ImageImageImageImageImage

1 year ago today, Kawhi said he was a "fun guy" & did the iconic laugh.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

gpoon
Pro Prospect
And1: 717

Re: 1 year ago today, Kawhi said he was a "fun guy" & did the iconic laugh. 

Post#21 » by gpoon » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:24 pm

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he'd stay. And like that, poof. He's gone.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,646

Post#22 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:43 pm

I miss that guy already. One thing that kinda hurts, in his Clipper media sessions he seems more relaxed, and somehow speaks more authoritatively, like he has assumed leadership of that team, and he is home, etc. He was a great teammate here, did everything you could ask, never acted like he had one foot out the door - but still somehow he appears different now,more relaxed, less guarded.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#23 » by J-Roc » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:52 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:I miss that guy already. One thing that kinda hurts, in his Clipper media sessions he seems more relaxed, and somehow speaks more authoritatively, like he has assumed leadership of that team, and he is home, etc. He was a great teammate here, did everything you could ask, never acted like he had one foot out the door - but still somehow he appears different now,more relaxed, less guarded.

Because he did always act like he had one foot out the door.
DIEHARD_005
Starter
And1: 902

Post#24 » by DIEHARD_005 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:21 pm

In hindsight the writing was always on the wall - we were all naive for thinking he would stay. He was cold and at least to me, never seemed to warm up to the city or the base. The first time it seemed that he was warming up was when he appeared on How Hungry Are You with Serge - but even then, he seemed uncomfortable. Even in his post ship interviews he would reference "them" or "they" rather than saying "us" or "we" when talking about the team or this city.

Yes, nobody can deny he gave it 209109% in the playoffs, but by then he knew he was playing for his own legacy rather than for this team - its just fortunate that the goals for the team and for him personally were aligned.
ReggieSlater
Starter
And1: 873

Post#25 » by ReggieSlater » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:29 pm

J-Roc wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:I miss that guy already. One thing that kinda hurts, in his Clipper media sessions he seems more relaxed, and somehow speaks more authoritatively, like he has assumed leadership of that team, and he is home, etc. He was a great teammate here, did everything you could ask, never acted like he had one foot out the door - but still somehow he appears different now,more relaxed, less guarded.

All I know for sure is his feet were standing on that parade bus with the rest of the team.
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,920

Post#26 » by Senbonzakura » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:34 pm

Ball.
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Post#27 » by SHFT » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:35 pm

DIEHARD_005 wrote:In hindsight the writing was always on the wall - we were all naive for thinking he would stay. He was cold and at least to me, never seemed to warm up to the city or the base. The first time it seemed that he was warming up was when he appeared on How Hungry Are You with Serge - but even then, he seemed uncomfortable. Even in his post ship interviews he would reference "them" or "they" rather than saying "us" or "we" when talking about the team or this city.

Yes, nobody can deny he gave it 209109% in the playoffs, but by then he knew he was playing for his own legacy rather than for this team - its just fortunate that the goals for the team and for him personally were aligned.

Thats extremely harsh and based on nothing at all. If you wanted him to publicly rep the team and city in his own time, you were setting yourself up for disappointment. You admit that he put it all on the line in the playoffs...what else were you expecting from him?

Goals like winning a ship SHOULD be the same for the team and the individual its not a case of fortune. And what else do you expect a guy to play for other than his legacy (besides money)? The teams legacy? That makes no sense.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,155

Post#28 » by PoundTown » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:48 pm

Best basketball player on earth. His celebration of the championship seemed sincere to me. He is a competitor and everything seems to indicate he really got along with and enjoyed everyone in that locker room and was a professional but knew there was little chance he was coming back. I think We went from “no chance in hell am i resigning” to a fall back option on a short term deal if things in LA couldn’t work. Interesting that he kind of spent some time here w his girlfriend going to jays game and what not when he could have bolted. I mean I knew he had some loose ends to take care of but also seemed like a guy wanting to take in a city he liked and will always be fond of with great memories although it’s ultimately not going to be home. Came back again for caribana.
load management
Analyst
And1: 1,871

Post#29 » by load management » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:30 pm

Who?
**** the Tony Brothers
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,390

Post#30 » by Mikistan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:39 pm

load management wrote:Who?

Load management the real mvp, without our Alex Mckenie and the Raptors health staff we would be out in 2nd round no doubt no doubt
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#31 » by Psubs » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:11 pm

Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,762

Post#32 » by Basketball_Jones » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:33 am

J-Roc wrote:

Combination of both. He kind of got his mojo back as well.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,529

Post#33 » by SFour » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:51 am

maybe winning the championship is the reason he's more relaxed.....it seems like all of the Raptors that were apart of the championship run are a lot more relaxed now, not just Kawhi. You can see it in Lowry, Siakam, Powell, FVV etc.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,646

Post#34 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:17 am

SFour wrote:

maybe winning the championship is the reason he's more relaxed.....it seems like all of the Raptors that were apart of the championship run are a lot more relaxed now, not just Kawhi. You can see it in Lowry, Siakam, Powell, FVV etc.

Well but he already won one before. I do think his relief is knowing he proved he was fully back from his injury, along with now being "home."
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#35 » by J-Roc » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:27 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:
J-Roc wrote:

Combination of both. He kind of got his mojo back as well.

I don't mean it as a knock on him. But all last year we as fans wanted to believe he wanted to be here. Not just last year, per his contract, but long term. Now that it was clear he wanted to go to LA the whole time, there's nothing wrong with admitting that the way he acted the whole time was like a guy who didn't want to commit long term. He knew he'd most likely be leaving. And he already seems like a happier guy, so it's not like he acts the same way in LA. It's cool. He was our Roger Clemens. Hard to believe one of the GOAT's played for us. And we won. But don't expect him to spend his retirement years visiting town and acting like he feels at home here.
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,255

Post#36 » by SurgeIblocka » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:37 pm

I have come to grips with Kawhi leaving and I have realized we probably won’t have another magical run to a championship for another 20 years, but what will really make me happy is to see Kawhi never win a championship again and his championship with us be his last.This way we can have the last laugh!

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,085

Post#37 » by Dirk » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:46 pm

The threads about Kawhi's free agency will always live on in my memory. Salute to all the fine folks who contributed to them.

The irony is that I personally thought he was going to LA... Lakers. Then it looked like he was definitely staying - it became a certainty at one point. And well... the anti-climax, turns out the guy had been scheming to get players to join him with the Clips.
60/21/10
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,529

Post#38 » by SFour » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:35 pm

SurgeIblocka wrote:I have come to grips with Kawhi leaving and I have realized we probably won’t have another magical run to a championship for another 20 years, but what will really make me happy is to see Kawhi never win a championship again and his championship with us be his last.This way we can have the last laugh!

we spurs fans now :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors