ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,206

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#3621 » by Mark_83 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:33 pm

Dalek wrote:Not my favorite player, but Oturu did really well in the Combine testing, plus Tre Jones tested extremely well:

Read on Twitter

Overall, his 2020 pre-draft assessment was pretty impressive for an athlete at his size and length, which included measurements of a 7-4 wingspan, 9-2 standing reach and 9.25-inch hand width.

Since the spring, Oturu has trained at P3 Sports Science in Santa Barbara with former Howard Pulley AAU teammate and Apple Valley point guard Tre Jones, who left Duke early for the draft this year.

Jones’ combine numbers tested off the charts as well, most notably a 40-inch max vertical jump. He also had box lane agility (10.48 seconds) and 3/4 sprint (3.14) numbers above many point guards in last year’s combine.

https://m.startribune.com/ex-gophers-star-daniel-oturu-stands-out-during-virtual-nba-draft-combine/572842752/

Where are the combine numbers posted?
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,216

Post#3622 » by Dalek » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:47 pm

Mark_83 wrote:
Dalek wrote:Not my favorite player, but Oturu did really well in the Combine testing, plus Tre Jones tested extremely well:

Read on Twitter

Overall, his 2020 pre-draft assessment was pretty impressive for an athlete at his size and length, which included measurements of a 7-4 wingspan, 9-2 standing reach and 9.25-inch hand width.

Since the spring, Oturu has trained at P3 Sports Science in Santa Barbara with former Howard Pulley AAU teammate and Apple Valley point guard Tre Jones, who left Duke early for the draft this year.

Jones’ combine numbers tested off the charts as well, most notably a 40-inch max vertical jump. He also had box lane agility (10.48 seconds) and 3/4 sprint (3.14) numbers above many point guards in last year’s combine.

https://m.startribune.com/ex-gophers-star-daniel-oturu-stands-out-during-virtual-nba-draft-combine/572842752/

Where are the combine numbers posted?

I am just getting dribs and drabs from the internet. I assume this info will be posted just prior to the draft.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#3623 » by Dalek » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:54 pm

Mason Jones made a huge leap as he can now dunk the ball. As he gets in better shape his whole game becomes even more interesting. To shoot 98% from the freethrow line is impressive but getting up to 10 inches higher on his vert in one year is crazy!

Jones made the most of the opportunity that was recorded on video and will be sent to every NBA team. Jones confirmed with Hogville.net several of his shooting and performance testing numbers from his combine workout: His overall shooting from the field in unguarded drill work (combination of two-point and three-point field goal shooting) was 248-of-316 for 78.5%; his free throw shooting was 98-of-100 for 98.0%; and he registered a 36-inch maximum vertical leap (a 10-inch improvement from a year ago).

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig-trail-nation/former-arkansas-guard-mason-jones-pleased-w-his-nba-draft-combine-workout/
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#3624 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:57 pm

Oturu is a solid prospect. He's not my favourite, either, but he should be mocked higher than a lot of these flimsy wings and guards.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#3625 » by Dalek » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:21 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Oturu is a solid prospect. He's not my favourite, either, but he should be mocked higher than a lot of these flimsy wings and guards.

I would agree that Oturu is underrated considering his productivity and now stretch shooting ability. I just think the NBA is much more invested in guards and big wings and the C is dying out because of the pace of the game. It was interesting to note from the article I posted that it mentions Oturu as a lottery guy.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,572

Post#3626 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:23 pm

Read on Twitter

Definitely like this guy better than Nanji based on workouts.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,572

Post#3627 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:29 pm

Dalek wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:Oturu is a solid prospect. He's not my favourite, either, but he should be mocked higher than a lot of these flimsy wings and guards.

I would agree that Oturu is underrated considering his productivity and now stretch shooting ability. I just think the NBA is much more invested in guards and big wings and the C is dying out because of the pace of the game. It was interesting to note from the article I posted that it mentions Oturu as a lottery guy.

Bigs played a big role in the bubble

AD and Howard
Bam and even kelly stole a game for miami
Joker became a top 10 player
Nurkic
KP and Maxi
Ayton and phx

Not to mention other top flight bigs like embiid ect...

