ImageImageImageImageImage

SI: Lowry wants to stay in Toronto long-term for rest of his career

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Re: SI: Lowry wants to stay in Toronto long-term for rest of his career 

Post#81 » by XxIronChainzxX » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:17 pm

RaptorPride wrote:
LJKO wrote:My only hope is Masai find us a successor to Lowry, so that someone can carry his legacy in the point gaurd position. I would of said Jamal Murray but he's locked up for now T_T

We got one already

FVV is not his successor.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#82 » by XxIronChainzxX » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:20 pm

J-Roc wrote:Guys, he's not coming back. We can't afford to overpay him while trying to keep cap space for a rebuild. He's not going to want to waste the 20/21 season not competing with us for a one year deal. None of those options make sense. Most likely he leaves. It's up to Masai and Kyle to massage the situation to make sure he leaves in a way where fans and the player are comfortable. Like the last home game of this season is a big standing ovation because everyone knows it's probably his last. This is how the Jays did it with Jose Bautista.

It's hard to imagine Lowry having enough left in the tank to be a bench guy for a contender for the MLE and not wanting to stay here and entire a legend for more than that. It comes down to money, and if he's worth the MLE+ to be a bench guard then he's got enough in the tank to be a starter here.

I don't follow baseball so I can't comment on your analogy but I doubt there's a market for him that wouldn't be affordable for us.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#83 » by Double Helix » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:26 pm

If anything, the championship taught me how important it is to have guys on the team I like who grew with us and act as audience surrogates for myself as a fan. There’s a reason why Lowry lifting the Larry O B felt so magical and it’s because he was there with us and us with him during the long journey to the goal.

Look. Winning our first title was always going to feel great no matter what but I truly believe that if the whole team had been 1-year rentals and we never had some longer term guys like Lowry hoisting it up or leading the parade it would have felt less than it did. I think this will be even more true for the next title. Ideally, the next one will come with a total core who rises up together and can defend it so that we can see them grow as a group.

It’s imperative that the Raptors and Lowry put themselves in the best possible situation to have an amicable split when the time comes for the betterment of both and Lowry’s fans. Particularly because of this franchise’s lack of total history and lack of players with Lowry’s tenure and individual and team accomplishments. He should be our first jersey retirement and he should want to be and both sides need to work a little to make that happen.

We can’t keep souring memories with crap departures in this franchise. It’s cancerous and leads to a lack of legacy and history and both can sacrifice some on the court goals to better ensure the smoothest eventual exit possible for whenever it makes most sense to happen. Every team needs some players who future players knew of and associate with their club and winning. Every team wants to have some guys whose jerseys hang up in the rafters and who will get standing Os on returns.
dhackett1565
Sixth Man
And1: 1,678
Location: Pessimist central, wondering how I got here, unable to find my way out.

Post#84 » by dhackett1565 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:13 pm

To me, there are two avenues. The obvious avenue is tearing it down now, taking in bad contracts (that don't extend into 2021 cap space) for picks, and losing as much as possible the next two years while holding onto Siakam, OG and some other young depth. If that's the direction they wanted to go, they've already hurt themselves by waiting. So I suspect they intend to do the alternative.

That being to stay afloat, stay in the playoffs, and test Siakam's ability to be the 1A offensive option for a couple seasons. Keep the team's name in the mix every spring, stay competitive, make it appear they are one piece away - so when it comes time to attract that one piece, their sales pitch is that much stronger. And if they are going to do that for this year, they should also do it for the 2020-21 season. A half measure with a rebuild only makes sense if the competitive season comes second, and that's likely out the door at this point.

So if they are going to compete, what's the single most important thing they can do? Keep Lowry. Next summer he'll be at most a year removed from making the all-star team, and will likely get a decent payday from someone, which means if the Raptors want to keep him here without making a long term commitment at significant salary, they'll have to pay through the nose. And so be it. 41M (his max), one year, where do I sign. They can do that as an extension now (or anytime up to June 30) or wait for FA next summer.

That would leave them with 17M in cap room if they cared to use it (assuming a 25% max for Pascal), or 40M in room below the tax if instead they wanted to re-sign guys - easily room for a similar one year overpay for one of the C's (I'd think Gasol, Ibaka might have more of a long term market), and enough room to think about re-signing FVV depending on the value and term.

