ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj draymond agrees to 4 year 100 million extensions

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,548

Re: Woj draymond agrees to 4 year 100 million extensions 

Post#41 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:15 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:As for GSW, I can't see them winning another title unless they can somehow get a significant haul for Russell and/or find some gems through the draft and free agency. They are significantly weaker now. There was less competition in the NBA when they won their first title and they had a deep roster. Then they added KD.

Now they have the same core as 2015 but no depth (eg Iggy and Livingston were huge for them). Russell is no where near as good as KD and doesn't fit as well in their lineup. They also now have to deal with a much tougher conference in which any team could beat them in the playoffs. The dynasty is dead IMO and they may need to trade their core guys after a couple of years since there is no point in paying that much in luxury tax if you aren't competing for titles.

Less competition?

The West was stacked in 2015 and 2016.

You had the Westbrook-Durant Thunder, the Paul-Griffin-Jordan Clippers, the Randolph-Gasol-Conley-Allen Grizzlies, the Kawhi-Duncan-Parker-Ginobili Spurs, the Harden-Howard Rockets, the Lillard-Aldridge Blazers etc.

Those were all 50+ win teams that were pretty damn good.

You forget that the Warriors were historically great...winning 67 games in 2015 and a record 73 games in 2016. This wasn't some team that took advantage of a weak Western Conference.

My point was the west was less competitive then than today, not that the west was not competitive.

The only teams that gave the Warriors trouble were the Thunder and Rockets, the other 5 playoff teams were no match. Now I think any of the other 7 playoff teams can beat this Warriors team.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#42 » by Danny1616 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 11:28 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:As for GSW, I can't see them winning another title unless they can somehow get a significant haul for Russell and/or find some gems through the draft and free agency. They are significantly weaker now. There was less competition in the NBA when they won their first title and they had a deep roster. Then they added KD.

Now they have the same core as 2015 but no depth (eg Iggy and Livingston were huge for them). Russell is no where near as good as KD and doesn't fit as well in their lineup. They also now have to deal with a much tougher conference in which any team could beat them in the playoffs. The dynasty is dead IMO and they may need to trade their core guys after a couple of years since there is no point in paying that much in luxury tax if you aren't competing for titles.

Less competition?

You had the Westbrook-Durant Thunder, the Paul-Griffin-Jordan Clippers, the Randolph-Gasol-Conley-Allen Grizzlies, the Kawhi-Duncan-Parker-Ginobili Spurs, the Harden-Howard Rockets, the Lillard-Aldridge Blazers etc.

You forget that the Warriors were historically great...winning 67 games in 2015 and a record 73 games in 2016. This wasn't some team that took advantage of a weak Western Conference.

My point was the west was less competitive then than today, not that the west was not competitive.

The only teams that gave the Warriors trouble were the Thunder and Rockets, the other 5 playoff teams were no match. Now I think any of the other 7 playoff teams can beat this Warriors team.

Dude, the Spurs and Clippers also gave the Warriors issues. You forget the Clippers beat the Warriors in 2014 playoffs and had injuries in 2015.

Spurs also were a great team but ran into the Thunder most years. Warriors actually struggled against the Spurs during the season in some years. And of course, Kawhi got hurt in 2017 with the Spurs in the playoffs. Even Memphis gave the Warriors some issues and held their own in the playoffs.

Don't downplay how good the Spurs, Thunder, Grizzlies, Clippers and Rockets were...any of those teams would have a chance of winning the East that year.

The West was just as good, if not better, then it was right now. Especially in 2015 where 5 times won 55+ games.

Think about it...this year was the best the East has been in years and only two teams won 55+ games. That year 5 teams won 55+ games...it was a ruthless conference.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#43 » by LiSTWithLani » Mon Aug 5, 2019 2:49 am

Danny1616 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Less competition?

Dude, the Spurs and Clippers also gave the Warriors issues. You forget the Clippers beat the Warriors in 2014 playoffs and had injuries in 2015.

Spurs also were a great team but ran into the Thunder most years. Warriors actually struggled against the Spurs during the season in some years. And of course, Kawhi got hurt in 2017 with the Spurs in the playoffs. Even Memphis gave the Warriors some issues and held their own in the playoffs.

Don't downplay how good the Spurs, Thunder, Grizzlies, Clippers and Rockets were...any of those teams would have a chance of winning the East that year.

The West was just as good, if not better, then it was right now. Especially in 2015 where 5 times won 55+ games.

