ImageImageImageImageImage

Players you regret wanting for the Raps

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Re: Players you regret wanting for the Raps 

Post#61 » by Patman » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:19 am

90% of this board wanted Skal over Pascal.
Darkseid
Analyst
And1: 3,392

Post#62 » by Darkseid » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:22 am

Rebel INS wrote:This thread reminded of that guy on here around the 2009 who was die hard on picking Terence Williams at 9, and had a million posts explaining why he was going to be a superstar

Not sure if anyone else remembers that, or if I'm overstating how hardcore this dude was about Terence Williams, but the guy was such a true believer that he had me prepared to accept us taking him at 9

I remember that guy.

Think he had a spongebob avatar.
StatLine
Veteran
And1: 1,723

Post#63 » by StatLine » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:13 am

throwback to when everyone wanted to tank for harrison barnes with jared sullinger as a consolation
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#64 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:30 am

Rudy Gay
Shawn Marion
Jermaine O'Neal
I only wanted them when we traded for them, but they disappointed us like all the rest.
Credits to Jstock12
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#65 » by fbalmeida » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:56 am

I was never much for fawning over random players. I was among those who lashed out at the fans who booed Stoudamire, at the height of my 15 year old irrelevant self, when we drafted him over the Orangemen with busted knee.

Michael Finley was a player I seriously coveted early in his career, but he was never really in the cards. Nothing to regret there.

No regrets in terms of desiring someone who has become a bust.

I would not have traded JV for Gasol, but would've regretted that.

I thought Bargnani was someone we could build around almost until the end of his tenure.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,142

Post#66 » by Chandan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:23 am

linas kleiza didnt' work out as well as I hoped.
calebtimm
Senior
And1: 110

Post#67 » by calebtimm » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:44 pm

Andrew Bynum, Rudy gay, Adam Morrison
A whole bowful is half a bowlful too full a bowlful!
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#68 » by TheFutureMM » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:31 pm

I started really following the Raps in 2009-2010 and like many of you was very aware of the gaps we had at SF and C. I remember wanting Jeff Green ala Thunder on this team to fill the SF gap... That would have been a mistake. I remember also wanting to trade Demar for Bledsoe (Clippers) back in the day - that probably would have been a wash. Also wanted M. Gasol when he was with Memphis 4-5 years before we actually got him - that wouldn't have been a mistake.
mieshpal
Veteran
And1: 2,006

Post#69 » by mieshpal » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Ya Darko had all the tools. I was surprised he busted
Meursault wrote:Darko Milicic.

Although, I feel like if he ended up on any other team than Larry Brown's Pistons, he very well might have become a perennial all-star. He certainly showed flashes of it here and there.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,603

Post#70 » by Ackshun » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:16 pm

Can probably find one from every draft.

Like KJ McDaneils, Russ Smith, Jeff Withey, Quincy Miller,
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#71 » by RaptorsNorth » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:57 pm

mirotic by far!!!
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,785

Post#72 » by UcanUwill » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 pm

Chandan wrote:linas kleiza didnt' work out as well as I hoped.

He got injured during his first preseason. I followed Kleiza quite a bit, and he was good, Raptors fans never got to see real Linas, and I hate when fans trash him. Team honestly ruined his career by clearing him to play. I remember watching him in Olympiacos that one year, and he was so explosive, he was dominant, the combination of versatile skills and athleticism was real. Obviously carried that form and won Bronze in world championship, then joined Raptors, and we had early reports of Raptors camp wowed by Kleiza, but then some minor injury happened, and when season kicked, he was completely different player, he was slow and terrible unathletic, I was like what the hell happened, this cant be Euroleague to NBA contrast. Then mid season he strated sitting games for mysterious knee injury, I remember him playing then not playing, and then it turned out his knee is done basically and he needs serious surgery. They misdiagnosed at the beginning of the season and it got much worse.

Thats how different he was, pre Raptors he was top 5 Euroleague player easily, post Raptors 2 seasons later when he washed out, he signed with Euroleague team but was bad even there, he was slow and he obviously had no clue how to play anymore without that athleticism. So the downgrade did happened for sure, this wasnt just a EUroleague star did not translating to NBA.

RaptorsNorth wrote:mirotic by far!!!

Mirotic is pretty good, altho his shooting has never been as consistent as I hoped it would be. But a decent player, underrated defender, which is strange, because on offense he kinda soft, but on defense he likes contact and some cheap shots even.

My worst pick was Willie Solomon. I remember watching him in Europe, and I was convinced this guy is legit, he played amazing defense and was so fast and confident on offense. I was so sold on him as NBA player.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#73 » by Rapsalot » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:17 pm

Not to call folks out but one of the biggest fights on real GM Raptors was Bruno C draft.
I finally had to stop calling folks out for wanting him as people kept insulting me that MU had a plan before he even played in Summer league.

For me likely a few SF as we were hunting for years. Rudy Gay included.
VC last year? Thought he could give us more than Jodi Meeks.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,222

Post#74 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:00 pm

fournier and wilson chandler were board favorites once upon a time.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#75 » by Kabookalu » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:43 am

John Salmons. When he said "god didn't want me in Toronto" I was so mad we missed out on a dynamic wing player.
Read on Twitter
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,715

Post#76 » by Ell Curry » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:20 am

Patman wrote:90% of this board wanted Skal over Pascal.

I was guilty of that. I figured Skal wasn't the #2 pick he was supposed to be before the season, but that putting up meh numbers for Calipari and the circumstances of him starting late as a player (Siakam did too but like everyone else I knew nothing about him) meant he could be another DeAndre Jordan (who was supposed to be a top 5 pick, didn't know what to do as a college freshman and dropped to 35th overall).

Jeremy Lamb is as good now as I figured he would be in his 2nd or 3rd season as a pro, though that was the Bargnani year and I also wanted Roy so not so bad.

The biggest one is that I would have dealt DeRozan way sooner and Kawhi would never have been a Raptor.

Anthony Randolph and Quincy Miller definitely.
Where's the D?
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#77 » by Westside Gunn » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:50 am

Cole Aldrich
Andrew Wiggins
Brandon Knight
Hedo Turk - not so much regret, he killed it with the Magic.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
Oakville_Raptor
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#78 » by Oakville_Raptor » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:55 am

Harrison Barnes
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,837

Post#79 » by nikster » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:12 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:I won't talk about the draft because the list would be too long and pointless, given how few players actually make it.

Evan Fournier
Nicola Batum
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (still love him, but the league moved on from this type of player)
Trey Lyles

There's not too many that I can actually think of at the moment. Great topic, though.

Raptors havent lol
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,837

Post#80 » by nikster » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:14 pm

TheFutureMM wrote:I started really following the Raps in 2009-2010 and like many of you was very aware of the gaps we had at SF and C. I remember wanting Jeff Green ala Thunder on this team to fill the SF gap... That would have been a mistake. I remember also wanting to trade Demar for Bledsoe (Clippers) back in the day - that probably would have been a wash. Also wanted M. Gasol when he was with Memphis 4-5 years before we actually got him - that wouldn't have been a mistake.

I remember thinking Jeff Green was going to be a key piece that pushed the Thunder over the top

Return to Toronto Raptors