ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN's Jackie MacMullan's article on NBA coaches, Nurse to move SpicyP to 3?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

blastttOFF
General Manager
And1: 8,793

Re: ESPN's Jackie MacMullan's article on NBA coaches, Nurse to move SpicyP to 3? 

Post#41 » by blastttOFF » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:38 am

does moving to the 3 spot mean anything anymore in the NBA?
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,655

Re: ESPN's Jackie MacMullan's article on NBA coaches, Nurse to move SpicyP to 3? 

Post#42 » by XxIronChainzxX » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:09 pm

Boogie! wrote:I'm honestly getting nervous that nurse is gonna turn Powell into a fringe bench player again, while he ups fvv and ogs usage... His obsession with certain guys still perplexes me... At least give them defined roles...

Norm is t he guy that needs to be unleashed. I hate how nurse doesn't give him t he same free reign to go out and hunt down his shots...

I see that the magic of the title has worn off and we're back in message. :wink:

I don't actually disagree on not wanting FVV to handle the rock more or try and shoot more than he is but I'm not as sold on Norm.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#43 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:20 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
Boogie! wrote:I'm honestly getting nervous that nurse is gonna turn Powell into a fringe bench player again, while he ups fvv and ogs usage... His obsession with certain guys still perplexes me... At least give them defined roles...

Norm is t he guy that needs to be unleashed. I hate how nurse doesn't give him t he same free reign to go out and hunt down his shots...

I see that the magic of the title has worn off and we're back in message. :wink:

I don't actually disagree on not wanting FVV to handle the rock more or try and shoot more than he is but I'm not as sold on Norm.

Yeah, why have a guy that's one of the best in assist to turnover ratio handle the ball.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,725

Post#44 » by And1Skip » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:42 pm

Boogie! wrote:
I don't like the quote about nurse talking to fvv and siakam specifically though... To me it sounds like he wants fvv to be a more aggressive scorer and that's a disaster. Fvv needs to be relrwgsted to cat h and shoot 3 duty. That was when he was at his best all season and in the playoffs specifically. He made an impact by draining 3s. Any time he had the ball in his hands for extended periods it was a disaster...

Also where does norm factor into all this? I admittedly didnt read the whole article, but why isn't nurse telling norm hes gonna have a bigger role? Norm is the one guy that has prototypical swing man skillset as well as length athleticism and finishing ability... We should be turning him into a demar type scorer for us... No **** idea why nurse keeps prioritizing fvv over him...

The quote was when Jackie McMullan was at SUmmer League on July 6, 2019 and Nick Nurse was seen courtside. This was the day after Kawhi announced his decision. Pascal and Fred were also courtside that day. Nick Nurse talked to a lot of media people that day and told Jackie specifically that quote that Nurse spoke to Pascal and Fred right after Kawhi's decision.

Norm wasn't at Summer League "yet". I don't think he arrived until the next week. So I wouldn't dwell no the quote that much. If Norm was in town, he would have told him the same thing.
nitrous
General Manager
And1: 11,470

Post#45 » by nitrous » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:53 pm

I remember suggesting this a while back as away to get Ibaka and Gasol on the floor together. Many here laughed at the idea. :roll:
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#46 » by Red_Claw » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:57 pm

nitrous wrote:I remember suggesting this a while back as away to get Ibaka and Gasol on the floor together. Many here laughed at the idea. :roll:

Many are still laughing. Not sure why you take this thread as justification....
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#47 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:59 pm

It will get decided in camp and I still think OG takes the starting spot whether it 3 or 4.
Pet Poeltl
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,148

Post#48 » by Pet Poeltl » Fri Aug 2, 2019 7:29 pm

ruckus wrote:I wanna know more about the shoulders that were grabbed. Did they grab each other's right shoulders and look into each other's eyes and say we're ready? I'm picturing some kinda cheesy Voltron-like thing.

Or did they grab they're own right shoulder like some kind of salute?

It was like one of these moments I assume...

hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#49 » by hsb » Fri Aug 2, 2019 8:27 pm

This is the one problem with having so many expiring contracts...you have so many players wanting minutes/possessions for their next contract.

Putting Siakam at the three spot for any decent amount of time screams old bad management Raptors philosophy, where they tried to force players into something they shouldn't. I don't want them to go backwards right after their championship season.

