ImageImageImageImageImage

KenyaCitizenTV: One on One w/ Masai Ujiri (1hr Interview!)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,158

Re: KenyaCitizenTV: One on One w/ Masai Ujiri (1hr Interview!) 

Post#21 » by xAIRNESSx » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:28 am

Masai is the one who we should build a statue of.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,128

Post#22 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:19 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:I note that Masai included OG in his list of African Raptors. OG of course was born in London. And for that matter, Giannis was born in Athens.

Of course Masai wants Africans to "believe in their continent, believe in themselves", and will talk up their contributions to the game. But he should be more careful with his terminology. This is the kind of thinking that lead Canada and the US to round up all citizens of Japanese ancestry after Pearl Harbor.

They are of African descent. There is nothing incorrect about what he said.

Agreed. But so is Kyle Lowry. Why didn't Masai mention Kyle, or Kobe Bryant?

Raps in 4 wrote:If anything, it cements his point that Africa is doing a bad job of developing players. It takes someone leaving their home country to become a basketball player.

Africa didn't fail OG or Giannis (or Kyle or Kobe). They weren't born there and never lived there.

Raps in 4 wrote:I'm an immigrant who grew up in Canada, but I still identify with my native heritage as much as I do my Canadian identity.

Different situation. You were born there and now live here. Actually it's closer to the OG situation, in the sense that he was born in the UK but was moved to the US when he was 3 years old. He still is claimed by the Brits, tho'. This is from an interview entitled: "From London to Toronto: How OG Anunoby Became the New Face of UK Basketball"

Q: Canadians and Canadian basketball is getting better and better now, with two of the four last first draft picks being Canadian. Do you think British basketball can follow that sort of precedent?

OG: I think they can. These are my people here. In the next 10-15 years, as more people start playing, I think British basketball players can definitely reach that level.

https://versus.uk.com/2018/07/og-anunoby-toronto-raptors-interview/

Also from the interview, OG supports Arsenal. And a ton of US and UK rappers. Nothing about Africa. Whereas:

Antetokounmpo said he also got his Nigerian passport in 2015.

When asked why he acquired a Nigerian passport, Antetokounmpo answered, “It’s important. It’s part of who I am. Both of my parents are Nigerian. They wanted me to get it. I wanted to have it, so I got it.”

“The Greek Freak” said during the recent NBA All-Star Weekend that he loves his nickname and it’s “a part of who I am right now.” But he also told The Undefeated that he is much more than just “The Greek Freak” by strongly stating he is also a proud African.

“There are a lot of people that I see and I tell them that I am African. I am not just ‘The Greek Freak,’ ” Antetokounmpo said.

https://theundefeated.com/features/bucks-giannis-antetokounmpo-greek-freak-wants-to-go-back-to-his-nigerian-roots/

OG and clearly Giannis may treasure their African heritage, just as many black Americans - aka African-Americans - do. But that doesn't make them "African" basketballers, which is what Masai is talking about. Africa never had a chance to develop them as basketball players. Conversations about African basketball should not mention OG or Giannis, or any American born player who happens to strongly identify with his or her African roots (I'm sure there are some).

Raps in 4 wrote:It would only be problematic if Masai was British or Greek and called OG or Giannis African (implying they don't belong in those countries). But Masai has nothing to do with the UK or Greece.

I'm glad you at least agree that the sentiment is problematic. We just disagree on whether it's better that an African-born person says it. It's been suggested that OG and Giannis must have given their approval for Masai to talk like that. Maybe so, but we don't know that. And again, even that suggestion is confirmation that the sentiment itself is problematic. To circle back to my original point, it's dangerous to label someone as being a different nationality based purely on their ethnic heritage. Giannis has clearly chosen to accept or take on an African identity and passport, but that's an individual decision.

Masai shouldn't even be allowed to talk to or about Giannis at all. Everyone knows we'll be pursuing him in 2021. I think what really bothered me was the vehemence with which Masai announced that Giannis was African in his end-of-year press conference. The NBA could easily have levied a $50,000 fine on Masai for tampering. It would have been better if he had said that "Giannis has said in interviews that in his 20s he adopted an African identity". But then, what would be the point of that? This is more like Canadian basketball taking credit for Matt Bonner.
olu
Sixth Man
And1: 229

Post#23 » by olu » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:10 pm

I believe Giannis was actually born in Nigeria and his family moved to Greece after. You may need to check your facts. OG has dual citizenship and he is actually more Nigerian than brit if you ask me. If you know you know
Never read the quoran or islamic scriptures, the only psalms i read is on the arms of my brothers
olu
Sixth Man
And1: 229

Post#24 » by olu » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:12 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:I note that Masai included OG in his list of African Raptors. OG of course was born in London. And for that matter, Giannis was born in Athens.

Of course Masai wants Africans to "believe in their continent, believe in themselves", and will talk up their contributions to the game. But he should be more careful with his terminology. This is the kind of thinking that lead Canada and the US to round up all citizens of Japanese ancestry after Pearl Harbor.

