ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag

Moderators: Yuri Vaultin, Patman, DG88, pbj, Duffman100, Alfred, Morris_Shatford, Rhettmatic

User avatar
Raps in 4
RealGM
Posts: 42,536
And1: 28,041
Joined: Nov 01, 2008
Location: Toronto
 

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#41 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:59 am

FluLikeSymptoms wrote:I slide Larry Bird over to the PF spot and call him the best PF ever. He started at PF for years and played there a lot afterward. Malone sure did put up numbers, though.


You don't need to slide anyone over. Duncan and KG already have very strong cases over Malone for GOAT PF. You could even make a case for Dirk.
devilsace
Junior
Posts: 380
And1: 271
Joined: Nov 29, 2012
       

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#42 » by devilsace » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:24 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
binjumper wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:This is an old story, I remember this and being shocked about it at first - maybe when Cheryl entered the WNBA. I also remember other NBA players talking about it too and a news report or mini-documentary on it. Someone said it was a transferring of what he went through to his children. His father denied his mother's existence and she raised a tribe of kids on her own and he did the same to his kids, deny their existence.

It's hard to judge without knowing the complete story and the article is not giving a ton of information. More sensationalist. What I remember was it was consensual but underage which is wrong. He was worried the parents were being gold-diggers which the article alludes to also. His perception of the world is sort of warped from his childhood but he was never violent to people. The article discusses little on why he did what he did or it being generational, like having an abusive parent and hitting their own kids. The mini-documentary touched on it and that needs to be understood more. Saying that I never liked Malone as a person even when he was playing. He, like Barkley, seems like a person who is racist against black people. But I do respect his ability to play basketball and I didn't even know he reconciled with all his children which suggests growth. Remember Dr. J did the same thing with his daughter, we can't be selective on who we condemn or even if we have the right to condemn someone else.


None of that matters when you decide to have sex with a 13 year old girl when he was 17+. He should be in jail.


Is a 17 year-old having sex with a 13 year-old illegal? I don't think it is (and I'm sure it happens a lot in high schools as that's a grade 9 and grade 12 student).

But Malone was 20 in this case...


Its a grey area in the law atleast, while the legal age of consent is 16, people under the age of 16 can have sex with someone who is within 5 years of age, but i think that starts at the age of 14 anyway in Canada,

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-s-age-of-consent-raised-by-2-years-1.754941

PS- The spelling and grammar on this article were terrible, most posts on here are way better lol
User avatar
raptorstime
RealGM
Posts: 24,272
And1: 38,882
Joined: Dec 22, 2013
 

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#43 » by raptorstime » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:00 am

NASTY!!!!!
Image
Gianni13 wrote:
raptorstime wrote:gianni13 has no **** sources


Screenshot this quote.
User avatar
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,518
And1: 4,569
Joined: Nov 26, 2004
Location: TBD

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#44 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:05 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
FluLikeSymptoms wrote:I slide Larry Bird over to the PF spot and call him the best PF ever. He started at PF for years and played there a lot afterward. Malone sure did put up numbers, though.


You don't need to slide anyone over. Duncan and KG already have very strong cases over Malone for GOAT PF. You could even make a case for Dirk.

Sure, Duncan or Bird. They’re in a class above the other guys, each arguably the best in the league for several years. The other guys mentioned never were that.
User avatar
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 30,184
And1: 28,184
Joined: Jun 26, 2002

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#45 » by Double Helix » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:23 am

Malone has always been unlikable to me. This just added to it.

Anyone remember when Doug Gilmour had allegations like this? He ended up getting traded. Suit was dropped but many people still wonder.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1988/11/11/A-14-year-old-girl-and-her-parents-who-filed-a/1374595227600/
Image
User avatar
Steven1562
Analyst
Posts: 3,277
And1: 4,308
Joined: Jun 29, 2012
       

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#46 » by Steven1562 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:32 am

Malone has always been a jackass. The things he said about Magic when he was going through HIV/AIDS. Just disgusting for what Magic was going through.
Any time y'all wanna see me again
Rewind this track right here, close your eyes
and picture me rollin
User avatar
Raps in 4
RealGM
Posts: 42,536
And1: 28,041
Joined: Nov 01, 2008
Location: Toronto
 

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#47 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:16 am

FluLikeSymptoms wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
FluLikeSymptoms wrote:I slide Larry Bird over to the PF spot and call him the best PF ever. He started at PF for years and played there a lot afterward. Malone sure did put up numbers, though.


You don't need to slide anyone over. Duncan and KG already have very strong cases over Malone for GOAT PF. You could even make a case for Dirk.