Not saying any big we get would be a game changer like those guys but I don't believe bigs are a lost art or a lost cause like the narrative says out there. A team has to have a couple of bigs to beat the Lakers it looks like

In Raptor Ball I Trust
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#3628 » by HeadtopChunes » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:33 pm

Good bigs are still really valuable, and with the the popularity of zone and drop schemes it looks to be increasing in the short term.

Really I feel like teams/fans can be really reactive to what happens in the playoffs and then immediately want to copy it.

I think it’s just best to gather talent and try to build the most versatile team you can (this is pretty much what the Raptors have done)
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,878

Post#3629 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:39 pm

I really would not be surprised if Raptors elected to draft Cassius Winston. He's always reminded me of Lowry.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Dalek
RealGM

Post#3630 » by Dalek » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:42 pm

This is a deep dive into fringe prospects, but the guy I could see the Raps liking as an undrafted free agent is Cletrell Pope. He played in MEAC for Bethune-Cookman, is 6'9" and is a rebounding machine and is such a quick leaper and runs the floor well. I could see him being a rim runner, energy big, because he is a high motor athlete.

He was the DPOY for his conference and actually led Bethune-Cookman to the NCAA tournament, but sadly he didn't get to show his stuff. In a close game against Georgia Tech Pope went for 20-19.

NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,029

Post#3631 » by NotMyKawhi » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:51 pm

If you look throughout history, lets just go the last 5 years. if you look at the top 10 HS rankings and take the top 10 players from the last 5 classes, 46 out of 50 made the NBA. Most are stars or legit nba players. Usually the best players of each class in that top 10

Sure Wiseman and Edwards will go high, but most of the other guys could all be outside the lottery...I'd bet on history and take one tbh

2. Cole Anthony
3. Isaiah Stewart
5. RJ Hampton
6. Carney
7. Jaden McDaniels
8. Josh Green
9 Nico Mannion

10 Jalen Smith

all those guys are not unrealistic to trade up for and a few I think might drop to us. I'd gamble on history
Dalek
RealGM

Post#3632 » by Dalek » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:07 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Bigs played a big role in the bubble

AD and Howard
Bam and even kelly stole a game for miami
Joker became a top 10 player
Nurkic
KP and Maxi
Ayton and phx

Not to mention other top flight bigs like embiid ect...

Not saying any big we get would be a game changer like those guys but I don't believe bigs are a lost art or a lost cause like the narrative says out there. A team has to have a couple of bigs to beat the Lakers it looks like

It is really hard to find a big in the draft and no one is stopping AD and Lebron. Their supporting cast was a joke and they still were pretty dominant. Howard and McGee were mostly there for the ride, but it was AD who shut down Jokic and others.

You have to draft a unicorn (a big who can shoot, rebound, pass, handle and not be a determent on defense) if you want a starter. Even a guy like Capela got dumped for nothing despite being a league leading rebounder. Same with Drummond last year.

I still see a few bigs that are intriguing like Poku, Nathan Knight, Nick Richards, but I other than Poku, I can't see a first being burned for any big in this draft.

Even emerging guys like Nnaji, Jalen Smith and Oturu have an uphill battle to stay on the floor with the speed of guards. Those guys are lanky and upright defenders that are going to get annihilated in pick and rolls.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#3633 » by Dalek » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:25 pm

NotMyKawhi wrote:If you look throughout history, lets just go the last 5 years. if you look at the top 10 HS rankings and take the top 10 players from the last 5 classes, 46 out of 50 made the NBA. Most are stars or legit nba players. Usually the best players of each class in that top 10

Sure Wiseman and Edwards will go high, but most of the other guys could all be outside the lottery...I'd bet on history and take one tbh

2. Cole Anthony
3. Isaiah Stewart
5. RJ Hampton
6. Carney
7. Jaden McDaniels
8. Josh Green
9 Nico Mannion

10 Jalen Smith

all those guys are not unrealistic to trade up for and a few I think might drop to us. I'd gamble on history

