ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#3061 » by mademan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:48 pm

Psubs wrote:
mademan wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Caruso is no better than Watson.
Kuzma is just a chucker.

This isnt a competition. But Caruso is a role player who has a valuable skillset (defense and size at guard spot) who's about to start for a championship team. Watson didnt have enough trust to get minutes on the Raps even though his skillset was very much in desire for us in the postseason.

But again, not a competition. I was just remarking that theyve been sneakily good at drafting late

They pretty much let Zubac walk to clear space. :lol:

Caruso is like McCaw calibre. Didn't Delly start in the Finals too?

Caruso has one of the best net ratings of a bench player. He's an excellent role player with metrics that back that up. And ya, Magic Johnson let Zubac walk, dont know what that has to do with them being pretty good at drafting late. You just arguing to argue?
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#3062 » by casual_raps_fan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:14 am

Dalek wrote:Just reading the tealeaves a bit. If Masai has Toronto in position for Giannis than a traditional PG is not likely in Toronto's best interest. FVV will likely be re-signed because Masai has also said that is a priority. While back-up PG will be needed, with a guy like Giannis and Siakam and FVV, you don't really need too many ballhandlers.

Getting a knockdown shooter with size might make better sense. For one, it is an easy fit to add in a shooter regardless of Giannis, and secondly, there is always a need for size plus shooting.

I don't know. I agree that we'd be doing well in the ball handling department but ball handling and being a pg (floor general) are two different things. Giannis, Siakam, Fred aren't exactly the poster boys for decision making so it would be ideal if we have a player who can be that Gasol or Lowry type of player on the court. The less decisions Giannis, Siakam, Fred have to make on offence, the more they can focus on what they do best.

That being said, it's really difficult finding floor generals who can space the floor and play defence. Hopefully Lowry continues to age well. Gasol a few years younger would have been nice too.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,819

Post#3063 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:20 am

We need a LeBron to win the title. Who's the next LeBron in this draft?

relax, its a joke
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#3064 » by casual_raps_fan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:31 am

Alfred wrote:

Hey guys, I created a new video detailing the draft with none other than our very own HeadtopChunes! Enjoy!

Great video! It was really easy to follow and well made.

Some constructive criticism I have is that I wish the video focused more on the 29th pick. I get that the top the lottery is exciting (especially that the Wolves and Warriors are shopping their pick) but as a 'Toronto Raptors Draft Analysis' video, I felt like it didn't make sense to spend more time talking about Edwards, Ball, Wisman than guys we would probably be selecting in the draft.

Regardless, good video! Looking forward to your next one.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,620

Post#3065 » by Psubs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:52 am

https://www.babcockhoops.com/post/2020-nba-draft-getting-to-know-elijah-hughes

I like how he didn't transfer to Seton Hall and team up with Myles Powell but be 2nd fiddle.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#3066 » by casual_raps_fan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:51 am

Still 5 weeks left until the draft :cry: ... I can't even imagine what it would feel like to be a fan of a team that wasn't in the bubble.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,164

Post#3067 » by God Squad » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:53 am

Psubs wrote:
mademan wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Caruso is no better than Watson.
Kuzma is just a chucker.

This isnt a competition. But Caruso is a role player who has a valuable skillset (defense and size at guard spot) who's about to start for a championship team. Watson didnt have enough trust to get minutes on the Raps even though his skillset was very much in desire for us in the postseason.

But again, not a competition. I was just remarking that theyve been sneakily good at drafting late

Severely underrating Zubac and Caruso. Both valuable roleplayers who contribute to winning.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#3068 » by casual_raps_fan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:10 am

God Squad wrote:
Psubs wrote:
mademan wrote:

Severely underrating Zubac and Caruso. Both valuable roleplayers who contribute to winning.

Yeah. They know their limits and understand their roles.

We could have actually used Caruso this season. We basically played 48 minutes per game of Kyle and Fred against the Celtics because McCaw was injured and TD was unreliable.

I don't think we would have had much use for Zubac this season but having him moving forward would be solid.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3069 » by Psubs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:11 pm

God Squad wrote:
Psubs wrote:
mademan wrote:

You must be a McCaw fan then.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,235

Post#3070 » by PhilBlackson » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:37 pm

The more footage I've watched the more I like Maledon or Smith the most for our pick IF we were lucky enough for either of them to fall that far which I really don't see happening as much anymore because if I see it then I'm sure some scout out there must.

As stands now players I think could drop and would be thrilled to get but doubtful:

Theo Maledon
Jalen Smith
Tyrrell Terry
Jaden McDaniels

My fallbacks I'd still be pretty happy with

Jah'mius Ramsey
Aleksej Pokusevski

Third tier that I'd just be kinda meh on but fit the kinda role players we tend to draft:

Zeke Nnaji
Isaiah Stewart
Elijah Hughes
Leandro Bolmaro (cooled on him quite a bit)

I do look forward though to seeing who drops that is supposed to go in that 10-20 range because you know it happens every year. My early guess is it could be McDaniels, Saddiq Bey or Cole Anthony.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#3071 » by Alfred » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:05 pm

casual_raps_fan wrote:
Alfred wrote:

Hey guys, I created a new video detailing the draft with none other than our very own HeadtopChunes! Enjoy!