Raps in 4 wrote:If anything, it cements his point that Africa is doing a bad job of developing players. It takes someone leaving their home country to become a basketball player.

Africa didn't fail OG or Giannis (or Kyle or Kobe). They weren't born there and never lived there.

Raps in 4 wrote:I'm an immigrant who grew up in Canada, but I still identify with my native heritage as much as I do my Canadian identity.

Different situation. You were born there and now live here. Actually it's closer to the OG situation, in the sense that he was born in the UK but was moved to the US when he was 3 years old. He still is claimed by the Brits, tho'. This is from an interview entitled: "From London to Toronto: How OG Anunoby Became the New Face of UK Basketball"

Q: Canadians and Canadian basketball is getting better and better now, with two of the four last first draft picks being Canadian. Do you think British basketball can follow that sort of precedent?

OG: I think they can. These are my people here. In the next 10-15 years, as more people start playing, I think British basketball players can definitely reach that level.

Also from the interview, OG supports Arsenal. And a ton of US and UK rappers. Nothing about Africa. Whereas:

When asked why he acquired a Nigerian passport, Antetokounmpo answered, “It’s important. It’s part of who I am. Both of my parents are Nigerian. They wanted me to get it. I wanted to have it, so I got it.”

“The Greek Freak” said during the recent NBA All-Star Weekend that he loves his nickname and it’s “a part of who I am right now.” But he also told The Undefeated that he is much more than just “The Greek Freak” by strongly stating he is also a proud African.

“There are a lot of people that I see and I tell them that I am African. I am not just ‘The Greek Freak,’ ” Antetokounmpo said.

https://theundefeated.com/features/bucks-giannis-antetokounmpo-greek-freak-wants-to-go-back-to-his-nigerian-roots/

OG and clearly Giannis may treasure their African heritage, just as many black Americans - aka African-Americans - do. But that doesn't make them "African" basketballers, which is what Masai is talking about. Africa never had a chance to develop them as basketball players. Conversations about African basketball should not mention OG or Giannis, or any American born player who happens to strongly identify with his or her African roots (I'm sure there are some).

Raps in 4 wrote:It would only be problematic if Masai was British or Greek and called OG or Giannis African (implying they don't belong in those countries). But Masai has nothing to do with the UK or Greece.

I'm glad you at least agree that the sentiment is problematic. We just disagree on whether it's better that an African-born person says it. It's been suggested that OG and Giannis must have given their approval for Masai to talk like that. Maybe so, but we don't know that. And again, even that suggestion is confirmation that the sentiment itself is problematic. To circle back to my original point, it's dangerous to label someone as being a different nationality based purely on their ethnic heritage. Giannis has clearly chosen to accept or take on an African identity and passport, but that's an individual decision.

Masai shouldn't even be allowed to talk to or about Giannis at all. Everyone knows we'll be pursuing him in 2021. I think what really bothered me was the vehemence with which Masai announced that Giannis was African in his end-of-year press conference. The NBA could easily have levied a $50,000 fine on Masai for tampering. It would have been better if he had said that "Giannis has said in interviews that in his 20s he adopted an African identity". But then, what would be the point of that? This is more like Canadian basketball taking credit for Matt Bonner.

Masai's reference to Giannis during the end of year presser had nothing to do with the admiration of the player. He was talking as an ambassador of the game through his Giants of Africa program. Referencing African players that have come through the GoA should not be equated to tampering
Never read the quoran or islamic scriptures, the only psalms i read is on the arms of my brothers
Raptaz
Starter
And1: 2,400

Post#25 » by Raptaz » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:45 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
team edward wrote:
Both giannis and OG were born to African immigrant parents. OG has retained Nigerian citizenship. Giannis would have had to surrender non-Greek citizenship to obtain Greek citizenship. In Canada, birthright citizenship exists, and citizenship is non-exclusive. Not the case in other countries so don’t conflate “place of birth” with “citizenship” and “ethnicity”.

Je conflate rien. Masai referred to two guys - neither of whom were born in Africa or played in Africa and who play for (or in OG's case could play for) the National Teams of the European countries they were born in - as "African". And in Giannis's case, Masai has done this at least twice - including at his end of year presser.

Is "African" a race? Is Steve Nash African? How much more African is OG than Kyle Lowry? Is it a "culture". I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that neither OG or Giannis are culturally African. Of course, OG apparently dealt with his father's burial in a traditional African way. But that was because his dad was born and raised in Africa. And if being Nigerian is all about having the right document well, I don't think a paper trail is what Masai was bragging about. A similar piece of paper says that Serge is Spanish, but it wasn't the Spanish flag he was waving at the parade.

Too much confusion. And you offer no relief.

you clearly didn't see the Instagram video of serge and OG clearly dancing and singing clearly an African song by an African artist , this alone should just end your weak narrative.

Og and serve clearly has deep rooted connection and pride. Their parents clearly had influence culturally .