2. Cole Anthony - no brainer, I would draft at 29 or trade up for. Greg Anthony is his dad and I believe in NBA player sons doing well.
3. Isaiah Stewart - way too stiff and not a good lateral mover to start. Dominated in a zone and because he was stronger than everyone. Not as easy in the NBA.
5. RJ Hampton - no brainer as he is a great athlete with developing skills.
6. Carney - heard about attitude issues with him and he is slow footed.
7. Jaden McDaniels - worthy to bet on if they think he is a SG. 200 lbs is too light for anything else. His brother has the same thin frame that I think will have joint issues in time.
8. Josh Green - my favorite out of this group; could be an all-star
9 Nico Mannion - I really like the idea of him as a passer, but he has bad burst and physically I worry about him in the NBA.
10. Jalen Smith - He just looks like a poor lateral mover. He can shoot and it is not a bad gamble at 29, but I think he is a rotation level big.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,584

Post#3634 » by Syd-TK3 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:47 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:Who else would we move up to draft though? I'm assuming our move up package will be around Norm+29 which will probably get us into the teens. If Maledon is gone, I don't see anybody else worth the trade.

We interviewed Terry so he could be another option

I’d be happy with Maxey too

I think his stock is going up
And would be very surprised if he fell past the magic at 15 so they would have to be the trade partners but I'm also expecting Boston to really consider him.
There's just been way too much recent success with late lottery Kentucky guys
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#3635 » by Red_Claw » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:56 pm

I want a second mid round pick and if we get it, i want a a combination of either Jalen Smith and Malachi Flynn or Theo Maladon and Daniel Oturu.

Zeke can fit in there too if Oturu isin't available.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#3636 » by HeadtopChunes » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:44 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:We interviewed Terry so he could be another option

I’d be happy with Maxey too

And would be very surprised if he fell past the magic at 15 so they would have to be the trade partners but I'm also expecting Boston to really consider him.

He was falling in mocks until his pro day on ESPN yesterday. Not sure how much that will change things. Maxey stock is weird because I’ve seen him mocked 10-25. But imo he’s a top 5 player in the draft
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,584

Post#3637 » by Syd-TK3 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:48 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:I’d be happy with Maxey too

He was falling in mocks until his pro day on ESPN yesterday. Not sure how much that will change things. Maxey stock is weird because I’ve seen him mocked 10-25. But imo he’s a top 5 player in the draft

Yeah it's been pretty wide range but I think now he's definitely atleast getting drafted top 20 not only cause of the klutch and pro day but cause of the same Kentucky situation I mentioned.

If I was confident he could run pg full time I'd consider having him rated that high but I still like him a lot and he's got a great attitude
Dalek
RealGM

Post#3638 » by Dalek » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:00 pm

I hate the Knicks for sending all their gear to coach Musselman, but despite the look I still think Isaiah Joe should be a Raptor. The whole TD issue makes it even clearer that they can afford to gamble on a SG of his talent

Joe is going to be a great pro and reminds me a lot of Terrence Ross the way he can shoot off the move. His practice even shows how dynamic he is off pin downs.

Read on Twitter
TR50
General Manager
And1: 1,211

Post#3639 » by TR50 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Dalek wrote:I am on the Knight Train and there is plenty of room. Nathan Knight POY/DPOY 6'10" high motor ; high intensity player who can handle, shoot, rebound and pass.

William and Mary is Division 2 so Knight dominating is expected given his size. They did match up with Oklahoma who has Kristian Doolittle who is a lengthy 6'7" PF 232 lbs and the athletic and Rick Issanza a 7'1" C that is a monster defender.

Knight still put up 30 and 8 against this NBA length (found a better video):

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Not sure if Knight is Toronto's pick, but he moves well for a guy his size and has nice scoring instincts.

Casual one handed pass (from his weak hand) from the post:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Quicker hitter looking like Bam at the top:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Knight OTD with change of direction to score:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Totally with you
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,878

Post#3640 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:19 pm

F*** why did Davis have to be such a dumbass.
I was really high on him as a prospect and thought he'd be an all-star down the line.
Now we might lose him for nothing...
In Masai We Trust :meditate:

Return to Toronto Raptors