ImageImageImageImageImage

Should Raptors retire Lowry’s #7 when all said and done

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

scirocco53
Senior
And1: 164

Re: Should Raptors retire Lowry’s #7 when all said and done 

Post#61 » by scirocco53 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:00 pm

dontsettle4less wrote:1000% and to be honest I hope they do it for Derozen too. Without him we don't get Kawhi and what we built wouldn't have existed. These two are a big part of how we won this year. I will cherish that feeling and that moment forever.

Keeping it real right there. Lowry and DerRozan are the only players who deserve to get their jersey's retired. All others simply don't.
"Release the hounds"
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#62 » by Mikistan » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:00 pm

dontsettle4less wrote:
RoyceDa59 wrote:When it’s all said and done I think the Raptors will hang Kyle Lowrys lucky #7 jersey in the Rafters at Scotiabank Arena (ACC). Regardless of happens from here on out.

He’s a perfect comic book hero for our franchise and after bringing home our first Chip, I think he’s earned it as well.

Should the Raptors retire Lowrys #7 jersey?

1000% and to be honest I hope they do it for Derozen too. Without him we don't get Kawhi and what we built wouldn't have existed. These two are a big part of how we won this year. I will cherish that feeling and that moment forever.

Should retire Bargnani and Poeltl's numbers too then

and Danny Green's

And Jonas Valanciunas'

And BC should get a star of appreciation
SoberKebab
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#63 » by SoberKebab » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:08 pm

Without a doubt Lowry's number should be retired.

Vince and Demar should get a lesser acknowledgement. Isn't it the Blue Jays that have a wall of excellence or something? They should get onto that.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#64 » by Danny1616 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:22 pm

Mikistan wrote:
dontsettle4less wrote:
RoyceDa59 wrote:When it’s all said and done I think the Raptors will hang Kyle Lowrys lucky #7 jersey in the Rafters at Scotiabank Arena (ACC). Regardless of happens from here on out.

He’s a perfect comic book hero for our franchise and after bringing home our first Chip, I think he’s earned it as well.

Should the Raptors retire Lowrys #7 jersey?

1000% and to be honest I hope they do it for Derozen too. Without him we don't get Kawhi and what we built wouldn't have existed. These two are a big part of how we won this year. I will cherish that feeling and that moment forever.

and Danny Green's

And Jonas Valanciunas'

Derozan is a 5 time all-star that holds virtually every Raptors scoring record and was our leading scorer during our best years in franchise history and was great ambassador to the team for 9 years, the longest ever for a Raptors player.

He's not a true superstar, but he deserves his jersey retired.

Don't know why you are conflating Demar with Bargnani, Green and JV.

The disrespect is real.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,508

Post#65 » by SFour » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:34 pm

I think Lowry and Demar should have their jerseys retired together...it would make it really special for those two guys. If you really think about it, if Demar wasn't good enough we don't get Kawhi or the championship.
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#66 » by Mikistan » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:07 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
dontsettle4less wrote:

and Danny Green's

And Jonas Valanciunas'

Derozan is a 5 time all-star that holds virtually every Raptors scoring record and was our leading scorer during our best years in franchise history and was great ambassador to the team for 9 years, the longest ever for a Raptors player.

The disrespect is real.

I am responding to the quote above - read it

The trade was not Demar for Kawhi - Demar + Poeltl + Pick got it done, as in Demar alone was not enough value to get Kawhi.

Poeltl was in there too -- which means "without him we don't get Kawhi" and how did we get Poeltl? Bargnani for a pick . So therefore Bargnani was indirectly part of the reason we got Kawhi.

You want to quote counting stats that help Derozan look better because of longevity? He lucked out because our rock-pounding coach thrust him into the 1A role when he didn't deserve it. We traded Volume for development to manufacture a max contract star and shipped him out the door when a real star was available. That was just smart Masai work - Demar doesn't develop to that contract unless Casey gave him minutes and shots from his rookie/sophmore year with no slaps on the wrist for bad play (until the playoffs when he gets even worse)

You want to say he was here for our best years? False, he was not here last year, and last year was our best year. Fact.

Demar disrespected the game - every single game - on the defensive end.

Thats the real disrespect.

Either way I don't hate Demar - I love Demar - he was good enough to help get us Kawhi - so he deserves praise for that and for "loyalty"

Loyalty to getting a near-max contract that no other team could offer him because of us.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,671

Post#67 » by Vampirate » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:13 pm

Yup.

It can't be overstated how much of a night and day difference it is between the Lowry era and anything previous when it comes to the Raptors and winning.
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#68 » by Danny1616 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:17 pm

Mikistan wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:

and Danny Green's

And Jonas Valanciunas'

The disrespect is real.

The trade was not Demar for Kawhi - Demar + Poeltl + Pick got it done, as in Demar alone was not enough value to get Kawhi.

Poeltl was in there too -- which means "without him we don't get Kawhi" and how did we get Poeltl? Bargnani for a pick . So therefore Bargnani was indirectly part of the reason we got Kawhi.

You want to quote counting stats that help Derozan look better because of longevity? He lucked out because our rock-pounding coach thrust him into the 1A role when he didn't deserve it. We traded Volume for development to manufacture a max contract star and shipped him out the door when a real star was available. That was just smart Masai work - Demar doesn't develop to that contract unless Casey gave him minutes and shots from his rookie/sophmore year with no slaps on the wrist for bad play (until the playoffs when he gets even worse)

You want to say he was here for our best years? False, he was not here last year, and last year was our best year. Fact.

