ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#3341 » by JYD » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:19 pm

Psubs wrote:
During the season his highlights made him looks soft. He's been hitting the weights and looks much better. That alone boosts him from early 2nd to late 1st pick. Sometimes players don't make that change.

Sorry you mean Nanji or Tillman?
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#3342 » by Indeed » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:46 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Read on Twitter

Already posted and discussed for half a page:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1904610&start=3280#p85818960

Other fans like Celtics fans are aware of it, so I am not surprised his stock is going up. I think Celtics also needs size.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#3343 » by Dalek » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:06 am

Kevin Willis wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:
He won't make it down to us.

I guess that it is possible, but a lot of mocks have him in Toronto's range:

Tankathon (20)
Yahoo (24)
NBAdraft (26)
Bleacher (27)
ESPN (29)
SI (29)
CBS (37 Boone; not in top 30 Parrish)
Ringer (not listed in top 30)
Athletic (45)

I know his age is appealing for GMs, but he does have warts like overall defensive IQ, freethrow %, and finishing ability at the rim. I think it is all fixable, but some GMs may not see the upside.

Yeah I wouldn't say he's my guy, I don't think he's a perfect Raptors fit with limited defensive IQ and he's not the greatest passer but he's young and has the raw skills that could make a GM look like a genious for taking him. That's why I can't see him dropping to us. If some team thinks they can turn him into another Dovovan Mitchell or even Norm then that's it.

You just mentioned the exact draft prospect I have been obsessing over lately. I remember Donovan Mitchell during his Louisville days and he was far from where he is now. He wasn't a great shooter, he didn't have the advanced handle he has now. He did have that swag and ability to try NBA level things like eurosteps and stepbacks.

That is what I have been looking for and I think Ramsey has got that Spida Mitchell edge to him. I see similar things with Saben Lee and Jalen Harris. I just think Ramsey is way ahead of those guys based on age.

I agree with you his defensive IQ might not be a Raptor's fit, but he does want to play good defensive and his one on one defense is pretty decent. He is toolsy in a good way overall.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#3344 » by Indeed » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:17 am

Psubs wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:
RaptorsNorth wrote:When is the last time masai even picked somebody we mention on here ? Masai will probably pick a player we’ve never heard of.

In the 1st round, Delon Wright, Poeltl, and OG especially were popular options among raptors fans. Bruno was really random and I don’t remember many people talking about Siakam though.

Ya it was pretty much Poeltl or Sabonis. I was hoping for Sabonis, though the thought around the board was with his short wingspan couldn't play C. Fastforward with the league going small, he can play C. SA need a C so Poeltl did his part. :D

Everyone mentioned OG as a hopeful to drop and amazed that he did. :D Delon was a safe pick as the thought was he was his brother with PG skills and would stick in the league for a while. Perhaps even becoming Alvin Williams with range.

Wright and Poeltl are the only ones expecting to be draft at that range. Meanwhile, I am not seeing Poeltl being a starting C, and he was a net negative on advance stats when we traded him.

Poeltl scouting report:
Where does Poeltl fit in today’s NBA?

At 7-foot-1, 239 pounds, with a 7-foot-2 wingspan, he has the requisite measurables for a player at his position, but Poeltl will be drafted with the notion of being a traditional center, and in that context, he is relatively undersized. His build, which was imposing in college, will look average against starting centers like DeAndre Jordan, Rudy Gobert, Marc Gasol, and DeMarcus Cousins. Teams will be drafting him with the expectation that he becomes a starting center, but his success in that role will rely on his ability to fully leverage his physicality, something he couldn’t consistently demonstrate in college game film. He’s not a stiff by any means, but he’s neither exceptionally quick nor strong, and he doesn’t play much above the rim. His effectiveness in the low post may not necessarily translate when going up against higher-level competition.

https://www.theringer.com/2016/6/21/16041310/evaluating-jakob-poeltl-aj-hammons-for-nba-draft-6d535f873965

Meanwhile, Wright bought a lot of advance ball handling skills to the team, so even his shooting did not pan out, I think we have a few players learned from him in ball handling. At the end, it is not a bad pick.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,870

Post#3345 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:18 am

Indeed wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
Read on Twitter

Other fans like Celtics fans are aware of it, so I am not surprised his stock is going up. I think Celtics also needs size.

I was sharing a tweet reporting that the Raptors interviewed him. My bad if it was already shared, didn't see it.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#3346 » by casual_raps_fan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:56 am

Indeed wrote:
Psubs wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:In the 1st round, Delon Wright, Poeltl, and OG especially were popular options among raptors fans. Bruno was really random and I don’t remember many people talking about Siakam though.

Ya it was pretty much Poeltl or Sabonis. I was hoping for Sabonis, though the thought around the board was with his short wingspan couldn't play C. Fastforward with the league going small, he can play C. SA need a C so Poeltl did his part. :D

Everyone mentioned OG as a hopeful to drop and amazed that he did. :D Delon was a safe pick as the thought was he was his brother with PG skills and would stick in the league for a while. Perhaps even becoming Alvin Williams with range.

