ImageImageImageImageImage

Video: OG New Shooting Form Adjustments

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,783
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Re: Video: OG New Shooting Form Adjustments 

Post#21 » by Boogie! » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:11 am

Jcity08 wrote:I'm rooting for OG, I hope his has a heck of a year. If he can space the floor reliably next to Pascal, that'll really help our offense flow.

I hope OG & Norm take another step in their game.

Norm can take another step if nick nurse doesn't have him on such a short leash. Norm is the kind of guy that needs condidence and freedom to know his minutes aren't gonna get yanked because of one mistake. He needs the fvv treatment instead of the james Johnson treatment.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#22 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:12 am

Boogie! wrote:This isn't meant to be negative, but are there any specific accounts of guys becoming much better shooters after changing their shooting form in the middle of their NBA career?

good thing OG isn't in the middle of his NBA career ;)
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#23 » by ontnut » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:16 am

Boogie! wrote:This isn't meant to be negative, but are there any specific accounts of guys becoming much better shooters after changing their shooting form in the middle of their NBA career?

Some guys made minor adjustments like Kawhi, AD, Irving did. Curry changed his outta high school, so that doesn't count, Nash early in his career. Griffin?
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#24 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:20 am

OG needs to get that right wrist and right elbow more inline with the right shoulder. He's got his right hand in front of his face instead of over his right shoulder.

Chris Webber

Total shot reconstruction. He stopped doing that ridiculous thing where he had the ball way behind his head. He was a terror until he tore his meniscus.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
RAblaze
Senior
And1: 877

Post#25 » by RAblaze » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:20 am

A player off the top of my head who changed his shooting form was Eric Gordon. After a quick google search, I found https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2015/7/24/9033379/secret-eric-gordon-three-point-shooting-success-pelicans which states he re-worked his shot prior to the 2014-15 season, which would be season 6 out of his current 11 and counting seasons in the NBA.

Also OG, being 22 and starting his 3rd season in the NBA should not be considered in the "middle of their NBA career".
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#26 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:27 am

RAblaze wrote:

A player off the top of my head who changed his shooting form was Eric Gordon. After a quick google search, I found https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2015/7/24/9033379/secret-eric-gordon-three-point-shooting-success-pelicans which states he re-worked his shot prior to the 2014-15 season, which would be season 6 out of his current 11 and counting seasons in the NBA.

Also OG, being 22 and starting his 3rd season in the NBA should not be considered in the "middle of their NBA career".

I’m pretty sure OG is still the youngest player on our roster
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#27 » by Kabookalu » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:56 am

Kevin Willis wrote:

On another note I love how Kawhi shoots the ball as if it's a real life game. DeRozan on the other hand looks way too relaxed as if he's not being guarded during shootaround. If he practiced the way he played he'd be a legit star.
Read on Twitter
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#28 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:06 am

I mean he did shoot 40% from 3 in his rookie season on decent volume. He was also our 2nd best player against the Cavaliers in the east semi's that playoffs.

The potential is there.

He had a rough year last year...missing the early part of the season, then getting hurt during the season, not having a defined role because Kawhi was in and out of the line-up, and then appendix issue before the playoffs.
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#29 » by howlin mad axer » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:13 am

Looking like DeMar both in form and hair.
simmons21
Junior
And1: 472

Post#30 » by simmons21 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:01 am

Form is pretty much the same. just a different angle. He still loads it far too low, with the left hand resting on top of the ball.
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Post#31 » by raptor jesus » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:36 am

aside from the first one, which still went in, it looks more fluid. i always though it looked like his lower body and upper body were out of sync. looks smoother there.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,694

Post#32 » by Clay Davis » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:11 am

Jason Kidd went from being a 69% FT shooter for the first three years of his career to having his lowest FT% in the subsequent 14 years being 74% (with highs being above 80%). Pretty ridiculous, when you think about it. He played ~33 games in his third season... guessing he spent a lot of time in the gym working on his free-throws lol.
Kawhi went from being a catch & shoot floor-spacer to being able to hit a 3 as the first shot he attempted during iso situations. Kobe said that Kawhi came into the league as a pretty bad shooter.
Andre Drummond has become a much better FT shooter in the past two seasons
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Totem
Analyst
And1: 3,161

Post#33 » by Totem » Thu Oct 3, 2019 10:26 am

Lowry is one. Was a terrible shooter in Memphis and college.
Product of TZ
kwajo
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,227

Post#34 » by kwajo » Thu Oct 3, 2019 12:10 pm

As long as he keeps the sideburns, I'm happy
”I’m just a man, standing in front of a Raptor, asking them to love me.”
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#35 » by Boogie! » Thu Oct 3, 2019 12:19 pm

Totem wrote:

Lowry is one. Was a terrible shooter in Memphis and college.

I don't mean just getting better, I meant changing their form from how they've been shooting it their whole life up until someone in the NBA told them to change.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#36 » by Boogie! » Thu Oct 3, 2019 12:21 pm

Other than the release point, his shot kind of looks like kawhis in this video.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#37 » by Asif16 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:00 pm

Still doesnt look like a shot that gonna go if it's contested.

For OG, it looks like we have to get him wide open shots or chances are its not going in
ghuytro
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#38 » by ghuytro » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:06 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:OG needs to get that right wrist and right elbow more inline with the right shoulder. He's got his right hand in front of his face instead of over his right shoulder.

Chris Webber

Total shot reconstruction. He stopped doing that ridiculous thing where he had the ball way behind his head. He was a terror until he tore his meniscus.

He also needs to stop bringing the ball down so much on the catch - that just eats up the valuable time and space you have over your defender
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#39 » by Red_Claw » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:40 pm

i wish he'd point his toes to the basket but....if it works.....?
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,260

Post#40 » by Raptorfan2012 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:17 pm

Honestly had no idea how RealGm has so many shooting coaches/experts here...

Return to Toronto Raptors