ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Pigs fly

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Re: OT: Pigs fly 

Post#41 » by Bankai » Wed Oct 9, 2019 9:35 pm

Guanzhou in shambles, they got sent to... Guangdong.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,154

Post#42 » by PoundTown » Wed Oct 9, 2019 9:58 pm

That actually looked decently fluid and quick. Guessing it will still be a 30 percent shot on any sort of volume at the max this year but a good sign for the future for them.

The horford pick up is awesome and will help immensely when embiid is resting at the 5. Their two top bench guys, Ennis and Scott, Will help a lot with the 3s. If they can get someone at deadline or off waivers that can help them out in the backcourt or if my boy, trey Burke can find a nice fit in that role their top 8 playoff rotation will be awesome. Richardson and Harris need to be hitting 3s at volume and horford and embiid chipping in. But, this team could be unreal defensively and on the boards. They are my favourites in the east, providing they stay healthy, and by a lognshot. Embiid was really good when he wasn’t in shape and he’s twenty pounds lighter now.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,179

Post#43 » by mowcrowbar » Wed Oct 9, 2019 10:43 pm

Metallikid wrote:
mowcrowbar wrote:
shiggydill wrote:Pretty hilarious how crazy the crowd is going over a #1 pick and franchise star finally making a 3. But does it even count if it's preseason?

Obviously Simmons was selected first without a having 3, but that didn't stop him from dominating thus far. With a respectable open 3, this guy is going to be a perennial allstar and future superstar.

And what exactly is it that Ben Simmons has dominated in his time in the league?

I don't even think he deserved his one all star appearance.

Average 17 9 and 8 while playing great defense for the second best team in the East?
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#44 » by JYD » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:28 pm

Everyone is still not gonna guard his shot and he's still not gonna take the open looks. I'm sure he will try this in end of clock situations sometimes, maybe hit 15% of them.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#45 » by hankscorpioLA » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:43 pm

Mikistan wrote:Only clowns celebrate like that for meaningless frivolity

I am not sure how its meaningless or frivolous.

Ben Simmons has made exactly [checks notes] 0 three pointers in his NBA career.

So making one, even if it is in preseason, is a cause for celebration.

Especially when you consider that the lack of a shot has been arguably the ONLY knock on Simmons since he came into the league.

I'd say its a pretty big deal.
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM

Post#46 » by hankscorpioLA » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:51 pm

JYD wrote:Everyone is still not gonna guard his shot and he's still not gonna take the open looks. I'm sure he will try this in end of clock situations sometimes, maybe hit 15% of them.

The goal isn't for him to become a prolific three point shooter.

The goal is to hit enough wide open threes that it forces the opposition to provide at least token defense against it, which forces them to step a bit further away from the basket, which creates better angles for Simmons to drive and improves overall spacing.

So IMHO it is absolutely a big deal that he hit a wide open three in the preseason.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,481

Post#47 » by Brinbe » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:52 pm

no reason why he can't develop a respectable jumper. it's all mental.

but he's still young, they'll learn. sixers are def title contenders because they have the size to take on anyone from the west and are arguably best in the east. even if he doesn't shoot 3s they're probably best in the east.
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by JYD » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:49 am

hankscorpioLA wrote:
JYD wrote:Everyone is still not gonna guard his shot and he's still not gonna take the open looks. I'm sure he will try this in end of clock situations sometimes, maybe hit 15% of them.

The goal is to hit enough wide open threes that it forces the opposition to provide at least token defense against it, which forces them to step a bit further away from the basket, which creates better angles for Simmons to drive and improves overall spacing.

So IMHO it is absolutely a big deal that he hit a wide open three in the preseason.

lol I disagree that one 3 is a big deal. I know what the goal is. You think one 3 is evidence he's ready to accomplish it? He shoots with the wrong hand dude.

Mark my words. He will continue not to get guarded outside. He might try to hit the unguarded looks early in the year, he will fail. Then he will dial back and reserve it for end of clock situations. Either way the percentage will suck, nothing will change.

That said, 76ers are still my favorite to take the East, in spite of Simmons' flaws.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,388

Post#49 » by Mikistan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:28 am

hankscorpioLA wrote:
Mikistan wrote:Only clowns celebrate like that for meaningless frivolity

I am not sure how its meaningless or frivolous.

Ben Simmons has made exactly [checks notes] 0 three pointers in his NBA career.

So making one, even if it is in preseason, is a cause for celebration.

