ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#3541 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:49 pm

We still need a tall wing player w/ skill more than a combo guard, i'm tired of all these short guards on the team

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#3542 » by Dalek » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:33 pm

Troubadour wrote:Criteria for Davis replacement:
- Athletic
- Believes in science
- Confident three point shooter
- Consistently wears a mask during a pandemic
- Tools to defend
- PG skills
- Most importantly, does not hit women

I like Karim Mane personally.

Based on your criteria, I would rate Skylar Mays the highest. He is practically studying to be a doctor and has physician parents.

He would also easily fit into Davis' role as a combo guard off the bench.

My higher rated guy is Jah'mius Ramsey as he is quite a bit younger, but from what I have heard and read he is a high character guy with talent simialr to Davis.

I could also see Toronto liking Desmond Bane since he is pretty bland, and will be a solid roleplayer.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#3543 » by Dalek » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:35 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:We still need a tall wing player w/ skill more than a combo guard, i'm tired of all these short guards on the team

We do have Siakam signed long term and OG who will likely be signed long-term soon. Not sure why tall wing is more pressing over a PG when Lowry is 35 and FVV is a free agent that might be priced out of Toronto's comfort zone.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#3544 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:39 pm

Dalek wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:We still need a tall wing player w/ skill more than a combo guard, i'm tired of all these short guards on the team

We do have Siakam signed long term and OG who will likely be signed long-term soon. Not sure why tall wing is more pressing over a PG when Lowry is 35 and FVV is a free agent that might be priced out of Toronto's comfort zone.

You don't look for a starting PG at 29, yeah u may find one but you don't go into a draft like that. FVV will be back and Lowry is under contract for another year.

Even if FVV walks, U could put OG at the 2 + tall wing player + Siakam and still be in a great position. The league is moving towards Tall wing players with Skill because playoff time they become so much more valuable when things get bogged down.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,638

Post#3545 » by Psubs » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:26 pm

https://kslsports.com/442279/utah-jazz-nba-draft-prospects-colorado-forward-tyler-bey/

Wait a minute!!! Have the official measurements come in for Tyler Bey?

6'7, 7'1 wingspan and 45 INCH VERTICAL!?!?!?! That's like Cassius Stanley (46 inches) but he has 6'6 wingspan.

Shawn Marion was 6'7 with 7'0.5" wingspan and 41 inch vertical. Marion is a more polished scorer but given a few years the 22 year old could be a gem.

Getting him and Nate Hinton at #59 and no one will out rebound the Raptors. :D
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#3546 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:33 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

hmm, looks like everyone has a higher vert now
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3547 » by Psubs » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:41 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

hmm, looks like everyone has a higher vert now

Well he was a little doughy. :D
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,284

Post#3548 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:38 pm

Psubs wrote:https://kslsports.com/442279/utah-jazz-nba-draft-prospects-colorado-forward-tyler-bey/

6'7, 7'1 wingspan and 45 INCH VERTICAL!?!?!?! That's like Cassius Stanley (46 inches) but he has 6'6 wingspan.

Shawn Marion was 6'7 with 7'0.5" wingspan and 41 inch vertical. Marion is a more polished scorer but given a few years the 22 year old could be a gem.

I really, really like Hinton for the #59 should he last that long. I feel like he's a 2nd rounder that will need a "bet on yourself" contract like Fred and Davis got. His hustle and defense alone should get him into someone's rotation in the league a la Beverly, Smart. Not saying he's as good as them but he looks like that type of player that others feed off his energy.

Personally not as sold on Bey, who's game looks like a PF in a SF body to me. I wouldn't be mad about picking him but personally just would like someone with more playmaking ability especially for come Playoff time (referring to over the years as the pick develops). His offense to me looked very robotic and not that fluid as a ballhandler and OG already has those qualities covered lol but again wouldn't complain too much about added depth.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Dalek
RealGM

Post#3549 » by Dalek » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:56 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Dalek wrote:

You don't look for a starting PG at 29, yeah u may find one but you don't go into a draft like that. FVV will be back and Lowry is under contract for another year.

