.

Give it time The Raptors will follow suit.

Rah - Brian's collars are normal size, find a new slant.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#59 » by ruckus » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:24 pm

The key word in OP is "control". He doesn't placate the masses which is where a lot of GM's fall short. He's patient and makes the right move instead of the popular move.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,514

Post#60 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:49 pm

ruckus wrote:The key word in OP is "control". He doesn't placate the masses which is where a lot of GM's fall short. He's patient and makes the right move instead of the popular move.

Also, the best leaders hire good people and listen to those people. Masai isn't threatened by other talented people. He will make decisions based on what Bobby Webster and his scouts advise. You need to delegate because you can't be an expert on every prospect/player in the world.

Return to Toronto Raptors