ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#3221 » by Indeed » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:
Indeed wrote:I have to disagree that Tucker can play the 2. And Woodard is not particularly quick, neither opponent will be bounced off him without being called for charge. He will be alright at SF/PF, but I don't envision teams will play him at SG.

Reed does not have the length to play the 5 against starter. Reed is smaller/shorter than Siakam and OG :lol: You might as well have Siakam or OG play at C.

He is quick and can guard 2-5 and has overwhelming length in post up situations. He is a great all around defensive player but will be a project on offense. Which report did you read that indicated poor lateral movement?

He's 235lbs and is defensively fit for playing the 2. If you have a FVV assigned to guard him he will either get posted down or be ripped through for a straight line drive to the rim.

VanVleet is playing the 1. You should have Lowry instead, and Lowry will be capable of defending Woodard. Same for many 2, such as Smart/Brown.

Note: I did not say he is poor in lateral movement.
But the issue is: Loses shooters, and I suppose he may not get over screen as he will need more time to recover than just guarding 2 straight up.

Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,527

Post#3222 » by Syd-TK3 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:25 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:
DG88 wrote:Interesting podcast on Karim Mane that happened back in July.

Apparently, his uncle (Maurice Ndour) played professionally in both the NBA and is currently playing Europe

;ab_channel=OXPMedia

I was originally high on Karim Mane but he is already 20 and too behind developmentally to be a factor. I would let another team develop him and try to poach him later on. I would rather draft an overlooked senior like Winston or Tillman at 59. We need some immediate impact rotation guys considering a lot of our roster is getting older/end of contract status.

Neither of those guys will be available at 59
I think that's the perfect spot to take a risky pick like Mane or Hall assuming we already took the overlooked/established player at 29
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,462

Post#3223 » by DG88 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:37 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:
DG88 wrote:Interesting podcast on Karim Mane that happened back in July.

Apparently, his uncle (Maurice Ndour) played professionally in both the NBA and is currently playing Europe

;ab_channel=OXPMedia

I was originally high on Karim Mane but he is already 20 and too behind developmentally to be a factor. I would let another team develop him and try to poach him later on. I would rather draft an overlooked senior like Winston or Tillman at 59. We need some immediate impact rotation guys considering a lot of our roster is getting older/end of contract status.

Neither of those guys will be available at 59
I think that's the perfect spot to take a risky pick like Mane or Hall assuming we already took the overlooked/established player at 29

Yeah the idea isn't to draft him at 29 but at 59. He's still going to be a project as he picked up basketball late. His end to end speed is great for a guard along with his explosiveness and ability to get into the paint and draw contact. He will probably need to have long stints in the G League as he's a fairly raw prospect.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,139

Post#3224 » by Mark_83 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:51 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:
Indeed wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:Reed is a better rebounder than Tillman. There isn't really any physically imposing bigs in the league anymore other than Embiid, KAT, Giannis(?).

If you have 3 guys who are long and can passing lanes it makes it that much harder to pass out of a double. Then Reed, OG, Siakam are all switchable. So a post up, double, pass out possession might not be the kind of quality shot the opposing team may have intended to create.

Reed and Woodard are interesting for those reasons. With Woodard I would try to put him in at the 2. Woodard's 6-7 with a 7-1 wingspan the strength to play against forwards and the lateral quickness to defend on the perimeter. He can shoot open shots and his mid ranger is visably less rigid.

Jaden McDaniels would be interesting but I see him being a bust with the issue of efficiency lingering around his career.

I would also consider Hughes if neither of these guys are available.

I don't think Woodard can play the 2, as he may not score enough (lack of ball penetration) that gives you enough impact as a 2.
Mane could be the better option at the 2 with a good first step to create his own shot, while having 7-0 wingspan.
Woodard and Reed are more 3/4, where they have the strength and average wingspan for that position. OG would be bigger though, so they may have a hard time fighting for a starting role.

He would have a big size advantage at the 2 at 6'7 235 7'1 wingspan.

You can teach ball handling and shooting. You can't teach that kind of quickness with his tools. Having a 2 guard that can challege bigs/forwards at the rim is a huge advantage. A Siakam/OG/Woodard 4-3-2 combo could be absolute shutdown without being negatives offensively.

Woodard also improved a lot from his 1st season. He can provide 3+D right away at the back up 2/3/4 but I like his fluid mid range shot and he can definitely develop that. A tighter handle and he can attack smaller guards off the dribble and they'll just bounce off him. He could post them up and be a huge mismatch on offense the other team can't write off.

