ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors a lock for Canadian sports story of the year?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,802

Re: Raptors a lock for Canadian sports story of the year? 

Post#21 » by Quattro » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:05 pm

Mattd97 wrote:
Quattro wrote:
GED Education wrote:At first I think it's a no brainer as there really hasn't been anything to rival the championship.

However....

If Bianca Andreescu wins the US Open, I think that's the story of the year. This was debated today on sports radio. What are your thoughts on that?

Tough call. Obviously I'd go with the Raptors but Canada has never had a major winner in tennis and this kid legit looks like she is going to dominate the women's game for years to come.

Not really the way women's tennis usually works. Outside of serena no one has really dominated for lengthy periods. And let's not forget Bouchard reaching even higher highs (major wise anyways) before dropping off entirely

Also, as much as its annoying that hockey players win the lou marsh every year, you cant rightfully give the award to the 20th best tennis player in the world, or an all star pitcher despite their ages and impressive years when we have the best hockey players in the world. I get global game vs more regional, but unless you've got de grasse winning Olympic medals, Steve nash winning MVPs, gagne winning the cy young, it's just not likely to happen. You need to be fighting to be the best in the world, cause that's what the Crosby's and McDavids are doing

It is actually the way women's tennis has worked for a long time. Navratilova-->Graf-->Seles (before that A-hole stabbed her and ruined her career)--> Williams sisters--->Serena.

There's always an alpha dog in the women's game. Andreescu is 19 years old and is already dominating what is currently a weak field headed by an over the hill Serena. I don't see anyone else in the game today that has anything close to her level of game.

As for Bouchard, that was a flash in the pan. Even in her good year, she was nowhere close to as dominant as Andreescu has been this year. Bouchard's best year, she was 39-22 and won 1 title. Andreescu's record, particularly this season, has been far far more impressive than Bouchard was at her peak. The door is wide open for her to take over the women's game is she continues on her career trajectory.
Jef
Sixth Man
And1: 3,405

Post#22 » by Jef » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:01 pm

Look, I loves me some Bianca and stayed up late last night to watch her - she's a force.
But y'all are severely overlooking Brooke Henderson. Aside from being a cutie-patootie, she has won twice this year, broken the record for most titles by a Canadian golfer, and she is still only 21. Of course, becuase she won it last year, that will count against her.
Well, I can't really argue against Bianca, though. She's a sick athlete, and will be Number One in the future if her shoulder holds up.
Norman Powell, after Game 5 Pacers dunk: "That's Norman Powell!"
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#23 » by Mattd97 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:04 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:
Mattd97 wrote:I get global game vs more regional, but unless you've got de grasse winning Olympic medals, Steve nash winning MVPs, gagne winning the cy young, it's just not likely to happen. You need to be fighting to be the best in the world, cause that's what the Crosby's and McDavids are doing

at the age of 19, Bianca is (as of today) the 10th ranked tennis player in the world. not sure how you can deny this kind of accomplishment.

In a far more global sport than hockey. We can talk about excellence in a major sport (basketball, soccer, etc.) vs. something more niche like skiing, but tennis is not a niche sport. While it was unfortunate how it went down Bianca was about to take her shot at beating Serena at the Rogers' Cup. It's not her fault how it went down. The Crosby's and the McDavids by comparison are doing a thing that is quite a lot more regional.

When did I minimize her accomplishments? Lou marsh is separated by gender I think, or at least my post assumed that. Shes the obvious choice for female athlete of the year if she wins the us open.
I was comparing the NHL guys to Male athletes. And historically you need to be a Olympian in a Olympic year, or be in the mix for best in the world at your sport (Lennox Lewis, gsp, Steve nash, etc)
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,140

Post#24 » by gp2015 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:06 pm

Quattro wrote:
Mattd97 wrote:
Quattro wrote:
Tough call. Obviously I'd go with the Raptors but Canada has never had a major winner in tennis and this kid legit looks like she is going to dominate the women's game for years to come.

Not really the way women's tennis usually works. Outside of serena no one has really dominated for lengthy periods. And let's not forget Bouchard reaching even higher highs (major wise anyways) before dropping off entirely

Also, as much as its annoying that hockey players win the lou marsh every year, you cant rightfully give the award to the 20th best tennis player in the world, or an all star pitcher despite their ages and impressive years when we have the best hockey players in the world. I get global game vs more regional, but unless you've got de grasse winning Olympic medals, Steve nash winning MVPs, gagne winning the cy young, it's just not likely to happen. You need to be fighting to be the best in the world, cause that's what the Crosby's and McDavids are doing

It is actually the way women's tennis has worked for a long time. Navratilova-->Graf-->Seles (before that A-hole stabbed her and ruined her career)--> Williams sisters--->Serena.

There's always an alpha dog in the women's game. Andreescu is 19 years old and is already dominating what is currently a weak field headed by an over the hill Serena. I don't see anyone else in the game today that has anything close to her level of game.

As for Bouchard, that was a flash in the pan. Even in her good year, she was nowhere close to as dominant as Andreescu has been this year. Bouchard's best year, she was 39-22 and won 1 title. Andreescu's record, particularly this season, has been far far more impressive than Bouchard was at her peak. The door is wide open for her to take over the women's game is she continues on her career trajectory.

At the same time, she hasn't even won a major yet and some people are already assuming she will dominate women's tennis for many years to come. Serena is still a beast in major finals so it's up in the air whether Bianca can even win the US Open. Also, there are so many younger women tennis players that are coming up every year that may have similar potential as her so it's too early to tell. Even though what she's done is really impressive so far, let's wait until she wins a few majors tournaments before anointing her the new queen of women's tennis.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#25 » by Mattd97 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:21 pm

Quattro wrote:
Mattd97 wrote:
Quattro wrote:

Granted I've only bee following tennis for the past handful of years, I wasnt around for those earlier names. But in the past 10 or so years the WTA number 1 has been Ivanovic Jankovic serena Jankovic serena safina serena safina serena Wozniacki clijsters Wozniacki Azarenka Sharapova Azarenka serena kerber serena kerber serena kerber pliskova muguruza halep Wozniacki
Halep Osaka Barty osaka.

14 names in just over 10 years. Since that same time the mens has had Djokovic Nadal's Federer and once Andy Murray. I know other things go in to being number 1, serena was likely the best that whole time. But seems much volatile lately than the mens
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
mulamutti
Pro Prospect
And1: 775

Post#26 » by mulamutti » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:28 pm

It should be lock for sports story of the decade. No story is more compelling for the growth of a sport in canada.
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,802

Post#27 » by Quattro » Tue Sep 3, 2019 6:21 pm

Mattd97 wrote:
Quattro wrote:
Mattd97 wrote:

Granted I've only bee following tennis for the past handful of years, I wasnt around for those earlier names. But in the past 10 or so years the WTA number 1 has been Ivanovic Jankovic serena Jankovic serena safina serena safina serena Wozniacki clijsters Wozniacki Azarenka Sharapova Azarenka serena kerber serena kerber serena kerber pliskova muguruza halep Wozniacki
Halep Osaka Barty osaka.

14 names in just over 10 years. Since that same time the mens has had Djokovic Nadal's Federer and once Andy Murray. I know other things go in to being number 1, serena was likely the best that whole time. But seems much volatile lately than the mens

I don't think ranking is the best way of looking at it though. Serena Williams has dominated women's tennis in the same way Graf and Navratilova did during her career. By the time she retires, it's very likely she will hold the record for most major's won which is all anyone really cares about after all. Other than Henin and perhaps Clijsters when they were at the top of their games, nobody has really challenged her reign as the best in the sport.

What we've seen with the men's game is totally unprecedented. I looked it up and since 2004, there have been a total of 10 majors won by someone other than Federer, Nadal or Djokovich. 10 out of 63. Truly an insane level of dominance by those three especially considering that all three of them are still completely dominating the men's game well into their 30's. I doubt we'll ever see an era like this again in tennis with possibly the three greatest players to ever play in their primes at the same time. Will be a sad day when they finally retire.

Anyway, back on topic, I think Andreescu is a great story and hope she can pull off the US open but I agree with most here that the Raps are the bigger story. What they did was quite possibly a once in a lifetime thing whereas we're looking at just the start of what is likely a bright young career of a 19 year old.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,133

Post#28 » by duppyy » Tue Sep 3, 2019 6:30 pm

Remember when Mike Weir won Masters and how it pushed the "sport" of golf in Canada and caused a new generation of Canadians becoming pro golfers? Yeah that didn't happen. Won't happen with Bianca and Tennis and won't happen with that other girl and golf.

Raptors made people fall in love with basketball even when we sucked. Now that we won that will make it expand even more.

If raptors are not a lock for sports story of the year it would be a travesty.

And let's be honest, US Open ain't Wimbledon.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#29 » by JN » Tue Sep 3, 2019 6:36 pm

The Raptors winning the NBA title is no doubt the Canadian story of the year. Bianca winning the US open would be big but it would not capture the nation like the Raptors did.

I heard on the radio this morning that part of the reason that we had a higher GDP as a country in Q2, was the Raptors winning the NBA title. It generated a bunch of spending in our economy.
DIEHARD_005
Starter
And1: 902

Post#30 » by DIEHARD_005 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 6:46 pm

On TSN Year in Review:

1.) WJHC from 2018 (cuz it aired before the tourney ended)
2.) WJHC for 2019 (the round robin portion, ofc followed by the tourney recap being #1 next year)
3.) Failure of the Leafs
4.) Leafs Rebuild
5.) No more EPL on TSN (this actually sucks btw)

10.) No Americans want to play in Toronto

Honourable mention: Raps advance to the NBA finals

On Sportsnet's equivilent of the TSN Top 10:

1.) Leafs were so good that they let Boston win another playoff series, so that when we face them again over the next three years and finally win in 2021, it will feel great!
2.) Kyle Dubas is still a wiz kid
3.) Recaps of all 46 Leaf wins, because each one was critical to their 100 point season
4.) Stanley Cup finals ratings kinda sucked this year in Canada - why?!?!?!
5.) A new arena being Built in Bobcageon Ontario and where the next hometown hockey series will be shot

10.) Tim and Sid lose their minds after Raptors win NBA title

OFC this is all in good fun, if we don't actually have at least a couple top moments on the Canadian years in review this holiday season it would be a disgrace.
EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,945

Post#31 » by EH15 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:46 pm

If Bibi wins, especially over Serena, at 19, in her very first US Open, it would be monumental. The first Canadian man or woman to win a tennis Grand Slam. It's not even a competition. Who cares which is the bigger story. Just enjoy the moment.
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 972

Post#32 » by Mascot » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:54 pm

Bianca Andreescu is going to get it probably, no matter what the Raptors did.
EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,945

Post#33 » by EH15 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 8:01 pm

And even legends like V. Williams (7), Henin (7), Hingis (5), Sharapova (5) don't have a prodigious amount compared to what we've seen from Serena and the men's triumvirate. Then you have Hall of Famers like with Kerber with 3 and Azarenka/Li Na with 2. Point being, don't take for granted what we could witness Saturday (fingers crossed). It would be an amazing moment for Canada. If she can keep her head on right, her and Osaka could elevate women's tennis to the next level. Fire and Ice. WTA's own Federer v. Nadal.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,888

Post#34 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:34 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:
Mattd97 wrote:I get global game vs more regional, but unless you've got de grasse winning Olympic medals, Steve nash winning MVPs, gagne winning the cy young, it's just not likely to happen. You need to be fighting to be the best in the world, cause that's what the Crosby's and McDavids are doing

at the age of 19, Bianca is (as of today) the 10th ranked tennis player in the world. not sure how you can deny this kind of accomplishment.

In a far more global sport than hockey. We can talk about excellence in a major sport (basketball, soccer, etc.) vs. something more niche like skiing, but tennis is not a niche sport. While it was unfortunate how it went down Bianca was about to take her shot at beating Serena at the Rogers' Cup. It's not her fault how it went down. The Crosby's and the McDavids by comparison are doing a thing that is quite a lot more regional.

Skiing is not a niche sport in Europe it is like Formula One.
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,410

Post#35 » by And1+2 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:39 pm

Raptor's winning the finals is by far the largest headline. It is not even close. Who ever thought we would EVER win? Nobody.

Masai literally took and won the jackpot on the biggest gamble in professional sports history. Crazier **** couldn't be made up. One day there will be a movie made about this season, and it will be glorious.
idonk
Junior
And1: 245

Post#36 » by idonk » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:23 am

bianca will win it IF she Takes the us open. she's canadian.

Sent from my SM-A705MN using RealGM mobile app
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#37 » by Courtside » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:34 am

idonk wrote:bianca will win it IF she Takes the us open. she's canadian.

Sent from my SM-A705MN using RealGM mobile app

Will there be viewing parties in stadiums and arenas and downtowns and bars across the entire country?
Will two million people show up for her parade, making it the biggest sports gathering in Canadian history?

Props to Bianca - her success is a very big deal - but it just isn't a sweeping national story like the Raptors were.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#38 » by kalel123 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:25 am

Raptors should be a lock.

But I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get picked. Canadian media has a tendency to find new ways to F it up.
TheRealDeal
RealGM
And1: 11,821

Post#39 » by TheRealDeal » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:27 am

The recency bias is strong in this thread
AreBe
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,472

Post#40 » by AreBe » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:51 am

Too many puck heads.
Holy Moses! Take a look! Flesh decayed in every nook! Some rare bits of brain lie here, Mortal loads of beef and beer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_McKittrick_Ros

Return to Toronto Raptors