ImageImageImageImageImage

SI: Lowry wants to stay in Toronto long-term for rest of his career

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Re: SI: Lowry wants to stay in Toronto long-term for rest of his career 

Post#61 » by Tanner » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:21 am

Remember that Game of Zones scene with Dirk looking old as hell on a bed telling Cuban he only has six more seasons in him? That’s going to be Kyle for us. He’s earned it. As long as it’s not cap killing, go for it.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#62 » by dalton749 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:41 am

Lol you guys are either saying way too much money, or saying circumvent the cap by making under the table deals.

Come December we’re all going to be talking about if Kyle is even a starting caliber player a that point, and if he can stay healthy playing more than 25 minutes a game.

He’s 33 and coming off a championship which he knows can’t be repeated, it’s all down hill from here so hopefully we pay him a fair amount so that everyone doesn’t turn on him.
tor1234567
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#63 » by tor1234567 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:11 am

Honestly, I think we need to trade him for the assets.

In 2021, it won't be easy to snag free agents with cap space alone. We need to leverage our cap (along with picks and other assets) to trade for assets (the same way Indiana managed to use their cap space and a pick to trade for Brogdon).
NyeahEh
Ballboy
And1: 14

SI: Lowry wants to stay in Toronto long-term for rest of his career 

Post#64 » by NyeahEh » Tue Aug 6, 2019 6:58 am

For what Kyle’s done for our franchise, the man deserves anything he asks for. Doesn’t really make sense to trade him especially since I see us being a playoff contender for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#65 » by yellowknifer » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:50 am

3 years 75 or 80 is more likely and reasonable. Last year could be creative and only guarantee it under certain conditions. Honestly we need to let the season play out too. We could win another championship. I know most think its impossible but I really don't.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,877

Post#66 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:12 am

NyeahEh wrote:For what Kyle’s done for our franchise, the man deserves anything he asks for. Doesn’t really make sense to trade him especially since I see us being a playoff contender for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Kind of reminds me of Henke and Ward. Hopefully KL dos not have to leave to accommodate the underrated Fred. If anyone wants a rebuild please go watch the Atkins BJ's. You only get five minutes to appreciate the bat flip, Mini Bautista and the shot that rattled in. That said every time we see Fred we know he can hit the biggest of shots, drive with the best of them and pick people's pockets. We know that Norm can bring it but every single night? We know that Paskal has star potential. We know Kyle Lowry is the best and hungriest Raptor ever and it isn't up for debate. Masai has a lot ofyoung untapped reclamation projects but none project to be starters which is a good thing.
Raptors 1995
Sophomore
And1: 155

Post#67 » by Raptors 1995 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:58 am

It's all a little silly without knowing term or amount per season, it's a trite statement made by a player which ultimately means nothing - what else is he supposed to say? ---- he wants 1 year at 5 million?, no problem sign him up today? (heck give him $10M!), he wants three years at 30 million, big problem --- the details matter, the sentiment not so much.....the facts are he's an aging asset and we are obviously looking to rebuild towards 2021 when the next decent free-agent class kicks in --- any contract that takes away from that reality is foolish in my opinion --- I mean when has "rewarding" an aging player with an overpaid legacy contract ever hurt a team before? I mean that's a recipe for success right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A year ago all of the sentimental/loyalty types were upset because DD was traded for Leonard (a guy who loved Toronto for basically a one year shot at glory) --- that trade got us a Championship, something most of us never dreamed would happen in our lifetimes.....now Leonard leaves and there are people who actually regret the trade? are you nuts? the goal of the team is to try to win a Championship, not be nice -- I hate the Patriots, but their Coach cuts players mercilessly and runs his team to be a winner and they keep winning --- "Brady" takes a way-undervalued contract (based on his performance and value to the team) based on his age - if you want to stay, take a cut, if Tommy 6 rings can do it, so can anyone else....

