ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#1521 » by Indeed » Thu Jun 4, 2020 12:46 am

Dalek wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Dalek wrote:
From what I have read Williams wingpsan is 6-11. Not sure why he would not be able to guard multiple positions and play PF like OG. Also, he is one of the youngest if not the youngest player in the draft so he may still grow more.

I mean I am dreaming a bit because he will not be around at 28, but if he falls to 28 I think he would be an ideal fit. He is a project like the others, but I think how he fit in as a role player at Florida State bodes well for him in a place like Toronto.

He seems like Patrick Patterson. Not just because his name is Patrick. :lol:

I don't agree, but I could see why maybe from the physical profile and the fact that he is more of standstill shooter like Patterson.

Patrick Williams is more of a slasher than Patterson. For Florida State he ran pick and rolls for them at times both as a ball handler and roller, so he is a more versatile player than Patterson when he came to the NBA from Kentucky. Again, he is only turning 19 in August, so he is a fairly young guy that has room to add to his game in a good development system like Toronto.

I think Patman is 6'9 with 7'1 wingspan, which is closer to the average PF than Williams.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,585

Post#1522 » by Syd-TK3 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 2:32 am

Dalek wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:There's really no Bam types. Okongwu would be the closest in terms of defence
but Bam's got a great mix of athleticism, length and passing

I think of Yves Pons being somewhat like Bam Adebayo the modern C - being able to guard multiple positions (he even did great against a big C like Udoka Azubuike); He figured out how to shoot from outside this year and his passing is decent.

While he is only 6-6, I think he has shown that his position is as am undersized C. To get a guy like Pons at the end of the draft would be a good bet.

I've seen his name mentioned before but I think at 6'6 it'd be hard to really make that sorta comparison but I'll check him out
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,206

Post#1523 » by Mark_83 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 9:40 am

Indeed wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Psubs wrote:
He seems like Patrick Patterson. Not just because his name is Patrick. :lol:

I don't agree, but I could see why maybe from the physical profile and the fact that he is more of standstill shooter like Patterson.

Patrick Williams is more of a slasher than Patterson. For Florida State he ran pick and rolls for them at times both as a ball handler and roller, so he is a more versatile player than Patterson when he came to the NBA from Kentucky. Again, he is only turning 19 in August, so he is a fairly young guy that has room to add to his game in a good development system like Toronto.

I think Patman is 6'9 with 7'1 wingspan, which is closer to the average PF than Williams.

Are we sure Williams wingspan is only 6'11? The only reputable source I've found with that number is the Stepien but I don't know if they're just recirculating draftnet measurements. FWIW NBC has it at 7'2.

https://www.collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/03/26/florida-states-patrick-williams-declares-for-nba-draft/amp/

What about Robert Woodard. 7'1 wingspan, 42% from 3pt, and a block and steal per game?
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#1524 » by Psubs » Thu Jun 4, 2020 1:40 pm

Mark_83 wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Are we sure Williams wingspan is only 6'11? The only reputable source I've found with that number is the Stepien but I don't know if they're just recirculating draftnet measurements. FWIW NBC has it at 7'2.

https://www.collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/03/26/florida-states-patrick-williams-declares-for-nba-draft/amp/

What about Robert Woodard. 7'1 wingspan, 42% from 3pt, and a block and steal per game?

He seems like PJ Tucker at best. I'd rather take Reggie Perry, who improved his shooting from his rookie season and just hope that his 32% shooting from 3 will get better, as he shot 76% FT's which is over 10% better than Woodard. Perry can at least play PF/C.

I'm guessing some team will draft Stewart ahead of our pick and Perry might be available at #28.