Siakam is the 4 now and for the future. It's up to Ibaka and Gasol to be okay with coming off the bench. Siakam shouldn't have to play the three just so the other two can see more time on the court...
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#50 » by hsb » Fri Aug 2, 2019 8:31 pm

Metallikid wrote:
alan_156 wrote:
Asif16 wrote:Ibaka has already stated before that he does not like playing the PF spot.

I dont think he gets moved into the Lineup along side Gasol, except for short spurts like we saw in the Playoffs

I think we saw that ibaka is at his best at the 5. That year he played with JV he was camping outside the arc bricking 3s. Ibaka is at his best when he's 15-17 ft away from the basket.

Like ppl are saying I think this is a more situational thing than a starting lineup change. We have tons of guys that can play the 2 or 3 and not many serviceable bigs. Ibaka will probably come off the bench.

Serge gets the least credit for the 'ship but all his shots in the Finals were low-key **** huge.

Which would be weird because he was literally the only other guy to show up outside Kawhi in game 7 of the 76ers series.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,168

Post#51 » by niQ » Fri Aug 2, 2019 8:46 pm

Nurse stays experimenting.
HeartBreaking
Starter
And1: 2,313

Post#52 » by HeartBreaking » Sat Aug 3, 2019 12:57 am

hsb wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
alan_156 wrote:
I think we saw that ibaka is at his best at the 5. That year he played with JV he was camping outside the arc bricking 3s. Ibaka is at his best when he's 15-17 ft away from the basket.

Like ppl are saying I think this is a more situational thing than a starting lineup change. We have tons of guys that can play the 2 or 3 and not many serviceable bigs. Ibaka will probably come off the bench.

Serge gets the least credit for the 'ship but all his shots in the Finals were low-key **** huge.

Which would be weird because he was literally the only other guy to show up outside Kawhi in game 7 of the 76ers series.

Absolutely, if serge doesn't shoot the way he did in game 7 we easily lose, we knew kawhi would show up, but serge was a pleasant surprise
PaulieWal wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:He's going to get fined by the league for that. Marv Albert was actually saying don't do that, don't do that. Meanwhile half the audience was thinking Marv should know.

That's Kevin Harlan.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#53 » by Metallikid » Sat Aug 3, 2019 1:02 am

HeartBreaking wrote:
hsb wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

Absolutely, if serge doesn't shoot the way he did in game 7 we easily lose, we knew kawhi would show up, but serge was a pleasant surprise

Yes, let us not forget Serge was a certified legend that game. Everyone in the GT always hates it when he takes a shot but I was telling Serge to shoot every time he was open. People really don't give him the credit he deserves. I'm certain after his **** show against LeBron he had a very long one-on-one conversation with Masai and it really made a world of difference. He came back a new man.
alan_156
Senior
And1: 755

Post#54 » by alan_156 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:34 pm

Metallikid wrote:
HeartBreaking wrote:
hsb wrote:Which would be weird because he was literally the only other guy to show up outside Kawhi in game 7 of the 76ers series.

Yes, let us not forget Serge was a certified legend that game. Everyone in the GT always hates it when he takes a shot but I was telling Serge to shoot every time he was open. People really don't give him the credit he deserves. I'm certain after his **** show against LeBron he had a very long one-on-one conversation with Masai and it really made a world of difference. He came back a new man.

Yes, serge made some clutch shots in that game but in a bigger sample size he's much better shooting his mid range and his hook shot close to than basket than he is jacking up 3s. His game is better suited as a 5 than a 4. Also we don't have a lot of big men depth so we need him off the bench.
neurotik
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,864

Post#55 » by neurotik » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:38 pm

It provides the Raps with flexibility. A big frontcourt of Siakam/Ibaka/Gasol, to combat Philly and give other teams matchup problems, and a small one of Siakam/OG or SJ or RHJ/Gasol or Ibaka to go small. In the latter lineup I can see Siakam playing SF on offence and guarding PFs on defence.
(1 of 10)
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,526

Post#56 » by mdenny » Sun Aug 4, 2019 11:01 am

hsb wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
alan_156 wrote:

True....but this is partly bc he was being covered by tobias harris bc they decided to switch Embid on Siakum. Probably my biggest takeaway from this chip run was the cliche 'You're only as strong as your weakest link'. We saw this repeatedly throughout the playoffs.

Still can't believe Harris got that contract. Worst overall starter that whole series. Reddick's average to poor D was compensated for with his scoring.

Return to Toronto Raptors