ImageImageImageImageImage

Siakim/ Bosh 2006-2007 Raptors

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Re: Siakim/ Bosh 2006-2007 Raptors 

Post#21 » by mrsocko » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:49 pm

Ru Paul vs Spicy P. Two great knicknames.
Dick expectation level 0/5
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#22 » by hsb » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:58 pm

toast wrote:
hsb wrote:Bosh as a number one option was very slow and methodical - even before they wanted him to bulk up and play with more mass. He'll go to the elbow, keep the ball low and likely jab step a thousand times, and then either shoot the ball or go to the rim. It was incredibly boring to watch on a night to night basis - except his rebounding was pretty damn awesome to watch especially for someone so lanky. I really hope Siakam, as fun as he is to watch now, doesn't turn into the type of player Bosh was as a first option.

There has to be better examples in NBA history than looking at Bosh, for Siakam.

I think Green from last year is also a better match with Parker than anything Powell is. Honestly, I like the thought, I just don't see any connection with anyone from the 2006-07 team.

Bosh was very quick when he was let loose. His first step was very quick and he would often just blow by his defender. He was slightly taller and slightly slower with not as much flash to his game (granted no game is identical) The overall point of the post was that you had team that was built on an emerging allstar PF with just decent players at the other positions and they still managed 47 wins. Our team has a very similar built but is just a little better at all positions, which translates to much better as a team. It was also not directly overlapping each players game but the over-all value contribution of each position. Both teams have/had a borderline all-star Pg, a decent offensive and decent defensive SG (which I see Powell becoming) that was not the pure 3-D guy, a defensive SF with an OK 3 point shot, a dynamic PF that demands doubles and a slow moving be very good defensive center. Except this team is better. For example we have a defensive center that is also wonderful passer and a better scorer.

Other points. There is no way this bench is not way better than that bench. 2006 had massive holes defensively (Bargnani, Jose, really the whole bench), where our current team has only Thomas as a negative defender. Also this bench has two players (VV and Serge) who could be legit starters on over half the teams in the league, 2006 had nothing of the sort (don't forget Calderon was in his first year).

I don't see the reason to choose the 2006-07 Raptors team to compare to this one because the pieces are just so damn different. TJ and Lowry. Parker and Powell. OG and Garbo. Rasho and Gasol. Ibaka and Bargnani. Jose and FVV. In the entire history of the game, why compare these two teams? You might be leaning too much on the fact that Bosh and Siakam play the four spot heavily and other players exist around them.

Also, throwing an uninjured young Jose into the game after having a player like TJ blitzing through defenses was such an awesome change of pace that left a lot of teams frazzled. You're not appreciating how the depth worked on that squad - it was its strongest attribute and why then won some games even if Mikki Moore of all people was shutting down Bosh.

But if you still see a connection between the two squads, then by all means, continue with your opinion.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
tor1234567
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#23 » by tor1234567 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 12:09 am

Prime Pascal could be as good as Prime Bosh.

Pascal's game is so much more fun to watch though. They both have good ISO game, but Bosh was boring (yet effective) on that elbow. Either hit the shot, or got fouled trying to take it to the rim.

Pascal's ISO dribble at the top of the key with spin moves are **** awesome.
garbagnani
Starter
And1: 194

Post#24 » by garbagnani » Wed Oct 9, 2019 12:35 am

Siakam is a way better defender than bosh ever was. He just played robin to kawhis Batman and won the chip. Siakam is the better player overall already.
MikeMars
Junior
And1: 151

Post#25 » by MikeMars » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:05 am

hsb wrote:Bosh as a number one option was very slow and methodical - even before they wanted him to bulk up and play with more mass. He'll go to the elbow, keep the ball low and likely jab step a thousand times, and then either shoot the ball or go to the rim. It was incredibly boring to watch on a night to night basis - except his rebounding was pretty damn awesome to watch especially for someone so lanky. I really hope Siakam, as fun as he is to watch now, doesn't turn into the type of player Bosh was as a first option.

There has to be better examples in NBA history than looking at Bosh, for Siakam.

I think Green from last year is also a better match with Parker than anything Powell is. Honestly, I like the thought, I just don't see any connection with anyone from the 2006-07 team.

what are you talking about Bosh was a beaste, id argue the 2nd best overall talent the Raptors had, Carter being number but thats another debate, there was no debate Bosh was the best PF in the league as he matured on the Raptors, pretty much unstoppable at his position, he was the Kevin Garnet killer. But no one noticed because he was on the Raptors, well the public didnt notice but Wade and Lebron did, they believed to be the best 3 players in the league, and Bosh took on a lesser role for a couple championships.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,551

Post#26 » by 2019nbachamps » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:25 am

