ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Visiting Toronto

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Re: OT: Visiting Toronto 

Post#21 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:35 pm

T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS wrote:While I am happy that people are coming to visit this great city of ours, this thread always seems to pop up every couple weeks.

Maybe we need a sticky thread just for visitors to Toronto.

exactly what i was thinking.

my advice is always the same. wander west/northwest on foot along queen from yonge for as much of the day as you can. stores, food, great neighbourhoods and parks for many miles. endless stuff to explore and a great way to get a feel for life in toronto. and of course utterly safe...
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,910

Post#22 » by lolwut » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Don't forget Rexdale.
2023-2024 FatherTrackerâ„¢ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#23 » by howlin mad axer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:20 pm

kilpin wrote:Hi guys,
semi-OT here :)

I am coming over from Europe for the home opener and I am staying in Toronto for 4/5 days, I thought this might be the best place to ask some suggestions on things to visit in Toronto or day trips in the surrounding area.

Thanks in advance for your great help and Let's Go Raptors!

Tell us more about yourself, what country are you from, where do you live now?
noname2797
Sophomore
And1: 88

Post#24 » by noname2797 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:23 pm

whatamoron wrote:
ontnut wrote:Kensington Market for hipster stuff
Markham for Asian/Chinese food
Entertainment district for clubs/bars
Yorkville for high end shopping
Queens Quay for some lakeside chills
Trinity Bellwoods/Ossington/Parkdale for more mid-priced eclectic dining and beer
Bar Isabel for one of my top 3 restos in TO
Brampton for the lols

Brampton, Mississauga, and Jane / Finch area for the shooting sprees (who knows you might bring home a souvenir bullet)

I really hope you don't actually think Brampton/Mississauga is akin to low-income areas in America.. It makes me think of the connotation people have with it is because it's lower-income immigrant areas.
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#25 » by howlin mad axer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:24 pm

lolwut wrote:Don't forget Rexdale.

I should have said this before when someone was putting down Woodbine, but I like Rexdale, it's near Humber College, it's by Woodbine, there's some nice ravine property off the Humber river. Definitely got a bad rap, but North Etobicoke isn't all bad. Oh yeah and it's close to the airport, which is usually considered bad, but it's better not having to sit in traffic if you are a jetsetter.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,021

Post#26 » by ontnut » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Reeko wrote:
Trinity Bellwoods/Ossington/Parkdale for more mid-priced eclectic dining and beer
Brampton for the lols

Why are you making him go so far north for Chinese food when he can just go to Spadina and Queen/King?

Because it's not nearly as good. Anyone who knows Chinese food will agree.
All the best places are in Markham/Scarborough. Plus if he's sightseeing anyway, checking out Markham isn't a bad thing...he can go drive through cachet lol
ontnut
RealGM

Post#27 » by ontnut » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:43 pm

noname2797 wrote:
whatamoron wrote:
Brampton for the lols

Brampton, Mississauga, and Jane / Finch area for the shooting sprees (who knows you might bring home a souvenir bullet)

I really hope you don't actually think Brampton/Mississauga is akin to low-income areas in America.. It makes me think of the connotation people have with it is because it's lower-income immigrant areas.

Certain areas are. Certain areas are new-money rich. I lived in Brampton and can say it's really not great out there. All my friends that lived there have, or are in the process of moving outta there.
ontnut
RealGM

Post#28 » by ontnut » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Reeko wrote:
Black Watch wrote:
Reeko wrote:
Why are you making him go so far north for Chinese food when he can just go to Spadina and Queen/King?

Ain't no Chinese food at Spadina and Queen/King... Spadina and Dundas is where it's at. Got to get the streets right for these out-of-towners. Kind and Spadina is where the King West scene begins (between there and Bathurst), so poor Kilpin might get lost in some gino joints looking for hoisen sauce.

There's some but yeah, Spadina and Dundas is more accurate.

If you're going to go to the downtown chinatown, I guess you can check out Rol San while it's still there. Probably the most famous Chinese resto downtown.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#29 » by XxIronChainzxX » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:51 pm

kilpin wrote:Thanks everybody for your suggestions!

One last question, what weather should I expect?

It's hard to say. The weather has been warm but it's cooling. I think it's 13C + rain today. I think you should expect it to be (usually) sunny but kind of around that temperature range. Probably 13-14 C.

For me that's coat weather but nothing extreme. I might wear a top coat but sometimes that can be too hot.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#30 » by XxIronChainzxX » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:53 pm

howlin mad axer wrote:
lolwut wrote:Don't forget Rexdale.

I should have said this before when someone was putting down Woodbine, but I like Rexdale, it's near Humber College, it's by Woodbine, there's some nice ravine property off the Humber river. Definitely got a bad rap, but North Etobicoke isn't all bad. Oh yeah and it's close to the airport, which is usually considered bad, but it's better not having to sit in traffic if you are a jetsetter.

If you live or stay downtown the UP makes getting to Pearson very easy. It's a very fast trip, and convenient too as it takes you into the terminal.
noname2797
Sophomore
And1: 88

Post#31 » by noname2797 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:31 pm

ontnut wrote:
noname2797 wrote:
whatamoron wrote:Brampton, Mississauga, and Jane / Finch area for the shooting sprees (who knows you might bring home a souvenir bullet)

Certain areas are. Certain areas are new-money rich. I lived in Brampton and can say it's really not great out there. All my friends that lived there have, or are in the process of moving outta there.