If we came out with either Woodard and/or Reed I would be pretty happy. I would guess both might be available with our 1st and 2nd picks. They would add to a strong defensive identity and can develop to be good offensive roleplayers. Reed can absolutely play the 5 at this level.

Reed
Siakam
OG
Woodard
Lowry

That would be pretty bad on offense but on defense you have 4 guys that have 7+ wingspans. I don't think the offense would be horrible you would have a size advantage with OG and Woodard on the wings. They could find a lot of post up opportunities in the half court.

I love Woodard but I don't think he has the footspeed to stay with quick 2s full time unless it's in a zone setting. If I had to compare him to a guy in the NBA now it would be PJ Tucker with better hops.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#3225 » by RaptorsNorth » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Depending who masai drafts we might be able to tell who he’s going after in 2021 :lol: Well at least that’s what I’m hoping.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,547

Post#3226 » by Psubs » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:17 am

RaptorsNorth wrote:Depending who masai drafts we might be able to tell who he’s going after in 2021 :lol: Well at least that’s what I’m hoping.

2020 could be a win now player to keep things attractive for Giannis. 2021 would be a 19 year old prospect because there will be a lot of them.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#3227 » by nabbs » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:30 am

I don't think we are picking at 29.

I think we trade up with Norm attached to get someone Masai absolutely loves or we trade in to the second round.

There is so much value to be had in the second round imo. You can stash, you can go crazy with a swing on a young prospect or you can get an NBA ready guy. All three options will be cost effective given the non guarantees or whatever on second round salaries.

IF the plan is Giannis or just flexibility going forward, having cost effective talent off the bench is the way of championship teams

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#3228 » by Dalek » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:06 am

I know there are more than a few people around here that like Tyler Bey. I love his defense and he is an NBA level freak athlete.

Nice to see his jumper is coming along well making me think this guy will be like a 10+ year vet like Trevor Ariza:

Spoiler:
Shooting development shows improved, although I wouldn't say he is a knockdown shooter, yet.
Read on Twitter

Good look at his finishing skills and his pull-up dribble shooting from mid-range. His increased size looks like he could easily play PF
nivisi9
Senior
And1: 393

Post#3230 » by nivisi9 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:46 am

nabbs wrote:I don't think we are picking at 29.

I think we trade up with Norm attached to get someone Masai absolutely loves or we trade in to the second round.

There is so much value to be had in the second round imo. You can stash, you can go crazy with a swing on a young prospect or you can get an NBA ready guy. All three options will be cost effective given the non guarantees or whatever on second round salaries.

IF the plan is Giannis or just flexibility going forward, having cost effective talent off the bench is the way of championship teams

Same

I could see a trade up using a Powell package for a player who still has star potential but may be taken late enough to acquire the pick.

Such as with PHX at 10 to pick Tyrese Haliburton

Reminiscence of SGA with impressive quickness and PG skills at 6'6 but better vision, passing, and probably the better shooter (very efficient on high volume in college, 41% 3pt / 6 attempts)

FVV and Haliburton as the backcourt of the future.
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,485

Post#3231 » by YelloC » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:08 am

Dalek wrote:I know there are more than a few people around here that like Tyler Bey. I love his defense and he is an NBA level freak athlete.

Nice to see his jumper is coming along well making me think this guy will be like a 10+ year vet like Trevor Ariza:

Spoiler:
Shooting development shows improved, although I wouldn't say he is a knockdown shooter, yet.
Read on Twitter

Good look at his finishing skills and his pull-up dribble shooting from mid-range. His increased size looks like he could easily play PF

I’ve never seen him play but he sounds like a Miles Bridges type player. Am I completely off base on this comparison?
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,462

Post#3232 » by DG88 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:12 am

YelloC wrote:
Dalek wrote:I know there are more than a few people around here that like Tyler Bey. I love his defense and he is an NBA level freak athlete.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

I’ve never seen him play but he sounds like a Miles Bridges type player. Am I completely off base on this comparison?