Enjoy summer !
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,516

Post#26 » by mtcan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:11 pm

Ogugua and his brother Chigbo Anunoby...obviously very strong British names. :lol:

My parents are also immigrants to Canada...and despite the fact that I was born here...I don't identify necessarily as purely Canadian.

It isn't a binary thing when you are the child of immigrant parents...you can identify as both a citizen of the country you live in or are born into...and your own ethnic heritage. I observe the same customs and speak the language of my parents but I honestly can't say that my own children and their children will feel the same way because in each generation, the culture of the parents and parents' parents is diluted a bit more.

And as for Giannis and OG...they may not citizens of African nations but you can be damn sure their parents are reminding them of their Nigerian culture, customs and roots.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,639

Post#27 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:41 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Being a first generation immigrant, or born to first generation immigrants is very different from being an American with foreign origins dating back multiple generations.
SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,820

Post#28 » by SaveTheHens » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:11 am

That's a little extreme... If these players parents are direct immigrants and celebrate their culture or go visit family back in their 'home' country than they are part of that culture, even though they're still part of their birthplace culture too. If I were Nigerian I would be proud of Giannis regarldess of what his official citizenship was.
SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,820

Post#29 » by SaveTheHens » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:14 am

Niagara wrote:Listening to Masai talk makes me feel like I'm getting smarter. wtf.

He's a great influence man. Just like Kawhi Leonard was (regardless of his decision, just his 'aura', or the way he acted basically), just like even Kyle Lowry or Time Leiweke was. These guys are movers of society, they aren't superhuman, they did it with similar skillsets albeit different circumstances and in some cases freakishly long hands. But they make the best of it and we're blessed in Toronto to have these people to listen to and cheer for and learn from.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,128

Post#30 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:49 am

SaveTheHens wrote:

That's a little extreme... If these players parents are direct immigrants and celebrate their culture or go visit family back in their 'home' country than they are part of that culture, even though they're still part of their birthplace culture too. If I were Nigerian I would be proud of Giannis regarldess of what his official citizenship was.

OK, I'm going to take one more swing at this and then give it a rest. This is a basketball forum. We're talking basketball. Masai was talking basketball in the interview. In purely basketball terms, the development of OG and Giannis (as with Kyle Lowry) has ZERO to do with African basketball. They do not represent the success of any African basketball program, or failure for not developing them and losing them to Europe. They NEVER lived in Africa. Masai is simply exaggerating to make the success of African players in the NBA seem more impressive than it is (yet).

I worship Masai like a god. I have no doubt that there will be many more actual successes in Africa down the road as a result of his leadership. But he should knock off invoking OG and Giannis as in any way representative of African basketball. Let it stand on its own terms.

[edited to add] Giannis and OG can be as proud of their African roots as they want. But that has nothing to do with the successes or failures or potential of basketball development in Africa. They're two entirely unrelated concepts.
Iamtheliquor
Rookie
And1: 1,176

Post#31 » by Iamtheliquor » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:01 am

Finally finished watching this in full. A great interview and very inspiration! Masai really shows us what can happen when you dream big and just go out there and do things. Some valuable life lessons in this.
omar36
Analyst
And1: 4,708

Post#32 » by omar36 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:56 am

Raps in 4 wrote:

They are of African descent. There is nothing incorrect about what he said. If anything, it cements his point that Africa is doing a bad job of developing players. It takes someone leaving their home country to become a basketball player.

I'm an immigrant who grew up in Canada, but I still identify with my native heritage as much as I do my Canadian identity.

It would only be problematic if Masai was British or Greek and called OG or Giannis African (implying they don't belong in those countries). But Masai has nothing to do with the UK or Greece.

as you should, we arent america. Canada has always (ideally anyways) been about accepting everyone and allowing them to represent their heritage. thats what makes this country great. Yeah OP talks about the Japanese incident but that was back then. back when segregation was still real and residential schools were thriving. we as a country made mistakes, the government has acknowledged it and lets hope it heals those it hurt.

this idea that OG and giannis arent africans is up to you to decide. they can feel whatever they want to. Maybe they mentioned it to masai, i mean he has a legitimate relationship with em.

also check out this article, its about giannis and his upbringing. He is very much proud of his Nigerian roots

I love this country and am proud to be canadian and i am also proud of being a child of immigrants from a different country. I have dual citizenship and i wouldn't have it another way :D
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,893

Post#33 » by fbalmeida » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:40 am

A few thoughts occur, having heard this interview, and having just watched Ibaka's latest youtube video.

In addition to the benefit these initiatives deliver to African countries, there is an obvious genius to this international outreach from our perspective. It plugs in our beloved Toronto Raptors to a pipeline of attention in a continent of over 1 billion people. Masai's work in Africa, in tandem with our championship (and future championships), roots our position in the imagination of an entire generation.

With Masai, Ibaka, Siakam, and OG, we're only scratching the surface.

Of course Masai would be doing this, and spending his summers in the exact same way, if he was with any other team. We're just extraordinary lucky to have him.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021

Return to Toronto Raptors