Even if FVV walks, U could put OG at the 2 + tall wing player + Siakam and still be in a great position. The league is moving towards Tall wing players with Skill because playoff time they become so much more valuable when things get bogged down.

I think it is a stretch to have OG play the 2. He could sparingly play C last year and he looked gassed doing it. We all know that FVV is not an ideal lead PG because he cannot finish at the rim. To me, Toronto, as constructed is more traditional with a need for a starting C, PG and SG. I know OG and Siakam man the 3 and 4 spot, but the other positions are unknown. Lowry can start for sure, but he has one year left and he is north of 35 now. Does Toronto keep wishing he defies age?

Toronto should definitely go BPA, and not worry about getting a guy to fit any league trends.

Denver does really well with more of a traditional line-up (Jokic and Murray is basically an updated PG-C combo) ; Miami ran with Butler, but it had tons of smalls who were tough to handle in Dragic, Herro and Nunn. Brooklyn will have Kyrie and Durant which will likely propel them as contenders.

Size is nice, but it's ultimately about focus, talent and luck (with injuries) that equates to success from my perspective.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,825

Post#3550 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:33 pm

https://www.raptorshq.com/2020/10/28/21499650/nba-draft-2020-mock-draft-toronto-raptors-hq-combine-nick-nurse-tolzman

there is a lot to unpack here so I'll just leave the link. There is a list of who they have worked out and who they have interviewed. It's not the typical list of course.

Prospect Position Age Height Weight School Class Interview Workout
Devon Dotson PG 21 6'2" 185lbs Kansas Sophomore X
Malachi Flynn PG 22 6'1" 185lbs San Diego State Junior X
Tyler Bey F 22 6'7" 218lbs Colorado Junior X
Zeke Nnaji F 19 6'10" 240lbs Arizona Freshman X
Karim Mane PG/SG 20 6'5" 195lbs Vanier N/A X
Isiaha Mike F 23 6'8" 215lbs SMU Junior X
Nate Darling SG 22 6'5" 200lbs Delaware Junior X
Desmond Bane SG 22 6'6" 215lbs TCU Senior X
Isaiah Joe SG 21 6'5" 180lbs Arkansas Sophomore X
Tyrell Terry PG 20 6'1" 160lbs Stanford Freshman X
Jalen Smith F 20 6'10" 225lbs Maryland Sophomore X
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3551 » by Psubs » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:35 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
Psubs wrote:https://kslsports.com/442279/utah-jazz-nba-draft-prospects-colorado-forward-tyler-bey/

I really, really like Hinton for the #59 should he last that long. I feel like he's a 2nd rounder that will need a "bet on yourself" contract like Fred and Davis got. His hustle and defense alone should get him into someone's rotation in the league a la Beverly, Smart. Not saying he's as good as them but he looks like that type of player that others feed off his energy.

Personally not as sold on Bey, who's game looks like a PF in a SF body to me. I wouldn't be mad about picking him but personally just would like someone with more playmaking ability especially for come Playoff time (referring to over the years as the pick develops). His offense to me looked very robotic and not that fluid as a ballhandler and OG already has those qualities covered lol but again wouldn't complain too much about added depth.

Bey looks like a richman's Oshae Brissett.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,206

Post#3552 » by Mark_83 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:53 pm

Dalek wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
Dalek wrote:

I think it is a stretch to have OG play the 2. He could sparingly play C last year and he looked gassed doing it. We all know that FVV is not an ideal lead PG because he cannot finish at the rim. To me, Toronto, as constructed is more traditional with a need for a starting C, PG and SG. I know OG and Siakam man the 3 and 4 spot, but the other positions are unknown. Lowry can start for sure, but he has one year left and he is north of 35 now. Does Toronto keep wishing he defies age?