It reminds me of the old Seinfeld bit about cheering for laundry --- it would be great if we could have a team full of lovable personalities, who won championships, and who loved our city as much as we do --- you know what's the most fun? winning! -- I watch sports to see my team win, not be a swell bunch of guys who lose with really old players, Lakers fans hated LBJ (Kobe is better is all they would care about - clearly worth the last few years of his legacy contract :lol: !), I somehow think they will enjoy winning with LBJ more than losing without him next year if that comes to pass --- Leonard was a god in this town two months ago; changes laundry - now we hate that guy :roll: ? We cheer for the jersey more than anything else, I can learn to love lots of players when the team is winning - JV was a great beloved Raptor (Amir Johnson and PP loved this town too -- should they have been starting for us last year? - hell no!), Gasol was better last year than JV was, and helped to provide us what we needed to win -- now we can learn to love Gasol too (MVP of the parade frankly -- no way JV is out-doing what Gasol provided for all of us in that parade performance :lol: :lol: !!)......
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,934

Post#68 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Aug 6, 2019 11:15 am

This can't be right, Lowry only talks USA basketball when he's at a USA basketball function :lol:
tripa
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,352

Post#69 » by tripa » Tue Aug 6, 2019 12:15 pm

Raptors 1995 wrote:It's all a little silly without knowing term or amount per season, it's a trite statement made by a player which ultimately means nothing - what else is he supposed to say? ---- he wants 1 year at 5 million?, no problem sign him up today? (heck give him $10M!), he wants three years at 30 million, big problem --- the details matter, the sentiment not so much.....the facts are he's an aging asset and we are obviously looking to rebuild towards 2021 when the next decent free-agent class kicks in --- any contract that takes away from that reality is foolish in my opinion --- I mean when has "rewarding" an aging player with an overpaid legacy contract ever hurt a team before? I mean that's a recipe for success right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A year ago all of the sentimental/loyalty types were upset because DD was traded for Leonard (a guy who loved Toronto for basically a one year shot at glory) --- that trade got us a Championship, something most of us never dreamed would happen in our lifetimes.....now Leonard leaves and there are people who actually regret the trade? are you nuts? the goal of the team is to try to win a Championship, not be nice -- I hate the Patriots, but their Coach cuts players mercilessly and runs his team to be a winner and they keep winning --- "Brady" takes a way-undervalued contract (based on his performance and value to the team) based on his age - if you want to stay, take a cut, if Tommy 6 rings can do it, so can anyone else....

It reminds me of the old Seinfeld bit about cheering for laundry --- it would be great if we could have a team full of lovable personalities, who won championships, and who loved our city as much as we do --- you know what's the most fun? winning! -- I watch sports to see my team win, not be a swell bunch of guys who lose with really old players, Lakers fans hated LBJ (Kobe is better is all they would care about - clearly worth the last few years of his legacy contract :lol: !), I somehow think they will enjoy winning with LBJ more than losing without him next year if that comes to pass --- Leonard was a god in this town two months ago; changes laundry - now we hate that guy :roll: ? We cheer for the jersey more than anything else, I can learn to love lots of players when the team is winning - JV was a great beloved Raptor (Amir Johnson and PP loved this town too -- should they have been starting for us last year? - hell no!), Gasol was better last year than JV was, and helped to provide us what we needed to win -- now we can learn to love Gasol too (MVP of the parade frankly -- no way JV is out-doing what Gasol provided for all of us in that parade performance :lol: :lol: !!)......

gpoon
Pro Prospect
And1: 717

Post#70 » by gpoon » Tue Aug 6, 2019 1:47 pm

let him play out this year, then give him a front loaded contract next year, 2020 free agency is weak no one really worth going for. Spend the cap on Lowry and let him stay long term without compromising future cap. 3 year 50m 25-30 mill first year then spread the rest last two years.
Buff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,602

Post#71 » by Buff » Tue Aug 6, 2019 2:56 pm

If we're punting our capspace to 2021 then we should do one large one year deal that would count towards his legacy contract .. say 1 yr 35M and then like a 3-4 yeah MLE something like that
Chevy Chase
Sixth Man
And1: 820

Post#72 » by Chevy Chase » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:00 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:Actually give him a 1 year $30 million deal. Keeps our flexibility for 2021

Not a bad idea if you can have a handshake that the following year he signs a 2 year / $10 Mil contract.
LJKO
RealGM
And1: 16,356

