ImageImageImageImageImage

Casey on the Toronto Raptors’ title: "It really energized me"

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Re: Casey on the Toronto Raptors’ title: 

Post#121 » by Boogie! » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:12 pm

SHFT wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
canada_dry wrote:His lack of adjustments alone in a playoff series would have cost us.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app

You mean like playing fvv all Philly series even tho he did absolutely nothing and the match ups obviously are the reason he struggled...

I think Casey is super petty but I hate how people act like nurse is some genius that fixed all Casey's mistakes...

My negative opinion on Casey has more to do with this idea that he's so classy and a nice guy, when in fact a lot of what he's shown has been pettiness... If he was so nice he would've congratulated nurse and Masai but instead he basically threw them under the bus, and he still continues to make it seem like he would've done the exact same thing... He never acknowledges his own mistakes and thats a problem as a coach.

But tbh, maybe he would've won a championship with that same roster... I don't see nurse as being some supe genius innovator that everyone's making him seem to be... Let's not forget he was also part of the Casey raptors squad that got swept all those years... There's two sides o every story and I still feel like there's underlying beef between the two.

Also Casey acts like he's all about karma I wonder how he's gonna feel in a couple of years if detroit still hasn't progressed into a contender, and the pistons need a scapegoat and end up firing him. What's he gonna say then?
Except sticking with Freddy proved to be right. Proper coach knows which players to ride or die with. Also I believe Mccaw was injured in that series.

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app

Fvv played well after the Philly series. Doesn't mean he should've been playing during it.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Post#122 » by SHFT » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:20 pm

Boogie! wrote:
SHFT wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
You mean like playing fvv all Philly series even tho he did absolutely nothing and the match ups obviously are the reason he struggled...

I think Casey is super petty but I hate how people act like nurse is some genius that fixed all Casey's mistakes...

My negative opinion on Casey has more to do with this idea that he's so classy and a nice guy, when in fact a lot of what he's shown has been pettiness... If he was so nice he would've congratulated nurse and Masai but instead he basically threw them under the bus, and he still continues to make it seem like he would've done the exact same thing... He never acknowledges his own mistakes and thats a problem as a coach.

But tbh, maybe he would've won a championship with that same roster... I don't see nurse as being some supe genius innovator that everyone's making him seem to be... Let's not forget he was also part of the Casey raptors squad that got swept all those years... There's two sides o every story and I still feel like there's underlying beef between the two.

Also Casey acts like he's all about karma I wonder how he's gonna feel in a couple of years if detroit still hasn't progressed into a contender, and the pistons need a scapegoat and end up firing him. What's he gonna say then?
Except sticking with Freddy proved to be right. Proper coach knows which players to ride or die with. Also I believe Mccaw was injured in that series.

Fvv played well after the Philly series. Doesn't mean he should've been playing during it.

Who would you have played though? And obviously this is hindsight but if Nurse benched him and his confidence dropped even a bit, who is to say how well he plays (if at all) in the subsequent series.
vbmeer
Pro Prospect
And1: 735

Post#123 » by vbmeer » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:29 pm

SHFT wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
SHFT wrote:Except sticking with Freddy proved to be right. Proper coach knows which players to ride or die with. Also I believe Mccaw was injured in that series.

Who would you have played though? And obviously this is hindsight but if Nurse benched him and his confidence dropped even a bit, who is to say how well he plays (if at all) in the subsequent series.

The hindsight game can also follow in that what if the Raptors lose that series, that Nurse would be destroyed for wasting minutes in not focusing on the series they are currently playing in rather than looking ahead at potential future series'. Especially since FVV was also a non-factor in the Magic series.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Re: Casey on the Toronto Raptors’ title: "It really energized me" 

Post#124 » by StopitLeo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:38 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Dwane Casey and Mike Babcock sure sound alike.

Both have also been helped significantly by their "championship pedigree". With Babcock, people forget that the Red Wings were already one of the best (if not the best) teams in the league when he took over. The also forget that the year they won the cup it was only after their backup goalie took over midway through the first round. I know Osgood split the regular season with Hasek but maybe Osgood should have been Plan A since he had quite arguably been better in the regular season.

On the topic of goalies, I will cut Babcock some slack because you aren't winning a cup without one of the top goalies in the league, which the Leafs have lacked. Kinda like how you aren't winning an NBA title without an MVP level player.
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Post#125 » by SHFT » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:01 pm

vbmeer wrote:
SHFT wrote:
Boogie! wrote:

The hindsight game can also follow in that what if the Raptors lose that series, that Nurse would be destroyed for wasting minutes in not focusing on the series they are currently playing in rather than looking ahead at potential future series'. Especially since FVV was also a non-factor in the Magic series.