Sure, Duncan or Bird. They’re in a class above the other guys, each arguably the best in the league for several years. The other guys mentioned never were that.


KG is statistically one of the best PFs of all time, if not the best. He just spent the majority of his career on a bad team.
User avatar
___Rand___
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,639
And1: 5,701
Joined: Feb 26, 2017
       

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#48 » by ___Rand___ » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:35 am

YogiStewart wrote:https://medium.com/@cross0328/karl-malone-the-scumbag-d7c91b0bf16c

Interesting read


That's kinda real old news. I'm surprised you hadn't heard of it.
Image
User avatar
J-Roc
RealGM
Posts: 32,428
And1: 6,440
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
       

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#49 » by J-Roc » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:59 am

Double Helix wrote:Malone has always been unlikable to me. This just added to it.

Anyone remember when Doug Gilmour had allegations like this? He ended up getting traded. Suit was dropped but many people still wonder.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1988/11/11/A-14-year-old-girl-and-her-parents-who-filed-a/1374595227600/


Wow there's a story I had never heard. Apparently she had diary entries that talked about him. She was the babysitter.

That girl is all grown up now. Wonder what she admits now. Does she still claim the story to be true, or did her parents put her up to it?
User avatar
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,518
And1: 4,569
Joined: Nov 26, 2004
Location: TBD

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#50 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:39 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
FluLikeSymptoms wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
You don't need to slide anyone over. Duncan and KG already have very strong cases over Malone for GOAT PF. You could even make a case for Dirk.

Sure, Duncan or Bird. They’re in a class above the other guys, each arguably the best in the league for several years. The other guys mentioned never were that.


KG is statistically one of the best PFs of all time, if not the best. He just spent the majority of his career on a bad team.

Statistically, KG was nice. But he was never actually on Duncan’s level and this was proved over about a decade. Same with Dirk, CWebb, Pau, any PF in that era of great PFs. HOF but clearly behind Timmy. And a lot of KG’s teams were good in the reg season but they sure got smacked in the playoffs a lot.
User avatar
dTox
RealGM
Posts: 12,569
And1: 10,647
Joined: Jan 26, 2007
Location: 416
   

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#51 » by dTox » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:48 pm

FluLikeSymptoms wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
FluLikeSymptoms wrote:Sure, Duncan or Bird. They’re in a class above the other guys, each arguably the best in the league for several years. The other guys mentioned never were that.


KG is statistically one of the best PFs of all time, if not the best. He just spent the majority of his career on a bad team.

Statistically, KG was nice. But he was never actually on Duncan’s level and this was proved over about a decade. Same with Dirk, CWebb, Pau, any PF in that era of great PFs. HOF but clearly behind Timmy. And a lot of KG’s teams were good in the reg season but they sure got smacked in the playoffs a lot.


And KG's stats tanked as soon as he was put on a contending team.
Image
TBZ for the win
User avatar
Dennis 37
Head Coach
Posts: 7,498
And1: 10,163
Joined: Feb 24, 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#52 » by Dennis 37 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:38 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
binjumper wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:This is an old story, I remember this and being shocked about it at first - maybe when Cheryl entered the WNBA. I also remember other NBA players talking about it too and a news report or mini-documentary on it. Someone said it was a transferring of what he went through to his children. His father denied his mother's existence and she raised a tribe of kids on her own and he did the same to his kids, deny their existence.

It's hard to judge without knowing the complete story and the article is not giving a ton of information. More sensationalist. What I remember was it was consensual but underage which is wrong. He was worried the parents were being gold-diggers which the article alludes to also. His perception of the world is sort of warped from his childhood but he was never violent to people. The article discusses little on why he did what he did or it being generational, like having an abusive parent and hitting their own kids. The mini-documentary touched on it and that needs to be understood more. Saying that I never liked Malone as a person even when he was playing. He, like Barkley, seems like a person who is racist against black people. But I do respect his ability to play basketball and I didn't even know he reconciled with all his children which suggests growth. Remember Dr. J did the same thing with his daughter, we can't be selective on who we condemn or even if we have the right to condemn someone else.


None of that matters when you decide to have sex with a 13 year old girl when he was 17+. He should be in jail.


Is a 17 year-old having sex with a 13 year-old illegal? I don't think it is (and I'm sure it happens a lot in high schools as that's a grade 9 and grade 12 student).

But Malone was 20 in this case...


In Canada a 14 or 15 year only would be OK. I stand corrected; a 13 year old may give legal consent to a 14 or 15 year old, but not to anyone older. https://ronellislaw.com/age-consent-canada/
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,902
And1: 3,333
Joined: Nov 28, 2005
   

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#53 » by Shaazzam » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:52 pm

I always considered Timmy a C.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
User avatar
OakleyDokely
RealGM
Posts: 14,133
And1: 32,549
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: 416
 

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#54 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:26 pm

Shaazzam wrote:I always considered Timmy a C.