Think of him as a Trevor Ariza type player.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,645

Post#3233 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:00 am

Another dude that deserves a mention and some consideration is Kristian Doolittle out of Oklahoma.
What to like about him? Has a well rounded game and continues to improve at a very fast rate. He was the MIP in the 2018-2019 season and then the very next season he added a 3pt shot and was pretty good at it. Shot 38% on 3 attempts per game, can shoot pull-ups, catch and shoot, etc. He averaged 0 3pt attempts the previous years including the season where he won MIP. Pretty impressive.
He has a sweet looking stroke and can shoot from anywhere on the court.

I'm having trouble coming up with an NBA comparison for him.
Maybe someone else can come up with one.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#3234 » by Dalek » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:38 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:Another dude that deserves a mention and some consideration is Kristian Doolittle out of Oklahoma.
What to like about him? Has a well rounded game and continues to improve at a very fast rate. He was the MIP in the 2018-2019 season and then the very next season he added a 3pt shot and was pretty good at it. Shot 38% on 3 attempts per game, can shoot pull-ups, catch and shoot, etc. He averaged 0 3pt attempts the previous years including the season where he won MIP. Pretty impressive.

Weird that you picked today to post about him. He turned 23 on October 19. So, he is a bit old as prospect but I do like his development curve. He looks like the typically miscast college player who at 6'7 but has to play PF/C which really isn't his positional size in the NBA.

Not sure if he can make it as a wing with his handle and finishing ability. Not a bad guy for a 2 way deal, but I don't think I like him more than Oshae Brissett who is a year younger and an inch taller. To me, they are similar types of players.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,547

Post#3235 » by Psubs » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:57 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:Another dude that deserves a mention and some consideration is Kristian Doolittle out of Oklahoma.

Wilson Chandler is 6'8 235 lbs. Doolittle is 6'7 232 lbs.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#3236 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:32 am

Interesting thing about Doolittle is that he’s already signed in Europe so he’s actually a stash prospect
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,367

Post#3237 » by TorontoRapsFan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:26 am

I like Bane. But do his arms look on the shorter side? If I remember right, defence is one of his pluses. Not sure if that's iq based or athleticism.
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#3238 » by pr0gr4m » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:28 am

Mark_83 wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:
Indeed wrote:
I don't think Woodard can play the 2, as he may not score enough (lack of ball penetration) that gives you enough impact as a 2.
Mane could be the better option at the 2 with a good first step to create his own shot, while having 7-0 wingspan.
Woodard and Reed are more 3/4, where they have the strength and average wingspan for that position. OG would be bigger though, so they may have a hard time fighting for a starting role.

He would have a big size advantage at the 2 at 6'7 235 7'1 wingspan.

You can teach ball handling and shooting. You can't teach that kind of quickness with his tools. Having a 2 guard that can challege bigs/forwards at the rim is a huge advantage. A Siakam/OG/Woodard 4-3-2 combo could be absolute shutdown without being negatives offensively.

Woodard also improved a lot from his 1st season. He can provide 3+D right away at the back up 2/3/4 but I like his fluid mid range shot and he can definitely develop that. A tighter handle and he can attack smaller guards off the dribble and they'll just bounce off him. He could post them up and be a huge mismatch on offense the other team can't write off.

If we came out with either Woodard and/or Reed I would be pretty happy. I would guess both might be available with our 1st and 2nd picks. They would add to a strong defensive identity and can develop to be good offensive roleplayers. Reed can absolutely play the 5 at this level.

Reed
Siakam
OG
Woodard
Lowry

That would be pretty bad on offense but on defense you have 4 guys that have 7+ wingspans. I don't think the offense would be horrible you would have a size advantage with OG and Woodard on the wings. They could find a lot of post up opportunities in the half court.

I love Woodard but I don't think he has the footspeed to stay with quick 2s full time unless it's in a zone setting. If I had to compare him to a guy in the NBA now it would be PJ Tucker with better hops.

Have you seen his scouting report? It's literally in the first few seconds.

Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,139

Post#3239 » by Mark_83 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:33 am

TorontoRapsFan wrote:

I like Bane. But do his arms look on the shorter side? If I remember right, defence is one of his pluses. Not sure if that's iq based or athleticism.

His arms are about 1 to 2 inches less than his height. He's a solid team defender thanks to his IQ and strength but he's not a lock down guy.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#3240 » by God Squad » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:35 am

Can someone sell me on Mcdaniels? I see bad stats and hear he's lazy or lacks motivation. Also doesn't help when you're mocked in the top 5 to start the year then fall damn near out of the first round. Sell me on Mcdaniels other than "Potential" ..

Return to Toronto Raptors