As for competing - if this year goes well, they could enter 2020-21 as favourites for home court advantage again, which is a pretty solid competitive spot to be in. And if that expensive deal comes (as you'd hope for) along with a cheaper longer term deal to follow, and the Raptors can leverage that 2021 cap room into another star, then Lowry could transition into that lower usage, lower minutes, championship veteran piece (while still likely being extremely effective in that role) and stay on a competitive team for the rest of his career.
Alfred re: Coach Mitchell - "My doctor botched my surgury and sewed my hand to my head, but I can't really comment on that, because I'm not a doctor, and thus he is above my criticism."
Sherlock
General Manager
And1: 12,706

Post#85 » by Sherlock » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:28 pm

dhackett1565 wrote:To me, there are two avenues. The obvious avenue is tearing it down now, taking in bad contracts (that don't extend into 2021 cap space) for picks, and losing as much as possible the next two years while holding onto Siakam, OG and some other young depth. If that's the direction they wanted to go, they've already hurt themselves by waiting. So I suspect they intend to do the alternative.

That being to stay afloat, stay in the playoffs, and test Siakam's ability to be the 1A offensive option for a couple seasons. Keep the team's name in the mix every spring, stay competitive, make it appear they are one piece away - so when it comes time to attract that one piece, their sales pitch is that much stronger. And if they are going to do that for this year, they should also do it for the 2020-21 season. A half measure with a rebuild only makes sense if the competitive season comes second, and that's likely out the door at this point.

So if they are going to compete, what's the single most important thing they can do? Keep Lowry. Next summer he'll be at most a year removed from making the all-star team, and will likely get a decent payday from someone, which means if the Raptors want to keep him here without making a long term commitment at significant salary, they'll have to pay through the nose. And so be it. 41M (his max), one year, where do I sign. They can do that as an extension now (or anytime up to June 30) or wait for FA next summer.

That would leave them with 17M in cap room if they cared to use it (assuming a 25% max for Pascal), or 40M in room below the tax if instead they wanted to re-sign guys - easily room for a similar one year overpay for one of the C's (I'd think Gasol, Ibaka might have more of a long term market), and enough room to think about re-signing FVV depending on the value and term.

As for competing - if this year goes well, they could enter 2020-21 as favourites for home court advantage again, which is a pretty solid competitive spot to be in. And if that expensive deal comes (as you'd hope for) along with a cheaper longer term deal to follow, and the Raptors can leverage that 2021 cap room into another star, then Lowry could transition into that lower usage, lower minutes, championship veteran piece (while still likely being extremely effective in that role) and stay on a competitive team for the rest of his career.

This would be my ideal outcome. A large 1-year deal for Lowry followed by a longer-term deal for him at a much lower annual rate (say MLE level) to allow him to eventually reduce his role and become a sage backup/mentor to whomever our long term PG of the future ends up being. The net result being that we pay him something like $60MM over 3 years or even $70MM over 4 years, but it comes in the form of a $40MM deal next year, and then $10MM/year for the remaining years of his career.

I like the idea of staying competitive and maintaining flexibility so we are (at least viewed as being) "one piece away". The experience of the Clippers and Nets vs. say the Knicks shows us that being competitive has meaningful value in being able to attract FAs.
Interviewer: Championship #2?
Ujiri: Hey...We're gonna get it. I don't know when it'll be, but we're gonna get it. Just like I said we'll get the first one and I said I didn't know when we'd get it...But we will. Guarantee you we will.
rapscity
Junior
And1: 281

Post#86 » by rapscity » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:37 pm

When u think of the raptors 25 years from now everyone will remember Lowry. All the hate and bullsh** this guy took. especially here in the city.
Moon Walk
Bench Warmer
And1: 162

Post#87 » by Moon Walk » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:38 pm

He should stay here for life.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,379

Post#88 » by Courtside » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:54 pm

Sherlock wrote:
dhackett1565 wrote:To me, there are two avenues. The obvious avenue is tearing it down now, taking in bad contracts (that don't extend into 2021 cap space) for picks, and losing as much as possible the next two years while holding onto Siakam, OG and some other young depth. If that's the direction they wanted to go, they've already hurt themselves by waiting. So I suspect they intend to do the alternative.

This would be my ideal outcome. A large 1-year deal for Lowry followed by a longer-term deal for him at a much lower annual rate (say MLE level) to allow him to eventually reduce his role and become a sage backup/mentor to whomever our long term PG of the future ends up being. The net result being that we pay him something like $60MM over 3 years or even $70MM over 4 years, but it comes in the form of a $40MM deal next year, and then $10MM/year for the remaining years of his career.

I like the idea of staying competitive and maintaining flexibility so we are (at least viewed as being) "one piece away". The experience of the Clippers and Nets vs. say the Knicks shows us that being competitive has meaningful value in being able to attract FAs.

I generally agree with this plan, except for the big one year lump deal. I don't think Kyle expects it, nor is he under the delusion he's worth it. Don't forget that whatever big one year deal he is on will also determine his cap hold the following summer, so giving him a 1/40 "thank you" contract hurts in more than one way.