Timmy's an interesting case. He was primarily a PF during the first half of his career but he was almost exclusively a C during the 2nd half of his career. Over his entire career, he spent more minutes at C than at a PF. But his best individual seasons came during the first half of his career when he was primarily a PF.
User avatar
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,518
And1: 4,569
Joined: Nov 26, 2004
Location: TBD

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#55 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:39 pm

Shaazzam wrote:I always considered Timmy a C.

Pretty fair. Even in his first 9 seasons when he was a PF he still played a bunch of C, and then he played C for his last 12 seasons. He was a big and the real conversation in the late 90s-mid aughts was/is Duncan vs Shaq. Dedicated Kobe and KG fans still keep up the chatter but Duncan and Shaq were the actual best players while others had successful campaigns, the way LeBron and KD have been the actual best players while others have had successful campaigns.

OakleyDokely wrote:
Shaazzam wrote:I always considered Timmy a C.


Timmy's an interesting case. He was primarily a PF during the first half of his career but he was almost exclusively a C during the 2nd half of his career. Over his entire career, he spent more minutes at C than at a PF. But his best individual seasons came during the first half of his career when he was primarily a PF.


True. His numbers after the move to C didn’t budge much, though.
User avatar
OakleyDokely
RealGM
Posts: 14,133
And1: 32,549
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: 416
 

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#56 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:49 pm

FluLikeSymptoms wrote:
Shaazzam wrote:I always considered Timmy a C.

Pretty fair. Even in his first 9 seasons when he was a PF he still played a bunch of C, and then he played C for his last 12 seasons. He was a big and the real conversation in the late 90s-mid aughts was/is Duncan vs Shaq. Dedicated Kobe and KG fans still keep up the chatter but Duncan and Shaq were the actual best players while others had successful campaigns, the way LeBron and KD have been the actual best players while others have had successful campaigns.

OakleyDokely wrote:
Shaazzam wrote:I always considered Timmy a C.


Timmy's an interesting case. He was primarily a PF during the first half of his career but he was almost exclusively a C during the 2nd half of his career. Over his entire career, he spent more minutes at C than at a PF. But his best individual seasons came during the first half of his career when he was primarily a PF.


True. His numbers after the move to C didn’t budge much, though.


Even in his last season as a 39 year old, he was well above average. The guy could've kept playing well into his 40s..
BigShaq34
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,421
And1: 2,366
Joined: Mar 16, 2018
 

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#57 » by BigShaq34 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:53 pm

Tell me something I don't know already. This has been known for years. Nothing new. I respect him as a player not as a person.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,902
And1: 3,333
Joined: Nov 28, 2005
   

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#58 » by Shaazzam » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:39 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
FluLikeSymptoms wrote:
Shaazzam wrote:I always considered Timmy a C.

Pretty fair. Even in his first 9 seasons when he was a PF he still played a bunch of C, and then he played C for his last 12 seasons. He was a big and the real conversation in the late 90s-mid aughts was/is Duncan vs Shaq. Dedicated Kobe and KG fans still keep up the chatter but Duncan and Shaq were the actual best players while others had successful campaigns, the way LeBron and KD have been the actual best players while others have had successful campaigns.

OakleyDokely wrote:
Timmy's an interesting case. He was primarily a PF during the first half of his career but he was almost exclusively a C during the 2nd half of his career. Over his entire career, he spent more minutes at C than at a PF. But his best individual seasons came during the first half of his career when he was primarily a PF.


True. His numbers after the move to C didn’t budge much, though.


Even in his last season as a 39 year old, he was well above average. The guy could've kept playing well into his 40s..

Even when he played with the Admiral I just considered them a team that went with 2 C's.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
agkagk
Senior
Posts: 545
And1: 371
Joined: Sep 03, 2011

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#59 » by agkagk » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:42 pm

Neither here nor there,

But I once saw a YouTube video on how Malone was the dirtiest player of all time.

There was a whole section on how we had the grip of a gorilla and would essentially pinch players that posted up on him— it was pretty hilarious watching the offensive player scream and writhe.

Wish I could find it. *shrugs*
will
RealGM
Posts: 14,643
And1: 10,706
Joined: Jan 08, 2006
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant
Contact:
         

Re: OT: Karl Malone, the Scumbag 

Post#60 » by will » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:29 pm

Mailman goin huntin'

This is old news though.

Return to Toronto Raptors