ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Air Drake flying Sacramento Kings to India

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Roco14
Sixth Man
And1: 3,551

Re: OT: Air Drake flying Sacramento Kings to India 

Post#41 » by Roco14 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 10:01 pm

SHFT wrote:
Roco14 wrote:
SHFT wrote:I was curious so I checked their spotify's.

Drake - 12th in the world for montly listeners.

Taylor Swift - 14th

Beiber - 10th

Ariana - 7th

So all in a similar ballpark... Differnce beteween drizzy and grande is like 7m listeners a month.

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app

Another thing to remember... Spotify is mostly a North American platform. People in China, Brazil, Europe, and the rest of Asia aren't using spotify to listen to their music as much as we are

WuTang_OG wrote:
Drake is not just a hip hop artist. His music is very versatile and appeals to all genders and age groups. Drake right now is arguably the biggest music star on the global scale and no you can't argue britney spears has more appeal to him right now.. this isn't 1998.

I'm not saying he's just a hip hop artist, but his music doesn't appeal to the rest of the world like you might think it does. And I'm not saying Madonna is a bigger music star in 2019; I'm saying that if you went and did a survey of 1000 people in each country outside of USA/Canada, you'd find that more people recognize the name Madonna or Beyonce over Drake. Travel a little bit and you'll see for yourself.

https://www.ifpi.org/news/Drake-named-Global-Recording-Artist-of-2018

Released in June 2018, Drake’s 25-track double album broke multiple global records in its first week of release. Scorpion was the first album to reach one billion streams across all platforms worldwide. According to Apple Music, the album reached number one in 92 countries. Prior to the release of Scorpion, album track God’s Plan, released in January, broke first-day streaming records on Spotify and Apple with over 14 million streams

Previous recipients of this prestigious award are One Direction (2013), Taylor Swift (2014), Adele (2015), Drake (2016) and Ed Sheeran (2017).

https://www.businessinsider.com/most-popular-music-artists-nielsen-drake-post-malone-migos-2018-7

Drake and Post Malone are in a league of their own in popular music this year, according to Nielsen's mid-year report on the music industry.

The two rappers, whose versatile music has allowed them to top charts across multiple genres, took the top two spots on Nielsen's ranking of 2018's most popular artists by total album-equivalent consumption, a metric which includes all music sales, streaming figures, and digital downloads.

Drake's Billboard No. 1 single "God's Plan" led all songs in on-demand streaming and total consumption.

I think youre downplaying Drake a bit lol (a **** ton) and just an FYI, Spotify is the 4th biggest music streaming service on the planet based on the number of users. Behind Youtube (easily the biggest and one I imagine Drake does very well in), NetEase (China) and SoundCloud (who it very close to).

Even in 4th place, it has 200 million users with over half coming from North America & West Europe. Doesn't really tell the whole story. Let me pull up some stats..

These are global monthly search volumes in Google.

Ariana~9M/month
Bieber-6M/month
Swift~4M/Month
Drake~2.7M/month

Like somebody already mentioned, all these people have more than double the Instagram following of Drake. The global numbers don't lie - but if you ever take a trip down to Asia, Latin America, East Europe, etc. you'll see that for the most part, nobody really cares about Drake. Many don't even know about him (as crazy as that might sound).

Back in the day, Britney Spears and Madonna were wayyy more global than Drake is today, but obviously they're past their primes at this point...
JustWin wrote:Masai when asked about the teams problems and if he plans on making a move:

"Uhhh, dis a tuff one guiys.. hehe"
dillio
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,069

Post#42 » by dillio » Fri Oct 4, 2019 12:07 am

Dudes arguing about whether or not Drake was actually gifted a jumbo jet - CargoJet is a $1.25 billion publicly traded company. Do you really think they would have given away 20% of the value of their company for a pop artist to advertise their freight delivery services? Forget the misleading garbage we all read when Drake signed the deal, does this really pass the sniff test for you? This isn’t a Nike and Lebron situation - they’re not spending 9 figures on Drake to advertise for them. They are spending 7 figures by letting him use the plane probably a couple dozen times, which is obviously still super expensive but they clearly think all the media attention is worth it.
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Post#43 » by SHFT » Fri Oct 4, 2019 12:48 pm

Roco14 wrote:
SHFT wrote:
Roco14 wrote:
Another thing to remember... Spotify is mostly a North American platform. People in China, Brazil, Europe, and the rest of Asia aren't using spotify to listen to their music as much as we are

I'm not saying he's just a hip hop artist, but his music doesn't appeal to the rest of the world like you might think it does. And I'm not saying Madonna is a bigger music star in 2019; I'm saying that if you went and did a survey of 1000 people in each country outside of USA/Canada, you'd find that more people recognize the name Madonna or Beyonce over Drake. Travel a little bit and you'll see for yourself.