If the Raptors lost that series Freddy would only be part of that convo. Pascal got shut down (probably would take the biggest hit - he is not ready to be anything but a 3rd option) and players were scared to shoot all together. The entire team minus Kawhi and Serge (once we went big) was bad that series. The narrative would have been that even with Kawhi (and Gasol), we were not good enough with this core of players and we should blow the entire thing up.

Who would you have played instead of Freddy? No one is answering that. Mckaw was down and J Lin is worse than Freddy even with Freddy going as cold as he did.
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,887

Post#126 » by Tacoma » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:04 pm

Boogie! wrote:
canada_dry wrote:His lack of adjustments alone in a playoff series would have cost us.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app

The 2 highlighted points you made above aren't really congruent. If he would've won a championship with the same roster then the problem was with the roster and not coaching and he should not have been fired and he'd be right to be pissed.

I was a big Casey hater and disagreed vehemently with Masai extending him twice with raises each time. I don't see Nurse as "some super genius innovator" but he's better than Casey and I absolutely do not believe Casey could win with Nurse's roster.
Double Bubble
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#127 » by Double Bubble » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:26 pm

Takes credit for the chip he wasn't here for yet pointed fingers and placed the blame on anyone but himself the entire time he actually was head coach

This dude has made a career as a snake oil salesman just like the clown who hired him

Casey the clown what a joker. Guy is delusional
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#128 » by JN » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:31 pm

I have no hard feelings against Casey.

I think he helped is and did not hinder us overall. But he was not the man to put us over the top -- that doesn't mean he is a clown, petty, or terrible coach.

I don't think any of his comments were that bad or petty. He was asked a question and answered it in a decent way.
jrask
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,158

Post#129 » by jrask » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:20 pm

Casey couldn't help but make the Raptors championship about himself
No rebounds No rings
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#130 » by Joker » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:50 pm

jrask wrote:Casey couldn't help but make the Raptors championship about himself

"I'm happy to see the success my ex-wife has enjoyed after leaving me. I'm really happy for her. People think I'm bitter but I'm not. It just validates me and how I laid the groundwork for her success, and what a great husband I actually was." -- Casey's warped attempt at being magnanimous.

Doug Smith: "Casey is a class act through and through. Just look at the high road he's taken with his ex, singing her praises. And he addressed me by my first name as well."
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,433

Post#131 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:23 pm

More and more Casey's true colours are coming out.

He's an egotistical know-it-all dough bag.

Good riddance that he is gone from here. FU Dwane.
Wizdome
Starter
And1: 2,677

Post#132 » by Wizdome » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:54 pm

As flawed as Casey was at the coaching position for our team, or the mistakes we felt he could have changed. We can't deny the positive growth that he brought to this team that eventually led us here to where we are now. I believe we were a 25 or 26 win team before Casey came on board and we progressively got better each year. I was one of those who would criticize him also, but be humble and give props to those who helped us on our journey. Enjoy the ride.
I like you.
Hackett
Senior
And1: 672

Post#133 » by Hackett » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:41 am

jrask wrote:Casey couldn't help but make the Raptors championship about himself

There is nothing wrong with what he has said. Those of you guys getting butt hurt over this comment really need to get some thicker skin, its embarrassing. We should be happy that others are using our success as positive reality check.

Those of you expecting people to fall to their knees and shake from our majesty are beyond ridiculous. All I see is positive in what he has said, but some of you cry babies feel like you are owed some sort of a forced bow before your greatness.

I wish more people could use the success of others and apply it to themselves as a positive reinforcement. There is nothing wrong with this, it is what winners do. People who are successful look to the success of others and see how that can motivate them, losers pound pavement and sleep.

I was one of the ones that was angry at the coaching change, mainly because I saw what happened with Sam Mitchell and rookie NBA coach Jay Triano. The minute Jay got the reigns he threw out everything good that worked. The team with Marion and Bosh could not even return to the playoffs in a weak east. Nurse did NOT DO THAT, he took what worked from Casey and built upon it! Casey deserves a lot of credit, but now that I see the subtle improvements that Nurse has made, I have a lot of respect for Nurse, we really got very lucky to have someone of his caliber. If Casey had anything to do with bringing him over, than we owe Casey for nurturing such a competent understudy.

