ImageImageImageImageImage

Spicy P's minutes are very concerning

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

spicy4MVP
Sixth Man
And1: 1,963

Spicy P's minutes are very concerning 

Post#1 » by spicy4MVP » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:01 am

My man looks so burnt out, he's gonna have Demarre Carrol's legs by end of the season. Not good for play offs. Do you think coach nurse will figure something out to reduce the load? Sure, it may work short term to win a game, but come weeks when we play 4 games a week, this guy will have no legs to shoot from and we will give up winnable games like tonight. I understand injury to Ibaka and lowry played the major reason, but unfortunately injuries are part of the game and they will keep coming back. We got pretty deep squad that can step up as we witnessed. Cant nurse figure a strategy at least to reduce siakam's minutes from 42 to 36-37? Whats the problem throwing boucher/davis/jefferson into the mix for extra minutes? what is nurse thinking right now?
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,691

Re: Spicy P's minutes are very concerning 

Post#2 » by Basketball_Jones » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:14 am

This all kind of started from last seasons mandate to prioritize playing the starters more and not be so dependent on the bench as that’s what matters come playoff time. It does seem like we now have to go back to the bench mob strategy of our glorious 59 win season.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,927

Post#3 » by Kevin Willis » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:15 am

He'll be fine when we get back more players.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,523

Post#4 » by bluerap23 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:16 am

spicy4MVP wrote:what is nurse thinking right now?

Siakim on the floor tonight +3
Siakim off the floor -11 (in only 7 mins).

As bad as Pascal executed tonight he still draws all the attention and opens up the game for others.

Need Lowry back ASAP
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,746
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#5 » by Boogie! » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:22 am

bluerap23 wrote:
spicy4MVP wrote:what is nurse thinking right now?

Siakim on the floor tonight +3
Siakim off the floor -11 (in only 7 mins).

As bad as Pascal executed tonight he still draws all the attention and opens up the game for others.

Need Lowry back ASAP

Giannis only plays 33 mpg and the rest of that team is trash without him and they still win games. Nick nurse should be able to coach without having to play siakam 40 mins a game. It doesn't matter how **** you think the bench is, the season is a marathon not a sprint. When it's the playoffs all those rules can go out the window, but your star player shouldn't be burnt out 12 games into the season. Siakam is a hustle/energy guy, he can't function at a high level when he's grabbing his shorts because he's playing entire second halfs. It's not the playoffs. Nick nurse needs to wake up here.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,557

Post#6 » by VanWest82 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:28 am

I'm way more concerned with his lack of mental toughness during bad games. When he loses his composure it seems like everything goes. Very emotional player. How's that going to play out in the playoffs when things aren't going his way?
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,526

Post#7 » by mdenny » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:34 pm

I don't think his minutes are concerning.

Hypothetically, if he was 100 percent rested for every single game of 82....he would still have had games. He's not an MVP candidate and won't be. Top 20 perhaps. Top 30 for sure.

He had the most playing time in our chip run and that was the correct decision. His celling has been raised BECAUSE of playing time. He's learning. Players of all ages on every team of every calibre get gassed on the 5th game of a West road trip during injury problems and continuously competitive games.

Pascal's off nights aren't gonna be the same as off-nights for Durant/Harden/LeBron because he is not on their level. That kind of framing will get us looking for answers of misguided questions. Like blaming the coach.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#8 » by will » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Pascal ain't accustomed to being the main man and playing this many minutes.

There will be an adjustment period for PSizzle.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,965

Post#9 » by anotherhomer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:47 pm

i do recall, paul george and kawhi going thru a transition year to being the man.

that's pascal right now

Can totally understand why Kawhi wanted Paul George cuz the games showed pg is a tier above Pascal
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,220

Post#10 » by sidsid » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:14 pm

mdenny wrote:I don't think his minutes are concerning.

Hypothetically, if he was 100 percent rested for every single game of 82....he would still have had games. He's not an MVP candidate and won't be. Top 20 perhaps. Top 30 for sure.

He had the most playing time in our chip run and that was the correct decision. His celling has been raised BECAUSE of playing time. He's learning. Players of all ages on every team of every calibre get gassed on the 5th game of a West road trip during injury problems and continuously competitive games.

Pascal's off nights aren't gonna be the same as off-nights for Durant/Harden/LeBron because he is not on their level. That kind of framing will get us looking for answers of misguided questions. Like blaming the coach.

During our chip run, he was tasked with less usage and a smaller role. We're upping his usage, increasing his role (he's running point for us sometimes) and keeping his minutes high while not taking anything else off his plate.

It's true that Siakam would have good and bad games even with fewer minutes, but that's not what happened in the Mavs game nor the Clippers game. Those were fatigue games.

As a strategy, overplaying him in the hopes of winning some games only to lose other winnable ones due to fatigue isn't going to get you much on net by the end of the season. And it's pretty much a proven way to lower your production in the playoffs as burnout catches up with you. Every Rockets flame-out is due in part to this.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,859

Post#11 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:45 pm

Problem is gasol is undefended and they clog the paint. When you have a centre who cant make shots its like playing one man short.... Masai needs to address this...
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Post#12 » by SHFT » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:52 pm

will wrote:Pascal ain't accustomed to being the main man and playing this many minutes.

There will be an adjustment period for PSizzle.
Yup...im cool with anything he does basically. He needs to learn how to acy and react when his shot isnt falling. Just like how he was encouraged to shoot 3s in that stretch where it seemed like he was 0-1000.

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#13 » by MadDogSHWA » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:23 pm

Not concerning this early.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#14 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:32 pm

I feel these posts only come up when we lose. He played bad start to finish last night. It happens deal with it

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,348

Post#15 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Hes 25 and healthy. :banghead:

Looks burnt out? What a reach.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,639

Post#16 » by Kurtz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:02 pm

I lover over-reactionary posts after losses. We're the champions, yet some folks still got that defeated, fragile mentality around here.

Last game of a long, tough West coast trip, everyone is going to look tired. Guess what - we're also going to look tired against Charlotte tomorrow too, because that's how shorthanded teams look in their first game coming back from a tough West trip.

So I'm expecting more panicky posts Tuesday morning.
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,561

Post#17 » by sbsat » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Delvin Robinson dropped 40 in the last 905 game. He has intrigued me but we dont have him under contract
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#18 » by RaptorsNorth » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:04 pm

sbsat wrote:Delvin Robinson dropped 40 in the last 905 game. He has intrigued me but we dont have him under contract
who called this after we signed him ? Go back and check the thread. Nurse dropped the ball! Devin Robinson is going to be a steal for some team. I said it before and I'll say it again. That 2 way deal should have gone to him instead of Brissett. People are going to blame masai and bobby when he's another whiteside type situation, but masai is not in training camp watching players. The decision is on Nurse to make the cuts. If I'm the bucks I grab him now! Imagine if he pans out and you put him on the floor with Giannis.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,458

Post#19 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 pm

Op is right. Forget about the loss. Dating back to the Clippers game his shots were falling short which is usually due to fatigue in the legs. This has nothing to do with him adjusting to being the #1 guy. He can create his own shot and is mentally tough, but overuse is effecting his shooting and defense. Our problem now is without Lowry, we don't have anyone other than Siakam and FVV that can be counted on to give us 20+ pts consistently.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,859

Post#20 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:11 pm

I would cut Mslcom...Malcom and make room....malcolm is not nba material..

Return to Toronto Raptors