I'd be okay with taking 1 of Carey, Perry, Stewart, Jalen Smith, Paul Reed, Zeke Nnaji, Tillman or Pokusevski at #28. :lol:
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,568

Post#1525 » by DG88 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 4:41 pm

Sports Illustrated posted their Mock Draft 5.0 yesterday

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/06/03/nba-mock-draft-latest-projections

28. Raptors - Leandro Bolmaro, G, Barcelona
Height: 6’6” | Weight: 180 | Age: 19

Feasibly, Bolmaro could be drafted as high as the teens, or he could slip to the end of the first round. There are teams who love his innate creativity, and others who have expressed concern over his lack of high-level seasoning and shooting struggles. But if he’s willing to stay overseas another year, it’s easy to see more teams warming to him as an upside play. It’s simply hard to find legit combo guards with his size and natural playmaking chops. Until the draft order is set in stone, it’s tough to sus out landing spots. But Toronto is one of the better development situations any rookie can land in, and they can go in a lot of directions with this pick, which will be their first first-round pick since 2020, assuming they keep it.

58. Raptors - Jalen Harris, SG, Nevada

I'm pretty intrigued by Bolmaro as a playmaking wing off the bench would can guard multiple positions. Needs to work on his shooting consistency, team D and decision making. But those are all workable for a 19 year old prospect. He plays with flare and toughness, which I like and is active in passing lanes. Nurse loves players who use their hands to play effective defense and he fits the bill.

Don't have too much information on Jalen Harris but he looks like a guard that can do a bit of everything for you.

I'd be fine with both picks, though I would like to get another C if possible.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#1526 » by Indeed » Thu Jun 4, 2020 4:50 pm

DG88 wrote:Sports Illustrated posted their Mock Draft 5.0 yesterday

Feasibly, Bolmaro could be drafted as high as the teens, or he could slip to the end of the first round. There are teams who love his innate creativity, and others who have expressed concern over his lack of high-level seasoning and shooting struggles. But if he’s willing to stay overseas another year, it’s easy to see more teams warming to him as an upside play. It’s simply hard to find legit combo guards with his size and natural playmaking chops. Until the draft order is set in stone, it’s tough to sus out landing spots. But Toronto is one of the better development situations any rookie can land in, and they can go in a lot of directions with this pick, which will be their first first-round pick since 2020, assuming they keep it.

I'm pretty intrigued by Bolmaro as a playmaking wing off the bench would can guard multiple positions. Needs to work on his shooting consistency, team D and decision making. But those are all workable for a 19 year old prospect. He plays with flare and toughness, which I like and is active in passing lanes. Nurse loves players who use their hands to play effective defense and he fits the bill.

Don't have too much information on Jalen Harris but he looks like a guard that can do a bit of everything for you.

From scouting report, Bolmaro is not good in team defense, and he is not quick enough to guard some players, so I don't think he can guard multiple positions. I think we might draft a SF/PF at 28 instead of PG/SG, and maybe a big at 58.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,206

Post#1527 » by Mark_83 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 5:03 pm

Psubs wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:
Indeed wrote:

He seems like PJ Tucker at best. I'd rather take Reggie Perry, who improved his shooting from his rookie season and just hope that his 32% shooting from 3 will get better, as he shot 76% FT's which is over 10% better than Woodard. Perry can at least play PF/C.

I'm guessing some team will draft Stewart ahead of our pick and Perry might be available at #28.

I'd be okay with taking 1 of Carey, Perry, Stewart, Jalen Smith, Paul Reed, Zeke Nnaji, Tillman or Pokusevski at #28. :lol:

Ew to either Carey or Pok with our pick.

Woodard is nothing like Tucker, but I think you underestimate how valuable a guy like Tucker is to a contending team. I'd love to have Tucker on our team now. Heck, when we drafted him OG was compared to Tucker as a selling point.

Tucker was a 4 in college. He didn't shoot a single three until his junior year, and he was a below the rim player who played bully ball.

Woodard is 3 who's taller, longer, and more athletic (above the rim). Has a nice looking 3 point stroke already, and is a very good shot blocker for a SF. He's a lot closer to OG than he is to Tucker, even similar with their strange 3pt vs FT shooting disparity. I think his better comparable might be Robert Covington though.

Perry is interesting with his skill set for a big. I'd have to check out his defense though to see how he would fit our team. One draw back on him is his lack of length with only a 7'0 wingspan. That's shorter than Woodard who is a small forward, so it's definitely short for a power forward.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,942

Post#1528 » by Kevin Willis » Thu Jun 4, 2020 5:40 pm

Indeed wrote:

From scouting report, Bolmaro is not good in team defense, and he is not quick enough to guard some players, so I don't think he can guard multiple positions. I think we might draft a SF/PF at 28 instead of PG/SG, and maybe a big at 58.

SI needs a better editor. It can't be the first first-round pick since 2020. Well I guess it could but that's not what they meant.

Bolmaro is an on the ball hawk defender. He does lose his man time to time off-ball but Terence Davis had the similar problem in college, it's fixable. If you look at some of his games, he will probably be as good a defender as Norm so it depends how well you rate Norm. Norm can guard 1,2 and small 3 so I think Bolmaro can do the same. I wouldn't keep him overseas. I would have him stay here and develop in our G-League like others.

I also think we will go PF but they will be looking for a certain type. It's possible that what they want might be off the board, in that situation Bolmaro is a good choice.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Steven1562
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,180

Post#1529 » by Steven1562 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 6:08 pm

Anyone else sad that the NBA draft is gonna be in October now :(

Any time y'all wanna see me again
Rewind this track right here, close your eyes
and picture me rollin

Scottie Barnes Believer.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#1530 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Jun 4, 2020 6:47 pm

Steven1562 wrote:Anyone else sad that the NBA draft is gonna be in October now :(

this draft class is way too boring to survive until then
GM89
Sophomore
And1: 203

Post#1531 » by GM89 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 8:02 pm

Mark_83 wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:Are we sure Williams wingspan is only 6'11? The only reputable source I've found with that number is the Stepien but I don't know if they're just recirculating draftnet measurements. FWIW NBC has it at 7'2.

Ew to either Carey or Pok with our pick.

Woodard is nothing like Tucker, but I think you underestimate how valuable a guy like Tucker is to a contending team. I'd love to have Tucker on our team now. Heck, when we drafted him OG was compared to Tucker as a selling point.

Tucker was a 4 in college. He didn't shoot a single three until his junior year, and he was a below the rim player who played bully ball.

Woodard is 3 who's taller, longer, and more athletic (above the rim). Has a nice looking 3 point stroke already, and is a very good shot blocker for a SF. He's a lot closer to OG than he is to Tucker, even similar with their strange 3pt vs FT shooting disparity. I think his better comparable might be Robert Covington though.

Perry is interesting with his skill set for a big. I'd have to check out his defense though to see how he would fit our team. One draw back on him is his lack of length with only a 7'0 wingspan. That's shorter than Woodard who is a small forward, so it's definitely short for a power forward.

If Woodward can decently defend 1-3 or 2-4 in space and make stationary 3s at a decent % then I got no issues at taking him at #28.
If he ends being anything like Tucker or Covington then the pick will be considered a major win. Both of those guys are high demand glue guys that every aspiring championship team chases after.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1532 » by Psubs » Thu Jun 4, 2020 8:13 pm

GM89 wrote:If Woodward can decently defend 1-3 or 2-4 in space and make stationary 3s at a decent % then I got no issues at taking him at #28.
If he ends being anything like Tucker or Covington then the pick will be considered a major win. Both of those guys are high demand glue guys that every aspiring championship team chases after.

Woodard looks like a poor man's Miles Bridges in Charlotte with worse passing and FT shooting.
GM89
Sophomore
And1: 203

Post#1533 » by GM89 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 8:21 pm

Psubs wrote:
GM89 wrote:If Woodward can decently defend 1-3 or 2-4 in space and make stationary 3s at a decent % then I got no issues at taking him at #28.

Woodard looks like a poor man's Miles Bridges in Charlotte with worse passing and FT shooting.

I can see that, I mean Bridges was a late lottery pick. I think for Masai to choose Woodard it will mean he can defend well in space and shows potential as a floor spacer.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,735

Post#1534 » by BoyzNTheHood » Thu Jun 4, 2020 8:37 pm

How do people feel about Lindy Waters as an UDFA? There aren't many prettier jump shots that I've ever seen in my life watching basketball than his. It reminds me of Klay Thompson.

deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#1535 » by Dalek » Thu Jun 4, 2020 9:00 pm

Wow those are two guys I have been reviewing heavily lately so it is interesting. Bolmaro is hard to ignore for his size and creativity, but he struggled to score getting to the basket and his strength and lack of burst are concerns. But, if you talk about feel for running PG, I put him right up there for guys you want to take a chance on. He played on a team with Mirotic, and other seriously decent players, and he played well in his role. In a lot of ways he could be like a Pat McCaw with a bit more offense.

Harris has been right up there for me even at 28. I mean you compare him to guys like Riller, Jones, Pritchard etc., he is has a lot of advantages over them. I think most people think that at 6-5 he is a SG, but he ran a lot of point and knows how to play pick and roll really well having a nearly a 4-2 assist-to-turnover ratio, and can score on three levels.

His size, skill and demeanor remind me of Norman Powell. Why I really like him is that despite being their team leading scorer, he wasn't shying away from taking on other roles. He played as an off-ball scorer and was pretty decent at spot up shooting. He also was a decent defender chasing guys around screens despite a killer workload. Not sure of the fit with Toronto's roster considering Powell and Davis being combo guards, but he is a good athlete and natural scorer.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#1536 » by Indeed » Thu Jun 4, 2020 9:49 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Steven1562 wrote:Anyone else sad that the NBA draft is gonna be in October now :(

this draft class is way too boring to survive until then

Lack of measurement and news didn't help.
The draft board has been around the same with lack of video / scouting materials and measurement, it would be difficult to understand the prospects without further more information at this stage.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#1537 » by Indeed » Thu Jun 4, 2020 9:55 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
Indeed wrote:

SI needs a better editor. It can't be the first first-round pick since 2020. Well I guess it could but that's not what they meant.

Bolmaro is an on the ball hawk defender. He does lose his man time to time off-ball but Terence Davis had the similar problem in college, it's fixable. If you look at some of his games, he will probably be as good a defender as Norm so it depends how well you rate Norm. Norm can guard 1,2 and small 3 so I think Bolmaro can do the same. I wouldn't keep him overseas. I would have him stay here and develop in our G-League like others.

I also think we will go PF but they will be looking for a certain type. It's possible that what they want might be off the board, in that situation Bolmaro is a good choice.

I don't think Bolmaro has the lateral quickness and first step of Davis.
Davis actually has a good first step.

If we are looking for Norm replacement as the 6th man, that would be an option, but he does not have Powell measurement. I think we are looking replacing defense for offense, not necessarily an improvement, and neither address our needs (eg. rebounding).
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,735

Post#1538 » by BoyzNTheHood » Thu Jun 4, 2020 10:13 pm

Joe was my first love in this draft, and is now considered a 2nd round to undrafted prospect, which is ludicrous. This kid has more talent in his pinky finger than 90% of this draft, and he could flourish in our developmental system.

Read on Twitter
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,942

Post#1539 » by Kevin Willis » Thu Jun 4, 2020 11:54 pm

Indeed wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:
Indeed wrote:

I don't think Bolmaro has the lateral quickness and first step of Davis.
Davis actually has a good first step.

If we are looking for Norm replacement as the 6th man, that would be an option, but he does not have Powell measurement. I think we are looking replacing defense for offense, not necessarily an improvement, and neither address our needs (eg. rebounding).

Yeah you're right, he doesn't have the length and athleticism of a Norm or TD according to this recent article.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2020/6/3/21278866/potential-2020-nba-draft-targets-for-the-spurs-leandro-bolmaro

Still he might not be available at our pick suprisingly. Hopefully someone good drops into our lap. I hope it's Nesmith.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1540 » by Psubs » Fri Jun 5, 2020 12:24 am

Kevin Willis wrote:
Yeah you're right, he doesn't have the length and athleticism of a Norm or TD according to this recent article.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2020/6/3/21278866/potential-2020-nba-draft-targets-for-the-spurs-leandro-bolmaro

Still he might not be available at our pick suprisingly. Hopefully someone good drops into our lap. I hope it's Nesmith.

Nesmith is like a Doug McDermott shooter. Someone is going to use a pick in the teens on him.

He shot well in HS and his freshman season might be the anomaly. He should shoot around 40% in the pros. Can't see him making it past 20 Philly 21 Dallas 22 Memphis.

Return to Toronto Raptors