ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

GM89
Sophomore
And1: 203

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#2161 » by GM89 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:09 pm

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2904028-ranking-the-top-10-nba-draft-sleepers-outside-the-lottery.amp.html

From the bleacher list I wouldn't mind if either one of Malachi Flynn, Desmond Bane, Xavier Tillman, Grant Riller, or Josh Green to be selected at 28.

Our defense is currently elite but our offense can always use a boost. Malachi Flynn, aka Fred 2.0 makes sense seeing that next year likely going to be Lowery's last dance.3pt shooting and playmaking is a premium in today's league and Flynn can do both very well. Doesn't hurt that he is a solid on the ball defender as well.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,200

Post#2162 » by Mark_83 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:11 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:So I haven't been paying attention to the draft class this year, so school me please guys...whos the top 5 on the Raptors big board.

There's no consensus but the most often mentioned names are:

Tillman
Reed
Mays
Bane
Smith
Flynn
Bey
Oturu
Dotson
BallstriKer
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#2163 » by BallstriKer » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:30 am

Does any of Tillman / Reed / Stewart or any other Cs that could fall to us project to be better than Dewan?
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#2164 » by Psubs » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:44 am

BallstriKer wrote:Does any of Tillman / Reed / Stewart or any other Cs that could fall to us project to be better than Dewan?

Tillman is a better passer and post-defender. Reed is more like a forward version of Boucher that gets steals too. Stewart seems to be stronger than Dewan.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2165 » by Psubs » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:46 am

GM89 wrote:https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2904028-ranking-the-top-10-nba-draft-sleepers-outside-the-lottery.amp.html

From the bleacher list I wouldn't mind if either one of Malachi Flynn, Desmond Bane, Xavier Tillman, Grant Riller, or Josh Green to be selected at 28.

Our defense is currently elite but our offense can always use a boost. Malachi Flynn, aka Fred 2.0 makes sense seeing that next year likely going to be Lowery's last dance.3pt shooting and playmaking is a premium in today's league and Flynn can do both very well. Doesn't hurt that he is a solid on the ball defender as well.

Right now the Raptors are tied with the Lakers at 52-19 and won the season series 2-0, so they are drafting #29. If they lose tomorrow, Raptors will take back the #28 slot.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#2166 » by HeadtopChunes » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:47 am

BallstriKer wrote:Does any of Tillman / Reed / Stewart or any other Cs that could fall to us project to be better than Dewan?

Can’t answer that really, don’t know much about Dewan since he’s barely played at all (like 300 minutes in the last 2 years)
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#2167 » by casual_raps_fan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:23 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Doing 6 courses, taking care of his family, AND declaring for the NBA draft? So much respect for him.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach

Post#2168 » by Mark_83 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:51 am

Psubs wrote:
GM89 wrote:https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2904028-ranking-the-top-10-nba-draft-sleepers-outside-the-lottery.amp.html

Right now the Raptors are tied with the Lakers at 52-19 and won the season series 2-0, so they are drafting #29. If they lose tomorrow, Raptors will take back the #28 slot.

Are we wanting to win tomorrow?
Mark_83
Assistant Coach

Post#2169 » by Mark_83 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:04 am

Can anyone who has watched Naji Marshall comment on his defense? He's got good size and wingspan for a SF, and an elite handle. Rebounds well, can make plays off the dribble (but turnover prone). Shooting percentage is bad but the shot itself doesn't look broken. Kind of reminds me of a poor man's Jamal Mashburn.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2170 » by HeadtopChunes » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:23 pm

Mark_83 wrote:Can anyone who has watched Naji Marshall comment on his defense? He's got good size and wingspan for a SF, and an elite handle. Rebounds well, can make plays off the dribble (but turnover prone). Shooting percentage is bad but the shot itself doesn't look broken. Kind of reminds me of a poor man's Jamal Mashburn.

Defense is probably his best or at least most translatable attribute, he’s got good size and quick feet and is pretty smart. Just not gonna wow you with any blocks or steals type thing. Could be a positive defender in the NBA

casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#2171 » by casual_raps_fan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:51 pm

Mark_83 wrote:Can anyone who has watched Naji Marshall comment on his defense? He's got good size and wingspan for a SF, and an elite handle. Rebounds well, can make plays off the dribble (but turnover prone). Shooting percentage is bad but the shot itself doesn't look broken. Kind of reminds me of a poor man's Jamal Mashburn.

Off topic but I think Jamal Mashburn was ahead of his time. He'd be far more useful in today's league.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach

Post#2172 » by Mark_83 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:16 pm

casual_raps_fan wrote:

Off topic but I think Jamal Mashburn was ahead of his time. He'd be far more useful in today's league.

On offense definitely. He was a legit point forward. On defense he left a lot to be desired though.
BallstriKer
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#2173 » by BallstriKer » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:25 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:

Can’t answer that really, don’t know much about Dewan since he’s barely played at all (like 300 minutes in the last 2 years)
It's interesting, Dewan is flashing some promise, I like his willingness to shoot the ball. Admittedly he would have been picked higher last year had he not missed a full season. In this year's draft, he could've been in the same range as those guys, possibly?
Mark_83
Assistant Coach

Post#2174 » by Mark_83 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:10 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:

Defense is probably his best or at least most translatable attribute, he’s got good size and quick feet and is pretty smart. Just not gonna wow you with any blocks or steals type thing. Could be a positive defender in the NBA

Thanks. He's definitely interesting then. Having another secondary or even primary ball handler at the 3 would be a great addition. I just don't want a defensive slug on our roster. In many ways this team improved more from the subtraction of Derozan than it did from the addition of Kawhi.

Given all the interesting names at our pick I'm starting to think, like others have, of trading back from 28 for the Kings' 35 and 41st picks.

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

In this scenario we could end up with 3 guys that have been mentioned to us:

35) Tillman / Mays
41) Reed / Flynn
58) Marshall / Diakite / Fitts
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#2175 » by Indeed » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:03 am

Mark_83 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

Thanks. He's definitely interesting then. Having another secondary or even primary ball handler at the 3 would be a great addition. I just don't want a defensive slug on our roster. In many ways this team improved more from the subtraction of Derozan than it did from the addition of Kawhi.

Given all the interesting names at our pick I'm starting to think, like others have, of trading back from 28 for the Kings' 35 and 41st picks.

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

In this scenario we could end up with 3 guys that have been mentioned to us:

35) Tillman / Mays
41) Reed / Flynn
58) Marshall / Diakite / Fitts

I may have him at 29, believe he could be drafted even higher.
As for his defense, I think he is average or above average, but not at the OG explosive level. OG would be crazy quick on his first step and capable of defending most guards in the league, while Marshall will be capable of defending bigger guards.

As for trading down, not all teams are interested, since the draft is rather flat, it does not seem to be worth it to give up two picks for one. Plus, I don't see we need that many new young players on a weak draft.
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#2176 » by OGLife » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:48 am

Anyone have any thoughts on Malachi Flynn? He gives me a lot of FVV vibes

You have to believe that Kawhi has been told about this kid and he's LA bound if someone doesn't draft him.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2177 » by Psubs » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:04 am

Mark_83 wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Are we wanting to win tomorrow?

Oh well, #29 and #59 it is.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2178 » by Psubs » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:09 am

OGLife wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on Malachi Flynn? He gives me a lot of FVV vibes

You have to believe that Kawhi has been told about this kid and he's LA bound if someone doesn't draft him.

I think Mike Bibby potential ceiling. He should get drafted late 1st to mid 2nd.
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#2179 » by OGLife » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:28 am

Psubs wrote:
OGLife wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on Malachi Flynn? He gives me a lot of FVV vibes

I think Mike Bibby potential ceiling. He should get drafted late 1st to mid 2nd.

I definitely like my chances of him hitting his ceiling. He's always been a good shooter. He shows good awareness on defense and comes off with having a good working attitude in interviews.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2180 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Read on Twitter

Great breakdown of the some of the guards we’ve talked about in this thread, well worth the read

Return to Toronto Raptors