Post#73 » by LJKO » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:06 pm

My only hope is Masai find us a successor to Lowry, so that someone can carry his legacy in the point gaurd position. I would of said Jamal Murray but he's locked up for now T_T
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Post#74 » by RaptorPride » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:08 pm

LJKO wrote:My only hope is Masai find us a successor to Lowry, so that someone can carry his legacy in the point gaurd position. I would of said Jamal Murray but he's locked up for now T_T

We got one already
Spoiler:

Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,577

Post#75 » by Syd-TK3 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:16 pm

LJKO wrote:My only hope is Masai find us a successor to Lowry, so that someone can carry his legacy in the point gaurd position. I would of said Jamal Murray but he's locked up for now T_T

Yeah I don't know how much I trust Fred as a starting point guard but there isn't really any out there to get.
This draft coming has a lot of good ones but we won't be near the lottery
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,236

Post#76 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:19 pm

Sorry but if I'm Masai, I love Lowry but I'm not destroying my cap space for what will be a 34+ year old PG who always enters the Playoffs with one injury or another and that's not going to get better with time as will his consistency to have good games as he continues to lose a step.

I get it, he's become a Raptor legend and all time fan favorite but I'm not letting that emotion cloud intelligently building future success. If we want our team to be great in the near future, we can't get caught up in the past even if it's recent. I offer a contract paying HALF (or less) of what he's getting annually now. Along the lines of what the Spurs did with Duncan so if he wants to stay we can do that but keep cap space to remain competitive and he can remain a leader and a face of this franchise. If not, it's not personal but anything over $15M+/yr (2-3 years at most on a declining scale) on an old, short PG is a bad investment and I wouldn't do it.

Truth be told I'm more in favor in having a conversation with him, thanking for everything, telling him he will be the first guy to have his number retired here but that the franchise needs to pivot and out of respect are asking him for a list of teams he might be willing to go to out and that we won't deviate from those to trade him to but we must move on. If no one bites of those teams, ok we stand pat but if not I believe the right thing for our franchise is to trade the vets for youth and picks that we either develop or have ready for the next big star that becomes available in trade.

I think the compromise, is to trade Gasol and Ibaka for youth and picks and hold on to Lowry for half the money (or less) moving forward. If he's not open to it and thinks he can get another big payday, we work with him to find a suitable trade partner. Just my 2c
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
vado
Analyst
And1: 2,172

Post#77 » by vado » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:30 pm

3 years / $45 to 50 million. Player option last year. If he doesn't take that he's not that interested.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#78 » by J-Roc » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:36 pm

Guys, he's not coming back. We can't afford to overpay him while trying to keep cap space for a rebuild. He's not going to want to waste the 20/21 season not competing with us for a one year deal. None of those options make sense. Most likely he leaves. It's up to Masai and Kyle to massage the situation to make sure he leaves in a way where fans and the player are comfortable. Like the last home game of this season is a big standing ovation because everyone knows it's probably his last. This is how the Jays did it with Jose Bautista.

ConSarnit
Analyst
And1: 3,653

Post#79 » by ConSarnit » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:59 pm

I’d give him a 1 year max deal as a sort of “thank you” but anything past that and I agree with a lot of the 3/40 type deals. PGs over 34 have a real bad history of falling off a cliff quickly. I mean, there’s a reason they gave him a 3 year deal in the first place.

Side note: I have no confidence in FVV as a replacement. He is a good role player but his play making leaves a lot to be desired. Unless Siakam + another wing develop as being able to run the offense FVV just can’t fill Lowry’s current role.
Skeezo
Analyst
And1: 2,737

Post#80 » by Skeezo » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:11 pm

Only 4-5 teams have more than an MLE to offer any free agent next year and some people are out here quoting numbers like 25m per year... :crazy: :noway: :nonono:

Personally, I would rather we just ship out Ibaka, Gasol, and Lowry for assets now, but if Lowry is willing to take a reduced bench role at 12-14m over a couple seasons, I might consider it, depending on how much he has in the tank this season... Any talk of 3-4 year contracts or salaries at 20m or more is simply Lowry fandom that is speaking from emotional attachment rather than logic and rationality.

Return to Toronto Raptors