Great video! It was really easy to follow and well made.

Some constructive criticism I have is that I wish the video focused more on the 29th pick. I get that the top the lottery is exciting (especially that the Wolves and Warriors are shopping their pick) but as a 'Toronto Raptors Draft Analysis' video, I felt like it didn't make sense to spend more time talking about Edwards, Ball, Wisman than guys we would probably be selecting in the draft.

Regardless, good video! Looking forward to your next one.

We actually did record more focusing on candidates for the 29th pick, but as you mentioned, the top two picks are exciting, which is something that always needs to be considered when discussing YouTube content. I don’t think it’s a complete waste of time, as I think people are Raptors fans, but also curious about the draft in general.

Thank you for the praise and feedback. Always enjoy talking Raptors basketball with other fans.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#3072 » by casual_raps_fan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:29 pm

Psubs wrote:
God Squad wrote:
Psubs wrote:

You must be a McCaw fan then.

I’m sure you don’t mean it but you’re coming off a little bit aggressive.

All 3 of them are rotation players for playoff teams. They’re all limited but play within their role.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,576

Post#3073 » by Syd-TK3 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:52 pm

So when is the actual "combine" happening?
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#3074 » by nabbs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:15 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:So when is the actual "combine" happening?

Read on Twitter
?s=21

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3075 » by Psubs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:27 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:The more footage I've watched the more I like Maledon or Smith the most for our pick IF we were lucky enough for either of them to fall that far which I really don't see happening as much anymore because if I see it then I'm sure some scout out there must.

As stands now players I think could drop and would be thrilled to get but doubtful:

Theo Maledon
Jalen Smith
Tyrrell Terry
Jaden McDaniels

Jah'mius Ramsey
Aleksej Pokusevski

Third tier that I'd just be kinda meh on but fit the kinda role players we tend to draft:

Zeke Nnaji
Isaiah Stewart
Elijah Hughes

I do look forward though to seeing who drops that is supposed to go in that 10-20 range because you know it happens every year. My early guess is it could be McDaniels, Saddiq Bey or Cole Anthony.

Cole Anthony should drop to the late teens or early 20's. Saddiq Bey, I see as Caron Butler with better 3pt shooting. I would be amazing if he dropped to 29 for some reason! McDaniels could be Jonathan Bender 2.0. He should be somewhere in the 20's.

With Hughes, I was thinking, what makes him different than Anthony Edwards? Edwards does have a 7ft wingspan but doesn't result in much more defensive results. Edwards is 19.25 while Hughes is 22.5. With that Hughes is more polished while Edwards has more potential. Who knows, Edwards could end up being a bigger Dion Waiters and be an allstar. Hughes could be a poor man's Jimmy Butler. With the experience, Hughes has a slightly higher floor but a slightly lower ceiling.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3076 » by Psubs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:28 pm

nabbs wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I can't find when they are doing measurements. Are they doing them as players come in individually?
Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#3077 » by Syd-TK3 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:55 pm

Psubs wrote:
nabbs wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I can't find when they are doing measurements. Are they doing them as players come in individually?

Lol yeah when I said combine that's basically all I really cared about.
I'm still not sure based on this tweet.
I guess they just gonna randomly announce a few groups from now till the draft
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,540

Post#3078 » by DG88 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:58 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:
Psubs wrote:
nabbs wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

This I believe is happening during the in market medicals, where teams will get that info.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#3079 » by Indeed » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:49 pm

Psubs wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:The more footage I've watched the more I like Maledon or Smith the most for our pick IF we were lucky enough for either of them to fall that far which I really don't see happening as much anymore because if I see it then I'm sure some scout out there must.

Theo Maledon
Jalen Smith
Tyrrell Terry
Jaden McDaniels

Jah'mius Ramsey
Aleksej Pokusevski

Zeke Nnaji
Isaiah Stewart
Elijah Hughes

Cole Anthony should drop to the late teens or early 20's. Saddiq Bey, I see as Caron Butler with better 3pt shooting. I would be amazing if he dropped to 29 for some reason! McDaniels could be Jonathan Bender 2.0. He should be somewhere in the 20's.

With Hughes, I was thinking, what makes him different than Anthony Edwards? Edwards does have a 7ft wingspan but doesn't result in much more defensive results. Edwards is 19.25 while Hughes is 22.5. With that Hughes is more polished while Edwards has more potential. Who knows, Edwards could end up being a bigger Dion Waiters and be an allstar. Hughes could be a poor man's Jimmy Butler. With the experience, Hughes has a slightly higher floor but a slightly lower ceiling.

I agree on Anthony and Bey, but unsure of Hughes comparison to Edwards. Meanwhile, I also think the wingspan matters, same as OG defensive number won't show on the stats sheet. However, Edwards does not have a 7 feet wingspan, I think he only has 6'9 wingspan.

Being draft at 29th, really it has nothing that excite/impress me. Therefore, I prefer to draft for potential, Josh Hall, Karim Mane, etc.
Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#3080 » by Syd-TK3 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:01 pm

DG88 wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:
Psubs wrote:

This I believe is happening during the in market medicals, where teams will get that info.

Well if that's the case we should be getting them anytime now considering it's mid October in like 3 days.
So hopefully

Return to Toronto Raptors