ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#3241 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:48 pm

God Squad wrote:Can someone sell me on Mcdaniels? I see bad stats and hear he's lazy or lacks motivation. Also doesn't help when you're mocked in the top 5 to start the year then fall damn near out of the first round. Sell me on Mcdaniels other than "Potential" ..

6’9 forward with long arms and quick feet and workable shooting and dribbling skills can be worth quite a lot.

It be pretty similar to Cam Reddish last year I suppose, similar issues in college but had a nice start in a 3nD+ role
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#3242 » by nabbs » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:40 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
God Squad wrote:Can someone sell me on Mcdaniels? I see bad stats and hear he's lazy or lacks motivation. Also doesn't help when you're mocked in the top 5 to start the year then fall damn near out of the first round. Sell me on Mcdaniels other than "Potential" ..

6’9 forward with long arms and quick feet and workable shooting and dribbling skills can be worth quite a lot.

It be pretty similar to Cam Reddish last year I suppose, similar issues in college but had a nice start in a 3nD+ role

Yeah if you can wait and have a strong development infrastructure he is probably worth a gamble.

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#3243 » by Indeed » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:19 pm

nabbs wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

Yeah if you can wait and have a strong development infrastructure he is probably worth a gamble.

I thought we already have a strong development infrastructure and coaching staffs, particularly the 905.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#3244 » by casual_raps_fan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:55 pm

Indeed wrote:
nabbs wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

I thought we already have a strong development infrastructure and coaching staffs, particularly the 905.

Nabbs was probably hinting that mcdaniels could be a good fit for our program.

I agree. He’s a raw player that will be a long term project. He’s got potential but the team that drafts him has to have a plan for him and mcdaniels has to buy into it. The raptors culture and development program fit the bill.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#3245 » by casual_raps_fan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:06 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:He would have a big size advantage at the 2 at 6'7 235 7'1 wingspan.

You can teach ball handling and shooting. You can't teach that kind of quickness with his tools. Having a 2 guard that can challege bigs/forwards at the rim is a huge advantage. A Siakam/OG/Woodard 4-3-2 combo could be absolute shutdown without being negatives offensively.

Woodard also improved a lot from his 1st season. He can provide 3+D right away at the back up 2/3/4 but I like his fluid mid range shot and he can definitely develop that. A tighter handle and he can attack smaller guards off the dribble and they'll just bounce off him. He could post them up and be a huge mismatch on offense the other team can't write off.

If we came out with either Woodard and/or Reed I would be pretty happy. I would guess both might be available with our 1st and 2nd picks. They would add to a strong defensive identity and can develop to be good offensive roleplayers. Reed can absolutely play the 5 at this level.

Reed
Siakam
OG
Woodard
Lowry

That would be pretty bad on offense but on defense you have 4 guys that have 7+ wingspans. I don't think the offense would be horrible you would have a size advantage with OG and Woodard on the wings. They could find a lot of post up opportunities in the half court.

I love Woodard but I don't think he has the footspeed to stay with quick 2s full time unless it's in a zone setting. If I had to compare him to a guy in the NBA now it would be PJ Tucker with better hops.

Have you seen his scouting report? It's literally in the first few seconds.

I like him but he’s definitely not a 2. He might be able to defend 2 but he’s too limited offensively. The league is going in a direction that demands a ton of offensive skills from both guards.

3 and 4 will be his position.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#3246 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:35 pm

i've narrowed it down to either

Josh Hall
Macdaniels
Cassisus Stanley

Or any big 6'11+ who can hit the 3 / Tille or the other big with the goggles.

I like bane, but I'd want a little more upside

In Raptor Ball I Trust
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#3247 » by pr0gr4m » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:30 pm

casual_raps_fan wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:I love Woodard but I don't think he has the footspeed to stay with quick 2s full time unless it's in a zone setting. If I had to compare him to a guy in the NBA now it would be PJ Tucker with better hops.

Have you seen his scouting report? It's literally in the first few seconds.

I like him but he’s definitely not a 2. He might be able to defend 2 but he’s too limited offensively. The league is going in a direction that demands a ton of offensive skills from both guards.