They aren't the same player. I think the issue with Bosh was despite his flaws, he was on the team during a time when we were awfully run by Babcock and Colangelo. With a better 2-guard (perhaps if they handled the Vince situation better) and some surrounding pieces we could've had a much better squad. I never considered Bosh to be a #1 guy that could lead a team to a title but he was still a very good player and could create his own shot. For Siakam to take his game to the next level and be the #1 guy (like Bosh was for us) he'll have to prove he can create for himself. I think he has what it takes but it might take him another year or so to get used to what defenses are going to throw at him starting this season.
-AirCanada-
Pro Prospect
And1: 847

Post#27 » by -AirCanada- » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:13 am

garbagnani wrote:Siakam is a way better defender than bosh ever was. He just played robin to kawhis Batman and won the chip. Siakam is the better player overall already.

lol

no
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#28 » by Kabookalu » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:24 am

MikeMars wrote:

what are you talking about Bosh was a beaste, id argue the 2nd best overall talent the Raptors had, Carter being number but thats another debate, there was no debate Bosh was the best PF in the league as he matured on the Raptors, pretty much unstoppable at his position, he was the Kevin Garnet killer. But no one noticed because he was on the Raptors, well the public didnt notice but Wade and Lebron did, they believed to be the best 3 players in the league, and Bosh took on a lesser role for a couple championships.

Actually I remember it was the opposite, Kevin Garnett used to punk Bosh, him and Rasheed Wallace. Those performances, along with Shaq calling him Rupaul, and getting killed by Mikki Moore of all players in the playoffs, led to Bosh having the reputation as a soft player. Just going off of the top of my head the only reputable big man that I recall that Bosh excelled against was Dwight Howard, and it was more like they traded great performances and knew each others games so well being close friends.
Read on Twitter
sprewellchokes
Junior
And1: 346

Post#29 » by sprewellchokes » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:32 pm

Senbonzakura wrote:I actually think Siakam reminds me more of McGrady when he was here.

Really? Please explain.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#30 » by ruckus » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:09 pm

It's not a good comparison. Even though they both play PF, their games are completely different.

Bosh was a 4-5. Siakam is a 4-3. Bosh was a KG-lite. I see Siakam more of a uber-Marion. In terms of impact, I'd rate them as equal. Bosh was the more visible offensive player. He drew a lot of attention. However, Siakam has the better overall game.

If we're just looking at their two teams in general, this iteration of the Raptors is just better. The construction of the 06-07 Raptors was pretty traditional with their top 9:

PG - TJ and Jose
SG - AP and MoPete
SF - Garbo and JoeyG
PF - Bosh
C - Rasho and Bargs

The 19-20 top 7 (can't say too much on the rest of the roster until I see them play a real game):

PG - Kyle and Fred
SG - Norm
SF - OG
PF - Pascal
C - Serge and Marc

The only area where 06-07 appears to have an edge is at the 2/3. AP, Mo and Garbo are a pretty nice group of gluey players. But, its a wash at PF and 19-20 is better at PG and C.

Plus, I'd take Nurse's coaching staff over Smitch's every single time.

The game would be over once Nurse puts Lowry and Fred on the floor at the same time. We all know that Jose couldn't guard a turtle and Smitch's bigger 2's couldn't handle Kyle playing off-ball.
TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,235

Post#31 » by TheAlchemist » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:10 pm

Remembering those Bosh teams are quite off putting.

Let's hope we dont build our team anything close to that.
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,920

Post#32 » by Senbonzakura » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:08 pm

sprewellchokes wrote:
Senbonzakura wrote:I actually think Siakam reminds me more of McGrady when he was here.

Really? Please explain.

Because Bosh was actually a traditional power forward and Siakam is more of a perimeter-oriented combo forward. TMac wasn't as efficient for us, but he was mainly playing 3-4, slashing to the basket and playing great defense. Really similar measureables too: McGrady was 6'8, around 220 with a 7'2 wingspan, Siakam is 6'9, around 230 with a 7'3 wingspan.
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,582

Post#33 » by NeoDragonKnight » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:52 pm

The main similarities for me is the style of offensive play. The 06 Raptors had some of the best ball movement ever by the Raptors up until last year when Gasol got here. Fantastic ball movement for easy shots but also a couple of goto guys that can ISO and get you points when you need. The biggest difference this year will be we just don't have a guy that can score from anywhere on the court in crunch time like Kawhi, Lowry kind of can, but Siakam is more of a Giannis type that has to drive in, he cannot pull up and shot like Bosh could. 06-07 Raptors also remember should have been a 50 win team if they got their crap together faster, they played true team ball and were greater then the sum of their parts, but were still capped with the talent level of some of their guys. Current Raptors have a far higher talent level then 06 but still play that similar ball movement style.
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,582

Post#34 » by NeoDragonKnight » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:55 pm

ruckus wrote:PG - TJ and Jose
SG - AP and MoPete
SF - Garbo and JoeyG
PF - Bosh
C - Rasho and Bargs

Dont forget the Baconator Hump at PF, I hated how he thought he was MJ, but for some reason his shot always hit front rim and into the bucket beyond all logic.

Return to Toronto Raptors