LOL have you been to low-income areas in the US? They're almost third world. There's absolutely NOTHING like that in Brampton. You guys are insane. Go to Detroit, Flint, Gary Indiana, etc. etc. That's just places in the Midwest too.

Does this look like Brampton to you?
Nocturne
Analyst
And1: 2,401

Post#32 » by Nocturne » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:25 pm

noname2797 wrote:
ontnut wrote:
noname2797 wrote:

LOL have you been to low-income areas in the US? They're almost third world. There's absolutely NOTHING like that in Brampton. You guys are insane. Go to Detroit, Flint, Gary Indiana, etc. etc. That's just places in the Midwest too.

Yup, for how big of a city Toronto is, the issues there are really not that bad if you compare it to American cities. Another example is how I thought I was familiar with homeless people in Toronto, that is until I lived in Seattle and when I visited San Francisco, where these cities are smaller but have so many more issues with drug addiction and homelessness.
kavan
General Manager
And1: 89

Post#33 » by kavan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:12 pm

I would suggest a few things:

Site See: (Most Google searches will suggest the same - generic)
CN Tower
Ripleys
Niagara Falls
Dundas Square

Shopping:
Yorkdale
Eaton Center
Sherway Gardens
Square one (maybe)

Eating:
Oh man.. depends we have all kinds of food from middle eastern, poutine is great and lots of options downtown.

Bars/Clubs:
Rebel
EFS
Regulars
AndCO - Wednesday Night
WildFlower
Lavelle - amazing roof top
Thompson - another nice roof top
Bisha - another wicked roof top.

Other than that just wander around lots of friendly people Ubers is likely the way to travel. When you land at Pearson there is a train that takes you downtown from the Airport if you want to save on a taxi. Welcome to the 6ix!
Raptors, Leafs, Jays. #Toronto
In The City
Sophomore
And1: 206

Post#34 » by In The City » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:14 pm

kilpin wrote:Hi guys,
semi-OT here :)

I am coming over from Europe for the home opener and I am staying in Toronto for 4/5 days, I thought this might be the best place to ask some suggestions on things to visit in Toronto or day trips in the surrounding area.

Thanks in advance for your great help and Let's Go Raptors!

Hey, I've been living downtown T.O for for many years. Here's advice I would give to a friend...

Ossington/Dundas- hipster restaurants, some clubs....just south of Dundas on Queen is continues with the hipster vibe/shops a little west, but you would want to mainly go east on Queen from there towards Trinity Bellwoods Park (very popular for picnics, drinking, hanging) which officially brings you to Queen West. Lots of shops, restaurants (Terroni, SUD are favs for foodies). Keep walking east on Queen from there towards Bathurst, then towards Spadina (again lots of food/shopping). From there, you can continue east on Queen towards Yonge where it gets more mainstream (you'll also walk by Nathan Phillips Square - where they ended the Raptors Chip Parade and hit the Eaton Centre). Just north of there you'll be at Dundas Square - lots of people, events, and continue on Yonge St (lots of mainstream and non-mainstream guck----I avoid Yonge St. if I can!).

Go to Spadina and Dundas-
A) just east towards Mcaul St. is the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario). North of Mcaul and Dundas you'll hit Baldwin- that's a cool strip with food and cafe's.
B) you're in Chinatown so lots of restaurants- my fav is Rol San (Serge Ibaka's favourite place) and Taste of China across from Rol San.
c) Kensington Market - must visit, very ethnic/hipster/vintage shops. You'll find a huge line-up at 7 Lives Taco joint (Paul Pierce ate and shot a video from there during the Finals on his bike).

Yorkville- celebrities will visit/stay here - high end fashion shops/restaurants - some not as expensive as you would think. Very close to the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum).

There's Harbourfront, Annex West , College St. (Little Italy), West Annex (Bathurst/Bloor area).
King St. between Spadina and Bathurst have cool places to eat - clubs too around that area. Some high end.

Anyways, have fun in Toronto. It's a great city but be warned of the crazy construction everywhere!
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,930

Post#35 » by Anticon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:48 pm

I would check out blogto and Toronto life, they’ll have all the recommendations you’ll need.

Covers food, neighbourhoods, day trips, etc.

Then check back here on if what you’re planning makes sense.
at87on
Rookie
And1: 348

Post#36 » by at87on » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:When people ask me what is the best thing to do when visiting toronto, I usually say:

Take the train to Montreal....

He's from Europe, so I imagine Montreal would be more like home.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#37 » by agkagk » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:11 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:When people ask me what is the best thing to do when visiting toronto, I usually say:

Take the train to Montreal....

the man is not wrong.

One of the best, most cosmopolitan and fun cities in north america-- but cold, very, very cold in the winter.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#38 » by agkagk » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:12 pm

noname2797 wrote:
ontnut wrote:
noname2797 wrote:

I always assumed thats what sarnia looks like :o
Moon Walk
Bench Warmer
And1: 162

Post#39 » by Moon Walk » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:11 pm

Dont forget Jane & Finch and Malvern Town Centre.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,475

Post#40 » by bballsparkin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:46 pm

ontnut wrote:All the best places are in Markham/Scarborough. Plus if he's sightseeing anyway, checking out Markham isn't a bad thing...he can go drive through cachet lol

4-5 days and you're going to visit Markham? Not me lol.

I don't know about high end restaurants but Swatow is pretty damn tasty.

Return to Toronto Raptors