Wright and Poeltl are the only ones expecting to be draft at that range. Meanwhile, I am not seeing Poeltl being a starting C, and he was a net negative on advance stats when we traded him.

Poeltl scouting report:

At 7-foot-1, 239 pounds, with a 7-foot-2 wingspan, he has the requisite measurables for a player at his position, but Poeltl will be drafted with the notion of being a traditional center, and in that context, he is relatively undersized. His build, which was imposing in college, will look average against starting centers like DeAndre Jordan, Rudy Gobert, Marc Gasol, and DeMarcus Cousins. Teams will be drafting him with the expectation that he becomes a starting center, but his success in that role will rely on his ability to fully leverage his physicality, something he couldn’t consistently demonstrate in college game film. He’s not a stiff by any means, but he’s neither exceptionally quick nor strong, and he doesn’t play much above the rim. His effectiveness in the low post may not necessarily translate when going up against higher-level competition.

https://www.theringer.com/2016/6/21/16041310/evaluating-jakob-poeltl-aj-hammons-for-nba-draft-6d535f873965

Meanwhile, Wright bought a lot of advance ball handling skills to the team, so even his shooting did not pan out, I think we have a few players learned from him in ball handling. At the end, it is not a bad pick.

Really? I think Poeltl could take on a Theis or Tyson Chandler type of role and thrive. I really loved his mobility.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#3347 » by Indeed » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:22 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Indeed wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
Read on Twitter

I was sharing a tweet reporting that the Raptors interviewed him. My bad if it was already shared, didn't see it.

Just for you to know if you want to go back to our discussion.
We are thinking his measurement would be higher than our pick due to his well measured vertical and acceptable wingspan.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#3348 » by Indeed » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:32 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Poeltl scouting report:

Really? I think Poeltl could take on a Theis or Tyson Chandler type of role and thrive. I really loved his mobility.

I thought Tyson Chandler would have a long wingspan and standing reach, I suppose. 7'3 from some old forum? But there is no official measurement for him.

As for Theis, I don't think he is known as a shot blocker. Robert Williams coming off the bench clearly showed the shot blocker ability against our team with a 7'4 or 7'5 wingspan.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#3349 » by casual_raps_fan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:14 am

Indeed wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:
Indeed wrote:

Poeltl scouting report:

I thought Tyson Chandler would have a long wingspan and standing reach, I suppose. 7'3 from some old forum? But there is no official measurement for him.

As for Theis, I don't think he is known as a shot blocker. Robert Williams coming off the bench clearly showed the shot blocker ability against our team with a 7'4 or 7'5 wingspan.

??

You said that you didn't see Poeltl as a starting center. All I meant was that I think there is still a place for him as a low end starting center for a playoff team. I'm thinking he could be as effective as guys like Zubac, Adams, whoever the center is on the Rockets and even Theis.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#3350 » by Psubs » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:01 am

JYD wrote:
Psubs wrote:
During the season his highlights made him looks soft. He's been hitting the weights and looks much better. That alone boosts him from early 2nd to late 1st pick. Sometimes players don't make that change.

Sorry you mean Nanji or Tillman?

Nnaji! :nod:
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,870

Post#3351 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:14 am

Malachi Flynn has grown on me.

High IQ, elite defender, exceptional shooter, A1 numbers across the board.
And most of all... I love his development curve. The way he's improved in every statistical category each season is eye popping.

In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3352 » by Psubs » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:05 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:Malachi Flynn has grown on me.

And most of all... I love his development curve. The way he's improved in every statistical category each season is eye popping.

Is that Josh Green at 5:18 admiring Flynn's shooting? :lol:

His floater is nice! Is he quicker than FVV?

I think Flynn could potentially be Mike Bibby.
S ID
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,111

Post#3353 » by S ID » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:50 am

RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#3354 » by RaptorsNorth » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:24 pm

For me it’s Nnaji (first round) 2nd round is a crapshoot. I’m hoping Tillie goes Un-drafted and We give him a 2 way deal. Don’t see him going drafted in a league that values 3 point shooting right now especially with the Giannis hunt coming up where teams know they need to put as much shooting around him as they can and thats a cheap rookie contract for NBA level 3 point percentage.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3355 » by Psubs » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:46 pm

S ID wrote:

Nnaji is 3 months younger than Josh Hall. :o Okay, off that wagon and on the Nnaji train. :lol:
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,952

Post#3356 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:48 pm

Usually when we all start to like someone that player ends up getting drafted by someone else, we all get annoyed, and then that player ends up sucking.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3357 » by Psubs » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:06 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Usually when we all start to like someone that player ends up getting drafted by someone else, we all get annoyed, and then that player ends up sucking.

Players I figure would suck, drafted before our pick include Adam Morrison, Jordan Hill, Dion Waiters.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Post#3358 » by DG88 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:18 pm

HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#3359 » by HeadtopChunes » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Oturus numbers, seems smaller than I thought. Derrick Favors size maybe
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,258

Post#3360 » by mademan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:39 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:Malachi Flynn has grown on me.

Cant believe Philly would pass on him. Checks a lot of boxes for them. But even if they do, cant see the Lakers passing him too. Seems like the NBA ready guard they need

Return to Toronto Raptors