ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#2441 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:08 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:Despite all the analysis here, my feeling is we will be trading our 29th pick; either moving up or moving down. There is also a possibility we may buy a pick (some teams need money during these times; we can take advantage).

masai has tried to move up almost every draft year, but hasn't ever executed it. Maybe this year will be cheap enough
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#2442 » by Indeed » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:12 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:Despite all the analysis here, my feeling is we will be trading our 29th pick; either moving up or moving down. There is also a possibility we may buy a pick (some teams need money during these times; we can take advantage).

We will definitely not going to buy a pick. We have no roster spot to re-sign our players. And we will not move up if we want to re-sign our players and stay below the tax. Something we already discussed here.

Roster spots:
Lowry/OG/Siakam/Powell/Davis/Thomas/Johnson/McCaw/Hernandez/1st/2nd (11 players committed)

Filling out spots:
Starting SG/ Starting C/Backup C (3 players)

One player left between:
Boucher/RHJ/Miller/another pick/Watson/Brissett (if they are not on two-way contract)

Salary:
Assume we re-sign both VanVleet and Ibaka at 20m each, adding our 1st and 2nd, we are less than 5m to above over the tax.
4m to add another C (eg. Alex Len) and fill one more roster spot (eg. Boucher), we probably wish we can trade down for a 2nd round (0.9m) instead of 1st round pick (1.4m).
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#2443 » by OGLife » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:15 pm

Psubs wrote:
OGLife wrote:Who I want:

1. Theo Maledon
2. Jahmi'us Ramsey
3. Tyrell Terry
4. Malachi Flynn
5. Robert Woodard II

I like trading down with someone like the Sixers for picks 34 and 36.

I think Ramsey had Smart potential and I'd love to see him play next to OG and Siakam on defense.

https://raptorsrapture.com/2020/08/26/toronto-raptors-jahmius-ramsey/

I'm shocked Ramsey hasn't gotten any buzz for mid first.

He's going to be so undervalued in the league.

Landing him with his potential and age. With Lowry, FVV, OG, Norm, Davis, McCaw and Thomas, put him in the G league and let him work his way up. If he's up for it, he's starting at the 2 by 2021.
Mattatron
Starter
And1: 1,665

Post#2444 » by Mattatron » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:31 pm

I like Isaiah Stewart at the center spot. Reminds me of Antonio Davis a lot.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2445 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:36 pm

OGLife wrote:
Psubs wrote:
OGLife wrote:Who I want:

1. Theo Maledon
2. Jahmi'us Ramsey
3. Tyrell Terry
4. Malachi Flynn
5. Robert Woodard II

I like trading down with someone like the Sixers for picks 34 and 36.

I think Ramsey had Smart potential and I'd love to see him play next to OG and Siakam on defense.

https://raptorsrapture.com/2020/08/26/toronto-raptors-jahmius-ramsey/

I'm shocked Ramsey hasn't gotten any buzz for mid first.

He's going to be so undervalued in the league.

Landing him with his potential and age. With Lowry, FVV, OG, Norm, Davis, McCaw and Thomas, put him in the G league and let him work his way up. If he's up for it, he's starting at the 2 by 2021.

the reason is almost all his potential besides spot up shooting is hypothetical. He didn’t really do anything else particularly well this year.

I like the upside swing in the 2nd but I’d prefer to play it safer in the first
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,259

Post#2446 » by Raptorfan2012 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:43 pm

Indeed wrote:

We will definitely not going to buy a pick. We have no roster spot to re-sign our players. And we will not move up if we want to re-sign our players and stay below the tax. Something we already discussed here.

Roster spots:
Lowry/OG/Siakam/Powell/Davis/Thomas/Johnson/McCaw/Hernandez/1st/2nd (11 players committed)

Filling out spots:

One player left between:
Boucher/RHJ/Miller/another pick/Watson/Brissett (if they are not on two-way contract)

Salary:
Assume we re-sign both VanVleet and Ibaka at 20m each, adding our 1st and 2nd, we are less than 5m to above over the tax.
4m to add another C (eg. Alex Len) and fill one more roster spot (eg. Boucher), we probably wish we can trade down for a 2nd round (0.9m) instead of 1st round pick (1.4m).

I don’t see us bring Fred back; he will probably get more than $20 mil somewhere else. I rather use that $20M on other players
Indeed
RealGM

Post#2447 » by Indeed » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:19 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:
Indeed wrote:

Roster spots:

Filling out spots:

One player left between:

Salary:

I don’t see us bring Fred back; he will probably get more than $20 mil somewhere else. I rather use that $20M on other players

Regardless of VanVleet, it would be 20m+ for someone who can create his own shot during playoffs. It is just an example above, and you are probably going to pay a starting SG and starting C at 40m combine. Therefore, we are better off with a 2nd round than a 1st round pick to be competitive, which is my point.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#2448 » by nabbs » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:02 pm

My guess is we trade down. ATL and Philly have multiple seconds so maybe we trade with them.