Woodard is only 20. He went from non shooter to shooter in 1 season. The only knock on his 3 point shot is it's too slow. He could speed it up by next season. Developing a good handle is the easiest thing to do in the league (ex. DeMar). The advantage of having a 6-7 235lb ripped to the bone SG with a 7-1 wingspan is too hard to pass on. He can challenge guys like Embiid, LeBron, etc at the rim. Can FVV do that?
Indeed
RealGM

Post#3248 » by Indeed » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:08 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:Have you seen his scouting report? It's literally in the first few seconds.

Woodard is only 20. He went from non shooter to shooter in 1 season. The only knock on his 3 point shot is it's too slow. He could speed it up by next season. Developing a good handle is the easiest thing to do in the league (ex. DeMar). The advantage of having a 6-7 235lb ripped to the bone SG with a 7-1 wingspan is too hard to pass on. He can challenge guys like Embiid, LeBron, etc at the rim. Can FVV do that?

I think you got enough feedback, Woodard is not a 2. At 29, it is already a decent player. If you are looking for someone who can defend multiple positions and have a higher ceiling on the offensive end, you may look up at the lottery section instead.
We are unlikely to draft a high ceiling low risk player at 29. Either we take a raw player with a higher risk, or we take a lower ceiling with proven record.
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer

Post#3249 » by pr0gr4m » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:12 pm

Indeed wrote:
I think you got enough feedback, Woodard is not a 2. At 29, it is already a decent player. If you are looking for someone who can defend multiple positions and have a higher ceiling on the offensive end, you may look up at the lottery section instead.
We are unlikely to draft a high ceiling low risk player at 29. Either we take a raw player with a higher risk, or we take a lower ceiling with proven record.

I did not get feedback on Woodard from any credible and informed poster.

Woodard can be a 2 at the next level. He can shoot, he has the quickness, length, athleticism, and build. Which player in our range has better tools for versatile defense?

I'm seeing a guy with OG like defensive capabilities but the ability to also develop a fluid mid range shot. His improves from years 1 to 2 directly show he is capable. Where is the low ceiling?

I would rather go with Reed as a small ball 5 considering we can in no way bring back Ibaka. But if you want a high potential and impact now player Woodard is a great option at the 2. Especially if we trade Norman and need a versatile 2-4 guy off the bench.

I want the Raptors to maintain their defensive identity. I would continue to draft prospects who won't be weak links on defense that other PO teams can try to exploit. Zeke, Hughes are huge risks with that being said. I would consider Reed and Woodard safe picks that will contribute to winning but won't show superstar flashes. Woodard has the potential if he works hard though.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#3250 » by Dalek » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:48 pm

The second time Isaiah Joe has crushed me this year. First, when I thought he pulled out of the draft and now this:

Read on Twitter

It looks like Joe's his former coach Eric Musselman is wearing Knicks clothes. Could their be a promise to Joe already? Knicks pick at 27. Doubt Coach Thibs is after Mason Jones, but I could be wrong.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,890

Post#3251 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:06 pm

I been riding with Bane all the way but unfortunately no longer believe he'll be available when we're on the block.
Hopefully Raptors go with my second choice - Reggie Perry. Whom I'm still very high on.
Although we might just be better off trading down since Perry will most likely be drafted in the 31-40 range.

Edit:

looks good here:

Read on Twitter

:D
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#3252 » by Dalek » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:19 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:I been riding with Bane all the way but unfortunately no longer believe he'll be available when we're on the block.
Hopefully Raptors go with my second choice - Reggie Perry. Whom I'm still very high on.
Although we might just be better off trading down since Perry will most likely be drafted in the 31-40 range.

Edit:

looks good here:

Read on Twitter

Did you mean to post a Malachi Flynn video? I do like him almost equally to Cassius Winston but I am not sure either are anythign mroe than high end back-ups.

If you are a fan of Reggie Perry, I am curious to learn more. Both of those Mississippi State guys (Perry and Woodard) just don't get me excited. What is appealing about Perry as a prospect?
TronoWrappers
Sophomore
And1: 208

Post#3253 » by TronoWrappers » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:28 am

Dalek wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:I been riding with Bane all the way but unfortunately no longer believe he'll be available when we're on the block.

Edit:

looks good here:

Read on Twitter

Did you mean to post a Malachi Flynn video? I do like him almost equally to Cassius Winston but I am not sure either are anythign mroe than high end back-ups.