Think about it...this year was the best the East has been in years and only two teams won 55+ games. That year 5 teams won 55+ games...it was a ruthless conference.

Not sure that I agree with the logic that having more teams winning 55+ games means that the conference is harder. The East was very good this year. All of Indiana, Boston, Philadelphia, Toronto and Milwaukee could have made it to the finals IMO.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#44 » by Danny1616 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 6:11 am

lstern wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:

Not sure that I agree with the logic that having more teams winning 55+ games means that the conference is harder. The East was very good this year. All of Indiana, Boston, Philadelphia, Toronto and Milwaukee could have made it to the finals IMO.

Huh?

You realize that the teams in the West have a much tougher schedule because they play each other 3-4 times a year.

You realize that in the past few seasons the West has demolished the East in head to head match-ups.

It's even more impressive that those Western Conference teams won so many games.

You have short-term memory. The West was stacked in 2015 and 2016...absolutely stacked. The Warriors were at the peak...the Thunder featured two MVP caliber players in their primes, the Spurs were led by Kawhi and still had the veteran core in tact with solid depth, the Grizzlies still had arguably the best defensive team in the league, the Clippers when healthy could beat anyone with Paul, Griffin and Deandre in their primes and then you still had very solid teams like the Blazers, Rockets, Mavericks and Pelicans.

Let me throw some facts at you. In 2015 the Raptors finished 4th in the East with 49 wins. The Bucks finished 6th in the East with 41 wins. Brooklyn finished 8th in the East with 38 wins.

In the West the Mavericks had the 7th seed with 50 wins. So 7th in the West would have been 3rd in the East.

It's absurd to think the West was easier back in the day...it was ruthless.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,603

Post#45 » by Ackshun » Mon Aug 5, 2019 8:51 pm

RonaldArtest wrote:Great deal for the warriors locking up Dray at that dollar amount.

Probably taking the Longview (future coaching, front office gig, etc...).
TerryTate
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#46 » by TerryTate » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:20 pm

Personally, I think it's a horrible deal. Draymond isn't bad, in fact he's good, but I felt there are a lot of red flags.
Just think it was too much money for too long.

Too long for someone who tends come into camp overweight. Shows his commitment to keeping in shape. Will be harder to cut going into his 30's.
Still not a major offensive threat.I think the PO's proved that.
A little too outspoken, which definitely cause internal friction this year in GSW.
Doesn't listen or constantly defies Kerr publicly.
On court behaviour, which being on the GSW he has got away with multiple times. Any other NBA player would get suspensions.
Other key pieces are such as Livingston and Iggy gone.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#47 » by J-Roc » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:47 pm

YogiStewart wrote:i'm gonna ask a question, since i'm actually unsure where i stand.

In the day and age of salary caps, is Dray worth $25 mil/year?

If he's a 3rd best player, then yeah. It's how you slot these guys in that means more. Kyle was our highest paid guy last year, but our 3rd most important.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,732

Post#48 » by Jadoogar » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:00 pm

Mak wrote:Interesting. He could have gotten so much more next year.

Really? He's undersized and ageing. He looks fantastic on the Warriors because the offensive talent around him, i don't think that carries over to another team.

Obviously his defense is fantastic but he was also surrounded by Klay Thompson, Iggy and KD. He's way more valuable to the Warriors than any other team. I wouldn't spend $25M on Draymond if i was the Wizards.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,569

Post#49 » by Mak » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:29 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
Mak wrote:Interesting. He could have gotten so much more next year.

Really? He's undersized and ageing. He looks fantastic on the Warriors because the offensive talent around him, i don't think that carries over to another team.

Obviously his defense is fantastic but he was also surrounded by Klay Thompson, Iggy and KD. He's way more valuable to the Warriors than any other team. I wouldn't spend $25M on Draymond if i was the Wizards.

Al Horford got the max and he is 33. What you say does make sense but over and over again players who should not actually do get the max. I think it would only make sense for a team close to winning a title to give him max or anything close to it.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,725

Post#50 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:35 pm

Repeater tax is going to get them.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,527

Post#51 » by ropjhk » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:43 pm

He nearly averaged a triple double in the playoffs. Green is almost as irreplaceable in Golden State's system as Steph and Klay. At 28, 4/100 seems like a good deal for both sides. I don't think Green could find more on the open market and I don't think Golden State can sign anyone better for the same money.

Return to Toronto Raptors