Released in June 2018, Drake’s 25-track double album broke multiple global records in its first week of release. Scorpion was the first album to reach one billion streams across all platforms worldwide. According to Apple Music, the album reached number one in 92 countries. Prior to the release of Scorpion, album track God’s Plan, released in January, broke first-day streaming records on Spotify and Apple with over 14 million streams

Previous recipients of this prestigious award are One Direction (2013), Taylor Swift (2014), Adele (2015), Drake (2016) and Ed Sheeran (2017).

https://www.businessinsider.com/most-popular-music-artists-nielsen-drake-post-malone-migos-2018-7

Drake and Post Malone are in a league of their own in popular music this year, according to Nielsen's mid-year report on the music industry.

The two rappers, whose versatile music has allowed them to top charts across multiple genres, took the top two spots on Nielsen's ranking of 2018's most popular artists by total album-equivalent consumption, a metric which includes all music sales, streaming figures, and digital downloads.

Drake's Billboard No. 1 single "God's Plan" led all songs in on-demand streaming and total consumption.

I think youre downplaying Drake a bit lol (a **** ton) and just an FYI, Spotify is the 4th biggest music streaming service on the planet based on the number of users. Behind Youtube (easily the biggest and one I imagine Drake does very well in), NetEase (China) and SoundCloud (who it very close to).

Even in 4th place, it has 200 million users with over half coming from North America & West Europe. Doesn't really tell the whole story. Let me pull up some stats..

Ariana~9M/month
Bieber-6M/month
Swift~4M/Month
Drake~2.7M/month

Like somebody already mentioned, all these people have more than double the Instagram following of Drake. The global numbers don't lie - but if you ever take a trip down to Asia, Latin America, East Europe, etc. you'll see that for the most part, nobody really cares about Drake. Many don't even know about him (as crazy as that might sound).

Back in the day, Britney Spears and Madonna were wayyy more global than Drake is today, but obviously they're past their primes at this point...

I wanna say im not a Drake fanboy and I dont think you are just plain hating on him.

Its hard to say imo because I just showed you some numbers. Drakes album was the first to reach a billion streams world wide and #1 in 92 countries. None of those other 3 can make that claim. I actually just read it was a billion world wide streams in 1 week.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8464292/drake-scorpion-first-album-1-billion-global-streams-one-week

92 countries is just under half the planet and it doesnt talk about any country it went #2 - 10 or whatever. There are 3 countries in North America and 44 in Europe (which obv includes your example of Eastern Europe).

So who is more popular? I think depending on how you look this up, you will get different answers so Im going to stick with my original post. Those 4 are in a similar ballpark.

Madonna and Beyonce have been on the planet longer lol and if you ask 1000 kids about Madonna vs Drake Id be willing to bet Drake wins that in a landslide. And Beyonce (as famous as she was on her own) married one of the few artists on the planet that has more clout than she does.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,181

Post#44 » by djsunyc » Fri Oct 4, 2019 4:11 pm

umm that game between the kings/pacers in india was better than any game the knicks have played in 5 years.
Roco14
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by Roco14 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 4:31 pm

SHFT wrote:
Roco14 wrote:
SHFT wrote:

Ariana~9M/month
Bieber-6M/month
Swift~4M/Month
Drake~2.7M/month

I wanna say im not a Drake fanboy and I dont think you are just plain hating on him.

Its hard to say imo because I just showed you some numbers. Drakes album was the first to reach a billion streams world wide and #1 in 92 countries. None of those other 3 can make that claim. I actually just read it was a billion world wide streams in 1 week.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8464292/drake-scorpion-first-album-1-billion-global-streams-one-week

92 countries is just under half the planet and it doesnt talk about any country it went #2 - 10 or whatever. There are 3 countries in North America and 44 in Europe (which obv includes your example of Eastern Europe).

So who is more popular? I think depending on how you look this up, you will get different answers so Im going to stick with my original post. Those 4 are in a similar ballpark.

Madonna and Beyonce have been on the planet longer lol and if you ask 1000 kids about Madonna vs Drake Id be willing to bet Drake wins that in a landslide. And Beyonce (as famous as she was on her own) married one of the few artists on the planet that has more clout than she does.