He's been the highest paid Raptor ever and at $33 mil + bonuses, has been paid as a top 10 player, so he's already been given his due as a premier player and in helping us win a title, earned every penny. Getting $33 mil this year will be an overpay, so anything beyond this year needs to start dipping, even if it's just a one year filler deal to maintain space for 2021.

Personally, I'd sell him on getting to the $200 mil threshold as a player, and offer him a 3 year plan to get there. He'll be at about $150 mil after this season, so a one year deal at $23 and then two more at $14/13 seems about right to me, or perhaps even a little on the lower side now that I think about it, but if it's done so that he finishes his career here then it has to be at a value that doesn't hurt us in doing the other moves as needed. If it's too high then the need to trade him increases. It's better to pay him like Nowitski than like Gasol, who ended up needing to be moved for $ reasons. Put in substantial bonuses for him if we're winning, of course, otherwise make it so it's friendly to both sides.

3/50 gets him to $200 million and 36 years old, where he can gracefully exit or transition to coaching if he so chooses.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#89 » by J-Roc » Tue Aug 6, 2019 6:12 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
J-Roc wrote:Guys, he's not coming back. We can't afford to overpay him while trying to keep cap space for a rebuild. He's not going to want to waste the 20/21 season not competing with us for a one year deal. None of those options make sense. Most likely he leaves. It's up to Masai and Kyle to massage the situation to make sure he leaves in a way where fans and the player are comfortable. Like the last home game of this season is a big standing ovation because everyone knows it's probably his last. This is how the Jays did it with Jose Bautista.

It's hard to imagine Lowry having enough left in the tank to be a bench guy for a contender for the MLE and not wanting to stay here and entire a legend for more than that. It comes down to money, and if he's worth the MLE+ to be a bench guard then he's got enough in the tank to be a starter here.

I don't follow baseball so I can't comment on your analogy but I doubt there's a market for him that wouldn't be affordable for us.

Danny Green is only one year younger, but he's a fifth option guy, and he got $30M over 2 years. The offers will be there for Kyle that are more than the MLE, and anything more than one year eats into our capspace.

I want Kyle back too, but the only way it happens is if he digresses quite a bit and we "overpay" him on a small contract. But I think he'll have a decent year and will want to wait for free agency to listen to offers.
LJKO
RealGM
And1: 16,356

Post#90 » by LJKO » Tue Aug 6, 2019 6:49 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:
LJKO wrote:My only hope is Masai find us a successor to Lowry, so that someone can carry his legacy in the point gaurd position. I would of said Jamal Murray but he's locked up for now T_T

We got one already

FVV is not his successor.

Exactly, I would of said FVV but that slump before his born child still scares me :noway:
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#91 » by hankscorpioLA » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:01 pm

A couple of advanced stats from last year, courtesy of basketball reference

PER: 16.5 - 77th
WS/48: .144 - 51st
BPM: 3.1 - 35th
VORP: 2.8 - 37th

These are all significantly lower than they were the year before, but some of that is due to changes in personnel.

IMHO 3 years and $45 million would be about right for Lowry's current and projected level of production.
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,030

Post#92 » by ontnut » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:32 pm

vulture wrote:I really don’t see the point of keeping Lowry since we’ll be in rebuild mode soon. I would look to trade him to a contender for the best possible assets. A team like Miami can use his services at this point.

Miami...contender?
Skeezo
Analyst
And1: 2,737

Post#93 » by Skeezo » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:54 pm

We did the same thing last time Lowry was a free agent and didn't understand his market... The only teams next year with cap space that can give Lowry at least 15m per year over multiple years is:

• New York Knicks (???)
• New Orleans Pelicans (Rebuilding)
• Phoenix Suns (Rebuilding)
• Atlanta Hawks (Trae Young)
• Memphis Grizzlies (Ja Morant)

Who is a 34-year-old Lowry getting a significant offer from? I think you'll see multiple contending teams willing to give Lowry a 2 or 3 year MLE deal between 20m-28m, but nobody on that list above is going to shell out 15m or more over multiple years to Lowry. I see zero point in holding onto Lowry for one-more year at a high-salary in 2020. Use the space to take on other 2020 dead-weight salary in exchange for future assets rather trying to hold onto a diminishing one. Don't get me wrong, I think Lowry can still be a useful 6-9 man in the rotation from age 34-36, but the salary needs to reflect that. As someone already mentioned, Lowry has been paid extremely well in exchange for everything he has given to the organization. The Raptors should feel no obligation to overpay Lowry to get him to stay.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,147

Post#94 » by PoundTown » Tue Aug 6, 2019 8:17 pm

I'd give him two year, 40 million dollar contract extension in a heart beat. You know Kyle will always give you his all, and he should be a Raptors legend. He epitomizes the blue collar attitude the Toronto sports fan loves and has always appreciated the city and fan base back. Also, his game is based on smarts before athletecism and I personally always think he will be effective, even if he is barely posting double digits in points. Think of Jason Kidd in that way. We would just need a perimeter creator with him and Pascal and I think we are a hell of a team again.
tor1234567
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#95 » by tor1234567 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:04 am

Courtside wrote:
Sherlock wrote:

I generally agree with this plan, except for the big one year lump deal. I don't think Kyle expects it, nor is he under the delusion he's worth it. Don't forget that whatever big one year deal he is on will also determine his cap hold the following summer, so giving him a 1/40 "thank you" contract hurts in more than one way.