Toronto should definitely go BPA, and not worry about getting a guy to fit any league trends.

Denver does really well with more of a traditional line-up (Jokic and Murray is basically an updated PG-C combo) ; Miami ran with Butler, but it had tons of smalls who were tough to handle in Dragic, Herro and Nunn. Brooklyn will have Kyrie and Durant which will likely propel them as contenders.

Size is nice, but it's ultimately about focus, talent and luck (with injuries) that equates to success from my perspective.

I think more importantly, Nurse wants two ball handlers and playmakers at the 1 and 2 at all times. I don't think he conceives of the shooting guard in his offensive scheme as being strictly a catch and shoot, run off screens type.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,206

Post#3553 » by Mark_83 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:00 am

Johnny Bball wrote:https://www.raptorshq.com/2020/10/28/21499650/nba-draft-2020-mock-draft-toronto-raptors-hq-combine-nick-nurse-tolzman

there is a lot to unpack here so I'll just leave the link. There is a list of who they have worked out and who they have interviewed. It's not the typical list of course.

I'd be quite happy with any of the bolded.

Also this quote for some reason made me think of Nathan Knight, who would be a nice pick at 59.

The Raptors try to gauge game tape and workouts regardless of whether so-and-so prospect played with and against lesser competition. Age is also less of a factor for them when it comes to imagining a given player’s ceiling.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#3554 » by Indeed » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:40 am

Dalek wrote:

Because you can get an All Star PG from FA, while you cannot even get a 3+D wing from FA.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#3555 » by casual_raps_fan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:46 am

All of a sudden, our guard depth doesn't look very good. Under contract, we have Kyle, Norm, Thomas, McCaw.

Does the TD situation reduce the chance we move up the draft with Norm?
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3556 » by Psubs » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:50 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:All of a sudden, our guard depth doesn't look very good. Under contract, we have Kyle, Norm, Thomas, McCaw.

Does the TD situation reduce the chance we move up the draft with Norm?

Trade into the teens and draft Tyrell Terry. :D
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#3557 » by casual_raps_fan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:51 am

Mark_83 wrote:
Dalek wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

I think more importantly, Nurse wants two ball handlers and playmakers at the 1 and 2 at all times. I don't think he conceives of the shooting guard in his offensive scheme as being strictly a catch and shoot, run off screens type.

It probably depends on personnel. 2 seasons ago, he started Danny Green.

I would think he would use Matt Thomas way more if he was a better defender.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,942

Post#3558 » by Kevin Willis » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:52 am

Johnny Bball wrote:https://www.raptorshq.com/2020/10/28/21499650/nba-draft-2020-mock-draft-toronto-raptors-hq-combine-nick-nurse-tolzman

Of this list, who would you consider to be winners and leaders of their teams regardless of who they play for?
Ska needs to make a comeback.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,284

Post#3559 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:56 am

Until Davis is sentenced with anything for one I'm assuming innocent until proven guilty but how likely does anyone think he's serving any time for it?!

I'm asking because I keep seeing talk in this thread suddenly of a "Davis Replacement" as if he's off the roster. Most times I would think much of this stuff gets settled outside of court and life goes on. So I don't think Davis in the end is going anywhere and as such not equating his roster spot into our draft selection process...

Just sayin
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3560 » by Psubs » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:19 am

PhilBlackson wrote:Until Davis is sentenced with anything for one I'm assuming innocent until proving guilty but how likely does anyone think he's serving any time for it?!

I'm asking because I keep seeing talk in this thread suddenly of a "Davis Replacement" as if he's off the roster. Most times I would much of this stuff gets settled outside of court and life goes on. So I don't think Davis in the end is going anywhere and as such not equating his roster to our draft selection...

Just sayin

At worse, Masai will trade him for a 2nd round pick or 2. I'd take 1 this draft and 1 next draft.

TD and #59 to move up and a 2nd in 2021.

Return to Toronto Raptors