ImageImageImageImageImage

Video: OG New Shooting Form Adjustments

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Re: Video: OG New Shooting Form Adjustments 

Post#41 » by gerrit4 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:37 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
gerrit4 wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:He really needs to develop some sort of handle.

Totally, but being a better shooter will give him more space to drive. I don’t think he’ll ever have the handle of someone like Simmons who can still get to the rim without a shot. Even last year I saw OGs handling ability was much better against weaker players when he was able to slow his game down, as opposed to rushing his drives and getting out of control.

He has big hands so it should be easier for him to develop handle than other players. Hopefully that happens eventually. It’s doubtful he develops his handles to an elite level like Paul George did but I think he can get it to an above average level eventually.

It will be interesting to see. To my eyes, his body doesn't really move as fluidly as a lot of those guys, but some of that might have been injury related.

In Demar's rookie year, I'd argue that he was the worst ball-handling SG in the entire league, and by the time we traded him, he was probably among the best. I never saw that coming. So now I'll never write off a player's handle.

To my eyes (and I'm by no means a shooting expert), I've always felt that OG's lower body strength and lower body form is why he's been able to be a pretty good 3pt shooter in the league so far, even though his release has looked pretty tight and ugly to me. Pascal on the other hand (2 seasons ago) had a fine release -low and sloppy, but soft and fluid, but his lower body always looked out of whack. He really improved his shot preparation last year, and became a good enough 3pt shooter.

If OG can ever become an efficient 12ppg player, I'll be thrilled. I have no doubts that he'll always be a very good defender, and I'm pretty confident he can get to league average offensively. Anything above that is gravy.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,346

Post#42 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:39 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:Honestly had no idea how RealGm has so many shooting coaches/experts here...

Most people that have even attended a basketball camp could critique OG's form. There is frankly a lot wrong with it.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#43 » by StopitLeo » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:42 pm

Red_Claw wrote:i wish he'd point his toes to the basket but....if it works.....?

Why?

Much of the "fundamental shooting form" that people teach goes against the actual biomechanics involved and/or tries to force a one-size-fits all approach when everyone's anatomy differs. Things like pointing your toes/feet straight, having your shooting elbow pulled in so your forearm is vertical, shooting the ball from your forehead or higher, etc.

Shooting is about giving the ball the best chance to go in by having a trajectory towards the centre of the basket with appropriate arc and ball-rotation. The "fundamental shooting form" is quite meaningless since an individual's anatomy will dictate what they need to do in order to achieve those goals. I suppose what is useful is knowing how changing the "fundamentals" will affect different things.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what form you use as long as it can be done in a game (so no underhanded 3 point shots) and repeated consistently. The greatest shooters in the NBA have all had different forms, none of which fit the "fundamental".

Just look at the picture below. And that's just their upper body; you can't even see their feet or the release (Reggie crossed his hands!):

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,648

Post#44 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:23 pm

Anyone want to tell me why his right foot keeps being pointed inward instead of at the basket? Doesn't Leonard do that?
tor1234567
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#45 » by tor1234567 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:53 pm

He can become a more physically gifted version Bruce Bowen.

Doesn't really need to focus on improving his handles (if it's not going well). I would consider this more of a nice to have.

He just needs to continue playing great defence, and continue to work and perfect that three point shot.

His sheer size and athleticism will allow him to guard multiple positions and become an elite role player and quality complimentary piece for Siakam.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,256

Post#46 » by XTC » Thu Oct 3, 2019 7:17 pm

Boogie! wrote:This isn't meant to be negative, but are there any specific accounts of guys becoming much better shooters after changing their shooting form in the middle of their NBA career?

I feel like Lebron changed his shooting form every year until 2014.
-AirCanada-
Pro Prospect
And1: 847

Re: OG New Shooting Form Adjustments 

Post#47 » by -AirCanada- » Thu Oct 3, 2019 10:39 pm

Bankai wrote:I have high hopes for OG this season, he has the potential and lots of experience now, and he should be healthy and moved on from his Father's Death. Dont let me down kiddo.

?

how does one move on from a parents death?
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#48 » by Psubs » Thu Oct 3, 2019 10:52 pm

Danny1616 wrote:I mean he did shoot 40% from 3 in his rookie season on decent volume. He was also our 2nd best player against the Cavaliers in the east semi's that playoffs.

The potential is there.

He had a rough year last year...missing the early part of the season, then getting hurt during the season, not having a defined role because Kawhi was in and out of the line-up, and then appendix issue before the playoffs.

Chalk it up to sophomore slump too?
libertyYYZ
Pro Prospect
And1: 761

Post#49 » by libertyYYZ » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:32 pm

tor1234567 wrote:He can become a more physically gifted version Bruce Bowen.

Doesn't really need to focus on improving his handles (if it's not going well). I would consider this more of a nice to have.

He just needs to continue playing great defence, and continue to work and perfect that three point shot.

His sheer size and athleticism will allow him to guard multiple positions and become an elite role player and quality complimentary piece for Siakam.

OG has some handles and can do some damage on the block. He's got a bit more on the offensive side than Bruce ever did. LOL at Bruce once he got run off the line. OG's a bit herky-jerky in the post compared to the graceful fluidity of Pascal, but at 235, he's a load for 3's and the modern 4's.

OG is starting to get some fluidity to his shot, but it's never going to be a classic shot. The kid has a lot of desire to be good, so at 22, he's a work in progress and will be a heckuva player in 2-3 more years.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -- Michael Jordan
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,403

Post#50 » by Lateral Quicks » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:42 pm

djsunyc wrote:i am perfectly ok acknowledging that this video made me touch myself.