There are tons of guys who will fall in the second round that we could use:

- Isaiah Joe
- Paul Reed
- Grant Riller
- Cassius Winston
- McDaniels

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
nabbs
RealGM

Post#2449 » by nabbs » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:03 pm

Indeed wrote:

Roster spots:

Filling out spots:

One player left between:

Salary:

Man I really do not see Ibaka coming back at all. Trading down will depend on the cap space set for next season + who the front offie wants. I am fine with your other assumptions but I think Ibaka coming back is the least likely

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Indeed
RealGM

Post#2450 » by Indeed » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:42 pm

nabbs wrote:
Indeed wrote:

Roster spots:

Filling out spots:

One player left between:

Salary:

Man I really do not see Ibaka coming back at all. Trading down will depend on the cap space set for next season + who the front offie wants. I am fine with your other assumptions but I think Ibaka coming back is the least likely

Read my post above, both VanVleet and Ibaka represent a starting SG and starting C, as it will probably cost 40m in combine regardless who they are to make us maintain the competitive level.

My point is, we are very unlikely to get another pick if we want to re-sign our backups (Boucher/RHJ/Miller/Watson, etc.), and they maybe better than anyone at that range. And if we are using the previous salary to scale, we are better off trading our 1st round pick down a few spots to a 2nd round pick, as the salary of a 2nd round rookie contract is even less than the minimum, but I doubt teams are willing to move up on this flat draft.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2451 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:44 pm

Indeed wrote:
nabbs wrote:
Indeed wrote:

Roster spots:

Filling out spots:

One player left between:

Salary:

Read my post above, both VanVleet and Ibaka represent a starting SG and starting C, as it will probably cost 40m in combine regardless who they are to make us maintain the competitive level.

My point is, we are very unlikely to get another pick if we want to re-sign our backups (Boucher/RHJ/Miller/Watson, etc.), and they maybe better than anyone at that range. And if we are using the previous salary to scale, we are better off trading our 1st round pick down a few spots to a 2nd round pick, as the salary of a 2nd round rookie contract is even less than the minimum, but I doubt teams are willing to move up on this flat draft.

20M for a starting C is very steep, i'd say 10-15 max for a non star
nabbs
RealGM

Post#2452 » by nabbs » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:59 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Indeed wrote:
nabbs wrote:

Ibaka and Marc probably aren't going to stay if our front office is smart. It's more likely Boucher gets signed assuming no one throws an offer sheet at him and Fred is back. At that point you go out and try to get Plumlee or Baynes to keep our front court size. Ibaka is definitely getting a 3 year offer from someone and I think guys will take security.

HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2453 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:03 pm

nabbs wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Indeed wrote:

Ibaka and Marc probably aren't going to stay if our front office is smart. It's more likely Boucher gets signed assuming no one throws an offer sheet at him and Fred is back. At that point you go out and try to get Plumlee or Baynes to keep our front court size. Ibaka is definitely getting a 3 year offer from someone and I think guys will take security.

yeah its hard to build a contender with so much money wrapped up in C.

Plenty of great starters being paid not much rn

Nurkic 12M
BroLo 13M
Zubac min
Theis min
JV 15M

etc

Rest are either all-stars (embiid) or overpays (adams)
Indeed
RealGM

Post#2454 » by Indeed » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:11 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
nabbs wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

Nurkic 12M
BroLo 13M
Zubac min
Theis min
JV 15M

etc

I think Ibaka will have his market for being a consistent 3+D at C, particularly if we are looking at a one year contract. He is a little more agile than those you compared above.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2455 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:12 pm

Indeed wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
nabbs wrote:

Nurkic 12M
BroLo 13M
Zubac min
Theis min
JV 15M

etc

I think Ibaka will have his market for being a consistent 3+D at C, particularly if we are looking at a one year contract. He is a little more agile than those you compared above.

perhaps but i wouldn't wanna pay it. I like Serge but he's not a top 15 C imo, so paying him that much is just asking for a bad contract
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,200

Post#2456 » by Mark_83 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:10 am

Anyone know who the analytic darlings are in this draft like Poetl and Delon were once? I've heard Tillman (one of the highest BPM ever), Stewart (due to age/production), and I think Flynn due combo of assists to turnovers and steals.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,814

Post#2457 » by Duffman100 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:06 am

Really like the idea of Tillman as a bench big. Bring in another strong character guy, hard worker on the glass. Mobile smart defender.
nabbs
RealGM

Post#2458 » by nabbs » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:15 am

Mark_83 wrote:Anyone know who the analytic darlings are in this draft like Poetl and Delon were once? I've heard Tillman (one of the highest BPM ever), Stewart (due to age/production), and I think Flynn due combo of assists to turnovers and steals.

The analytics darlings in and around our range are Isaiah Stewart, Paul Reed, Tillman, Flynn (might be wrong on this one)

Typically speaking anyone with good free throws shooting, high steal and block rates tend to do well in the analytics department. Rebounding is another big skill. In terms of the synergy play type stats I do not have that

casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#2459 » by casual_raps_fan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:03 am

The Ringer's most recent update to their mock draft has us selecting Theo Maledon. :o
https://nbadraft.theringer.com
WeTheNorth123
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,363

Post#2460 » by WeTheNorth123 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:13 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:The Ringer's most recent update to their mock draft has us selecting Theo Maledon. :o
https://nbadraft.theringer.com

there are so many things that i disagree with in regards to this mock draft

No way Killian Hayes goes 1! regardless of whoever has the draft pick!
I cant imagine Daniel Oturu and Vernon Carny JR dropping to 48 & 49

Return to Toronto Raptors