I understand what you're saying but we're comparing apples to oranges here. I'm refuting the point that Drake is the most well known/famous active musician in the world, meanwhile you're bringing up sales/streaming numbers. If we're going by that logic, then Drake is already bigger than the Beatles and Sean Penn is a better/more famous actor than Leo DiCaprio because he has more Oscars, and Pat McCaw is a better basketball player than KD because he has more rings :)

IMO the best indicators of fame today are Google searches, Instagram followers, and total YouTube views. In which, Drake gets beat by a landslide by pretty much all the big names.
JustWin wrote:Masai when asked about the teams problems and if he plans on making a move:

SHFT
Head Coach

Post#46 » by SHFT » Fri Oct 4, 2019 5:03 pm

Roco14 wrote:
SHFT wrote:
Roco14 wrote:

Ariana~9M/month
Bieber-6M/month
Swift~4M/Month
Drake~2.7M/month

I understand what you're saying but we're comparing apples to oranges here. I'm refuting the point that Drake is the most well known/famous active musician in the world, meanwhile you're bringing up sales/streaming numbers. If we're going by that logic, then Drake is already bigger than the Beatles and Sean Penn is a better/more famous actor than Leo DiCaprio because he has more Oscars, and Pat McCaw is a better basketball player than KD because he has more rings :)

IMO the best indicators of fame today are Google searches, Instagram followers, and total YouTube views. In which, Drake gets beat by a landslide by pretty much all the big names.

Why would streaming numbers and number of countries streamed and number of countries topped out in not be an indication of popularity? Its literally defines how often his music is listened to. You said if I travel to South America or Eastern Europe it wouldnt be the case. So where are these 45 (!!) OTHER countries he topped out at? I have no idea where he went # 2 or # 3 or # 4. I would imagine Scorpion made the top 10 in like 65-75% of the countries if he went #1 in just under half.

And again, I am assuming Drake topped ALL of Europe (probably not true) so that's even more popularity in Asia, S.A, Africa and Auzzy (safe to say he topped all of N.A and our whopping 3 countries lol). None of the other artists can claim to reach a billion hits in a week. The record he broke wasnt even those other 3, it was Post Malone's.

Youre using the same logic lol. All 4 of them have more global Youtube searches in 2018 than The Beatles. The Beatles have 2.5m instagram followers so by YOUR logic, The Beatles are not that popular at all (not in the top 100 global youtube searches and relatively small social media following). Obviously, thats not the case and Im not claiming any of the 4 are as popular as The Beatles. Cant find where you are getting Google searches from but its a safe assumption the trend is the same.

So yeah, we are using different metrics but IMO what Ive shown is Drake is on their level because he has claims the others dont (which is true the other way around for sure).
Roco14
Sixth Man

Post#47 » by Roco14 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 5:49 pm

SHFT wrote:
Roco14 wrote:
SHFT wrote:

Why would streaming numbers and number of countries streamed and number of countries topped out in not be an indication of popularity? Its literally defines how often his music is listened to. You said if I travel to South America or Eastern Europe it wouldnt be the case. So where are these 45 (!!) OTHER countries he topped out at? I have no idea where he went # 2 or # 3 or # 4. I would imagine Scorpion made the top 10 in like 65-75% of the countries if he went #1 in just under half.

And again, I am assuming Drake topped ALL of Europe (probably not true) so that's even more popularity in Asia, S.A, Africa and Auzzy (safe to say he topped all of N.A and our whopping 3 countries lol). None of the other artists can claim to reach a billion hits in a week. The record he broke wasnt even those other 3, it was Post Malone's.

Youre using the same logic lol. All 4 of them have more global Youtube searches in 2018 than The Beatles. The Beatles have 2.5m instagram followers so by YOUR logic, The Beatles are not that popular at all (not in the top 100 global youtube searches and relatively small social media following). Obviously, thats not the case and Im not claiming any of the 4 are as popular as The Beatles. Cant find where you are getting Google searches from but its a safe assumption the trend is the same.

So yeah, we are using different metrics but IMO what Ive shown is Drake is on their level because he has claims the others dont (which is true the other way around for sure).

Beatles can't be in this discussion since their time was way before the social media age.. I was just bringing up how if we're going by accolades alone like top 10 hits and streams, then we end up with a lot of skewed perceptions such as Drake being bigger than the beatles.

Also, music streaming is a flawed metric because on the global scale, there are still more people listening to music on Youtube than on streaming services. I don't know why you keep talking about streams. Here's who has more followers on IG and more youtube views than Drake:

Bieber
Swift
Beyonce
Ariana Grande
Rihanna
Katy perry
Shakira
selena gomez
JLO

If we were going off Youtube alone, I could probably name like 20 people with more views. People like Eminem, Adele, Ed sheeran, Bruno Mars, etc. And don't forget; Drake is no baby. He's been around for 10+ years.

I'm not saying Drake isn't big time. OP was claiming that Drake is literally the biggest musician in the world as if he's some sort of new-age Michael Jackson (lol). He's not. He's not even the most famous rapper alive right now.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2017/09/27/the-numbers-prove-it-the-world-is-listening-to-the-music-it-loves-on-youtube/#48378f861614 article from 2017, still relevant

For comparison, all other on-demand streaming channels, such as Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, Deezer, Napster and the handful of others that have been able to collect even a minimal number of either free or paid users, make up the rest of listening time (just 45% combined), so it’s clear that none of them come even close to matching the ubiquity of YouTube.