The shorts are too long. What happened to the short short short shorts?
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,027

Re: OG New Shooting Form Adjustments 

Post#51 » by ontnut » Fri Oct 4, 2019 12:07 am

-AirCanada- wrote:
Bankai wrote:I have high hopes for OG this season, he has the potential and lots of experience now, and he should be healthy and moved on from his Father's Death. Dont let me down kiddo.

?

how does one move on from a parents death?

I think he means that it's not going to be on his mind 24/7 like it would be when it just happened. It's not like he will forget his father's gone, but the pain/focus on it will be less constant.
kwajo
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,222

Post#52 » by kwajo » Fri Oct 4, 2019 1:46 am

I’m more excited about him doing stuff like this:

Read on Twitter
”I’m just a man, standing in front of a Raptor, asking them to love me.”
firekil
Rookie
And1: 1,209

Post#53 » by firekil » Fri Oct 4, 2019 2:33 am

That shot is still awful. He needs to square his shoulders to the hoop.
vincecarter55
Rookie
And1: 1,844

Post#54 » by vincecarter55 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 2:55 am

Am I the only one who hates that his follow through fades to the right of his body? Like just hold your follow through towards the hoop. He did it fine for the first 3 shots but that last one is what he was doing all last year and I don't understand it.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#55 » by MixxSRC » Fri Oct 4, 2019 3:19 am

Read on Twitter

Seems to shoot pretty decent. Rondae is a disaster
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#56 » by StopitLeo » Fri Oct 4, 2019 4:06 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Anyone want to tell me why his right foot keeps being pointed inward instead of at the basket? Doesn't Leonard do that?

Because there is no reason why his foot needs to point at the basket. In fact, turning it inwards helps most people align their upper body towards the basket.

BBallBreakdown has an interesting set of videos that looks at the form of guys in the 3pt shooting contest. Literally one of the first things he notes is that every guy has their feet turned to some degree and pointing towards their non-shooting side.

Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#57 » by Throwback24 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 4:17 pm

nabbs wrote:It's clear that that the release/set point is much higher, he isn't pushing the ball and he is holding that follow through. I'd still like to see his guide hand and shooting hand more balanced on the follow through but this is the best I have seen it

Read on Twitter

Would like to see his guide handing positioned more on the side of the ball removing his thumb as well.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#58 » by HeadtopChunes » Fri Oct 4, 2019 5:38 pm

StopitLeo wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Anyone want to tell me why his right foot keeps being pointed inward instead of at the basket? Doesn't Leonard do that?

Because there is no reason why his foot needs to point at the basket. In fact, turning it inwards helps most people align their upper body towards the basket.

BBallBreakdown has an interesting set of videos that looks at the form of guys in the 3pt shooting contest. Literally one of the first things he notes is that every guy has their feet turned to some degree and pointing towards their non-shooting side.

Yeah this lets me shoot much more accurate when I play too.

Puts less pressure on my shoulder and lets me shoot straighter.

Most players do this now especially ones that shoot off the dribble a lot
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#59 » by Boogie! » Sat Oct 5, 2019 7:42 pm

gerrit4 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
gerrit4 wrote:
Totally, but being a better shooter will give him more space to drive. I don’t think he’ll ever have the handle of someone like Simmons who can still get to the rim without a shot. Even last year I saw OGs handling ability was much better against weaker players when he was able to slow his game down, as opposed to rushing his drives and getting out of control.

He has big hands so it should be easier for him to develop handle than other players. Hopefully that happens eventually. It’s doubtful he develops his handles to an elite level like Paul George did but I think he can get it to an above average level eventually.

It will be interesting to see. To my eyes, his body doesn't really move as fluidly as a lot of those guys, but some of that might have been injury related.

In Demar's rookie year, I'd argue that he was the worst ball-handling SG in the entire league, and by the time we traded him, he was probably among the best. I never saw that coming. So now I'll never write off a player's handle.

To my eyes (and I'm by no means a shooting expert), I've always felt that OG's lower body strength and lower body form is why he's been able to be a pretty good 3pt shooter in the league so far, even though his release has looked pretty tight and ugly to me. Pascal on the other hand (2 seasons ago) had a fine release -low and sloppy, but soft and fluid, but his lower body always looked out of whack. He really improved his shot preparation last year, and became a good enough 3pt shooter.

If OG can ever become an efficient 12ppg player, I'll be thrilled. I have no doubts that he'll always be a very good defender, and I'm pretty confident he can get to league average offensively. Anything above that is gravy.

By demars second season he was finishing in traffic regularly and shooting post fadeawaysover defenders. People like to look at things like "handle" in a vacuum without realizing that other factors play a role in a players ability to create and finish. Og is awkward around the basket with nobody control or craftiness. When he encounters defense he just wildly throws up a shot. He's Terrence Ross like in that regard and Ross didn't even have a bad handle. Theres things that can improve through hard work and things that may never get better. There's a reason why not every player is a superstar and it has nothing to do with just hard work.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
LJKO
RealGM
And1: 16,356

Post#60 » by LJKO » Sat Oct 5, 2019 8:20 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:Honestly had no idea how RealGm has so many shooting coaches/experts here...

We have a lot of RealGMer's who knows more then actual NBA pro coaches/experts here. Thou most of us are crazy at times but when it comes to basketball we are NO LIFES :D
kwajo wrote:I’m more excited about him doing stuff like this:

Read on Twitter

Seriously I really think OG change of pace can be the key to his success; Last year that Explosive Dunk was crazy and still gives me chills :o

Return to Toronto Raptors