ImageImageImageImageImage

15 Weird NBA Rules

pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Re: 15 Weird NBA Rules 

Post#21 » by pkiskool » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Pass leading to someone going to the line should be an assist (regardless of free throw made or not).
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#22 » by lolwut » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:01 pm

pkiskool wrote:Pass leading to someone going to the line should be an assist (regardless of free throw made or not).

What if the opposing team is intentionally fouling to send someone to the line? It gets murky in that situation.
2023-2024 FatherTrackerâ„¢ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
almatic
Veteran
And1: 1,713

Post#23 » by almatic » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:09 am

11 is no longer a rule

Damian Lillard wore #0 while Enes Kanter wore #00 for the Blazers just this past season.
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#24 » by Vlade Divac » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Seriously no complaints on NBA rules after spending 10 days watching FIBA world cup extensively. Their rules are absolutely ridiculous (and I am not talking about clearing the ball on the rim after free throws). The plays they call illegal fouls (with two fouls and the ball) is really comical. Or the play (from today's game US vs Serbia) where Serbian center was called a foul while trying to stop put-back and while at it was called illegal second and as a result US got 4 free throws and a ball?!?!
Darkseid
Analyst
And1: 3,392

Post#25 » by Darkseid » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:41 pm

siakamthemvp wrote:I think making jokes about death is inappropriate. Even if it's not remotely serious. Even the 'sign 5 homeless guys' - they are still people just like these multimillionaire basketball players

Buzz McKillington alert
mathgeek
Junior
And1: 136

Post#26 » by mathgeek » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:57 am

Always thought about this. Is it legal play when you are inbounding the ball and throw it off the ground and it goes in?
pkiskool
Assistant Coach

Post#27 » by pkiskool » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:36 pm

lolwut wrote:
pkiskool wrote:Pass leading to someone going to the line should be an assist (regardless of free throw made or not).

What if the opposing team is intentionally fouling to send someone to the line? It gets murky in that situation.

It works the same way as regular assist rule - you only get the credit when the scorer picks up the ball only once (i.e. if he dribbles more than once, it's not assisted).
If someone intentionally fouls someone to stop the clock at half court, there is no assist.
If someone intentionally fouls someone driving to the lane for a layup, that should be an assist because without the foul, there would have been a basketball.
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#28 » by lolwut » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:32 pm

pkiskool wrote:
lolwut wrote:

It works the same way as regular assist rule - you only get the credit when the scorer picks up the ball only once (i.e. if he dribbles more than once, it's not assisted).
If someone intentionally fouls someone to stop the clock at half court, there is no assist.
If someone intentionally fouls someone driving to the lane for a layup, that should be an assist because without the foul, there would have been a basketball.

I know how it would work. What I'm contesting is the merit of giving out assists in such situations. Is it really deserving of an assist if the other team is intentionally fouling?
2023-2024 FatherTrackerâ„¢ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
pkiskool
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by pkiskool » Fri Oct 4, 2019 5:47 pm

lolwut wrote:
pkiskool wrote:
lolwut wrote:What if the opposing team is intentionally fouling to send someone to the line? It gets murky in that situation.

I know how it would work. What I'm contesting is the merit of giving out assists in such situations. Is it really deserving of an assist if the other team is intentionally fouling?

Yes, because it created an opportunity for points to be put up on the board. That's the definition of assist.

Return to Toronto Raptors