As a competitor Casey must and should think the way he does.

Also, lets not forget that Nurse got Kawhi instead of Derozan, Gasol instead of JV. Those of you who do not see how important these two swaps are have no business criticizing Casey.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,594

Post#134 » by dTox » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:13 pm

Is this the equivalent of those who in years past continuously said Masai was living off of BC's roster?
TBZ for the win
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#135 » by Indeed » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Looking forward to the Wednesday Raptors vs Pistons game. Perhaps Casey can claim Lowry being influence by his fundamental approach, however, now without DeRozan, Leonard and Green, I wonder how much would that impact on the remaining players.
Inklink
RealGM
And1: 19,214

Post#136 » by Inklink » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:10 pm

Somehow he managed to take credit for the 'chip. Amazing.

Let's not forget his chip was this:

For lease.
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,451

Post#137 » by KrazyP » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Danny1616 wrote:Casey is a good guy, and is a good coach with many flaws as a coach.

His main issue was always rotations. What set Nurse apart from Casey is that he knew how to adjust and wasn't bound to the same line-ups and rotation minutes every single game.

Agreed but on the flipside, several of Casey's teams actually overachieved given the amount of scrubs, underdeveloped rookies/sophomores and players playing out of position in the lineup. The teams he had on paper were never meant to be a dominant playoff force/contender so we should give Casey-Lowry-Derozan-JV credit for multiple 50-60 win seasons and multiple 2nd round or better playoff runs.....many teams never get there, even more talented ones.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#138 » by Indeed » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:12 am

KrazyP wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:Casey is a good guy, and is a good coach with many flaws as a coach.

His main issue was always rotations. What set Nurse apart from Casey is that he knew how to adjust and wasn't bound to the same line-ups and rotation minutes every single game.

Agreed but on the flipside, several of Casey's teams actually overachieved given the amount of scrubs, underdeveloped rookies/sophomores and players playing out of position in the lineup. The teams he had on paper were never meant to be a dominant playoff force/contender so we should give Casey-Lowry-Derozan-JV credit for multiple 50-60 win seasons and multiple 2nd round or better playoff runs.....many teams never get there, even more talented ones.

Not sure how much Nurse and other assistant coaches had impact on our previous record.
daswunderboy
Analyst
And1: 2,141

Post#139 » by daswunderboy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:32 am

Casey says he is proud of us winning, that he is proud of what he accomplished here and how it helped build the foundation, and some of the first few comments:

"He's petty". "Still doesn't get it".

I swear, some of our fans are just mentally broken. He didn't criticize the organization at all. He didn't belittle or downplay it. Didn't say he was jealous. Talked about how he was so happy he texted players on the team...and some of you think he's being petty and bad? What on earth is wrong with you???????
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,009

Post#140 » by kalel123 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:14 am

daswunderboy wrote:Casey says he is proud of us winning, that he is proud of what he accomplished here and how it helped build the foundation, and some of the first few comments:

"He's petty". "Still doesn't get it".

I swear, some of our fans are just mentally broken. He didn't criticize the organization at all. He didn't belittle or downplay it. Didn't say he was jealous. Talked about how he was so happy he texted players on the team...and some of you think he's being petty and bad? What on earth is wrong with you???????

It's called connecting the dots and putting two and two together.

Many people's opinions go beyond just this article. It's accumulation of everything that happened in-between, which points to Casey being petty, bitter, jealous, etc. You add this article on top of all that, it just reinforces everything. It's idiotic to just look at this article on its own when there's so much more the history; things he did and said during last season that uncovers intentions behind his words in this article and shows his true colours.

Crediting Casey for the championship is similar to back when DeRozan and JV were still here and people used to say this is basically Colangelo's team and not Ujiri's, which couldn't be further from the truth. Yeah, Colangelo brought some of these players but there are so many other things including roster changes and draft picks that Ujiri brought that changed the team from door mat to a perennial playoff team that Colangelo would've never been able to do. Similarly, we probably ran similar plays last year that we used to run in Casey days because the Nick Nurse used to be lead assistant in those days responsible for offense but there are so many other things that Nurse brought to the table (like making proper adjustments on the fly in playoffs) that Casey was never able to do that helped the team to take the next step. So no, our championship doesn't validate Casey's methods because if Casey was still here doing the same old thing, we wouldn't have won the championship.

Return to Toronto Raptors