SHFT
Head Coach

Post#48 » by SHFT » Fri Oct 4, 2019 6:23 pm

Roco14 wrote:
SHFT wrote:
Roco14 wrote:

Beatles can't be in this discussion since their time was way before the social media age.. I was just bringing up how if we're going by accolades alone like top 10 hits and streams, then we end up with a lot of skewed perceptions such as Drake being bigger than the beatles.

Also, music streaming is a flawed metric because on the global scale, there are still more people listening to music on Youtube than on streaming services. I don't know why you keep talking about streams. Here's who has more followers on IG and more youtube views than Drake:

Bieber
Swift
Beyonce
Ariana Grande
Rihanna
Katy perry
Shakira
selena gomez
JLO

If we were going off Youtube alone, I could probably name like 20 people with more views. People like Eminem, Adele, Ed sheeran, Bruno Mars, etc. And don't forget; Drake is no baby. He's been around for 10+ years.

I'm not saying Drake isn't big time. OP was claiming that Drake is literally the biggest musician in the world as if he's some sort of new-age Michael Jackson (lol). He's not. He's not even the most famous rapper alive right now.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2017/09/27/the-numbers-prove-it-the-world-is-listening-to-the-music-it-loves-on-youtube/#48378f861614 article from 2017, still relevant

For comparison, all other on-demand streaming channels, such as Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, Deezer, Napster and the handful of others that have been able to collect even a minimal number of either free or paid users, make up the rest of listening time (just 45% combined), so it’s clear that none of them come even close to matching the ubiquity of YouTube.

Ok, for sure Drake is not THE biggest, again my initial post was similar ball park because neither of those other 3 are the biggest either.

The award Drake won that I linked is across ALL Streaming platforms so it would include Youtube and he won it twice.

You brought The Beatles up lol not me, I just used the extreme example to tell you why the logic doesnt always apply.

FWIW Drake is the 44th most globally searched Youtube item as of July 2019 (behind the other 3). Grande and Bieber have like 3m more and Swift has 1m more. Eminem actually tops all of them (the above 4). Ed Sheeran is the highest artist on there.

But you have to take Youtube (or any search engine) with a grain of salt. For example, Ed Sheeran had 9.5m Youtube hits. "Music" had 8.8m. Obviously, Ed Sheeran is not more popular than music lol so thats why I was focusing on stream count.

But I get what you are saying for sure and some eye opening stuff is there. I knew Bieber and Grande were popular but I had no idea that had that kind of pull. Taylor Swift was the only one I figured would have Drake beat.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#49 » by J-Roc » Sat Oct 5, 2019 4:34 am

More importantly, is "Drake" lending it to the Raps to fly to Japan?
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#50 » by RaptorsNorth » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:01 pm

Drake told you guys it was his plane like he told you guys his dad was a dead beat just to sell records :lol: :lol: :lol: drake is the 69 of Canada, minus the snitching part :lol: he will use anything to market himself to take y'all cash. You know like trying to get close to the leafs in the playoffs for the chance to leech off their success to give out corny speeches to the news networks about nothing! All for TV time to be part of the big story. :lol: "We built this this" "Chips with the dip" man stole super fan's spotlight smh :lol: dude came outta know where like "there was nothing here" You see this ? You see this ? We built this :lol: :lol: let's see how many leaf games he shows up to before the playoffs starts and he pops up with a Lanny McDonald, or Darryl Sitler jersey, giggling and dancing with carlton the bear :lol: :lol: I hope he runs into the bigot goon Don Cherry in the back :lol:

Dude probably already has a song called Bianca or #shethenorth on his next album :lol: you know like the raptors championship song he put out that had nothing to do with the raptors. He was probably like ... Yea let's use the championship artwork to leech off the raptors success :lol: His next single's artwork will be a picture of Bianca winning, and the song won't have anything to do with her winning, but he can leech off her clout to make his clout to make money smh he's going to put out the artwork first and have people like... wow wow drake is dropping a song about Bianca :lol: This man is a clout leech :lol: he has so much clout but it's never enough, and he always feels the need to weasel his way into leeching off others success. his dad showed us what type of person this man really is. An Egoistical that would destroy his fathers own image for a buck.

He would never say it's not his plane. His ego won't allow it! If there's a big story that's Canada wide about some kid having cancer. This guy will be there taking pics with the kid for his own benefit. All to be in the headline of the story Canada wide story smh

Drake at Bianca's next birthday party looking for the cameras :lol: call me a hater all you want. You know this is all facts :lol:

“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors