ImageImageImageImageImage

SI: Lowry wants to stay in Toronto long-term for rest of his career

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,885

Re: SI: Lowry wants to stay in Toronto long-term for rest of his career 

Post#141 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:36 am

LilRomeo905 wrote:Would he be willing to go off the bench and give the reigns to FVV? hmmm ... love KL but I see him another year or 2 as a efficient starter

Trouble with that is, as much as FVV came up huge in the Finals, and has a lot of heart and everything, he is not as good at running an offense as Kyle, as a PG needs to be. He is a short SG who works his butt off. And we will all love him forever for his play in 2019.But as a playmaker he is not a starting PG in the NBA.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,714

Post#142 » by Yallbecrazy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:28 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
LilRomeo905 wrote:Would he be willing to go off the bench and give the reigns to FVV? hmmm ... love KL but I see him another year or 2 as a efficient starter

Trouble with that is, as much as FVV came up huge in the Finals, and has a lot of heart and everything, he is not as good at running an offense as Kyle, as a PG needs to be. He is a short SG who works his butt off. And we will all love him forever for his play in 2019.But as a playmaker he is not a starting PG in the NBA.

Kyle's probably the best floor general PG the game has ever seen, you will not replace that or find anyone as good at running an offense(better than Kidd). Kyle is a top 10-15 player in the league and has been for a while, he has carried players around him for years and made them look way better than they actually are. That's why certain people think he's top 10 and others think he's not top 40 and the most overrated player.
FVV may very well be a starting PG in the NBA eventually, but you can't compare him to Kyle. CP3 for most of his career has been a better shooter, fancier passer/more assists, better dribbler, more steals, more athletic, and considered the smartest player in the league. Yet, Lowry of late has been nearly as good or even sometimes better than CP3 from an on/off/advanced perspective the last 4 years.
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#143 » by BigRedDog » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:59 am

Yallbecrazy wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Kyle's probably the best floor general PG the game has ever seen, you will not replace that or find anyone as good at running an offense(better than Kidd). Kyle is a top 10-15 player in the league and has been for a while, he has carried players around him for years and made them look way better than they actually are. That's why certain people think he's top 10 and others think he's not top 40 and the most overrated player.
FVV may very well be a starting PG in the NBA eventually, but you can't compare him to Kyle. CP3 for most of his career has been a better shooter, fancier passer/more assists, better dribbler, more steals, more athletic, and considered the smartest player in the league. Yet, Lowry of late has been nearly as good or even sometimes better than CP3 from an on/off/advanced perspective the last 4 years.

I agree with your basic premise that lowry is extremely underrated. He has in fact been a top 10-15 regular season player for basically his entire career in toronto. Most of the time i think "playoff choker" is just a narrative but its tough to ignore that he has struggled a decent amount in the postseason comparatively though. I don't agree that he's better than CP3.. thats like the 1 PG outside of Curry that i dont think you can say he's been better than...

Also agree that FVV is a great player but he's more of an elite 6th man than a night in/out starter simply due to his size. He'd be a mid to low end starter IMO.

All that said Lowry is getting up there in age and his play is starting to decline and he's got a ton of minutes/mileage on him and he's becoming more fragile. I dont think he's a great investment on his next contract. Particularly for a team like Toronto that has so much young talent to build around.

Heck, OG Anunoby was arguably the best player in the league under 23 a year ago... and they won the title without even using the guy...

I wouoldnt want to tie this team's youth & future to Lowry who i believe is extremely close to hitting a major dropoff in production for the rest of his career..
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,242

Post#144 » by LLJ » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:56 pm

Lowry's biggest problem is that he's not as elite at creating his own shot as the top PGs should be. But everything else, he's very very good at.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,271

Post#145 » by YogurtProducer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:09 pm

BigRedDog wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

I agree with your basic premise that lowry is extremely underrated. He has in fact been a top 10-15 regular season player for basically his entire career in toronto. Most of the time i think "playoff choker" is just a narrative but its tough to ignore that he has struggled a decent amount in the postseason comparatively though. I don't agree that he's better than CP3.. thats like the 1 PG outside of Curry that i dont think you can say he's been better than...

Also agree that FVV is a great player but he's more of an elite 6th man than a night in/out starter simply due to his size. He'd be a mid to low end starter IMO.

All that said Lowry is getting up there in age and his play is starting to decline and he's got a ton of minutes/mileage on him and he's becoming more fragile. I dont think he's a great investment on his next contract. Particularly for a team like Toronto that has so much young talent to build around.

Heck, OG Anunoby was arguably the best player in the league under 23 a year ago... and they won the title without even using the guy...

I wouoldnt want to tie this team's youth & future to Lowry who i believe is extremely close to hitting a major dropoff in production for the rest of his career..

OG was the best player under 23? Man what the **** are you on
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#146 » by BigRedDog » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:35 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:

Just a way of making a point. You could argue he was better than KAT and Simmons at the time for sure...
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,271

Post#147 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:12 am

BigRedDog wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:

Just a way of making a point. You could argue he was better than KAT and Simmons at the time for sure...

Excuse me what??????
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#148 » by pkiskool » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:36 pm

I'm pretty sure Masai and Bobby has worked out the numbers for all possibilities already and have made up their minds on what to do for the next 2 seasons in terms of contracts.
After all, that's what they do all day whereas we just sneak in here occasionally during our work hours and quick post whatever it is on our minds without much thinking lol

Return to Toronto Raptors