Especially when you consider that the lack of a shot has been arguably the ONLY knock on Simmons since he came into the league.

I'd say its a pretty big deal.

I believe the old adage that puts it best:

Little high, little low
hankscorpioLA
RealGM

Post#50 » by hankscorpioLA » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:21 am

JYD wrote:
hankscorpioLA wrote:

lol I disagree that one 3 is a big deal. I know what the goal is. You think one 3 is evidence he's ready to accomplish it? He shoots with the wrong hand dude.

When you are 0 for your career and not having a jumper is all anyone talks about...then yeah...it's a big deal.

Mark my words. He will continue not to get guarded outside. He might try to hit the unguarded looks early in the year, he will fail. Then he will dial back and reserve it for end of clock situations. Either way the percentage will suck, nothing will change.

Mark your words?

Why?

Who are you?

You don't know.

This is the first three he has EVER hit. That means something is different. That means we have to wait and see what happens.

That said, 76ers are still my favorite to take the East, in spite of Simmons' flaws.

Nobody asked.
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by JYD » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:27 am

hankscorpioLA wrote:
Mark your words?

Why?

Who are you?

You don't know.

This is the first three he has EVER hit. That means something is different. That means we have to wait and see what happens.

Nobody asked.

Jeez Hank, kinda testy. Why so personal? I'm talking about the player, you're talking about me.

What was Simmons' % on jumpers, forget 3's? I honestly don't know offhand, but I bet it's not good.

You don't think he's hit a 3 in practice? Who cares man, he still shoots with the wrong hand. If a bad golfer makes one good shot, do you announce they've turned a corner?

You don't go from a guy who's scared to take any kind of jumper to shooting 3's at a clip where people have to respect you, not in one off-season at least. I'll eat my words if I'm close to wrong. If he even got around to shooting say 25% from 3 I would be shocked.

edit: here's the numbers from last year:

5-9 ft. 76 179 42.5
10-14 ft. 18 71 25.4
15-19 ft. 2 21 9.5
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#52 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:43 am

76ers or the bucks the favorite for sure.

some of y'alls might need to take off the blinders for a sec. Ben Simmons is like 23 years old. dude is going to improve a lot by the time he gets to his prime. he's already pretty good getting to the rim and an amazing playmaker. defense is above average for sure.

if he was a Raptor, you'd go bonkers for him lmao.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
BBallG
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,749

Post#53 » by BBallG » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:20 pm

haha this is ridiculous and the celebration for something so underwhelming reminds me of the Lisa Leslie first ever dunk.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM

Post#54 » by hankscorpioLA » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:42 pm

JYD wrote:
hankscorpioLA wrote:
Mark your words?

Why?

Who are you?

You don't know.

Nobody asked.

Jeez Hank, kinda testy. Why so personal? I'm talking about the player, you're talking about me.

Yeah...that was a bit dickish on my part.

Its preseason for everyone! Am I right? Am I right?

What was Simmons' % on jumpers, forget 3's? I honestly don't know offhand, but I bet it's not good.

You don't think he's hit a 3 in practice? Who cares man, he still shoots with the wrong hand. If a bad golfer makes one good shot, do you announce they've turned a corner?

This is not the correct analogy. The correct analogy is to a golfer who is good in every facet of the game except for one. So imagine a golfer who has never successfully used a driver. He's tried a few times and every single time he screws it up. Every. Single. Time. If I was to see that golfer at the driving range hit one solid, straight ball, then yes...I would think that perhaps that player had figured it out. I would at least believe that they were on to something.

You don't go from a guy who's scared to take any kind of jumper to shooting 3's at a clip where people have to respect you, not in one off-season at least.

Maybe it was two offseasons...but...

Pascal Siakam

Year 1: 1 for 7, 14%
Year 2: 29 for 132, 22%
Year 3: 79 for 214, 37%

I'll eat my words if I'm close to wrong. If he even got around to shooting say 25% from 3 I would be shocked.

See...this is the part that frustrates me.

Just as much as its premature to say that Simmons WILL be a better three point shooter, it is even more so to say that he WILL NOT be a better three point shooter.

All we know right now is that he has hit one more three pointer than he has hit in his entire NBA career. That is enough to say that it is something worth keeping an eye on.

edit: here's the numbers from last year:

5-9 ft. 76 179 42.5
10-14 ft. 18 71 25.4
15-19 ft. 2 21 9.5

Here are his numbers from this year:

1 for 1 from 3.

Return to Toronto Raptors