He's been the highest paid Raptor ever and at $33 mil + bonuses, has been paid as a top 10 player, so he's already been given his due as a premier player and in helping us win a title, earned every penny. Getting $33 mil this year will be an overpay, so anything beyond this year needs to start dipping, even if it's just a one year filler deal to maintain space for 2021.

Personally, I'd sell him on getting to the $200 mil threshold as a player, and offer him a 3 year plan to get there. He'll be at about $150 mil after this season, so a one year deal at $23 and then two more at $14/13 seems about right to me, or perhaps even a little on the lower side now that I think about it, but if it's done so that he finishes his career here then it has to be at a value that doesn't hurt us in doing the other moves as needed. If it's too high then the need to trade him increases. It's better to pay him like Nowitski than like Gasol, who ended up needing to be moved for $ reasons. Put in substantial bonuses for him if we're winning, of course, otherwise make it so it's friendly to both sides.

3/50 gets him to $200 million and 36 years old, where he can gracefully exit or transition to coaching if he so chooses.

What's past is past. Kyle will take the largest offer, and he will ask the Raptors to match it.

If anything, Kyle actually might take offense if Masai were to play the "well we have been overpaying you these past three years, so give us a discount" card.

Lowry will give the Raps the first right of refusal.
Lowry "might" take a discount, but we're taking maybe a million or two. He's not going to turn down $20-25 million per season from another team, for a $15 million offer from us.

We will have two max slots, and we're essentially going to have to decide whether or not we use up one of these slots on a 34-35 year old Kyle Lowry.

I'm all for a large one-year deal that will take him to 2021 (assuming we don't use the cap to acquire anyone notable in the meantime)... But the focus has to be on acquiring a younger, core piece to pair with Siakam (and not focus on giving Lowry a victory lap).

I just hope Masai doesn't lose sight of this.
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,434

Post#96 » by Morse Code » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:37 am

Johnny Bball wrote:I could see extending him. 3/45 maybe 2/35. but makes much more sense to see what happens in the summer and re-sign him with bird rights after using the cap space. If there's anywhere to use it.

My thoughts as well. I see it was a waiting game. Maybe he's patient enough to see what we do, and let us use his bird rights after everything, or maybe this is lip service and he'll take the deal he wants unless we pay him handsomely right away. Time will tell.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,658

Post#97 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:42 am

hankscorpioLA wrote:A couple of advanced stats from last year, courtesy of basketball reference

PER: 16.5 - 77th
WS/48: .144 - 51st
BPM: 3.1 - 35th
VORP: 2.8 - 37th

These are all significantly lower than they were the year before, but some of that is due to changes in personnel.

IMHO 3 years and $45 million would be about right for Lowry's current and projected level of production.

They are lower because he deferred to Leonard. As he told him he would do at the start of the year. His expected wins added didn't drop by half for any other reason.
tor1234567
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#98 » by tor1234567 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:43 am

Morse Code wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:I could see extending him. 3/45 maybe 2/35. but makes much more sense to see what happens in the summer and re-sign him with bird rights after using the cap space. If there's anywhere to use it.

My thoughts as well. I see it was a waiting game. Maybe he's patient enough to see what we do, and let us use his bird rights after everything, or maybe this is lip service and he'll take the deal he wants unless we pay him handsomely right away. Time will tell.

Huh?

Doesn't Lowry have a massive cap hold?

We would need to renounce signing him in order to access that cap space, no?
poomaster
Senior
And1: 701

Post#99 » by poomaster » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:02 am

He needs to be traded for assets while he has value, draft picks and young prospects while he can still contribute to a contender.
ConSarnit
Analyst
And1: 3,653

Post#100 » by ConSarnit » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:04 am

This team is on a slippery slope with Lowry (and to a lesser extent Gasol). I posted before I would give him a 2-3 year deal but upon inspection it just has to be year by year deals. Every point guard 34 and over (CP3 excepted) is a 15 min/game backup AT BEST (and there are only like 3-4 of them still in the league). There is a drop off coming for Lowry (and Gasol) and it’s coming soon.

Return to Toronto Raptors