If you are a fan of Reggie Perry, I am curious to learn more. Both of those Mississippi State guys (Perry and Woodard) just don't get me excited. What is appealing about Perry as a prospect?

Perry was the guy catching lobs from Flynn.

I don't know much about Perry either, but he looks like he has some Bam to his game. Pretty intriguing prospect. Played for USA basketball too:

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,638

Post#3254 » by Psubs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:32 am

Dalek wrote:

Edit:

looks good here:

Read on Twitter

Perry looks like Derrick Favors with good FT shooting and potential Siakam level 3 pt shooting. He just has a 7 ft wingspan though unlike Favors and Bam, thus less blocks. He got 10 rebs in 31 mins so uses his strength.

I like Flynn. He lead a team to a top ranking. Near 3 A/T and 1.8 steal to only 1.8 fouls, earning him POY and DPOY in the MWC.
I can see him be as good as FVV, if not a better playmaker and finisher at the rim. Only thing would be he's not in a strong conference. I guess the 3 on 3 scrimages help to compare.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#3255 » by casual_raps_fan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:37 am

pr0gr4m wrote:
Indeed wrote:

You know I'm standing right here. :lol:
Indeed
RealGM

Post#3256 » by Indeed » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:30 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:
Indeed wrote:

I think if you do enough research on a prospect, you will pretty much get the same perspective.
A scouting report was provided on my previous post, and I also saw a few scouting report that mentioned his quickness is not at the elite guard level. But if you just want to hear what you want to here, perhaps you can just ignore all of us plus other scouting report.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,890

Post#3257 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:31 am

Dalek wrote:

Edit:

looks good here:

Read on Twitter

No I meant to post that video. Perry is the big running some PNR with Flynn.
The thing that intrigues me the most about Perry is his development curve and growth.

High motor, elite passer for his position, continues to improve as a shooter and expand his range, solid post up game.
He's shown the ability to bring the ball up the court and be decisive with the ball.
I was hoping we'd have 1 more year of Gasol because he would've been a great mentor for Perry.

People love to make the Bam comparison, but I see a lot of Jaren Jackson in his game. They have similar shooting forms as well, although JJJ is a better outside shooter. They both move very well for their size. Perry is 6-10, 250lb, JJJ was 6-11, 242lb. Perry is stronger and a better finisher down low. JJJ is definitely the much better defender of the two.

Perry doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses. Nothing that can't be fixed at least.
Matter of fact if you compare both Perry and JJJ's scouting reports coming out of college, they share the same weaknesses [turnovers, defending in space, etc.]
Raptors will need to help Perry unlock his defensive potential because he has all the tools but hasn't put it together on that end yet.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,735

Post#3258 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:33 am

There's nothing to sell. You can't work hard on becoming a hard worker. And you can't teach heart. :dontknow:
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,638

Post#3259 » by Psubs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:59 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:Perry doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses. Nothing that can't be fixed at least.
Matter of fact if you compare both Perry and JJJ's scouting reports coming out of college, they share the same weaknesses [turnovers, defending in space, etc.]
Raptors will need to help Perry unlock his defensive potential because he has all the tools but hasn't put it together on that end yet.

Waiting for measurements but 6'10 with a 7 foot wingspan is alright. JJJ has a 7'5 wingspan.

Who knows maybe Perry turns out like Karl Malone? :D

BLUE 32!!!

pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer

Post#3260 » by pr0gr4m » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:16 am

Indeed wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:I did not get feedback on Woodard from any credible and informed poster.

I think if you do enough research on a prospect, you will pretty much get the same perspective.
A scouting report was provided on my previous post, and I also saw a few scouting report that mentioned his quickness is not at the elite guard level. But if you just want to hear what you want to here, perhaps you can just ignore all of us plus other scouting report.

I watched him play and he can keep up with PGs.

His conditioning, athleticism, strength, and length are huge advantages at the 3/4 and even more so at the 2.

I didn't see your previous post and I don't see a scouting report anywhere.

He’s also a disruptive one-on-one defender, giving up just 0.67 PPP per Synergy. He moves well laterally and is rarely seen getting dusted by all but the quickest guys. In addition, he can be a game changer with impact players on defense, averaging over a steal and a dunk per 36 minutes. Even without the flashy plays, he almost always manages to contest shots and throw shooters out of rhythm.

Return to Toronto Raptors