Either way I don't hate Demar - I love Demar - he was good enough to help get us Kawhi - so he deserves praise for that and for "loyalty"

Loyalty to getting a near-max contract that no other team could offer him because of us.

I never argued Demar should have his jersey retired based on him getting us Kawhi.

Demar deserves his jersey retired from his contributions from 2009-2018.

I'm not saying Demar is a superstar player, but in terms of contributions to the team and accomplishments, he along with Lowry did more than anyone in the organization.

When you take our 25 years of existence...the golden era was between 2014-2019. Demar was here for 5 of those years and led the team in scoring each year.

No one is disputing that Demar was given every opportunity to flourish and at times too much, but you cannot negate his accomplishments.

It's a really pathetic and weak argument you are making.

If we never won a championship, Demar would still be deserving of his jersey being retired.
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#69 » by Mikistan » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:35 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:

The disrespect is real.

I never argued Demar should have his jersey retired based on him getting us Kawhi.

I'm not saying Demar is a superstar player, but in terms of contributions to the team and accomplishments, he along with Lowry did more than anyone in the organization.

When you take our 25 years of existence...the golden era was between 2014-2019. Demar was here for 5 of those years and led the team in scoring each year.

No one is disputing that Demar was given every opportunity to flourish and at times too much, but you cannot negate his accomplishments.

If we never won a championship, Demar would still be deserving of his jersey being retired.

And I never argued demar should NOT have his jersey retired.

Really pathetic and weak tho, thanks for that
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#70 » by Danny1616 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:39 pm

Mikistan wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Mikistan wrote: I am responding to the quote above - read it

Yeah it's weak that you provided no substance to your argument and provided no context as well.

Demar is very deserving of getting his jersey retired based on statistics, accomplishments to the team success, longevity, scoring records, loyalty, relationship with the organization etc.

Your only argument is that Demar wasn't with us when we want a championship. There are many players who never won championships, let alone had the team success that Demar had, and got their jerseys retired.
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#71 » by Mikistan » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:41 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:

Yeah it's weak that you provided no substance to your argument and provided no context as well.

Demar is very deserving of getting his jersey retired based on statistics, accomplishments to the team success, longevity, scoring records, loyalty, relationship with the organization etc.

Your only argument is that Demar wasn't with us when we want a championship. There are many players who never won championships, let alone had the team success that Demar had, and got their jerseys retired.

Ok
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,146

Post#72 » by xAIRNESSx » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:42 pm

It's basically a lock especially if Kyle makes the hof.

If his number isn't retired, no one's will be.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,146

Post#73 » by xAIRNESSx » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:57 pm

Mikistan wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:

and Danny Green's

And Jonas Valanciunas'

The disrespect is real.

That's a bit disingenuous. DeMar was clearly the key piece in that deal. Poeltl could've been substituted but without DeMar, we don't get Kawhi.

It's also a bit unfair to credit DeMar's development entirely to Casey. DeRozan wasn't a natural basketball talent, but he was an extremely hard worker who improved his game every season.

He was in the position to demand the full max but didn't. He took less and didn't even meet with other teams because of the loyalty he felt to Toronto.
almatic
Veteran
And1: 1,713

Post#74 » by almatic » Wed Oct 9, 2019 9:08 pm

scirocco53 wrote:
dontsettle4less wrote:1000% and to be honest I hope they do it for Derozen too. Without him we don't get Kawhi and what we built wouldn't have existed. These two are a big part of how we won this year. I will cherish that feeling and that moment forever.

Keeping it real right there. Lowry and DerRozan are the only players who deserve to get their jersey's retired. All others simply don't.

If this was Reddit I'd get crazy downvotes for this, but I don't see how you can retire Demar's number without retiring Kawhi's. Regardless if it was just one season, Championships are what you play for, and Kawhi brought that here while winning Finals MVP.
SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,817

Post#75 » by SaveTheHens » Wed Oct 9, 2019 9:13 pm

I'd say for sure.

I'm not even sure if people remember what a tear Lowry went on when we first traded for him. I feel like he had 30 point games and was just willing himself, but we were coming short, and then he got injured.

What a journey it's been from there. Happy for him. And he's still got more to prove now with Kawhi gone, I hope he helps lead us to the ECF
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,410

Post#76 » by And1+2 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 9:50 pm

Lowry, absolutely.

Demar, absolutely not.
bobbyp3588
Senior
And1: 497

Post#77 » by bobbyp3588 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:03 am

Of course we should. No question.

The real question is do we rename Lower Bay (Front - Lakeshore) Kyle Lowry Blvd.? Or simply, Lowry Lane?
mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Post#78 » by mrsocko » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:22 am

They should name a nice quiet street after him with a parking area overlooking the City. Someday kids could be conceived on Lowry Lane.
Dick expectation level 0/5
JamesTheRoofer
Sophomore
And1: 206

Post#79 » by JamesTheRoofer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:39 am

100% Yes. I like the Idea of "Lowry Lane" as the previous poster has stated.
That way when someone calls me, I can say that I am driving the "Lowry Lane"

Go Champs Go!
vbmeer
Pro Prospect
And1: 735

Post#80 » by vbmeer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:42 am

If the franchise values Derozan as being worthy of a jersey retirement, they also valued Kawhi more than Derozan in admittingly trading Demar and however many years he would continue to be in the franchise + other stuff just for the risk of Kawhi leaving after a year because they knew Derozan`s value to the franchise wasn't worth more than that chance.

Kawhi put in the greatest playoff run of any Raptors franchise player, and it wasn't close. If you retire Demar's number, Kawhi has to go up as well at some point.

Return to Toronto Raptors