ImageImageImageImageImage

WT: RJ not playing in FIBA world cup anymore

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

young11a
Rookie
And1: 1,587

Re: WT: RJ not playing in FIBA world cup anymore 

Post#61 » by young11a » Tue Aug 6, 2019 9:24 pm

LilRomeo905 wrote:Maybe he'd rather focus for his rookie season -- probably realized he was disappointing @ SL. Understood.

Ya he looked brutal
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,600

Post#62 » by dTox » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:46 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
dTox wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Because you’re only looking at it from your biased point of view. I would say the 34 year old has more to lose. One injury at that age could end a career (ala steve nash). RJ and his dad are looking out for themselves. As I said, it looks awfully bad which for reasons why iv stated above.

Who has more to lose,
-the 34 year old who already has earned more than $100 mill over his career and a title with perhaps ..2-3 years left past his prime
-or a 19 year old who hasn't gotten paid yet, and has his entire career ahead of him?

Think logically for a second

RJ has three years to show something whereas kyle is in a contract year and could be playing for a substantial amount or if he gets an injury, something closer to what isaiah thomas got. At the end of the day, it’s a fake move by RJ and his Dad and there’s some merit there, especially since all the big names decided to drop out. I guess I wasn’t so far off with my opinion. And people saying he’s a rookie, he wasn’t gonna get minutes.... he would be getting minutes now with jamal murray and others snubbing.

Very underwhelming with what happend with Team
Canada this week. Doesn’t look so good right now on Rowan Barret and Glen Grunwald for that matter.

There is a chance that a catastrophic injury might occur at a game and RJ never sees to make 100 mill over his career, while Lowry already has made much more. A 34 year old, has much, much less to loose than a guy who has yet to make a buck at the NBA level.
TBZ for the win
Edvan88
Pro Prospect
And1: 952

Post#63 » by Edvan88 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:49 pm

dTox wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
advocating for 34 year old playing in FIBA event while 19 not playing sounds pretty lame to me.

Because you’re only looking at it from your biased point of view. I would say the 34 year old has more to lose. One injury at that age could end a career (ala steve nash). RJ and his dad are looking out for themselves. As I said, it looks awfully bad which for reasons why iv stated above.

Who has more to lose,
-the 34 year old who already has earned more than $100 mill over his career and a title with perhaps ..2-3 years left past his prime
-or a 19 year old who hasn't gotten paid yet, and has his entire career ahead of him?

I would argue Lowry has more to lose. Basically he has nothing to gain by going to a meaningless tournament for US. They are going to the Olympics regardless, and Lowry ain't gonna learn more and improve his skills from this tournament. Whereas for RJ, he can learn a lot from the vets, while helping Canada to qualify for the Olympics.

Overall, this looks bad for the GM and Canada basketball as a whole. Basically all your good young players are snubbing the team when Canada needs to finish as a top 2 N.A. team to qualify for the Olympics. You look at the US team and you see Lowry risking his rehab, and Celtics sending 4 players over, and other young players going to represent USA.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,447

Post#64 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Aug 6, 2019 11:41 pm

dTox wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
dTox wrote:
Who has more to lose,

RJ has three years to show something whereas kyle is in a contract year and could be playing for a substantial amount or if he gets an injury, something closer to what isaiah thomas got. At the end of the day, it’s a fake move by RJ and his Dad and there’s some merit there, especially since all the big names decided to drop out. I guess I wasn’t so far off with my opinion. And people saying he’s a rookie, he wasn’t gonna get minutes.... he would be getting minutes now with jamal murray and others snubbing.

Very underwhelming with what happend with Team
Canada this week. Doesn’t look so good right now on Rowan Barret and Glen Grunwald for that matter.

There is a chance that a catastrophic injury might occur at a game and RJ never sees to make 100 mill over his career, while Lowry already has made much more. A 34 year old, has much, much less to loose than a guy who has yet to make a buck at the NBA level.

I don’t see it that way. Kyle is 34 and injury prone and risking his body in a contract year for an oppurtunity to get his next big deal. RJ has 3 years to play for his next deal. In the end, it looks pretty bad to see a guy like Kyle risking his body out there while a young kid is staying away and where team canada needs him more than ever. Criticisim will likely come once Canada struggles (I hope they dont and Nick nurse pulls a rabbit out of his hat).
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#65 » by hype_2004 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:46 am

Rowan Barrett protecting his kids money making future I get but the simple lack of patriotic pride from these kids is appalling. None of these millionaire kids who came from immigrant families have no attachment to Canada anymore. It's all about branding and playing for that contract, sad reality of being a young athlete in social media era.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#66 » by XTC » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:20 am

hype_2004 wrote:Rowan Barrett protecting his kids money making future I get but the simple lack of patriotic pride from these kids is appalling. None of these millionaire kids who came from immigrant families have no attachment to Canada anymore. It's all about branding and playing for that contract, sad reality of being a young athlete in social media era.

It’s called being smart and protecting yourself.

Put yourself in his shoes, what do you do?

RJ isn’t loosing 1 or 2 million by playing. He’s loosing 10 million + by playing and gambling that he doesn’t substain an injury.

If you where RJ’s parents, would you really advocate him playing and potentially loosing money? As a Canadian it sucks he backed out, but looking at it from his POV I get it 100%.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#67 » by Westside Gunn » Wed Aug 7, 2019 1:11 pm

XTC wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:Rowan Barrett protecting his kids money making future I get but the simple lack of patriotic pride from these kids is appalling. None of these millionaire kids who came from immigrant families have no attachment to Canada anymore. It's all about branding and playing for that contract, sad reality of being a young athlete in social media era.

It’s called being smart and protecting yourself.

Put yourself in his shoes, what do you do?

RJ isn’t loosing 1 or 2 million by playing. He’s loosing 10 million + by playing and gambling that he doesn’t substain an injury.

If you where RJ’s parents, would you really advocate him playing and potentially loosing money? As a Canadian it sucks he backed out, but looking at it from his POV I get it 100%.

I wonder why hockey players dont think the same way. Their game is about a million times rough and the odds of ending your career in a hockey game is much higher than a basketball game, yet they still commit.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
super_balls
Starter
And1: 1,837

Post#68 » by super_balls » Wed Aug 7, 2019 1:17 pm

It looks like RJ still undecided on his shoe deal... Maybe that is why he did not commit.

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2019/08/06/new-york-knicks-r-j-barrett-shoe-contract-apparel-nike-puma-adidas/

Return to Toronto Raptors